5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ErranMorad

Didn't think it was a very good performance. He was anonymous in the first half when the game was tight and did decently when the game opened up in the second half because of the two late goals in the first 45. Always feels like he can do more with the talent he possesses. Hopefully, he kicks on now that he has scored a goal after a long time. Should get enough starts to improve now that we have a game every 3 days.

meamth

I think he was tremendous last night. Hold up the ball way better than Sanchez on the left. He actually looked surprised that he got pace to burn the young boys.

After he scored his confidence lifted his performance and I hope that he will start next game.

SpyLuke10

People have higher expectations for Martial than they do for Sanchez. Sanchez performs bang average and some people are trying to find the positives in everything he does (fair enough). But then those same people when Martial is poor in one half but electric in the other focus on the half he was poor in. Martial needs minutes, he was clearly lacking match rhythm and sharpness in the first half and grew throughout the game. We need to build his confidence up by giving him minutes. Martial can only get better than he was today with more minutes and match sharpness and hopefully confidence.

Did he play well enough to drop Sanchez? Maybe. I think Sanchez will still play. But if Sanchez doesn't play well on the weekend and Martial again outshines him in the 20 minutes he might get off the bench (he didn't do much against watford but) then I think its time Martial gets some starts because his ceiling is clearly higher. He is young and still has a huge ceiling, the main thing he needs to work on is his short passing.

Show some grit and determination Martial and give Jose no reason to not play you.

JohnnyKills

Let's be honest, Young Boys weren't great, so our players should look good against them. Martial was great against Northampton in the league cup last year too, and he's played like that several times in FA Cup games over the last couple of years.

But it was definitely encouraging, particularly because he showed he was willing to track back and do all the stuff we slate him for not doing. It would seem very unfair if he doesn't start on Saturday.

Arka_BleedingRed

Martial FC this, Martial FC that. For all the complaints about Martial FC, I think there is an Anti-Martial FC going on. I think most of so called Martial FC posters will agree to the fact that Anthony at 22, has some flaws in his game that need to be ironed out for him to reach a World class consistency level. He may or may not have the mentality for it, which only time will tell. But in order to do that, he needs to get encouragement and regular chances to play. He has shown glimpses of frightening potential throughout his period here at Old Trafford, and deserves the chance to get his game right instead of getting dropped whenever anything goes wrong.

But in this forum, there are some posters who literally act like they have some personal feud going on with the kid, going out of their way to put him down even after a decent performance like yesterday's. :wenger:

Sanchez has been poor, as has been Rashford. So, Martial should be given a consistent run on the left who would do wonders for his confidence, just like his first half last season and Shaw, who has clearly benefited from having a consistent run.

Chicharito_

One thing that Martial has that really is incredible is a first touch, the ball gets fired into him at pace and he just stops it dead every time. So many times last night it would be passed into him at pace and he would have a defender on his back and he would control it effortlessly, I know this is something most football players at that level should have but it was very refreshing to see how natural it is for him.

Kapardin

Let's be honest, Young Boys weren't great, so our players should look good against them. Martial was great against Northampton in the league cup last year too, and he's played like that several times in FA Cup games over the last couple of years.

But it was definitely encouraging, particularly because he showed he was willing to track back and do all the stuff we slate him for not doing. It would seem very unfair if he doesn't start on Saturday.
Thing is, I am not even sure Sanchez would have scored yesterday. He hasn't inspired confidence at all.

Martial has a lot of faults, but I'd rather see him start in the league as he does net some goals here and there. Can iron out his deficiencies, Mourinho hasn't been entirely fair to him.

Eugenius

People have higher expectations for Martial than they do for Sanchez. Sanchez performs bang average and some people are trying to find the positives in everything he does (fair enough). But then those same people when Martial is poor in one half but electric in the other focus on the half he was poor in. Martial needs minutes, he was clearly lacking match rhythm and sharpness in the first half and grew throughout the game. We need to build his confidence up by giving him minutes. Martial can only get better than he was today with more minutes and match sharpness and hopefully confidence.

Did he play well enough to drop Sanchez? Maybe. I think Sanchez will still play. But if Sanchez doesn't play well on the weekend and Martial again outshines him in the 20 minutes he might get off the bench (he didn't do much against watford but) then I think its time Martial gets some starts because his ceiling is clearly higher. He is young and still has a huge ceiling, the main thing he needs to work on is his short passing.

Show some grit and determination Martial and give Jose no reason to not play you.
Some people are more willing to be patient with the 29 year old signed on big wages to improve our team straight away, than with a 22 year old.

There's almost a 1984 cult of big brother on here. If a player is out of the team, it's the right decision and let's reinvent the past to justify it.

It's the same stuff with Shaw. You will see in his performances thread he was being called fat, lazy, only ever had a few good games under LvG and doesn't have the right attitude literally up until the start of the season.
Five games into the season and all of that is completely silent.

Even as a Martial fan, I've been frustrated with his performancesssince January and thought he was in the wrong over his pre season antics. He certainly can improve aspects of his game too.

But young players sometimes need an arm around them, a consistent run of games, a bit of confidence. I feel like Jose's man management of our young players has been lacking in that respect.

OL29

Martial FC this, Martial FC that. For all the complaints about Martial FC, I think there is an Anti-Martial FC going on. I think most of so called Martial FC posters will agree to the fact that Anthony at 22, has some flaws in his game that need to be ironed out for him to reach a World class consistency level. He may or may not have the mentality for it, which only time will tell. But in order to do that, he needs to get encouragement and regular chances to play. He has shown glimpses of frightening potential throughout his period here at Old Trafford, and deserves the chance to get his game right instead of getting dropped whenever anything goes wrong.

But in this forum, there are some posters who literally act like they have some personal feud going on with the kid, going out of their way to put him down even after a decent performance like yesterday's. :wenger:
They're even more obsessed than so called 'Martial FC' members. It's weird.

youngrell

The one thing Martial has over a lot of our other forwards is end product. Even when he plays poorly, he still has the ability to carve out a goal or assist whereas some players, like Lingard, can work their socks off doing a lot of work for the team but not produce anything in terms of numbers on the board. Sure, Lingard had a terrific goalscoring season last year, but that was more of an exception than the norm.

We should be working on getting Martial's form up, if that means playing him through some poor performances then so be it, but get him firing on all cylinders and he will repay you with goals and assists, things that actually win games.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I love watching him when he's in the mood, it's like a switch got flicked around 50 minutes and he suddenly burst into life. He was buzzing all over the pitch playing quick 1-2's and running at players like he did in his first season.

Yes not everything came off for him, but that's what happens with flair players. If only he applied himself every game with the effort he showed in the 2nd half, he'd be so much more effective. Right now he should be playing over Sanchez on the LW, his pace is so important and gives Shaw a lot more room.

Ashley R1+O

I still don't feel like he's giving his all though... Don't know what it is.
Off the ball when we are in possession he is not bad/good awful/great he's just weird. He doesn't move properly when we have the ball, make runs or get into dangerous positions unless we are absolutely committing to an attack (like the goal). He kind of just stands around in weird areas waiting to get the ball, it is really hard to articulate. I thought personally he was poor all game, worse in the first half.

Still chuffed to bits he got a goal though, it looked like he needed that and it was important for his confidence. Hopefully it will give him the kick up the backside he needs.

WensleyMU

When you have been out of form for the better part of 9 months, and end up in and out of the side, speculation over your future and everything else, it's difficult to get back into form. So with that in mind, you can forgive his shakey first half as he stepped it up in the second. It wasn't top class, but it showed a player who was turning a corner. There was intent in what he did during the second half, and while it didn't go to plan most of the time, you want to see that from such players. The best players around get it wrong more often than they got it right, but they keep going.

Great to see. He looked chuffed when he scored and while patting the badge counts for nothing, it shows his time here is perhaps far from over.

Also, anyone notice that in the first half he hugged the wing, while in the second he had a much more varied role, his best moves coming centrally. I would really like to see him just behind Lukaku, free to drift left if needed but confident that Shaw has that left wing locked down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Penna

Aloysius's Back 3

Martial is a bit lazy defensive but ultimately he waits because he wants the ball to feet to take his man on.

He is also better defensively putting high pressure than tracking back.

He has the best first touch & best finishing technique in the squad & that's why he should play as a false 9 who drops back to receive the ball to feet with the ability to bring Lukaku or Rashford in to play.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He was decent and much better than Rashford. He was too passive in the first half, but it also seemed we played a little more through the right side. Teams are still shading him with a second defender, which speaks volumes about his quality.

One thing I've noticed, even since last season, is that he often tries these little 1-2s, but his teammate doesn't pick up on it quickly enough and it fails.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Worked hard both offensively and defensively last night which is what we're looking for from him.
I'm really pleased he got a goal, I bet it did wonders for him personally.
He needs to keep this up now though even if he does sometimes have to do it from the bench.
The only complaint I'd have last night is he's not always eager to take on his man when it was 0-0 and he didn't have as much space, which he should because it seems as though the talent is there.

Aloysius's Back 3

He was decent and much better than Rashford. He was too passive in the first half, but it also seemed we played a little more through the right side. Teams are still shading him with a second defender, which speaks volumes about his quality.

One thing I've noticed, even since last season, is that he often tries these little 1-2s, but his teammate doesn't pick up on it quickly enough and it fails.
That's why he should be the central striker who plays balls in to Rashford & Lukaku on either side of him just off the centre.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Needs to play a few games, and needs confidence - just like any other player, particularly young one. I’ve seen many posters say this about others, like Shaw, for example, but then feel it doesn’t apply to Martial.

After all, we surely are not debating whether he is a talented footballer or not? He’s shown he is numerous times. We need to extract it from him consistently, and we should all be on the same side in trying to do this as opposed to this moronic faction game where some say he’s rubbish and call anyone who thinks otherwise a ‘Martial lover’ or whatever. The reality is, we need this threat in the team. Sorely. The Hazard, Sane, Sterling, Salah etc kind of role. The reality is Sanchez is not delivering it. We need someone to do it, as we would be a far better team. Stop fecking fighting each other over your own player, you imbeciles!

Kostov

I hope he shows the same fight Shaw demonstrated. Life can be a bitch and it's not always fair, neither a winner like Jose Mourinho. A guy like Jose will always have his own ideas and demanding nature, even double standards, but if Martial takes it on like Luke for example, he will come out of it a better player, that is for sure. I hope it pens out like that, the talent is there, in the end it's all in his own hands.

Andersons Dietician

Yeah this is very true, at one point he did bin 2 of them but then there was a 3rd who was that Mbouba guy who looked super strong and fast, but it’s evident as soon as he got the ball there were always 2 or even 3 on him. He did sit that guy Mbabou down a few times as well and that show of strength when he turned the CB who charged him, bumped him and Martial span him, that was impressive.

That part about the one-twos is also very true, often you see people get on at him for not making runs but he actually does quite often they just aren’t picked out or he tries those one- twos like he tried with Lukaku last night and although he is the obvious pass and the one to cause the most damage Lukaku turned away and to Rashford. Things like this happen all the time and not just to Martial.

I thought on the defensive side he did well last night too. He maybe isn’t the type to stick a foot in but he always goes back to help and take up a position something that I feel always goes unnoticed and then people say he is lazy defensively because he doesn’t have that high tackle stats.

His goal last night that moment, Pogba won it, then you had Lukaku, Rashford and Martial all in high forward positions to attack which is something you don’t see often enough as the other two are normally in fullback positions, but that is what United should be about. Rashford s run was horrible and almost killed the move so the 3 of them need to work on that but that is what it’s about, as soon as Pogba got that ball they (YB) were in trouble.

James Peril

Seldom has body language bothered me as much as with Martial. There are tales about Assou-Ekotto hating football, but based on Martial's expression it looks like he is tortured into making an effort. How difficult can it be to smile and show some passion when doing something great? It's not helping him is it... it will only fuel rumors, articles and crap from the media.

dove

Better than Rashford that's for sure but it's not saying much. I thought he was quite average again yesterday even thought he scored a goal. Got in a very good positions quite a few times but then the decision making or final pass let him down.

Dec9003

Looks a different player in Central areas even though he miss timed the passes - yet he made the right decision. We need him to play centrally.
Given how we play at the moment all our front three get time in the centre and time on both flanks which seems to be working fine.

Aloysius's Back 3

Given how we play at the moment all our front three get time in the centre and time on both flanks which seems to be working fine.
Think it's different - we have strikers who start out wide that then go in to the centre.
That's different to our strikers starting out centrally and drifting out wide. One is much easier to defend against especially when they lack the quality to be wingers in comparison to being strikers.

Martial's best season came when he started centrally but would drift out wide to find the most available space. Rashford's best performances for United & England are when he starts out centrally but drifts out to find the right space at the right time - seen by his breakthrough season. Lukaku likes to drift out wide & behind the defence as he has said himself rather than being a Drogba like Central target man.

Dec9003

Think it's different - we have strikers who start out wide that then go in to the centre.
That's different to our strikers starting out centrally and drifting out wide. One is much easier to defend against especially when they lack the quality to be wingers in comparison to being strikers.

Martial's best season came when he started centrally but would drift out wide to find the most available space. Rashford's best performances for United & England are when he starts out centrally but drifts out to find the right space at the right time - seen by his breakthrough season. Lukaku likes to drift out wide & behind the defence as he has said himself rather than being a Drogba like Central target man.
It's not different, none of the players have fixed positions given they all offer something centrally and out wide.
Martials best season at United was under Van Gaal and he was only a striker up until that Arsenal game.
After that he played on the left wing and scored plenty of goals, what martial needs is to keep working and the goals will come.
A good example of how fluid we were last night is when Rashford our 'right winger' popped up on the left hand side and was unlucky to hit the post.
All I'm trying to say is starting martial upfront and Lukaku on the right will in many ways make no difference, because they all move around after the whistle blows anyway.

Aloysius's Back 3

It's not different, none of the players have fixed positions given they all offer something centrally and out wide.
Martials best season at United was under Van Gaal and he was only a striker up until that Arsenal game.
After that he played on the left wing and scored plenty of goals, what martial needs is to keep working and the goals will come.
A good example of how fluid we were last night is when Rashford our 'right winger' popped up on the left hand side and was unlucky to hit the post.
All I'm trying to say is starting martial upfront and Lukaku on the right will in many ways make no difference, because they all move around after the whistle blows anyway.
If Rashford hit the post from coming off from the right - why exactly do we play him on the right? What is the point? Why not just start him in the place he did well? He looked Better centrally than put wide where he couldn't take his man on.

We currently have no proper right winger - so why do we actually play with one?

Dec9003

If Rashford hit the post from coming off from the right - why exactly do we play him on the right? What is the point? Why not just start him in the place he did well? He looked Better centrally than put wide where he couldn't take his man on.

We currently have no proper right winger - so why do we actually play with one?
We don't.
We play with three forwards, but all of them at somepoint need to move outwide to balance the attack.
What you're suggesting is everyone go to their positions and stay there, which doesn't work.

Handré1990

If you'd read the post you should see it wasn't a negative about Martial. It was having a go at those that can't handle criticism of him (which is what Martial FC has always been a joke about rather than a slight on Martial), and comparing the similar situations of being out of form and played on the wrong side but no one mentioning that about Rashford, and instead acting like he has no talent.
It's painful when it gets down to explaining this stuff.

Agreed! And yeah, he does have excellent control to be fair. Nice for someone to actually respond like a normal person instead of trying to start an argument about him
Of course mate! I’ve no skin in this race. For reference I’ve been a huge fan of his, but gave up a little after seeing his effort levels initially this season, which in my head sticks out even more like a sore thumb all the while I feel the rest of the team have upped their efforts.

However, he did run with more conviction and fough well in the second half, which is the least we should expect. He didn’t have a good game by his own standards though, on that I agree with you. It is understandable that people are getting excited though. Just think if we got all of our talented attackers firing on all cylinders! :drool:

Handré1990

Hope he keeps his spot. Really should. Wasn't amazing, definitely not in the first half, but improved as the game went on and had a very good second half and deserved the goal. Sanchez has been absolute ass and absolutely should not be starting on the left. If Mourinho is intent on starting him, put him on the right wing because Sanchez on the left is not working.
Disagree. I think Sanchez creates a lot more opportunities for the team than Martial at this point in time. His off the ball work is certainly streets ahead. That’s when a lot on here thinks he’s done.. We do have an opportunity here though, with Rashford out.

Martial - Lukaku - Sanchez

Would be my choice, because I think getting Martial in form will help us tremendously. Not necessarily because he’s earned it, but it might be the best for the team.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I really hope we stick with him. Play Sanchez on the right.
If we get those two to perform they will transform our play.
I also liked his latest Insta post. Martial is a bit of a fan favourite at OT and I'm glad he sees that.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm glad Mourinho changed his mind about taking him off, would've been rubbish for him to come off after that. He's a bit of a confidence player I think, like Rashford is.

Canagel

I really hope we stick with him. Play Sanchez on the right.
If we get those two to perform they will transform our play.
I also liked his latest Insta post. Martial is a bit of a fan favourite at OT and I'm glad he sees that.
The fans always sing his song and even if we wanted to leave in the summer I'm sure deep down he knows the fans love him and know what he brings to the team.

Raven

The fans always sing his song and even if we wanted to leave in the summer I'm sure deep down he knows the fans love him and know what he brings to the team.
How people manage to get there backs up about him having a dip in form is beyond me. His talent is clear and he evidently loves the fans and the club (I reckon).

JohnnyKills

Some people are more willing to be patient with the 29 year old signed on big wages to improve our team straight away, than with a 22 year old.

There's almost a 1984 cult of big brother on here. If a player is out of the team, it's the right decision and let's reinvent the past to justify it.

It's the same stuff with Shaw. You will see in his performances thread he was being called fat, lazy, only ever had a few good games under LvG and doesn't have the right attitude literally up until the start of the season.
Five games into the season and all of that is completely silent.

Even as a Martial fan, I've been frustrated with his performancesssince January and thought he was in the wrong over his pre season antics. He certainly can improve aspects of his game too.

But young players sometimes need an arm around them, a consistent run of games, a bit of confidence. I feel like Jose's man management of our young players has been lacking in that respect.
Agree completely with this.

Some of Martial's critics make good and balanced points. Others just seem desperate to show their loyalty to the manager by kicking out at anyone who crosses him. Whether they think that unstinting loyalty is what makes a good fan, or they've got a touch of the top reds and are driven by the need for other people's approval, i have no idea. But some of the vitriol aimed at Martial in this thread is absurd.

He certainly hasn't reacted well to being dropped, but he's certainly got a right to feel harshly treated. Hopefully he can build bridges with Mourinho and become the player we all hope to see.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
He had an below average first half,so did most of his teammates against Young boys, but was impressive in the second half. Glad he got a goal, I hope he gets a run of games as Sanchez has been shockingly poor.

Mourinho needs to man-manage Martial better,tough love does not work on some players, especially young ones.

Martial needs to improve his off- the ball movement, he should know when to wait for the ball on his legs and when run to receive a pass or create space for his teammates. He should also improve his body language, it looks özil-esque.

EricTheKingTheKing

I think he was tremendous last night. Hold up the ball way better than Sanchez on the left. He actually looked surprised that he got pace to burn the young boys.

After he scored his confidence lifted his performance and I hope that he will start next game.
You thought he was tremendous last night?
Wow. Just wow.

Your expectations of the effort & standards one should aspire to be at when donning a United jersey are far too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.