5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

Fair point, somehow it escaped me. The question is what happens if Martial plays well. Can't imagine Lukaku being benched for good.
This is why he's tried to move imo. I honestly doubt if his form matters. Jose will end up playing Alexis and Lukaku regardless.

IrishRedDevil

We could play 442 (diamond) or even 352 with proper wingbacks to rotate M
artial, Lukaku and Rashford in a 2 strikers system. Also, Lingard/Mata could cover Alexis as No.10.

Martial - Lukaku
Sanchez
Pogba - Matic - Fred
Young - Smalling - Bailly - Valencia
De Gea
Martial could become our own Mbappe in that position, if he fulfill his potential.
This is the ideal scenario. Let’s hope Martial can grab this chance with both hands.

I think this system would work so well as Lukaku can drift right as he does for Belgium, Martial can drift left where he is comfortable and Sanchez can float around as I think freedom suits his style, but with a focus to stay central where he was dangerous for Arsenal.

Rashford can play backup to Martial and Lukaku, so he will get plenty of minutes also.

Fer

This is the ideal scenario. Let’s hope Martial can grab this chance with both hands.

I think this system would work so well as Lukaku can drift right as he does for Belgium, Martial can drift left where he is comfortable and Sanchez can float around as I think freedom suits his style, but with a focus to stay central where he was dangerous for Arsenal.

Rashford can play backup to Martial and Lukaku, so he will get plenty of minutes also.
We could even sign a wingback like Sessegnon and a CB like Maguire to play 352. If we buy proper wingbacks, it could work. Unfortunately, we don't have a player like Trippier or Meunier. So, we need Valencia to improve his crosses, I hope Dalot can get some minutes too.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Martial has to have faith that he can stay in the team if he plays well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Fair point, somehow it escaped me. The question is what happens if Martial plays well. Can't imagine Lukaku being benched for good.
Yep this is the issue isnt it. Its there with rashford too. Doesn't matter if they score a hat trick, when Sanchez and Lukaku are fully fit, they have the left wing and striker position locked up regardless of how they play. Which means Martial/Rashford need to play other positions or the less likely scenario of Mourinho changing systems to fit them into their best positions. Can't see it. Think thats why Martial wanted to leave.

luke511

Martial Sanchez Lukaku as a front three all interchanging positions would be great.

maniwin

I think he should adapt to play more centrally , He isn't going to displace Mbappe for France, but Giroud is aging so there will be a place to compete there.

Bwuk

Reckon it’ll be Sanchez at #9 with Martial left and Mata right.

Red_toad

This is why he's tried to move imo. I honestly doubt if his form matters. Jose will end up playing Alexis and Lukaku regardless.
He's a special player as Jose has testified. If he plays well enough he'll play every game. Look at Smalling, Jose has had to pick him as he's been our best defender, yet he purchased 2 players with the aim of phasing him out. Anyone who thinks any manager will ignore the form of a player to the detriment of their team has a serious agenda...

caid

He's a special player as Jose has testified. If he plays well enough he'll play every game. Look at Smalling, Jose has had to pick him as he's been our best defender, yet he purchased 2 players with the aim of phasing him out. Anyone who thinks any manager will ignore the form of a player to the detriment of their team has a serious agenda...
Thought the same, his form in the 2nd half of last season didn't warrant getting starts. Delighted to have kept him though, his form for the first half a season was pretty great and another year under his belt will do him good.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It'd be very interesting to see him up front with Lukaku. Those two have a pretty good understanding for the inconsistent time they have spent on the field together. If developed, they could form a deadly partnership. If not, I don't want to see Martial on the right, Sanchez should be the one there. He has more experience and even though they both are subpar compared to the other side, I think Sanchez has shown more in his career than Martial ever has, whereas Tony has shown on the left wing he can produce the goods.

hungrywing

artial, Lukaku and Rashford in a 2 strikers system. Also, Lingard/Mata could cover Alexis as No.10.

Martial - Lukaku
Sanchez
Pogba - Matic - Fred
De Gea
Martial could become our own Mbappe in that position, if he fulfill his potential.
"It's not the formation it's the players" and all that, but I really wish we'd try something like the above.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.

Martial - Lukaku
Sanchez
Pogba - Matic - Fred
De Gea

That formation is the ideal scenario for us going into this season as it makes the best use of our squad and means you can rotate Martial and Rashford more easily into the starting lineup, although I would call that a 4-3-1-2. We absolutely need a 2 striker formation to get the best out of the personnel we have with better wingbacks/fullbacks providing the width as well as each striker alternatively running the channels.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
"It's not the formation it's the players" and all that, but I really wish we'd try something like the above.

That formation is the ideal scenario for us going into this season as it makes the best use of our squad and means you can rotate Martial and Rashford more easily into the starting lineup, although I would call that a 4-3-1-2. We absolutely need a 2 striker formation to get the best out of the personnel we have with better wingbacks/fullbacks providing the width as well as each striker alternatively running the channels.
Looks like it might be a possibility

Mr PG

It's not that easy, I can't remember which player explained it, maybe it was Pires. Martial on the left come inside, he moves towards the weaker side of most defenders, they have to either defend with their weaker foot or make awkward movements in order to reach with their stronger foot. On the right it's the opposite, if he goes outside he is on the stronger foot and natural side of defenders, when he comes inside he is on his own weaker foot and goes toward his weaker side, it's not the same approach, not the same game. Ronaldo isn't as good on the right than he is on the left, same thing with Messi, they have to tweak their game significantly in order to make it work. You have players like Perisic, Reus, Coman or even Mbappé that manage to do it but they have good left feet and it comes naturally to them, the vast majority of players struggle a lot when you change their side.
It’s mental. Some are wide players some aren’t and a few can do both

automaticflare

He hasn't done too bad - the service has been very poor from midfield.
Not great service but has made some terrible decision when he has got the box. That’s the most frustrating part. Everyone knows service has been poor to all our forwards at times but they do not cover themselves in glory with their decision making when they do get it. Martial is as guilty if not more so than any of the others

automaticflare

Look at the difference between Chong and martial for example tonight.
It is no wonder that people question his desire. He has so much talent just wake up man !!!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He looked pretty much the same as everyone else. Meh. Tried to get involve and had a few looks at goal but sloppy too, like the others. It's not like he didn't work hard, he ran and closed down a decent amount.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I'm still afraid that his lack of movement off the ball (not talking about defensive duties) will be his undoing here.

Scholes the maestro

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He looked lively in the first half but was really isolated which is why our attacking moves kept breaking down. More off the ball movement and better attackers around him will help him massively. He does overcomplicate things sometimes.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Was absolutely gassed in the end there. You’d think he spent the summer off working his ass off in the gym on his cardio but instead he flat lined on 60minute and looks to have gained a few pounds. Worrying. Still love him though

Silas

Was absolutely gassed in the end there. You’d think he spent the summer off working his ass off in the gym on his cardio but instead he flat lined on 60minute and looks to have gained a few pounds. Worrying. Still love him though
Pretty sure he stopped moving because of an injury. Think he hurt himself when he went for Mata's lob into the box.

Ashley R1+O

I'm still afraid that his lack of movement off the ball (not talking about defensive duties) will be his undoing here.
Agreed. This goes beyond loving and hating him and the general discourse of him as a player. His movement really is scarily poor, I think this is the most worrying aspect of where his game sits at the moment.

Even though he milked it, I thought that was a penalty though.
Is it just me or does it look like he gained some pounds?
He looks like he's more henched this season.

maniwin

Is there any player who were more overrated than him in the history of United ? I failed to think any

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Only saw the first half. Poor first touch and as a result a lot of attacks broke down when they got to him. Still, it was the first game of pre-season. Would be concerned if performance levels were the same towards the end of the tour. First game or two is more about building fitness.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
First game of pre season, looked to be carrying a little bit of extra weight. Not sharp enough (like most of our players last night). Glad to see him playing as a striker within a front 2 as this is the best way long term to get the best out of him.

RedStarUnited

Ive always thought he needs a coach that would take his time with him or even a close friend/family. Just to teach him some off the ball running.

Pep did wonders for Sterling by simply coaching him.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Pretty sure he stopped moving because of an injury. Think he hurt himself when he went for Mata's lob into the box.
Yup, think he ultimately went off due to a knock after he was clashed between those two defenders in the box, don't think it's anything serious though, more like precautionary.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ive always thought he needs a coach that would take his time with him or even a close friend/family. Just to teach him some off the ball running.

Pep did wonders for Sterling by simply coaching him.
Hopefully McKenna can do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.