Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Some of you are shitting your britches like you've never seen a preseason game before. Chill.

When was the last time he played a full 90 minutes? Am I right in thinking it was the FA Cup final? I'm sure he didn't get one for France, but came back late because he was sat on the bench right up to the final. It'll take a few games to get the sharpness back, that's what preseason is for, but he didn't really get one, nor did the whole team.

Fitness aside, it's a whole new system. Look how fluid the front 4 was last night, compared to the static Subbuteo football we played last season. That will take some getting used to which will come with games.

Womp

idiot
Some of you are shitting your britches like you've never seen a preseason game before. Chill.

When was the last time he played a full 90 minutes? Am I right in thinking it was the FA Cup final? I'm sure he didn't get one for France, but came back late because he was sat on the bench right up to the final. It'll take a few games to get the sharpness back, that's what preseason is for, but he didn't really get one, nor did the whole team.

Fitness aside, it's a whole new system. Look how fluid the front 4 was last night, compared to the static Subbuteo football we played last season. That will take some getting used to which will come with games.
My worry isn't so much with his performances at the Euro's or pre-season, more so to do with his off-field issues. All that rubbish with his ex-wife or whatever she is could distract him, he's still very young.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
He was muck whenever he got on the pitch at the Euros too. In the second game against Albania when he started, he stood out as being the worst player on the pitch.

Let's be honest here - he had an excellent start to his United career, he genuinely looked like a young prodigy in his first few games but he's leveled out since then and has ranged between average and quite good.

Hope he can kick on this season but I have lower expectations of him than many on here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A big over reaction in this thread as usual. The guy has played 2x45 minutes since returning from his holiday, no wonder he isn't at his sharpest yet.

Saying that he took Coleman on a few times, had a great race with him from the half way line. The link up with Ibra will take a little while but it didn't seem bad at all. He desperately needs 90 minutes under his belt though. Was surprised Jose didn't give him 75 yesterday.

VanGaalEra

My worry isn't so much with his performances at the Euro's or pre-season, more so to do with his off-field issues. All that rubbish with his ex-wife or whatever she is could distract him, he's still very young.
That was in February, it didn't distract him towards the end of last season when he had his best run of form for us.

Kag

He was muck whenever he got on the pitch at the Euros too. In the second game against Albania when he started, he stood out as being the worst player on the pitch.

Let's be honest here - he had an excellent start to his United career, he genuinely looked like a young prodigy in his first few games but he's leveled out since then and has ranged between average and quite good.

Hope he can kick on this season but I have lower expectations of him than many on here.
He hasn't been average in the slightest. He was on fire towards the back end of last season and is one of two main reasons (the other being Rashford) we got to an FA Cup final.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

At the end of last season he had gone up a level from his first few games and was going from strength the strength. He was exceptional against Everton in the FA cup semi final and was world class against West Ham in the crucial game at Upton Park sporting two goals that simply should have guaranteed us a top 4 spot.

At the Euros he simply wasn't given the chance to play into the form but I must admit he had played a lot of football through the season and did look a little fatigued. See I watched all the France games at the Euros and I disagree that he was the worst player on the pitch against Albania. He was one of the most involved players in the first Half and did look a threat but it just wasn't quite coming off for him. Coman for contrast didn't look dangerous or poor because frankly he didn't touch the ball. I'd rather have a player that isn't afraid to get the ball and try things than a player that hides.

He's the biggest talent in world football right now, the ball is glued to his feet, he's strong as an ox and is an excellent finisher. The world is at his feet and I fully expect him to move up yet another level this year to be a more consitent world beater when combined with our better team tactics and superior individual talent in the side.

Zoo

Well that's not true. Maybe you should revise your expectations for a young player in his first season playing in a team that plays shite, negative football.

Jacko21

Your definitions of 'average' and 'quite good' must be very different to mine - and others for that matter.

With the exception of De Gea, Martial was the most consistent player for us last season. At 19 years of age.

I can't recall a game last season in which I've thought to myself, Martial has struggled. It is the consistency in which he runs past players, creates opportunities and takes his chances that leads me to believe he has the potential to be a world beater.

Name a player, since Ronaldo, who has stirred this level of excitement and anticipation at United?

I can't think of one.

Chip

Genuinely worried at how our season will go if he doesn't gain form. Miles ahead any of our players bar probably De Gea, Rashford and Pogba.
So miles ahead of Ibrahimovic but not ahead of Rashford? Come on, now.

Rashford has done very well since his debut, but at least let him perform regularly for a full half season before claiming he's on level with De Gea, Pogba and Martial let alone Zlatan. But you probably just forgot to but Zlatan in there.

But on topic: I agree with your point that Martial's performances are going to be very important to how our season unfolds! Let's hope he's at his best once the real action starts in 10 days time.

Womp

idiot
So miles ahead of Ibrahimovic but not ahead of Rashford? Come on, now.

Rashford has done very well since his debut, but at least let him perform regularly for a full half season before claiming he's on level with De Gea, Pogba and Martial let alone Zlatan. But you probably just forgot to but Zlatan in there.

But on topic: I agree with your point that Martial's performances are going to be very important to how our season unfolds! Let's hope he's at his best once the real action starts in 10 days time.
I was mainly referring to the squad we had on offer last season and how average Martial made them all look. Mkhi and Ibra are obviously some of the best players around in their positions, but as good as they are I think Martial can still be the deciding factor for us this season.

Chip

I was mainly referring to the squad we had on offer last season and how average Martial made them all look. Mkhi and Ibra are obviously some of the best players around in their positions, but as good as they are I think Martial can still be the deciding factor for us this season.
Point taken - and I agree with you. Although you did mention Pogba, who wasn't in our squad last season ;)

Smoking_Owl

He hasn't been average in the slightest. He was on fire towards the back end of last season and is one of two main reasons (the other being Rashford) we got to an FA Cup final.
I didn't say he was average during that period. Maybe you should read that part of my post again.

Smoking_Owl

Your definitions of 'average' and 'quite good' must be very different to mine - and others for that matter.

With the exception of De Gea, Martial was the most consistent player for us last season. At 19 years of age.

I can't recall a game last season in which I've thought to myself, Martial has struggled. It is the consistency in which he runs past players, creates opportunities and takes his chances that leads me to believe he has the potential to be a world beater.

Name a player, since Ronaldo, who has stirred this level of excitement and anticipation at United?

I can't think of one.
This is the thing you see. The standard of our football was so slow, tumescent and gernerally poor that it wasn't difficult for a young pacy forward who's excellent at dribbling to stand out. This has led to people overrating him and elevated expectations beyond what they should be, IMO.

Kag

I didn't say he was average during that period. Maybe you should read that part of my post again.

I thought he had a great season and was our only attacking player even worthy of the shirt last season, to be honest. Martial is a genuine superstar and he'll be ripping it up in no time at all.

Smoking_Owl

I thought he had a great season and was our only attacking player even worthy of the shirt last season, to be honest. Martial is a genuine superstar and he'll be ripping it up in no time at all.
He had a great season relative to many of our other players, I agree.

Look, I think he's a very good footballer with more improvement left in him and I think he'll have a good career at the top level but I just have doubts about this 'elite' level he's expected to reach.

Jacko21

This is the thing you see. The standard of our football was so slow, tumescent and gernerally poor that it wasn't difficult for a young pacy forward who's excellent at dribbling to stand out. This has led to people overrating him and elevated expectations beyond what they should be, IMO.
I respectfully disagree. Anyone who has watched football for long enough knows when they see a player that is (or has the potential to be) on another level to his fellow professionals.

Martial is a raw, gifted individual who is capable of producing irrespective of the players he has around him. So to say that because the build-up play was slow, this somehow amplified his ability, seems flawed in my opinion.

Like I said, I haven't had such confidence in a player since Ronaldo emerged.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
A big over reaction in this thread as usual. The guy has played 2x45 minutes since returning from his holiday, no wonder he isn't at his sharpest yet.

Saying that he took Coleman on a few times, had a great race with him from the half way line. The link up with Ibra will take a little while but it didn't seem bad at all. He desperately needs 90 minutes under his belt though. Was surprised Jose didn't give him 75 yesterday.
Utter utter rubbish. He was in fantastic form towards the end of the season.
Edit: Sorry, this post wasn't a reply to buy but the nonsense @Smoking_Owl posted.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja

Ridiculous post

Kag

Look, I think he's a very good footballer with more improvement left in him and I think he'll have a good career at the top level but I just have doubts about this 'elite' level he's expected to reach.
Fair enough. I genuinely believe he can be one of the best players in the world. It's a big call, but he's as good as anything out there his age, if not better.

Adisa

So which young player do you expect to reach elite level?

CG1010

So you agree that he has pace and excellent at dribbling. What major flaws do you see in his game due to which you are so conservative?

Smoking_Owl

So which young player do you expect to reach elite level?
I rarely expect a young player to reach the elite level, as so few do. But I'd give Luke Shaw more of a chance of becoming an elite footballer in his position. Again, I'm not saying Martial won't as he certainly has a chance - I just have more doubts about it than some on here.

Smoking_Owl

So you agree that he has pace and excellent at dribbling. What major flaws do you see in his game due to which you are so conservative?
Mainly his first touch. It can be quite erratic at times and it's not something that is usually improved upon with age. I feel he'll have to improve big time in other aspects of his game in order to compensate for this, if he is to reach an elite level.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Nonsense, he stood out for being a fantastic player, he stood out as one of the players of season throughout the league, you won't find many opposition fans agreeing with that notion either.

CG1010

Mainly his first touch. It can be quite erratic at times and it's not something that is usually improved upon with age. I feel he'll have to improve big time in other aspects of his game in order to compensate for this, if he is to reach an elite level.
What? He has excellent close control due to which he is able to get past people even when surrounded by 2-3 defenders. Even when he was playing as a striker, he showed very good ball holding capabilities, which cannot come without a good touch.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
@Smoking_Owl no United teenager post war has scored more goal in his debut season at the club, he sits level with Kidd and Rooney and well above Charlton and Whiteside. All without being played centrally.

Adisa

As far as young attackers go, Martial has as good a chance as any of reaching elite level imo.
Considering he performed as well as he did when he had the entire focus of the opposition defense on him, I'm surprised as to how anyone cannot be optimistic about his development.

CG1010

As far as young attackers go, Martial has as good a chance as any of reaching elite level imo.
Considering he performed as well as he did when he had the entire focus of the opposition defense on him, I'm surprised as to how anyone cannot be optimistic about his development.
Can't agree more.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The team is still finding attacking cohesion, but even still - he didn't really do anything wrong last night, or against Gala for that matter. He will get better and better as the team settles I imagine.

He's a phenomenal talent, as in literally, not in the Roberto Martinez sense of the word.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I didn't like him having to cross the ball so often though. That shits not for him. He's not a winger and if he's relied upon to play that roll then he'll have a disapointing season.

ZDwyr

I didn't see the match but the thought of him having a bit if a dip this season doesn't surprise me. Hopefully people don't go over the top with criticism if that were to happen.

Adisa

I didn't like him having to cross the ball so often though. That shits not for him. He's not a winger and if he's relied upon to play that roll then he'll have a disapointing season.
I can't imagine he will be under instructions to keep crossing the ball. Mourinho didn't give those intstructions to Hazard.

RedStarUnited

I didn't see the match but the thought of him having a bit if a dip this season doesn't surprise me. Hopefully people don't go over the top with criticism if that were to happen.
He is still very young, he had a dip mid season last year too but then picked it up in the last 10-15 games.

3KDré

He's been playing a lot more in the last season. Just looks jaded and out of energy. Perhaps he will pick up as the season goes on but to base him on pre-season would be ludicrous to say the least.

dichinero

I just worry for this kid after seeing how many fans have tossed Januzaj et al out of the window on "attitude" claims. People forget that these guys are still kids and then performing at 18/19 is statistically abnormal.

Status
Not open for further replies.