6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngliaRed

3 goals in 18 appearances I think it is for Sanchez. Martial had 11 already by January and possibly may have got around 20 if he had continued playing. There's no comparison between the two this season. Martial has been much better even when you factor in Sanchez's performances for Arsenal. Even if Sanchez had matched what Martial done in the 1st half of the season it still wouldn't have made any sense because we already had a player who was playing well on the left and in January was in his best form. I was one of those who thought Sanchez would've gone on the right and we'd play a front 3 of Martial - Lukaku - Sanchez but unfortunately it never happened. If it was to play on the left then we shouldn't have signed him at all. Why didn't we buy someone like Mahrez instead because he's an actual RW and keep Martial and Rashford rotating on the left like they were the whole season? Very poor management by Mourinho and now we are at risk of losing Martial to add salt to the wounds.
Great post, we’re crying out for a player like Mahrez on the right. We wont challenge for the title with Lingard and Mata on the right and I’m big fans of them both. Sanchez is a luxury player and he’s upset the whole dynamics of the team. Martial was starting on the left and scoring. If we lose Martial this summer we will be worse off than before the January window. I hope Jose has a RW signed in principle ready to the hit pre season running because I cant handle another 4-2-3-1 with Lingard, Mata or Rashford starting. Losing Martial will be a disaster because he will go to Juventus or Munich and start LF and do well.

goin4glory

Posters beginning to mythologise Martial and his reputation in France, Deschamps has never rated him. Been dropped for Florian Thauvin which says it all.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No France call up is/was the nail in the coffin. What a shame. We will be very sad in a few years

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Dembele didn’t play much and he still got called up.
  • He has played more since the start of March than Martial has (617 minutes in the league (57% of available minutes in that time) compared to 238 (38% of available minutes including discounting the Palace, Liverpool and Watford games which he was injured for) for Martial)
  • In better form (3 goals, 5 assists since the start of March compared to 0 for Martial)
And Deschamps has said why he omitted Martial and Lacazette here:

“They were good against Germany (in November 2017), but that was only one match. That aside, there were a bit less (good). It is a total analysis regarding what they could have done in certain situations, and in terms of what role they might have had in the squad. I consider Giroud, Griezmann, Fékir and Mbappé as central attackers. Kylian and Antoine can play in other positions. Kylian is more central, that is where he is best.”

So from the sound of things, his competition was more central than out wide and unfortunately for him, Griezmann, Fekir and Mbappe had better seasons and Giroud provides something different. All four have played more regularly over the last few months too.

haram

And Deschamps has said why he omitted Martial and Lacazette here:

“They were good against Germany (in November 2017), but that was only one match. That aside, there were a bit less (good). It is a total analysis regarding what they could have done in certain situations, and in terms of what role they might have had in the squad. I consider Giroud, Griezmann, Fékir and Mbappé as central attackers. Kylian and Antoine can play in other positions. Kylian is more central, that is where he is best.”

So from the sound of things, his competition was more central than out wide and unfortunately for him, Griezmann, Fekir and Mbappe had better seasons and Giroud provides something different. All four have played more regularly over the last few months too.
Does Martial not play on the left for France as well though?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's purely about form with Martial for Deschamps. There's a lot of armchair analysis of Deschamps in regards to Tony, but he has nothing against the kid. At the Euro, he was simply exhausted and out of form. He was not ready for that tournament, which motivated Martial to work on his endurance more as he's lacking there. When he was stringing good performances before Sanchez came, he was getting reintegrated and I'll argue he could have very possibly made the squad had Sanchez not come and taken his spot without deserving it. The injury wasn't long enough to undo the good work he had been doing. But once he was relegated back to the bench and playing sporadically, that was going to be the nail in the coffin for his chance of making the world cup.

It's just the way it is, I don't think the vitriol against Martial possibly leaving is warranted because he did come back from a long way out last season after being the team's highest scorer in his first year. There's just something not right with Mourinho and Martial and it's got to end because the guy is clearly not being treated the same as the other players by the coach despite being one of the team's most productive player. Now, we could all be in for a shock and Martial ends up staying and they find a way to work it out, but I really doubt it and maybe it'll be for the best for both parties to call it a wrap this summer.

Swift Football

It's just the way it is, I don't think the vitriol against Martial possibly leaving is warranted because he did come back from a long way out last season after being the team's highest scorer in his first year. There's just something not right with Mourinho and Martial and it's got to end because the guy is clearly not being treated the same as the other players by the coach despite being one of the team's most productive player. Now, we could all be in for a shock and Martial ends up staying and they find a way to work it out, but I really doubt it and maybe it'll be for the best for both parties to call it a wrap this summer.
Agree ..it is better for both parties if martial leaves. If he moves to Arsenal, he will get good game time and we will also get to see lot of his matches. The kid has talent, no doubt about it.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The France thing is not a big issue. He wasn't good enough for them when he had his chance. Players with a better season have not made the list as well: Rabiot.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The World Cup snub has to affect Martial. He should be there. He has the talent, he has the skill, but he doesn’t have the mentality.

He’ll either take this like he should and work harder, or he’ll throw his toys out of the pram and blame Mourinho.

I hope to god it’s the former and he comes out next year and not only destroys Sanchez, but becomes our talisman!

Silver

The reaction to his France omission from some quarters is ridiculous - like why is Martial so entitled to a place in the France squad or the United team? He was playing well before Sanchez but hardly game changing. In fact, it's his performances after Sanchez arrived that should be concerning in terms of his mentality -if Martial was the great player as many would have believe here then he wouldn't let Sanchez affect his game but Martial got chances and did nothing to show that he deserves preferential treatment.

MuranoLover

I wonder now if he is blaming Jose / us for this or he will think that he is the one to prove more

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The France thing is not a big issue. He wasn't good enough for them when he had his chance. Players with a better season have not made the list as well: Rabiot.
That's funny, because Martial had better performances than Rabiot for France. They've both underperformed compared to their club form, Deschamps is usually pretty coy about those things but he specifically mentioned Rabiot by name in saying he doesn't show the same level for France, and he's definitely right on that. Rabiot is talented, but he's very soft in his head, his mentality needs a lot of work and hopefully that's a wake up call for him.

Chelsea 1:0 Man Utd

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Didn't get involved as much as I'd liked when he came on, but he still showed more threat than Rashford, Sanchez and probably Lingard (although he'd started to get into the match for the final 5 or 10 minutes before he was subbed) did in their entire games.

Of course, that's Martial in a nutshell. Shows a lot of ability and scares the defenders, but just doesn't actually get on the ball enough.

spiriticon

I like Martial but reading the caf has started to really put me off him this season.

Never has a player been so protected for doing sweet feck all most times.

Rashford and Martial are BOTH equally subpar and equally part of the attacking problem this season.

Silas

Better than the rest of the shite we had in attack. Also created one of our few good chances with the corner ball to Pogba. Ideally, we'd have started with the front three that finished the game, but oh well.

Litch

Not sure better than rest, just came on when the game was with us chasing the game so his role was pretty simple. I think he's a good player but not for us in how we play. It's not easy being an attacking player for Utd as Jose relies on individual brilliance to often to get a goal and not attacking play....

Yagami

Good post resistant
Comes on and creates, what, our only real clear cut chance despite all the possession? Shame José never gave him a proper run in the team this season. What a waste of a year.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
That last effort from him was shite. However, I thought he was fairly ok overall and was a threat. Also sent that ball in that Pogba should have scored from.

That might be the last he plays for us as well.

Raw

I thought he wasn't that good but he had bright sparks here and there. More that can be said about the others.

Wonder what he'd be like if he was given a consistent starting role, even with Sanchez coming in.

JohnnyKills

Wasn't great today. None of us know what's going on behind the scenes but he plays like he's had enough with JM.

Tarrou

We had a great thing going for a while with him and Martial competing hard for left wing. Sanchez came in instead and is absolute wank.

Is there any point in Martial staying here at this point? He should go and get regular football elsewhere, as much as I'd hate that to happen.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Usual performance in his cameo, looks like he's going to do something then runs into trouble or his final ball goes out of play or to the opposition. The corner in the final minute summed him, no end product whatsoever.

Silas

Usual performance in his cameo, looks like he's going to do something then runs into trouble or his final ball goes out of play or to the opposition. The corner in the final minute summed him, no end product whatsoever.
I'm guessing you missed the corner just before.

Ashish Negi

You did not see chance which Pogba missed from his pass.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not like he put a corner right on Pogbas head 6 yards out or anything

TheRedHearted

I wonder now if he is blaming Jose / us for this or he will think that he is the one to prove more
I hate to say it, but by the kid's demeanor and even posture believe it or not, he thinks too much. Simply put-he needs to be freer (a-by a team, and b-by his own accord). I saw him on the left side today and although he didn't give up the ball he did slow himself down a lot as opposed to hitting it head on. I would have loved to seen him play centrally (possibly one last time). Such a shame he got stuck out on the left just because we haven't signed wingers in the past couple of years (besides Di Maria)

MuranoLover

I hate to say it, but by the kid's demeanor and even posture believe it or not, he thinks too much. Simply put-he needs to be freer (a-by a team, and b-by his own accord). I saw him on the left side today and although he didn't give up the ball he did slow himself down a lot as opposed to hitting it head on. I would have loved to seen him play centrally (possibly one last time). Such a shame he got stuck out on the left just because we haven't signed wingers in the past couple of years (besides Di Maria)
He keeps making wrong decisions and trying doing things that is so obvious won't work - he must watch himself from aside and watch more and more plays of better players than him so he can learn faster what to do and more or less it is also down to the 6th sense which leads you what to do in those situations when you don't have much time to think - you either have it and are a great player or don't

TheRedHearted

He keeps making wrong decisions and trying doing things that is so obvious won't work - he must watch himself from aside and watch more and more plays of better players than him so he can learn faster what to do and more or less it is also down to the 6th sense which leads you what to do in those situations when you don't have much time to think - you either have it and are a great player or don't
Well exactly- when anyone over thinks we tend to not be present with what's going on around us and way too over critical on ourselves and the situation. He needs to have more fun to be honest. He's still young- can definitely learn that if he goes to a club with that type of mentality.

I can't blame him for being frustrated, considering United seems to be the only top club that would take someone who was doing quite well and had potential in one position and then stick him in a completely different one. Why have we been doing that? Central midfielders into wingers, strikers into wingers, wingers into fullbacks. So ineffective.

You would think Valencia as a former winger would bring attacking flair as a full-back, but no. It's as if he thinks about his defensive duties and can't put a late cross in. His early crosses are all pretty strong, have no idea why he feels the need to take a couple more touches and try to bring it deeper.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Name me an attacking player that is currently flourishing under mourinho’s management and you may have a point.

One of our better players when he came on. He was running at his man and trying to make things happen, which was more than could be said for the other forwards. I do think he needs to stay wider though, he drifts in too far and it gets congested.

Status
Not open for further replies.