5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

He doesn’t need to majorly change his game and he won’t. He needs to get his condition right and go into the season sharp. He will remain a player who looks to get the ball into his feet and that is fine.
He needs to vary his game a bit and make more runs in behind. With his finishing ability he needs to get in the box more

SteveW

That was weird. James has not even kicked a ball, let alone improve. I wish I had such over the top optimism.
Was my choice of words the problem? How about "He's clearly improved a lot in the last year" Is that ok?

There's nothing wrong with a bit of optimism either. We don't all have to dwell in misery. I've a pretty decent record when it comes to picking young players over the years and I think both James and Greenwood will do very well. You are of course welcome to disagree

Bwuk

If Pogba was to go, we should go 442 and play Martial upfront.

SteveW

He doesn't need to be a number 9. He just needs to try and get into the box more. If he had Mata's choice of runs he'd score 35 a year from the wing.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Well, he couldn't get a game for Shrewsbury the season before last. By the end of his first season playing senior football he's a starter for Wales and has signed for United. He's clearly on a very quick progression. I've watched him a couple of times for Wales and some game highlights from late last season and his game looks pretty tidy, he passes the ball crisply, crosses well with both feet, makes good decisions and has pace that would terrify any defender. He certainly doesn't look like someone who couldn't get into the Shrewsbury team not long ago. Giggs also mentioned it in a couple of interviews.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/06/...ut-daniel-james-improvement-since-leeds-move/
I hope he continues on that path then.

sherrinford

He needs to vary his game a bit and make more runs in behind. With his finishing ability he needs to get in the box more
He won’t - off the ball anyway. He will be static or move towards it the vast majority of the time, just as he has done over the course of his entire time here - both in good periods and bad. He can be a very good player without having to become something he is not.

What we need to see is more of him being positive, direct and explosive once he gets the ball - driving at opponents with his close control or looking for quick one-two’s with his teammates. Too often he is full of lethargy in possession, limply passing square or backwards and standing rooted to the spot, failing to take opportunities to run at defenders and commit them. When he has that sharpness in his legs and plays with purpose he is always a threat.

haram

He won’t - off the ball anyway. He will be static or move towards it the vast majority of the time, just as he has done over the course of his entire time here - both in good periods and bad. He can be a very good player without having to become something he is not.

What we need to see is more of him being positive, direct and explosive once he gets the ball - driving at opponents with his close control or looking for quick one-two’s with his teammates. Too often he is full of lethargy in possession, limply passing square or backwards and standing rooted to the spot, failing to take opportunities to run at defenders and commit them. When he has that sharpness in his legs and plays with purpose he is always a threat.
Will never be a top player if he does not improve off the ball.

sherrinford

Will never be a top player if he does not improve off the ball.
Define top player? He can be perfectly good enough for a team looking to win the Premier League - he has shown as much during his time here.

There are countless players who come towards the ball or are static and excel in top level football. Some are intelligent and look for pockets of space but others merely survive on their ability with the ball at their feet. Messi ‘needs’ to improve off the ball yet he is the clear best player I have watched. Zidane was an absolute delight, but he barely moved. Have you ever seen ‘Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait’? It’s quite alarming seeing just how little he actually moved around in that particular game.

haram

Define top player? He can be perfectly good enough for a team looking to win the Premier League - he has shown as much during his time here.
No he hasn't.

There are countless players who come towards the ball or are static and excel in top level football. Some are intelligent and look for pockets of space but others merely survive on their ability with the ball at their feet. Messi ‘needs’ to improve off the ball yet he is the clear best player I have watched. Zidane was an absolute delight, but he barely moved. Have you ever seen ‘Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait’? It’s quite alarming seeing just how little he actually moved around in that particular game.
Dont compare him to Messi and Zidane.

Canagel

No he hasn't.

You might say don't compare to Messi but that's exactly what he got compared against in dribbling style when he got here. Off the ball running is all well and good but it's hardly necessity to be top player like you said. There's different styles in football. He should rather be coached get into more dangerous positions using his quick feets and 1/2's etc and get more shots away. Zlatan has no running in behind or limited running but still twice the player Lukaku or Rashford will ever be who runs all the time. Ribery and Robben was never known for off the ball running but what they did on the ball. How you utlize your skill that's more important.

Last edited:

SER19

I still hold hope for martial but given his first season I expected so much more by now. Previous players have, by his age, been phenomenally better. Rooney or Ronaldo at 23 for example, he doesn't come remotely close.

Said this last season, but this season his huge for him

haram

You might say don't compare to Messi but that's exactly what he got compared against in dribbling style when he got here. Off the ball running is all well and good but it's hardly necessity to be top player like you said. There's different styles in football. He should rather be coached get into more dangerous positions using his quick feets and 1/2's etc and get more shots away. Zlatan has no running in behind or limited running but still twice the player Lukaku or Rashford will ever be who runs all the time. Ribery and Robben was never known for off the ball running but what they did on the ball. How you utlize your skill that's more important.
Does not have the same amount of talent as those players either.

buckooo1978

he's got the obvious ability

this is the season we need him to step up, work harder etc... he should be giving defenders nightmares but hes been so easy to handle in the last year

he's not a kid anymore

Canagel

Does not have the same amount of talent as those players either.
Even as a lesser talent he can be effective without completely changing his style. There's lots and lots of players that reached the top excelling in one or two things maximum.

haram

Even as a lesser talent he can be effective without completely changing his style. There's lots and lots of players that reached the top excelling in one or two things maximum.
Well in my opinion he wont be a top player the way he is right now.

Canagel

Well in my opinion he wont be a top player the way he is right now.
Maybe or maybe not but it will have little to do with running off the ball but not applying what he already has even better.

haram

Maybe or maybe not but it will have little to do with running off the ball but not applying what he already has even better.
Off the ball movement, intelligent runs, work rate, application. If you think he becomes a top player without these things then ok. Lad has not even improved since his debut season and people still expect him to become a top player by just using what he has right now.

Jeffthered

he's got the obvious ability

this is the season we need him to step up, work harder etc... he should be giving defenders nightmares but hes been so easy to handle in the last year

he's not a kid anymore
He has limited ability, with little or no application. And that is what is clear.

Martial is a player who offers v little. He (no one else...) has shown this.

Take decent money and let him go. His attitude reflects his character and I fail to see why some still think there is 'hope'. At another team, yes... But cutting inside and slotting in a nice goal five times a season does not make a top player.

Any half decent attacker will score 10-12 goals a season at United. But top attacking players will do far, far more than that, and give far, far, far more to the team.

I do not trust Martial to do this at all.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Off the ball movement, intelligent runs, work rate, application. If you think he becomes a top player without these things then ok. Lad has not even improved since his debut season and people still expect him to become a top player by just using what he has right now.
I'd agree with this. I don't see any bright future for Martial whatsoever.

Some people still think this lad is a future Ballon d’Or winner!

He hasn’t shown an ounce of improvement since he arrived, and that’s in four years.

He’s clearly a useful player, and a good option to have in the squad, but he’s nothing special. He doesn’t have the application to be a really top player.

DoomSlayer

I'd agree with this. I don't see any bright future for Martial whatsoever.
It's really sad to see this situation with a player of such talent. When Martial came in for his debut against Liverpool and scored that incredible goal, I was sure we have a remarkable player on our hands that would be our best player in a couple of years.

There has been almost zero improvement on his game unfortunately, although I would be glad to be proven wrong. Maybe the systems he's had to play haven't helped with his confidence, but at Manchester United a player must have the ambition to prove himself despite all obstacles.

The arrival of Sanchez definitely disrupted the squad chemistry and harmony, but Martial has too much talent to just give up. If he had the right application, there is no doubt in my mind that the Frenchmen would be an undisputed part of our first 11.

We really need him to step up in the upcoming season. The fans have backed him to the hill from the start so we deserve to see much more from him in terms of performances.

flappyjay

If he could improve his movement from trash to decent he would easily be a 20 goals a year player. I can only hope the coaching staff are pushing him to improving this side of his game

sherrinford

No he hasn't.

He has. His first season was exceptional. Though he’s not matched it, he has had extended runs of good form under Mourinho as well.

Why can’t I speak about Messi or Zidane’s movement in the same vein? He will never be as good as either, but he doesn’t need to be. Martial has enough in the locker - he can carry on here and be a success without magically becoming a player who looks to intrinsically move in a completely different way to how he does currently. He needs to improve - but by showing consistency in those aspects of the game that he actually excels in.

DarkChild™

Feels like he should leave just to shut up some people. Martial is the least of our problems yet people would rather see the back of him than the many clowns in our team.

He'sRaldo

I wonder when it becomes the club's fault that absolutely none of the players who come here improve.

Stacks

But unlike them he rarely takes on his man or utilises anywhere near their level of dribbling skills so he seems to be doing next to nothing. Hazard is constantly running at teams, knitting, weaving and creating. Martial stands out wide too much which can be a fairly non threatening. Messi movement is fine because he occupies useful spaces. If you are drifting to central areas you are a problem.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Based on what do you assess this rapid improvement ?
Simple.

You keep watching his Youtube videos repeatedly and you will notice that he improves the next time you watch that same video. It's amazing. It works with a lot of signees.

It called the RAWK Syndrome.

They improve even when they are injured. Only Top player at the initial phase of their injury and by the time they are close to playing, they have been elevated to World Class status.

At kickoff, after 3 years of recovery, they would be at the Messi-eques level.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
This season really is make or break for him. He's at the age and experience now where we should be seeing real consistency if he's going to be a top player. I felt last season was that stage for Martial in all honesty, but he's getting this season so let's see how he does.

I think the players/club have used up every shred of patience that our fans have after making scapegoats out of managers. This season, the payers will get some serious stick if they don't perform, as will the club if things go pear shaped after the inevitable poor transfer window this summer.

haram

Even if he doesn't perform next year, do people really think the club will move him on? It will kill Woodward's ego to sell him.

Lee565

What a contrast to the crap Lingard did on holiday.
And yet Martial will more than likely get the accusation of being lazy and not looking like he cares thrown at him once again many times next season.

Would be intrigued see him and Rashford given a go as a proper strike partnership for a good spell of games.

OL29

Even if he doesn't perform next year, do people really think the club will move him on? It will kill Woodward's ego to sell him.
Probably depends on the performances of others around him, right now there’s other deadweight in attack that should be shifted first.

Silas

Some people still think this lad is a future Ballon d’Or winner!

He hasn’t shown an ounce of improvement since he arrived, and that’s in four years.

He’s clearly a useful player, and a good option to have in the squad, but he’s nothing special. He doesn’t have the application to be a really top player.
Find me one person that thinks this.

Andersons Dietician

Probably depends on the performances of others around him, right now there’s other deadweight in attack that should be shifted first.
Rashford or Lingard?

I think most are in agreement that Martial has something. It’s just the application and lack of intensity to his game that is a major bug bear. He can beat a man, he can pass, he can shoot and occasionally he can just do mind boggling things. Good and bad.

OL29

Rashford or Lingard?

I think most are in agreement that Martial has something. It’s just the application and lack of intensity to his game that is a major bug bear. He can beat a man, he can pass, he can shoot and occasionally he can just do mind boggling things. Good and bad.
Wouldn’t say Rashford, but Lingard most certainly. Mata and Sanchez both have less use too.
Agree about Martial’s application, I just take solace in the fact he’s demonstrated that he can be good enough for a whole season (or at least close to). Not too sure any of our other attackers can say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.