6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

14 goals and he missed 2 months. Excellent season tbh. Why is this thread quiet again? No doubt usual suspects will be out with the pitchforks next time we lose.

LJJT

Fantastic goal tonight. Think if that fell to any one else we would have got beat. Great goal and he was our only credible performer tonight

Nep77

Hoping he will go on a run and hit 25 goals. Won't happen if he is gonna play one man attack like last two games though.

Rolaholic

14 goals and he missed 2 months. Excellent season tbh. Why is this thread quiet again? No doubt usual suspects will be out with the pitchforks next time we lose.
20 goal contributions total after all that time out but because he doesn't run around like a headless chicken for 90 mins ala Lingard he gets slated regularly

Hoping he can continue his good scoring form as we'll need him to to have a chance at doing anything during the final part of the season given all our injuries

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's probably the same reason you're quiet when he goes on a non-scoring streak.

He's been bang average but he's scoring goals so I'm happy with him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
14 in 30 is no small feat. Him and Rashford stepped up like we hoped they would, it's just a shame injuries have fecked us. If we'd signed Bruno in the summer and had a fully fit squad, who knows where we could be now? I bet it would involve us being 4th though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If he and Rashford had played together more this season their goal tallies would be so much better. The fact that they've both scored as many as they have without our only consistent playmaker in Pogba (hopefully that changes with us signing Bruno), and both being injured for periods is impressive.

Djemba-Djemba

Did brilliantly for the goal and unlucky not to get another when he hit the post.

The period after he came off and before Bruno came on we had so little quality going forward it was frightening.

mu4c_20le

He's having a decent season.
Yeah stats don't lie, he is on course to the best season of his career.

Sometimes the criticism is justified, but often times people have unrealistic expectations of him. He's a quick forward who works best running onto the ball, but he's also made strides on improving his all round game now that Ole has given him the opportunity to be our 9.

Based Adnan

Feel sorry for him at times due to how isolated he is and the lack of service he gets

Considering he missed a big part of the season he's on course for a very respectable goal tally

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's probably the same reason you're quiet when he goes on a non-scoring streak.

No we are not quiet when he's average - we tell you what he brings to the team or how he isn't being played to his strengths & we get called out to be a supporter of a player more so than a supporter of United whilst valuing a useful player for us.

People act like he's bloody Lingard & Pereira with the hate.

Ever since Mourinho refused to play him as a striker - people have this assumption that he never wanted competition for a striker place & demanded this right to to be number one striker at United when that's not the case - all he wanted was to get games as a striker and not only as a left winger.

Get competition, get a different striker than martial that sticks around in the box than stays deep trying to play things together -

But literally the hate towards him is literally bloody toxic.

Literally he hasn't said a bloody bad word about us aswell and Pogba still gets more respect that Martial.

I just find it a bit bizarre.

He even talks abouts how he doesn't understand why everyone thinks he sulks & has a bad mentality because everyone in the squad finds him to be a bloody joker & though I spend no time on social media - new players and old players really don't think anything bad of his personality & you can see that - only the damn fans who know crap all about him.

Just tosh.

TrustInOle

Tbf, with the service our front line receive, it's a miracle we have almost 40 goals between Rashford, Martial and Mason. Hopefully the inclusion of Bruno improves on this even more.

Brightonian

Bit isolated but still did the business, and his hold-up play was sharp on a shit pitch in shit conditions. Shame for him he didn't get to enjoy that little attacking bonanza once Fred and Bruno had come on, but it was good sense to take him off when we did.

ReddBalls

He was good, given he had no service. Encouraging that he has nicked a goal despite not setting the game on fire twice in a week.

MadMike

Sometimes the criticism is justified, but often times people have unrealistic expectations of him. He's a quick forward who works best running onto the ball, but he's also made strides on improving his all round game now that Ole has given him the opportunity to be our 9.
You could put a prime R9 up front and he would struggle with that fecking midfield behind him all season.

Our 2 forwards (Martial and Rashford) have actually been carrying our arses this season, considering the poor service they've been getting and the amount of goals we've been shipping at the back. The only reason we're as high up the table as we are, is because those two have been able to come up with goals from very little.

Last edited:

Gomes

Midfield has absolutely nothing to do with him not managing to hold up the ball in the last 5 games. Martial has not carried anyone.

Bebestation

You could could put a prime R9 up front and he would struggle with that fecking midfield behind him all season.

Our 2 forwards (Martial and Rashford) have actually been carrying our arses this season, considering the poor service they've been getting and the amount of goals we've been shipping at the back. The only reason we're as high up the table as we are, is because those two have been able to come up with goals from very little.
Our forwards create chances for themselves - anyone with pupils could see that through out the season.

Even if it wasn't assists - Martial would drop in deep to hold up the ball, interlink passes, play quick through balls, quick one two's with players like Rashford, Greenwood & the 'Forward version' of Daniel James.

Literally that gets changed not only due the injury to Rashford - literally the only proper forward we had who was ready, but things like formation and playing players like Mata & James to try create chances for Martial rather than Martial try do his thing to try make life easier for forwards like Rashford & Greenwood.

Im glad for him that he is scoring goals off those players - but just because he will struggle at this sometimes does not mean he is useless - not in the right set up.

Hard to judge him tonight, he coasted the game on talent alone. His speed of thought and movement was far too much for them.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Class player...would be awesome in a functioning one touch team. Having an excellent season.

KennyBurner

Context really matters. Hes been out for more than 2 and a half months and yet has managed to have 20 goal involvements. Mind you he has been living off service from Pereira and Lingard. Just look at today for instance and the terrible support he had. He is having a decent season. Far from average.

Yagami

Good post resistant

The legend that is Andy Cole gave him MOTM. Not that there was much competition!

Yagami

Good post resistant
It was between himself and Dennis. I thought Martial showed more class overall.
I'd agree with that. Fred and Bruno did well in the limited amount of time they had, too, and I thought Shaw and Maguire were good, but, ultimately, Martial got the goal which is nice to take back Old Trafford.

Andersons Dietician

Interesting, feel like he has had much better games than tonight and he’s been crucified on here where tonight felt like he was alright. Great goal, some nice runs but wouldn’t have given him MOTM as I see so many have.

Do agree that the service in to him is non existent but surely just clearing out Lingard and Perreria would improve this massively.

When Fred and Bruno came on we suddenly looked a lot of a slicker unit and they even brought Mata in to the game so would be interesting to see those lot all together.

Raven

I'd agree with that. Fred and Bruno did well in the limited amount of time they had, too, and I thought Shaw and Maguire were good, but, ultimately, Martial got the goal which is nice to take back Old Trafford.
Didn't fancy Maguire much tonight, thought he was okay. Shaw was good and Fred and Bruno looked the best of the lot but weren't on long enough. Martial knocking out another game changing moment is great and his all around game looked to be sharper today than it has in a while. Hopefully he kicks on from here.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He looked up for it which is a good news. Usually when he is in form, he gets on the score sheet for multiple games in a row. Hopefully he stays injury free and keep banging them in. Don't care about the perfectionist in this thread who wants everything to be done in perfect manner from Martial. As long as he is scoring, I wont care about the misplaced pass or not "running hard enough" (which isnt true).

kundalini

Fantastic goal, stealing possession from their throw-in then getting in front of the defender and calm finish. Also a super left foot shot from distance that Mignolet saved on to the post. Attempted to find Mata, rather than shoot from an angle in the 2nd half; didn't come off but not far from being an own goal.

KennyBurner

Its actually insane that we dont create enough for him. Jota scored a hattrick today because he has so much support in all phases of play. Whether its traore bombing down the wing and crossing or moutinho/neves making long passes for him. He has the support!

We have the worst footballing project of any top team ever. None of our attackers have scored a hattrick after all the money spent. That should tell you guys something. We need to break the curse and get revenge this weekend against watford.

Kentish

Needs to ride this little run of form! Feel like he’s in for a brace at the weekend. Martial FC will never die

meamth

He is very good with both feet.

That chance hitting the post, nobody cares when he cuts in because his favorite foot is his right.
He smacked one, hits the post. Delightful to watch.

The other day against Chelsea when he got through from Bruno's ball, instead of placing shot using his right, he nicked a shoot with his left.

He is steadily improving, have faith my fellow reds.

Arka_BleedingRed

This thread, seriously. Judging by the comments, one could presume that he has failed to register a single goal/assist in a calendar year, or been that sh!t forward who has been goal less for about 6 months and still gets played, or he is Andreas Pereira, the guy who is always a few seconds behind real time.

Time and time again, he has had the likes of the above mentioned players to play with, and people keep slating him with their unrealistic expections. A player can only be as good as the system he plays in. In a team of Lingard, Pereira, Mata, Matic there absolutely was no coherence, forward passes, in fact the few passes forward were so astray, they led to loss in possession. He was completely starved of any proper service.

Let Bruno, Fred, SMcT come in along with Rashford and Pogba, then we shall see if Tony Martial is the Sh!t player most of the posters here says him to be.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He did really well for the goal and the most impressive piece of play was his shot with left foot. Would have been awesome goal.

thepolice123

Would have been torrid week for us till the weekends without his two goals conjured up from practically nothing.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
No we are not quiet when he's average - we tell you what he brings to the team or how he isn't being played to his strengths & we get called out to be a supporter of a player more so than a supporter of United whilst valuing a useful player for us.

People act like he's bloody Lingard & Pereira with the hate.

Ever since Mourinho refused to play him as a striker - people have this assumption that he never wanted competition for a striker place & demanded this right to to be number one striker at United when that's not the case - all he wanted was to get games as a striker and not only as a left winger.

Get competition, get a different striker than martial that sticks around in the box than stays deep trying to play things together -

But literally the hate towards him is literally bloody toxic.

Literally he hasn't said a bloody bad word about us aswell and Pogba still gets more respect that Martial.

I just find it a bit bizarre.

He even talks abouts how he doesn't understand why everyone thinks he sulks & has a bad mentality because everyone in the squad finds him to be a bloody joker & though I spend no time on social media - new players and old players really don't think anything bad of his personality & you can see that - only the damn fans who know crap all about him.

Just tosh.
No one is hating him (i think?) but Martials problem is and has always been consistency, was very good yesterday and when he springs to life like the goal he scored yesterday he really shows his class.

Vs Burnely for example though, he was absolutely brutal and rightfully got slated. The problem with his imo is that the difference between his top level and bottom level is just massive and you never really know what you get with him. Personally i was thrilled when we shipped of Lukaku and gave the CF spot to Martial, but he needs to be more consistent over the course of the season

Quinzaine

Let's summarise Martial's season up statistically:
14 goals and 5 assists in roughly 2200 minutes this season.

- Same number of non penalty goals (13) and assists (5) as Rashford this season, having played 100 mins less than Marcus.
- Same number of combined Goals and Assists (19) this season as Harry Kane, having played exactly the same number of minutes.
- More combined G+A than Aubameyang and Griezmann who are on 18 and 17 respectively for the season (having played less minutes than both).
- 4 more goals than Firmino in all competitions.
- One goal fewer than Tammy Abraham (15) in all competitions, having played 200 mins less than the Chelsea striker.

He's by no means flawless, but a player that can put up numbers like that playing for possibly the most disjointed United side in recent history should be appreciated, and you really wonder what kind of numbers he'd have put up if he had the chance to play with likes of Pogba, Rash and Bruno more than he has been able to so far this season. He's a super talent and he's getting more confident as a goalscorer. If we were a rational fanbase, it would be quite clear he's quite literally almost the least of our worries.

Bebestation

No one is hating him (i think?) but Martials problem is and has always been consistency, was very good yesterday and when he springs to life like the goal he scored yesterday he really shows his class.

Vs Burnely for example though, he was absolutely brutal and rightfully got slated. The problem with his imo is that the difference between his top level and bottom level is just massive and you never really know what you get with him. Personally i was thrilled when we shipped of Lukaku and gave the CF spot to Martial, but he needs to be more consistent over the course of the season
And I get that & yet, people act like this team is filled with players who are playing consistent all the time.

LVG's tenure he was one of the most important players.
Mourinho's tenure he arguably saved his arse.
Ole's tenure literally all of United's final third attack is constantly revolving around him and nobody else and yet people are complaining about his consistency - that's what I find confusing.

Give the lad a little break man.

He's had one full season as a striker at United if I remember correctly because half way through LVG's tenure he started using Rooney centrally more aswell.

No one is here to convince anyone that he is a Balon do'r winner & he never sulked about competition for striker spots so he will deal with that if that comes & that should come because he is a very niche style striker that requires right set up to work but that doesn't make him cr*p.

That requires the right players, the right formation, the right tactics & the right manager for it to work.

You've seen it at other clubs - strikers who looked absolutely woeful suddenly looked like they were controlling the game in a different way under a different set up under a different manager & many of us saw it when Martial was playing centrally playing next to Rashford - not only become a better version of himself but help make Rashford become a better version of himself too because he is that type of striker; a supporting one.

Just the hate to performance ratio is very skewed in my opinion.

I know it ultimately won't stop because he may not get that goal when we need it the most - because as you say you see it he is never consistent but expecting a support striker to be the most consistent goal scorer is a tad unfair; especially when there's no one else about.

Status
Not open for further replies.