Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Also Rashford won all the penalties he scored in PL IIRC. So looking at simple goal stats won't highlight their seasons, Rashford was consistent threat, so much that he won 4 or more penalties in league alone and that too against teams like City, Spurs, Leicester, Chelsea.
It's actually pretty convenient to leave out other comps out of it as well. Rashford scored 4 in COC, 2 against Chelsea, 1 against Colchester and City. Martial scored against Colchester only. Funnily enough Rashford also has more assists, despite him not being the 'good at hold up #9' bullshit.

Basically it's the same old idiotic excuses for Martial dished left and right. It's just that they're getting easier to dispel with every and each season given he's not really improving at all.

the chameleon

Also Rashford won all the penalties he scored in PL IIRC. So looking at simple goal stats won't highlight their seasons, Rashford was consistent threat, so much that he won 4 or more penalties in league alone and that too against teams like City, Spurs, Leicester, Chelsea.
Also, to add on top, Rashford has hit the woodwork more than any player. With a bit of luck, Rashford could easily be on 25 goals. Huge gulf in the two. No comparison. Sorry Martial FC.

littleman

Martial gets raked over the coals while Rashford doesn't?

COME ON

The reaction to Rashford was BRUTAL early this season, just look at any thread. Many many angry voices about Rashford paid first team wages but playing poorly, tons of arguments because other posters were saying it's not his fault he's being paid like a first teamer when he's not..

AM9 team you gotta do better with the spin

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Hard to take this even remotly serious when you say Lukaku was the worst constant starter in the league, even though his last season he scored more than Martial has ever done for us in a season. It just doesnt add up, unless you now think Martial is the worst constant starter in the league.
Firstly there is a lot more than just goals that go into how good a player is, and secondly Martial has never had a full season of playing as a striker for us. He's on track to beat that this season despite all the injuries (both his own injury and basically every other creative player in the squad being injured).

Stadjer

Been strange to see how much different the narrative has been when it comes to both.

Martial gets raked over the coals even though Rashford had the same struggles when the roles and injury were reversed earlier in the season.
In the end it comes down to ‘local lad’, English, academy player and looking busy on the field. There are a lot of fans and pundits who dont look past that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's actually pretty convenient to leave out other comps out of it as well. Rashford scored 4 in COC, 2 against Chelsea, 1 against Colchester and City. Martial scored against Colchester only. Funnily enough Rashford also has more assists, despite him not being the 'good at hold up #9' bullshit.

Basically it's the same old idiotic excuses for Martial dished left and right. It's just that they're getting easier to dispel with every and each season given he's not really improving at all.
Also, to add on top, Rashford has hit the woodwork more than any player. With a bit of luck, Rashford could easily be on 25 goals. Huge gulf in the two. No comparison. Sorry Martial FC.
Yeah, till last season they were at same level but this season Rashford has improved a lot and played at higher level.

Still believe they need each other to shine (maybe dependency varies) but when it comes to contribution this season it's Rashford.

littleman

In the end it comes down to ‘local lad’, English, academy player and looking busy on the field. There are a lot of fans and pundits who dont look past that.
No, it comes to dumb posters who try to spin in favor of their favorite players or employers

You would know

the chameleon

Yeah, till last season they were at same level but this season Rashford has improved a lot and played at higher level.

Still believe they need each other to shine (maybe dependency varies) but when it comes to contribution this season it's Rashford.
I agree with everything you say. But we also have to factor in the fact Martial is two years older than Rashford. He's had a headstart. I would even say on some levels he's more talented than Rashford. I just think Rashford has shown a much stronger willingness to be a top player. Martial just seems content plodding along with his large unjustified salary. I said at the start of the season that this is a make or break season for both Rashford and Martial. It seems like Martial hasn't delivered enough so far to justify not being upgraded. I just don't think he has the mentality to be a player that leads the attack Man Utd.

Righteous Steps

Martial lacks intensity in his game and that’s what will stop him being a truly world class player.

The only players in recent years who could get away with this while still being top quality are Hazard and Neymar, and both are better than Martial in respect to that whole they share his lack of intensity off the ball, the intensity and desire they show to get on the ball is better.

Martial lacks intensity in his game and that’s what will stop him being a truly world class player.

The only players in recent years who could get away with this while still being top quality are Hazard and Neymar, and both are better than Martial in respect to that whole they share his lack of intensity off the ball, the intensity and desire they show to get on the ball is better.
I agree, but i think it comes down to coaching too. We've never had a manager that demands the team play with high intensity. I think he would would improve if someone like Poch came in.

Andersonson

Or maybe they think Martial wasn't constant starter which will be back up by the number of mins he played.
How many games did he start last season then? Feel its a bit unfair taking minutes played, because when you play bad or get tired you get subbed off...

He started 27 games. Thats a starter. You have too look at all the stats, not just min played

Andersonson

I agree, but i think it comes down to coaching too. We've never had a manager that demands the team play with high intensity. I think he would would improve if someone like Poch came in.
Just speculations. We've never seen anything to actually see that other than wanting to.

If Deschampes, OGS, LVG or Mourinho cant get it out of you does it really hang on the managers?

I think not

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
How many games did he start last season then? Feel its a bit unfair taking minutes played, because when you play bad or get tired you get subbed off...

He started 27 games. Thats a starter. You have too look at all the stats, not just min played
He stared 18 league games, that's not a starter.

If you are talking about all competitions then it's around 50% of the games. That's not a starter, that's squad player role.

He'sRaldo

Just speculations. We've never seen anything to actually see that other than wanting to.

If Deschampes, OGS, LVG or Mourinho cant get it out of you does it really hang on the managers?

I think not
Martial tracked back and improved his defensive involvement a lot under Mourinho. Now under Ole, he's pressing high a lot more than before. Working hard hasn't been a problem for him, it's choosing his moments.

I think not
What did they say about his intensity?

dal

You surely can’t have watched our games if you think we haven’t played with high intensity this season.

I must admit martial has even showed at times, a level of intensity and I believe thats due to our management team.

However I just feel he doesn’t have that consistency and doesn’t really want do the off the ball running.

Ole just needs more quality, he’s going the right way. We’ll hopefully buy a top class striker and sell martial soon.

You surely can’t have watched our games if you think we haven’t played with high intensity this season.

I must admit martial has even showed at times, a level of intensity and I believe thats due to our management team.

However I just feel he doesn’t have that consistency and doesn’t really want do the off the ball running.

Ole just needs more quality, he’s going the right way. We’ll hopefully buy a top class striker and sell martial soon.
Really?? You really believe that? :lol:

What I meant was I don’t think we play at a high intensity level consistently.

Stadjer

No, it comes to dumb posters who try to spin in favor of their favorite players or employers

You would know
That last part is a bit childish dont you think? I guess you cant expect much more from a littleman though...

Those stats show that there isnt that much between Martial and Rashford. Rashford wasnt very good either when Martial was injured.

I do remember the 'Rashford' and other comments about Rashford but in general i think the reaction Martial is getting after a bad game or bad moments is far worse and more extreme than Rashford was getting. How Roy Keane reacted after the Liverpool game when Martial missed a difficult chance that he created himself was way over the top for example. After that game Martial missed a few easy chances (Burnley) or didnt play to well (Wolves - although what was he supposed to do by himself against the Wolves defense) and that provided the Martial-out brigade with some extra ammo.

So what is the difference between Rashford and Martial? Martial doesnt press or runs after the ball like Rashford does. Martial tries to block a passing lane and Rashford runs after the ball. Martial is from France and Rashford from Manchester and in general a 'local lad' will be cut some slack by supporters... if you dont believe that just look how long it took for Lingard to get any critism at all for example.

And yes, i do like Martial. I also like Pogba. Why i like them and why i want them to stay at Manchester United? They make games more fun to watch. They have the talent and ability to do special things. Martial isnt the best CF in the world but as long as Daniel James is the starting RW, Lingard/Mata/Pereira are starting games and there is almost no creativity in the team there is no reason to upgrade upon Martial right now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I feel like some newbies must be new joiners looking to wum.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Really?? You really believe that? :lol:

What I meant was I don’t think we play at a high intensity level consistently.
Well we did have a 20 minute spell against City were we played with a high intensity, a 15 minute spell against Liverpool, a 45 minute spell against Norwich and errr..... I think that's about it.
80 minutes out of about 3500 is a lot more than we could ever hope for. Extend Oles contract now Ed.

el3mel

Didn't think he was doing poorly before the goal. Not great but I'll say he was decent. Obviously great header that was. Was quiet second half though.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Quiet game outside of the goal from what I saw of the game, but it was a great finish.

Frank White

Very happy with the goal, even more happy for him though. Hopefully can properly push on now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That was almost the mirror image of martial. Rubbish outside the box but a real penalty box striker finish, lovely stuff.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He was seriously pissing me off before his goal, but what a goal it was

Finally stepping up in Rashford's absence

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Hopefully this is the last he gets paired up with James because he can never be the central striker who scores goals. He wants to play deep & wants to pass to the Strikers around him before he makes a run in to the box.

Just pair him up with Ighalo or Greenwood now & let him play behind them whilst those take up the spots he free's up.

If we continue with Martial as our main striker with no strikers around him then all he is going to get is hate & failure.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If you're going to do nothing for most of the game, at least score a goal... And that's what he did.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Brilliant header, that’s what I want to see from him.
I read so often on here that he can’t be a box striker, but he clearly can if he works on it.

RedDevilRoshi

Other than the goal, didn’t really do much else. Frustrating as he is such a talent but never produces it consistently enough.

mu4c_20le

I thought he worked pretty hard in the first half, but the passes were far too slow and we were unable to mount any serious attack. Chelsea were a bit better and created better chances simply because they moved the ball quicker. Deserved the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.