6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

I suspect it may be because of the times he was bought in through substitutions that elevates his stats. Anyway, Chelsea are quite poor this season
Apart from Goals which Hazard scored 16 last year Martials stats in other areas are better than Hazards last year when he won a title.

I hate this idea people have that it’s only because it was against tired legs. What’s to say he wouldn’t have done the same thing or more if he was started. I’m sure that tiredness vs freshness in some part probably does have a minute impact but then what happens if one player is just a lot fitter. Also take in to account that sometimes it’s quite difficult to get up to speed and to the tempo of a game from the bench. These are also highly trained athletes now that are built to go 90 minutes.

On this Balor d’or thing. Raw talent and ability he maybe does have those raw tools, gifts to get himself in to a conversation about it. I’m not convinced he has the drive to put in the hard work like a Ronaldo did to get himself in to that bracket. So for me he’ll probably be a very good player here or somewhere else but will I don’t think ever get to the level his talent has shown he could if that makes any sense.

Andersons Dietician

Sky put up an intresting stat the other day of Rashford and Martials performance pre Sanchez. Everything has dropped off as well as the minutes they have been allowed on the pitch. It was drastic and showed the impact his arrival has had.

ash_86

Apart from Goals which Hazard scored 16 last year Martials stats in other areas are better than Hazards last year when he won a title.

I hate this idea people have that it’s only because it was against tired legs. What’s to say he wouldn’t have done the same thing or more if he was started. I’m sure that tiredness vs freshness in some part probably does have a minute impact but then what happens if one player is just a lot fitter. Also take in to account that sometimes it’s quite difficult to get up to speed and to the tempo of a game from the bench. These are also highly trained athletes now that are built to go 90 minutes.
There is no assumption. He is more effective coming off the bench. just as breakout67 said

Your suspicion is confirmed. Martial's 8 goals and assists from the bench have come in 88 minutes of game time.

Martial when he starts games has average output for an attacker, the output of a player still developing and learning his game.

On this Balor d’or thing. Raw talent and ability he maybe does have those raw tools, gifts to get himself in to a conversation about it. I’m not convinced he has the drive to put in the hard work like a Ronaldo did to get himself in to that bracket. So for me he’ll probably be a very good player here or somewhere else but will I don’t think ever get to the level his talent has shown he could if that makes any sense.
I agree with this.

Andersons Dietician

There is no assumption. He is more effective coming off the bench. just as breakout67 said

I agree with this.
Sorry I can’t see what Breakout has written, blocked him I guess.

I just don’t get what the difference really is. Who cares if it’s off a bench or isn’t scoring a goal getting an assist setting up big chances should all just be counted equally no matter what minute they are in. He should have about 4 more goals as he has gotten in great positions a few times and hasn’t been picked out even tho it’s an easy pass to him. Sure Hazard has probably had similar. I just don’t like people using the time of a goal or when a player has come on as an excuse.

What’s important is that statistically he has matched Hazard and through goals, assists, chances created he is impacting games at a similar level. Difference is the other things that can’t be measured like taking people out of games or his runs. Something I’m positive Hazard has him beat on tho.

Last edited:

Tekkerss

Leroy Sane has been very inconsistent. He has had a bad game once in every 3/4. Sane once went 4 months without scoring a single goal this season. Did pep criticize him? Yes. Did pep drop him? Absolutely not. He understands young talent and knows it's important to keep them playing through their form, unless it becomes too damaging to the team.

Leroy sane's game against crystal palace in December was worse than any game martial had this season. It was proper disgusting. What happened next? He didn't get dropped, instead Pep stuck with him as he knows the best way to develop youngsters is to nurture them and keep them playing. This resulted in him winning PFA young player of the year. Also, don't give me that nonsense about "We don't have time to develop youth." Fergie still did it when he had some of his worst managerial years from 2004-2006. Pep does it and won the league all the while breaking records. Klopp does it and he's in the Cl final. Jardim did it last season and won the league against PSG. Poch does it, although he hasn't won anything, his teams are remarkable and overachieving.

Unlike Jose, Pep doesn't shift his most talented player when they are producing their best bit of form, scoring goals week in, week out to the right for a player who is performing horrifically and continues to perform horrifically for 4 months of the season. Pep wouldn't drop him for a player who derailed our season by upsetting the balance of our team, all the while, performing disgustingly. How is it fair that Sanchez is allowed to play despite having only 1-2 notable games since he joined, even though he performs pathetically. You lot talk about inconsistency with Martial. How about you talk about that with Sanchez? Performs very good for 1 half against city, then the next week he drops a disaster class. Performs very good against Tottenham. Next week, he stinks up the pitch against Arsenal. This is probably even worse, considering you would think he would be up for it against his former team.

prath92

Leroy Sane has been very inconsistent. He has had a bad game once in every 3/4. Sane once went 4 months without scoring a single goal this season. Did pep criticize him? Yes. Did pep drop him? Absolutely not. He understands young talent and knows it's important to keep them playing through their form, unless it becomes too damaging to the team.

Leroy sane's game against crystal palace in December was worse than any game martial had this season. It was proper disgusting. What happened next? He didn't get dropped, instead Pep stuck with him as he knows the best way to develop youngsters is to nurture them and keep them playing. This resulted in him winning PFA young player of the year. Also, don't give me that nonsense about "We don't have time to develop youth." Fergie still did it when he had some of his worst managerial years from 2004-2006. Pep does it and won the league all the while breaking records. Klopp does it and he's in the Cl final. Jardim did it last season and won the league against PSG. Poch does it, although he hasn't won anything, his teams are remarkable and overachieving.

Unlike Jose, Pep doesn't shift his most talented player when they are producing their best bit of form, scoring goals week in, week out to the right for a player who is performing horrifically and continues to perform horrifically for 4 months of the season. Pep wouldn't drop him for a player who derailed our season by upsetting the balance of our team, all the while, performing disgustingly. How is it fair that Sanchez is allowed to play despite having only 1-2 notable games since he joined, even though he performs pathetically. You lot talk about inconsistency with Martial. How about you talk about that with Sanchez? Performs very good for 1 half against city, then the next week he drops a disaster class. Performs very good against Tottenham. Next week, he stinks up the pitch against Arsenal. This is probably even worse, considering you would think he would be up for it against his former team.
Pep reportedly wanted to buy Sanchez and Mahrez. You think they would have been benched if they were bought? I don’t. So it’s likely Pep would have done exactly that.

Litch

I'm not betting person but I'd sooner have Sanchez now than Martial. Already seen Sanchez's class and he's been here only 4 months, and we know his qualities when at Arsenal. Not saying I don't like Martial but his games at present requires too many conditions to be right. Even if Sanchez is poor, you still get work rate and endeavour. If I was Martial, I'd stay around and see what I can learn from him cause a bit more of the same would take his game onto another level.....

Canagel

3 times our player of the month. Despite being in and out of the team all season. Nobody in our team has the ceiling that Martial has. When he is at full flight he is better than Lukaku IMO. If we let him go it will be one of the worst decisions the club has ever made.

haram

Pep wanted Sanchez and Mahrez as well. One of Sterling or Sane would have dropped out. Lets not act like Stones has not got the same treatment.

ZombieFootball

You can’t expect huge numbers from him when plays almost as a box to box winger, same goes for Rashford. We are not playing to the strenght of technical flair players, Martial biggest strenghts are dribbling vs and unsettled defence, finishing and quick link up, and you cant get the most out of that when hes asked to defend almost in hes own box, i suspect he will leave in the summer and its probably for the best for him, he will probably flourish under an attack minded coach while we add more fighters and hard workers for the Mourinho machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canagel

Mourinho is not interested in working with young talents like Martial. If he was a chef he would always buy a ready meal. Never actually cook anything himself. He will always prefer the tried and tested and doesn't care about developing the players with quality. Martial has a higher ceiling than both Sanchez and Lukaku. Over time I have no doubt he will surpass both of them. Even now you can say Martial has had a much better season than Sanchez.
Martial before Sanchez arrived had just won his 3rd player of the month award (nobody even had 2 at that point) and had just scored in 3 consecutive PL games. He has been much better than Sanchez this season who hasn't even hit top form at Arsenal. It's just terrible management.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Mourinho is not interested in working with young talents like Martial. If he was a chef he would always buy a ready meal. Never actually cook anything himself. He will always prefer the tried and tested and doesn't care about developing the players with quality. Martial has a higher ceiling than both Sanchez and Lukaku. Over time I have no doubt he will surpass both of them. Even now you can say Martial has had a much better season than Sanchez.
Martial before Sanchez arrived had just won his 3rd player of the month award (nobody even had 2 at that point) and had just scored in 3 consecutive PL games. He has been much better than Sanchez this season who hasn't even hit top form at Arsenal. It's just terrible management.
Martial was a lazy bollox long before Sanchez arrived. He's got talent but his work ethic is non existent. Thats no good in the PL.

Martial hasnt anyone but himself to blame for lack of game time.

PepsiCola

Martial was a lazy bollox long before Sanchez arrived. He's got talent but his work ethic is non existent. Thats no good in the PL.

Martial hasnt anyone but himself to blame for lack of game time.
Let's not act like jose doesn't clearly have his favourites and isn't clearly very hypocritical.

McGrathsipan

Let's not act like jose doesn't clearly have his favourites and isn't clearly very hypocritical.
Maybe he does but why are they his favourites?

If i was managing martial id be pulling my hair out. Clearly a lovely footballer but his mentality isn't right.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I keep hearing how Martial is lazy and lost his place, but really, what has Sanchez done to even deserve a starting spot ahead of him and to keep it? He hasn't been good either and the problem is, there was no true, fair competition between the two of them. Sanchez got the benefit of the doubt because of his performances for Arsenal. But the reality is, Sanchez also deserved to be benched more often than he has been. He hasn't had to earn much and that'll always be a problem for other players. You can't demand player A to 'earn' his spot (which Martial did before Sanchez's arrival) and hand that said spot over to player B without significant consequences.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
3 times our player of the month. Despite being in and out of the team all season. Nobody in our team has the ceiling that Martial has. When he is at full flight he is better than Lukaku IMO. If we let him go it will be one of the worst decisions the club has ever made.
The only way he stays is if Mourinho goes imo.

I do think that it will be a massive mistake if we sell him as the lad definitely has the quality to succeed here. The consistency he currently lacks will come with maturity.

Swift Football

Now there's report of Martial + £40m for Willian!? How about the other way round!
It is the other way round.
If Chelsea are signing Martial, does that possibly mean Hazard is possibly going to City? City were interested in Sanchez, a player somewhat like Hazard who can play wide forward as well as fill in CF as false no. 9.

Martial needs to play at midfield. Left midfield. He has the natural ability to dribble and also makes rapid runs to the box from midfield.
A midfield that does not move? No. Center forward and LW is best for him.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I keep hearing how Martial is lazy and lost his place, but really, what has Sanchez done to even deserve a starting spot ahead of him and to keep it? He hasn't been good either and the problem is, there was no true, fair competition between the two of them. Sanchez got the benefit of the doubt because of his performances for Arsenal. But the reality is, Sanchez also deserved to be benched more often than he has been. He hasn't had to earn much and that'll always be a problem for other players. You can't demand player A to 'earn' his spot (which Martial did before Sanchez's arrival) and hand that said spot over to player B without significant consequences.
Even when he's poor, Sanchez never stops trying. Martyrial doesn't really seem to fancy football without the ball.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If he gets the same sort of freedom in a 3-4-3 that Hazard / Willian gets at Chelsea then he will thrive IMO

Brogey

I currently have Martial sat next to me in 20 stories in Manchester spinningfields. Anyone want me give him a word? :lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jojo <3 Mou

If he gets the same sort of freedom in a 3-4-3 that Hazard / Willian gets at Chelsea then he will thrive IMO
What freedom? These players are expected to contribute 100% of Chelsea attack. Also their play seems really regimented and quick. I don't see Martial fitting into that.

McGrathsipan

Martial had 24 goals and 15 assists in 3 seasons in all comps.
4 league goals last year. 4. No sign of Sanchez last year to block his development either.

This attitude of devastation if he leaves is strange.
If he was getting those 20 odd goals per season then its understandable.

He is talented but he isnt delivering the goods. I cant ever remember him putting in a tackle either.

Jig1234

Martial under someone like Sarri at Chelsea next season. No thanks. Woodward should block this ridiculous move for Willian.

Another player in his 30's that will need to be replaced in few years time. Mourinho is hell bend on raising the average age of the squad to create problems for us. Seriously what evidence has he shown he knows what he is doing. The football is awful. We're 2nd in the table yet only the goalkeeper is worthy of a place in the team of the season.

It's not even about Mourinho with young players. Most of his signings have not worked out. Still can't get the best out of Pogba, He signed Lindolof and Bailly but prefers Chris Smalling and he snubs the the other one because his team didn't qualify for the World Cup.

God only knows why he hates Luke Shaw. Won't even give him a 2-3 games to see what what he can do, I'm pretty sure it can't be any more uninspiring than Ashley Young.

Bar Lukaku I don't really see who Mourinho is getting a tune out of apart from his favourites like Young and Valencia who are unfit for purpose. ( Lukaku has been good, but he also plays every single game, players tend to benefit from a conservative run of games).

I look at Utd and see a team living in hope, in hope that a moment of individual skill or brilliance bails them out. Collectively as team, it's awful. The passing is slow, the movement is poor and you have players taking too many touches before passing the ball.

I hope we don't sell players like Rashford and Martial. They should be thriving in this team. I'm less convinced Mourinho will be able to stop City or even Liverpool who will be a force. Arsenal are a uncertainty, as are Chelsea.

He throws in Rashford, Martial cold and revels in their disappointing performances. it's like saying I'm happy they played crap, I rather be right. 'Why always Lukaku? That’s why…' - If you give a player consecutive games, hardly ever sub them, they're more likely going to do better than the players you bring in every other month, then bash publicly afterwards.

I think this will be his last season, if we are where we are now in Jan, 2019... I think he'll go. I hope that's not the case. I rather be proven wrong, I just don't want to be right and know we didn't take action sooner, before we potentially go and sell young talented footballers.

Last edited:

AP88

Supports
Man City
Seriously what evidence has he shown he knows what he is doing. The football is awful. We're 2nd in the table yet only the goalkeeper is worthy of a place in the team of the season.
The fact he’s finishing second without any outfield players worthy of a place in the team of the season suggest he actually does know what he’s doing......

Jig1234

The fact he’s finishing second without any outfield players worthy of a place in the team of the season suggest he actually does know what he’s doing......
You don't think it has anything to do with the goalkeeper? POTY. I don't think this team finishes 2nd without De Gea.

De Gea has made 113 saves. 5th most in the Premier League. Only Stoke, Swansea, Everton and Brighton's keepers have been busier. I don't think our defence is as water-tight as it's made out to be.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Martial had 24 goals and 15 assists in 3 seasons in all comps.
4 league goals last year. 4. No sign of Sanchez last year to block his development either.

This attitude of devastation if he leaves is strange.
If he was getting those 20 odd goals per season then its understandable.

He is talented but he isnt delivering the goods. I cant ever remember him putting in a tackle either.
He has 36 goals and 26 assists. Only Mata has scored more for us from our existing group of players (I know, shocking stat)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You don't think it has anything to do with the goalkeeper? POTY. I don't think this team finishes 2nd without De Gea
I don't think that:
liverpool would be in CL finals without salah.
Real would won 3 cl without ronaldo
Tottenham would be in top 4 without kane
Barca would be champion without messi

So that thing with de gea is rubbish

Jig1234

I don't think that:
liverpool would be in CL finals without salah.
Real would won 3 cl without ronaldo
Tottenham would be in top 4 without kane
Barca would be champion without messi

So that thing with de gea is rubbish
It's a relevant factor. Kane and Salah scoring goals is also down to the football the team play and style. De Gea making over 100 save is a mark of his quality but also a sign that he is getting over worked.

You can't watch Utd and think he has not bailed us out on several occasions or kept us in the game.

Even though we are 2nd I don't think we are the best to challenge City. I'm I'm being honest I think Liverpool with 2-3 more signings are in a better position than us. I think we still need to find our system, and find several players in Defence and midfield. Far more work to be done at Utd.

el3mel

It's a relevant factor. Kane and Salah scoring goals is also down to the football the team play and style. De Gea making over 100 save is a mark of his quality but also a sign that he is getting over worked.

You can't watch Utd and think he has not bailed us out on several occasions or kept us in the game.

Even though we are 2nd I don't think we are the best to challenge City. I'm I'm being honest I think Liverpool with 2-3 more signings are in a better position than us. I think we still need to find our system, and find several players in Defence and midfield. Far more work to be done at Utd.
Salah, Kane, Messi and Ronaldo have all scored individual goals out of nowhere to bail there teams out as well. Not every goal scored is due to how the team play. Salah scoring a R2 shot out of the box is down to him only, has feck all to do with how his team play. Yes, without Salah and Kane, Liverpool and Spurs would have been struggling to finish in top 4.

Roeindo

Do they who want Martial to be sold really trust JM judgment or because the love they have in JM?

I mean how could you trust a Manager that has endless love for Fellaini and the one who failed to identify the weakness in our Fullbacks position for 2 consecutive season yet he complaining that he need more money to compete with Man City?

Jig1234

Salah, Kane, Messi and Ronaldo have all scored individual goals out of nowhere to bail there teams out as well. Not every goal scored is due to how the team play. Salah scoring a R2 shot out of the box is down to him only, has feck all to do with how his team play. Yes, without Salah and Kane, Liverpool and Spurs would have been struggling to finish in top 4.
So are you happy with the current brand of football we're playing? - Or am I the only one that thinks our it looks a bit outdated.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So are you happy with the current brand of football we're playing? - Or am I the only one that thinks our it looks a bit outdated.
What does outdated means in that context? What makes our current brand of football outdated and what is our brand of football?

el3mel

Not outdated (otherwise we wouldn't have defeated all the other top times while the mighty Liverpool you're mentioning have only won 2 big games the whole season !) but definitely there's space for improvement. We need to improve, no one disagree with that, but you can see how Liverpool look like when Salah is out or in bad form and you'll know it's normal to have a top player bailing you out some times.

I swear if we have a Salah like player scoring for fun each game the comments would have been the same : "we're fecking shite but (insert name) is bailing us out by individual goals!". It's normal.

Jig1234

Not outdated (otherwise we wouldn't have defeated all the other top times while the mighty Liverpool you're mentioning have only won 2 big games the whole season !) but definitely there's space for improvement. We need to improve, no one disagree with that, but you can see how Liverpool look like when Salah is out or in bad form and you'll know it's normal to have a top player bailing you out some times.

I swear if we have a Salah like player scoring for fun each game the comments would have been the same : "we're fecking shite but (insert name) is bailing us out by individual goals!". It's normal.

You are looking at it differently. Salah does not bail Liverpool out. The team play more collectively and he profits. Utd don't play like a team. We struggle to pass and move effectively. We fade in and out during matches more often. I don't look at Liverpool and think Salah bails them out. I think Klopp has a team with players who all know what they're doing, they've playing for each other.

I don't see that at Utd. I see a lot of individualism on the pitch. Look at the way Brighton played against us. It was fantastic, fluid and exciting. I watched it thinking that's a team that know what they're doing. Utd are still unsure about themselves. Especially when it comes to utilising Pogba. The results have been good but I think the performance level of the team is a concern going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.