Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Knowing what he is capable of its hard to drop him but it's also hard not to play Rashford now

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Great cross for Ibra at the start of the game, but I agree he had a poor game and deserved to be subbed off.

In Rainbows

He had an anonymous game (same with 1st half of both of the last games) and in that sense he was poor, but he's not really messing up our attack with poor touches and passes. I would still like to see him start along with Mkhi.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I'm worried about him. He's a fantastic talent but doesn't seem to be settling into this new system or something. This won't be popular, but I also think he might be missing LVG. They seemed to have a good relationship. He was also developing a good understanding with Marcus as well. Now he seems to have trouble adjusting some.

I dunno, but he needs to get his head down before he's dropped to the bench.

space

Wasn't his best game, don't know why people are getting on his back ,I feel like the euros took a lot of his confidence out, it's slowly coming back. Still has had some nice moments during the game. Luckily we play so many games this season and I have faith in Mourinho to bring his confidence back.

Brightonian

Chill, he'll be fine. Playing into a ten-man defence is never going to suit him, but most teams will have more of a go at us than Hull did. Meanwhile we have good options like Rashford if Mou wants to rest him for a bit.

AndyJ1985

Don't know what's going on with him lately but he's not the same player we seen last season. Might be a good idea to give the lad a rest to sort his head out. We have adequate replacements in Rashford and Mkhitaryan.

JoaquinJoaquin

He was poor today but he was not poor in the other two games. It's as if some just waited for him to underperform.

At the same time, one can't expect him to be the most dominant force on the team anymore simply because we are a better team with better players this year. He did well in the other two games overall and yet people complain because they're used to seeing him carry the offensive load all by himself.

I'm not gonna deny that his private issues are still not distracting him but it is solely his fault. He let the fame get to his head, started banging other chicks and lost what seemed like a decent and very sexy girl. He needs to get his head straight and focus on football and nothing but football.
He was poor in the other 2 games though. It's not an agenda against him, we all want to see the Martial we know of last season but so far his personal issues are really eating away at him and it's time he has a game or two on the bench.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I'm worried about him. He's a fantastic talent but doesn't seem to be settling into this new system or something. This won't be popular, but I also think he might be missing LVG. They seemed to have a good relationship. He was also developing a good understanding with Marcus as well. Now he seems to have trouble adjusting some.

He was basically facing two players each time and hes smart enough to know when not to take a player on because he is double teamed. What happened then was as time went on the Hull City players got more tired and more space opened up for the likes of Myhkitarian and Rashford.

Away from home, with Hull having ten men in their box and it pissing rain which makes the ball slippy, was always going to be tough. Now in the end we should have beaten them by three nil, but i wouldn't be critical of Martial. How many times was the ball played into Zlatan and he miss controlled because he is surrounded by players and the ball is like grease.

Reactions: Akshay

Sir Roi de Muppeterre

Clearly, he is out of form. The dilemma is, should a young player who obviously has all the talent in the world be dropped for poor showings, or should he be given a vote of confidence and be allowed to play himself out of bad form.

Thankfully I don't have to make that decision. Jose is a top manager and probably have better understanding of why Martial is under performing. I trust him to make the right call here.

Red_toad

Second season syndrome or just a dip in form, who knows. Some reading far too much into things, lads only young and will obviously have some poor games. I'm not worried about him long term, he certainly has the talent to earn a starting spot in the team.
I can see Marcus edging him out of the team, be nice to see how he responds.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
He was poor in the other 2 games though. It's not an agenda against him, we all want to see the Martial we know of last season but so far his personal issues are really eating away at him and it's time he has a game or two on the bench.
He was good in the second halves against Bournemouth and especially Southampton.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He simply wasn't. He played good 1-2s, attacked the defense successfully, created chances and even did the work defensively. It just seems underwhelming when he was so clearly head and shoulders above everyone else last year.

If it's not an agenda, it's an overreaction. Today he was poor, in the other two games he wasn't.

Dion

Said this about him at the end of May.

I can see him having a difficult second season, but that doesn't mean we should be any less excited (hell, even Messi had a difficult 07-08 season by his standards).
And when asked why:
Higher expectations from the fans, less prominent role in the side (usually a good thing, but people will be less accepting of his mistakes if the ball was supposed to go to Ibra rather than Rashford and it's possible if we're not abject he may even be rotated), won't have a full pre-season because of the Euros and probably switch off a little bit due to complacency.
Nothing to worry about though.

legball

He had a poor game, one of his worst in a United shirt. Jose needs to have a word with him, an arm around the shoulder etc, I think he's struggling with the system + requirement to defend more, and maybe his personal affairs too? He's allowed a dip in form, but in my opinion should be played into form.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He was basically facing two players each time and hes smart enough to know when not to take a player on because he is double teamed. What happened then was as time went on the Hull City players got more tired and more space opened up for the likes of Myhkitarian and Rashford.

Away from home, with Hull having ten men in their box and it pissing rain which makes the ball slippy, was always going to be tough. Now in the end we should have beaten them by three nil, but i wouldn't be critical of Martial. How many times was the ball played into Zlatan and he miss controlled because he is surrounded by players and the ball is like grease.
Yeah I know. Not being critical of Martial. Just worried for him cause I don't want him dropped.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
I made a post here before the start of the season outlining my big worries over Martial and how he doesn't look right. A lot scoffed at the post.

I don't think they're scoffing now. This is turning into a HUGE issue.

sportsczy

Supports
Real Madrid
All the France NT players are starting very slow... remember that the Euro final was 6 weeks ago and it was a heartbreaker. I don't think any of them are mentally or physically ready at this point. Even though Martial didn't play much during the tournament, he practiced every day and was part of the group. Very little time off.

I also mentioned a while back that not being a CF in a 4231 is a big problem for Martial. Being wide in a 433 is ok... not in a 4231. The tactic really doesn't suit him as a wide player.

Ban

Don't be worried. He's out of form, his head isn't in it right now. It will pass.

Ban

I made a post here before the start of the season outlining my big worries over Martial and how he doesn't look right. A lot scoffed at the post.

I don't think they're scoffing now. This is turning into a HUGE issue.
I expect you to make a thread when our season is over to prove you're right.

JoaquinJoaquin

He simply wasn't. He played good 1-2s, attacked the defense successfully, created chances and even did the work defensively. It just seems underwhelming when he was so clearly head and shoulders above everyone else last year.

If it's not an agenda, it's an overreaction. Today he was poor, in the other two games he wasn't.
If you are judging things in the Van Gaal way of thinking then he may of played well. But if we are being realistic what has been happening with him this season is that the ball has been stopping dead with him and he isn't making the forward runs and beating men like he did last season. He is rather trying to come inside or shoot from distance. His work rate hasn't looked anywhere near how it was previously either.

If you compare Martial to Rashford and Mhiki performances when the two came on they were making space, running with the ball and looking to go forward at almost every opportunity. Hell I give Lingard stick at times but even he is doing that as well.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Martial will be fine, he is just 20 and he played an awful lot of football last season and then went to Euros with France in summer. PL teams are also more wary and crowding him with 2 players whenever he has the ball. He badly needs a goal to build his confidence, once that goes in he'll play more like Martial we know. You just can't lose your instinct to go past a player on the back of a poor summer. It'll be difficult for him to scale the heights he reached last year but that is to be expected given his age and this being his second season. People need to temper their expectations a bit.

Raw Cantona

Clearly, he is out of form. The dilemma is, should a young player who obviously has all the talent in the world be dropped for poor showings, or should he be given a vote of confidence and be allowed to play himself out of bad form.

Thankfully I don't have to make that decision. Jose is a top manager and probably have better understanding of why Martial is under performing. I trust him to make the right call here.
Play him into form for me, and what's the alternative on the left anyway?
Tough for him against sides playing so deep, he'll have more space against City for sure and out of form or not, they will be worried about him.

sportsczy

Supports
Real Madrid
3 games in... relax people lol. It's not even September yet.

Devil may care

20 year old players having a poor spell of form is par for the course, he looks out of sorts and couldn't get past his fullback at all today.

Dir Wangem

I think he needs more space.

Rooney might get the numbers, but his overall play is mediocre. A result of this is that there's no penetration down the center. This makes it harder to play on the wing.

Get In Scholesy

Today Mata drifted in field many times, like he had a free role when we had possession. The over clogging in the middle of the pitch seemed to affect Martial's movement and overall game.

That being said, he hasn't had a spectacular 3 or 4 games, which is fine considering his age. He has played a lot of football over the past 12 months, he can't be hitting top gear all the time, especially at 20 years old. As his career goes on he will begin to understand when the time is right to expel the most energy.

Rightful substitution today though, and it paid off well.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Martial has the habit of coming to the ball, rather than making runs ahead of it. If he was making the kind of runs Lingard is so good at he'd be performing much better. Shown up by Marcus' movement.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He still doesn't look sharp, Rasford should be starting in his spot currently, once he does find form though he'll add another dimension i'm sure.

Ace of Spades

He had a poor game today, think he just needs to get off the mark to get the pressure off.

Status
Not open for further replies.