5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion

That's usually the case though isn't it?
Precisely, which is why we shouldn't be worrying about him. He's got loads of talent but not even the very best manage to go through their entire career without a dry spell.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Needs to be more aggressive. It's like he only wants to move when he has the ball.

Jaybomb

I criticised his performances before the game and got slated for it. And now it appears everyone agrees with me.

He's been invisible this season and honestly I think it's time Memphis got a run in the team now. See if he can take his chance under Mourinho.

C'est Moi Cantona

Needs dropping from the LW, and be played as the striker in the EL and League Cup to get his confidence back.

RedFish

I criticised his performances before the game and got slated for it. And now it appears everyone agrees with me.

He's been invisible this season and honestly I think it's time Memphis got a run in the team now. See if he can take his chance under Mourinho.
Mkhitaryan ahead of Memphis surely????

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Having a poor game today doesn't mean he was poor in the previous 2 games... He was decent in the other 2 games overall. Quiet first halves, and then came to life in the second. Today he got subbed off and Mkhitaryan made the difference. He's a 20 year old and in a new environment, it's ridiculous to expect him to carry us like he did last season. Different role for him and he'll learn. Don't agree at all with dropping him, especially not for Memphis and especially not in the Manchester Derby. Mkhitaryan has to start, and the other spot can be any of Martial/Lingard/Mata/Rashford. Memphis is way down the pecking order.

Sylar

A 20 year old struggling at the start of his second season. Yep.
I wouldnt mind seeing him as a sub for the derby. Might be a kick in the butt for him

Jaybomb

Having a poor game today doesn't mean he was poor in the previous 2 games... He was decent in the other 2 games overall. Quiet first halves, and then came to life in the second. Today he got subbed off and Mkhitaryan made the difference. He's a 20 year old and in a new environment, it's ridiculous to expect him to carry us like he did last season. Different role for him and he'll learn. Don't agree at all with dropping him, especially not for Memphis and especially not in the Manchester Derby. Mkhitaryan has to start, and the other spot can be any of Martial/Lingard/Mata/Rashford. Memphis is way down the pecking order.
Why does everyone keep saying he "carried us" last season? :lol:

We finished fifth.

He scored a good goal in the FA Cup semi's, that was the highlight. Rashford probably carried us more considering he scored against Arsenal/City and a great goal against West Ham in the FA Cup aswell.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I still think he should start the game against city personally, I would bring in Mkhitaryan for Mata and possibly consider changing fellaini for Schniderlin to get more legs in there but they are the only changes I would make. That could be harsh on Rashford and fellaini but think that would give us the best shot tactically.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

We finished fifth.

He scored a good goal in the FA Cup semi's, that was the highlight. Rashford probably carried us more considering he scored against Arsenal/City and a great goal against West Ham in the FA Cup aswell.
Because literally every bit of our offence ran through him? To create a chance, he had to do something. He was our leading goalscorer. Pretty sure most assists in all comps. All too often it was a nothing game until the ball came to him and then he was tasked with doing something out of nothing. All that while he was 19 in his first season in the premier league, basically his first full season as a starter as in Monaco the year before he only broke into the team as a starter half way in.

Also, Mourinho said the exact same thing as someone posted. Something like, if Martial wasn't on form, then United didn't win the game last season. This season, Martial hasn't scored but we've won every game still, and that shows we are more complete as a team and he'll have a different role to play.

Adisa

Your boy can't even get in the squad. Even if martial was dropped to the bench, Memphis would not play
And people criticising his performance today, doesn't mean they agree with you.

We finished fifth.

This is nonsense.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I've said it before and I'll say it again - his off the ball movement is very mediocre. For someone with his pace and strikers instinct, he rarely makes the diagonal runs from the LW behind the defense. His game is to wait for the ball and do something with it, but he has to realize that he can hurt the opposition with his movement even without the ball.

Adisa

I've said it before and I'll say it again - his off the ball movement is very mediocre. For someone with his pace and strikers instinct, he rarely makes the diagonal runs from the LW behind the defense. His game is to wait for the ball and do something with it, but he has to realize that he can hurt the opposition with his movement even without the ball.
This. Always wants the ball before he moves.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If you are judging things in the Van Gaal way of thinking then he may of played well. But if we are being realistic what has been happening with him this season is that the ball has been stopping dead with him and he isn't making the forward runs and beating men like he did last season. He is rather trying to come inside or shoot from distance. His work rate hasn't looked anywhere near how it was previously either.

If you compare Martial to Rashford and Mhiki performances when the two came on they were making space, running with the ball and looking to go forward at almost every opportunity. Hell I give Lingard stick at times but even he is doing that as well.
I'm judging him objectively.

According to Squawka, those are some of his stats from the game against Bournemouth: 3 take-ons, 1 interception, 2 chances created and 3 shots.

In comparison:
Mata: 0 take-ons, 1 interception,1 chance created and 2 shots.
Ibrahimovic: 1 take-on, 0 interceptions, 2 chances created and 2 shots.

Hence, it seems he's had a more than solid game. According to his numbers, he was worse against Southampton and terrible against Hull tonight, so it matches the eye-test. As I said, it's the expectations based on last season that lets people judge him poorly.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Personally I'd drop him and give him a couple of weeks off, tell him to take a holiday and get his head straight, he would come back raring to go

Ban

We finished fifth.

So his goal vs Everton was his only highlight?

Yeah that is bs. He did carry us, especially in the beginning of the season. Rashford emerged later. Most of our attacks ran through him and most of the time he was the only dangerous player.

jeff jones

Supports
''ATTACK # ATTACK''
definitely has personal problems with the ex. she made a post on instagram today with just martial's child with the caption ''Mine'' ,

NoPace

Agreed. I love Martial and do think he carried our attack last season, but he rarely seems to find a clever run. Memphis', for instance, makes far better off the ball runs that are more penetrative and clever, but he just can't carry the ball like Martial.

For all the hate Cavani gets for flubbing easy chances, he makes brilliant runs off the ball. It took him some time to adjust playing LW with Ibra up top and dropping off and hopefully Martial can get to half or 2/3rds as good without the ball as the frustrating Uruguayan.

It is possible that Martial would be making better runs as the 9 and he's just slow to adapt to a new position. Not sure how much he played LW as a youngster. Seemed to do it at Monaco less than he has for us.

U99ted

We finished fifth.

Martial contributed to 28 goals last season. Rashford scored against West Ham, after Martial earned the replay.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football

We finished fifth.

5:15, Mourinho in the embargoed part of yesterday's press conference: "last season no Martial no three points." He confessed before to watching alot of us when he went jobless (probably knew something might be in the pipeline and started doing his homework), the great man himself rated his importance very highly it seems.

Also adding to what people above me already have said, Martial scored two goals in the all important away game vs West Ham in regards to the CL. Had we gotten even a draw we would have qualified thanks to his two goals. Unfortunately he couldn't score those goals AND be Rio Ferdinand to help out at the back. Shame on him, his fault we finished fifth.

Depay who has proven his credits vs Midgetland and mighty Brugge deserves more credit. Unfortunately for you Mourinho will give him Europa League games in the Ukraine at most. Not even on the bench heh heh.

Womp

idiot
The most talented youngster in our team along with Pogba IMO, his potential is unbelievable. That being said, it seems quite likely that his off-field dramas etc. have effected his performances, he needs a few games off to get his head straight.

Good feeling that we don't have to rely on every attack to go through him anymore.

Paul 084

I think he has started quite poorly compared to what we expect of him, he just doesn't really seem to be having the effect he was in the previous season. I feel he just needs time to sort it out. That said it will probably be a harder season for him, he's not gonna stand out as easily with our additions.

If I was to guess I'd say there may be something wrong with his mentality at the moment, something like trying to overplay due to those around him. It seems like his confidence isn't as good as it was a few months back. He could also still lack some maturity which may just be enough to unsettle him if things don't go to plan. If so I think someone just needs to have a word with him. I found the comparison between him and Rashford interesting in the game today; Marcus just started from where he left off, then again twenty minutes is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe we'll play him into form, who knows. Once he's got a goal or two though I'm sure his confidence will return.

Reactions: Akshay

Dinghy

As already been mentioned, his off the ball-movement is completely nonexistent. It's as he can't move without the ball at his feet. His shooting and crossing also needs a lot of improvement. As a one-man attack he is brilliant and on his day he is unstoppable, but as a LW for me he is too one-dimensional and I don't think he'll be a huge success playing there in this system. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I saw this bad run of form coming long back. He was run to the ground last season and hasn't had much rest because of the Euros. Not surprised that he is struggling a little. It would be a good idea to let Rashford play on the LW for now and let Martial come off the bench till he can regain his form. We need him firing if we want to win the title.

jungledrums

As already been mentioned, his off the ball-movement is completely nonexistent. It's as he can't move without the ball at his feet. His shooting and crossing also needs a lot of improvement. As a one-man attack he is brilliant and on his day he is unstoppable, but as a LW for me he is too one-dimensional and I don't think he'll be a huge success playing there in this system. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.
I think this is perhaps overstated. Against a parked bus, there's no space in behind. He had to receive the ball at feet yesterday, and his movement to come inside and play one-twos is normally fantastic. You're probably right, that it'd be nice to see him get in behind more, but I wouldn't say his off the ball movement is "non-existent".

Perrick Dubois

Not worried yet, but he definitely looks much less comfortable playing on the run facing goal. Last year he would come deep and start things from a stand still almost, attack his marker who as coming at him with his explosiveness. This season he is getting the ball in his stride a lot more and I don't think he is used to playing that way.

thepolice123

TBF he had many games like that last season where he was shut down and basically a non-entity. The only difference now is that we can win even without him showing up, and his poor performance becomes even more apparent.

ottosec

I think the problem is his off the field issues. Hopefully he gets some guidance from the more experienced people at the club.

Anyway, he had a bad game yesterday, but he has shown last season that he is worth sticking with, his potential is insane.

Adisa

Played more football than any player in Europe last season. Think it's caught up with him.

MD7

Played more football than any player in Europe last season. Think it's caught up with him.
Where are you getting those numbers from, because based on the minutes played from Squawka he is #252 in the top 5 leagues in Europe. Don't forget he was injured for a while last season.

I do think you are right that he didn't have enough time to recuperate from a long season, even more so for his age. Just remember what LVG said: young players are inconsistent. He'll get back to his top form eventually, it will just take time, and there are enough players that can replace him for a while since he isn't the only spark in our attack anymore.

Coops73

I hope he's just a bit knackered and it's nothing to do with this whole number thing, he'll get his shit together soon I'm sure, he wasn't great yesterday but I think it's easy to forget he's just a bairn.

Dr Baltar

Off field dramas are not an excuse. He's looked a bit one-dimensional so far this season. Needs to go outside every now and then.
Not going to have much luck coming inside against a team that's camped out on their 18 yard box.

Status
Not open for further replies.