5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siorac

“Marked out of the game” seems to be the excuse of choice for popular players who perform badly (see also Pogba thread). Being marked is something all top attacking players need to deal with.
I thought 'marked out of the game' is a criticism. The elite attackers are rarely marked out.

Rossa

Is it me, or is he only good when playing with little to no pressure? He also struggles against fast(er) fullbacks, or those that stand close to him and refuses him space. I find both strange as he isn't even that speedy, nor does he seem that dependant on speed. As for space, he is great inside the box when dribbling, but if they stand close to him further from goal, he almost always loses the ball or has pass the ball back to Shaw, and then doesn't move.

Amazing on his day, but he can also be quite poor when off.

snk123

The whole left side was bad, Shaw and Martial just were not involved. Martial touched the ball less than De Gea in the first half. It takes the two of them to make things happen through Martial IMO. He's capable of the odd solo effort, but Shaw needs to do more on the left side and he was a passenger tonight along with Martial.
Shaw never played the ball in the channel for Martial. There were numerous instances where Martial took off but Shaw went to the middle only for Rash or Jlingz to lose the ball. It was a frustrating performance all around from the front 3 and the full backs.

UnitedChampionsAgain

It was said while he was still at Monaco that he had all the talent but no real desire. Nothings changed in his approach at United. One good game then 3 or 4 bad ones. Pity he's just signed a new contract as it looks like no one can get through to him on what is expected. He's not going to change now. For 250k per week he should be busting his balls every game.

Ainu

He was very poor but he's still an important player for us. I'll admit that at 23 I'd hoped he'd be further along his development. He seems to have stalled a bit. Right now he's an important player but we have to hope he steps it up in the future. If we're still calling him a talent when he's 24 or 25 it's probably never going to come out consistently.

Raven

Crikey, the naysayers crawling out of the woodwork again. He's so important to us, it was telling that when him and Lingard went off, we fell apart.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No denying he was poor first half, but that doesn't change the fact that if he would have been very likely to have produced at least one moment of real quality in the second half because that is just what he does. The game was more cagey in the first half so i think had Lingard and Martial stayed on we could have started to get going abit more.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
No denying he was poor first half, but that doesn't change the fact that if he would have been very likely to have produced at least one moment of real quality in the second half because that is just what he does. The game was more cagey in the first half so i think had Lingard and Martial stayed on we could have started to get going abit more.
I agree. Their output wasn't great, but both are so integral to the high press. Buffon was forced into so many sliced clearances and even Veratti and Silva were punting it out. Once we lost the high press, they had all the space to dictate the game.

I'm not sure we win, but with our first choice front 3 on the pitch, I don't think it ends 0-2.

Skills

Snitch
He was very poor but he's still an important player for us. I'll admit that at 23 I'd hoped he'd be further along his development. He seems to have stalled a bit. Right now he's an important player but we have to hope he steps it up in the future. If we're still calling him a talent when he's 24 or 25 it's probably never going to come out consistently.
Wasted 2.5 key years under Mourinho. Still salvageable though, if he works under the right coach.

Thisistheone

Hope he's fit for Liverpool. Didn't have a great night but he's so important for us when Sanchez is the way he is.

Sylar

He wasnt in the game, but what he did do was cause them a worry by being there. There were times he was double teamed and helped push them back. Him and Lingard going off changed us.

Its a shame cos it was 0-0 and nobody really stood out across both teams at that time.

I do agree hes not a winger and needs to be closer to the box than anything.

yfoFC

He wasnt in the game, but what he did do was cause them a worry by being there. There were times he was double teamed and helped push them back. Him and Lingard going off changed us.

Its a shame cos it was 0-0 and nobody really stood out across both teams at that time.

I do agree hes not a winger and needs to be closer to the box than anything.
Thank the heavens I'm not the only one who saw this.

In the first half no attacker did well, including Mbappe but look how he ended the night.

I'm not saying Martial would have played as good as him but judging him based off the first half where no attacker from both teams played well is quite funny.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It was said while he was still at Monaco that he had all the talent but no real desire. Nothings changed in his approach at United. One good game then 3 or 4 bad ones. Pity he's just signed a new contract as it looks like no one can get through to him on what is expected. He's not going to change now. For 250k per week he should be busting his balls every game.
That's nonsense though, he's been called a poor trainer in the past and that he relied mostly on his talent. This is obviously something he's changed or you'd have heard about it in a club like United. Also, for him to have not one but two separate comebacks under Mourinho when he should have always been on the side shows that he has heart and desire to succeed. His inconsistency is a team-wide issue, but in yesterday's case it was more of a team that was simply not good enough for their opposition, especially in the way Tuchel had Marquinhos shackle Pogba. Without Pogba, Martial and the rest are not going to be able to do much. Pogba is the key to everything that goes well with this team offensively.

Cheekiey

Woah these comments are crazy! I was at the game and when the players came out to warm up Tony was stretching his groin out for ages before joining in on a jog across the pitch, to me it looked like he wasn't 100% to begin with hence why he never got going in the first half. It makes sense as to why it was a lacklustre and cautious performances from him.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What a pointless post. And I'm even worse for replying to such a pointless post.
Ha. I'm taking the piss out of them because they love to post it when everyone is enjoying a good performance. Do you also reply to the 5 posts we get from them every time?

The_Midfielder

PSG knew we attack from the left, so had 2 defenders on the left.. Dani alves and the right back..
Pogba should have come to the right, but then we would be shit defensively..
Outclassed.. dont blame the lad..

Footyislife

Clearly PSG's gameplan was to shut down the Pogba/Martial combo. Only way to beat that is if your other players step up & create space forcing the PSG defense to adjust. Rashford is inconsisent, & our right wing (RW/RB) are close to useless right now. Lingard/Mata/Sanchez/Young/Dalot aren't close to starting level against the top sides. Until we fix this, we are pretty easy to counter unless we come up with individual moments of brilliance which is basically what Mourinho was trying to rely on & you saw how that went.

3 games against decent teams. We scrape away with a goal despite getting dominated at Tottenham. Crushed by PSG with good tactics (look at the number of quality chances created). Beat a struggling Arsenal team in the FA cup. Ole needs to come up with a radical solution for the right wing if he wants to challenge against top sides.

Raven

Ha. I'm taking the piss out of them because they love to post it when everyone is enjoying a good performance. Do you also reply to the 5 posts we get from them every time?
I'm part of "Martial FC", but as an avid fan of Manchester United FC, I went hungry on both counts :lol:

dablem_10

i like him personally. But lets say it, He is fantastic with the ball, rubbish without. Problem of football is, averagelly players have ball 2 mins per game, 88 dont.

shahzy

I think people need to realise that attacking players will be 'marked out the game' if your midfield has no control. If your midfield gains control of possesion thats when you can get your attackers on to the ball and making runs, dribbling and generally creating something. The way we set up yesterday, we were starved of the ball and therefore the when that happens the attackers are not in attacking positions so you wont notice them. Its just a common sense thing lads. If midfield doesnt control possession, your attackers can't do much and the normal fans will say they were poor. But were they really poor if they barely had a chance to consistently attack?

Raven

Good to know :lol:
Martial FC doesn't just mean you like Martial though! I like him.
I feel like people who generally use the term as a negative have an issue with analysing his performance in the context of the match itself. There are so many variables to take into consideration when looking at an individual's performance.

Eddy_JukeZ

He is not dynamic enough, and plays with next to no intensity. Two recipes for anonymity in the big games.
I agree with this.

He plays too suave and cool, but he isn't great enough to play like that .

He needs to play with more intensity.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not arsed about Monday but we need Martial back for the Liverpool game

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He's not one of our best players. He is too inconsistent to be called that yet. Completely anonymous v Psg. Of course Sanchez was made the scapegoat.
Martial's not one of our best players...? :lol: :houllier:

Compare any of our attackers stats and I expect Martial to be near the top for goals scored/assists/key passes/whatever you like per 90 but apparently he's too inconsistent...

You're talking rubbish.

Last edited:

shahzy

No we're not. Got on well without him many times. ( including a few days ago)
Ok then. I mean we only have Sanchez, mata or lukaku to replace him in the position he plays. But apparently Martial isn't our best option there ey Franky

Status
Not open for further replies.