6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepolice123

The goals were impressive but the most remarkable thing was that LVG was using him similarly to how he used Robben in the preceding WC. You had a freshly signed 19 year old who operated as the creative hub of the team.

I agree on your point that he'd be best served under a coach who could actually get through to him but he seems to be pretty stubborn. Van Gaal's approach with him was to highlight his strengths and mask his weaknesses as opposed to trying to coach the weaknesses out of him.
LVG wanted Martial to be our main striker but he knew Martial wasn’t ready yet. In his first season with us he played a mixture of LW and CF.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
LVG wanted Martial to be our main striker but he knew Martial wasn’t ready yet. In his first season with us he played a mixture of LW and CF.
That's not why Martial played wide, it's because Memphis was subpar on the left.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Real coach will put him on the left or bench him. That's a fact.
Martial has 15 Goals + 5 Assists so far in 2,342'. That's 117 mins per goal involvement.

Kane = 17G +2A in 2230'. 117 mins per goal involvement. Actually level with Kane you know.

Auba = 17G + 1A in 2411'. 133 mins per goal involvement.
Firmino = 10G + 12A in 2947'. 133 mins per goal involvement.
Griezmann = 13G + 4A in 2698'. 158 mins per goal involvement.

Outperforming them all this season. Not a real striker though...

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
bad performance other than the goal, especially before it, but my god. not just the chip but also the little shift/turn before it, pure talent.

LoneStar

This game summed him up nicely. Very frustrating for a lot of the game, then comes up with a world class goal. That was pure filth.

But it's always a good sign when you are scoring even if not playing well. Long may this continue, need him and Bruno to form a good understanding.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Weird that people still criticize him after today. Thought he had a very good game throughout. Worked hard, made runs, was physical with defenders, held the ball up (some times it didn't come off but that'll happen), etc.

The goal to cap it off was just sublime though.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
"A scorer of fantastic goals, not a fantastic scorer" someone written here at the start of the season. And while that still remains the truth to some extent as he doesn't get enough of those ugly, easy goals and his anticipation can certainly be better the truth is he also never really played in a well-functioned attacking side during his time here. The one which could really elevate him as you can see he has another level in himself.

Good season so far (and 3 sublime goals in a row).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's almost better when he's not in the game - he scores when that happens :lol:

Beautiful skill for the goal, but more importantly a good well timed run in behind the defense which is something we need more often from him.

Shame he messed up the pass in the first half to Fernandes as it could have been even better.

Mike Smalling

3 massive goals in a week! Say what you will about his performances in general, but he is so important for us right now with Rashford being out. Credit to Ole for managing the minutes he gets so he doesn't burn out or get injured, because he has to start every EL and PL game right now.

Jeffthered

I did not see the game, by all accounts he scored a well taken, clever goal.

I have made my views very clear on Anthony Martial, based on nearly four years or so at the club. And I maintain that. I was more impressed with his header last week (because he never heads the ball).

But I await judgement before I begin to change my mind. Rashford scores great goals. Martial scores well taken goals, but quite rarely.

Has he hit 10 in the Premiership this season? He was awful against Chelsea, but scored a cracking goal.

He isn't in the same class as the top strikers in Europe, and a couple of goals within the week do not change that. He, in my opinion, has much, much to prove at Manchester United. Compare Rashford's development against his. From a very questionable season and attitude last season, Rashford has recently captained this team. He is growing into a real United forward.

Martial still has some way to go, and I for one am fed up with waiting. Four years is too long. Far too long.

Skills

Snitch
The goals were impressive but the most remarkable thing was that LVG was using him similarly to how he used Robben in the preceding WC. You had a freshly signed 19 year old who operated as the creative hub of the team.

I agree on your point that he'd be best served under a coach who could actually get through to him but he seems to be pretty stubborn. Van Gaal's approach with him was to highlight his strengths and mask his weaknesses as opposed to trying to coach the weaknesses out of him.
I'm pretty sure at every other club in Europe, that's actually what they pay their coaches to do. You're meant to get the best out of the players at your disposal.

Unfortunately, our club is run like an art project where a manager is given the license to do whatever the feck he wants and while everyone else just watches and hopes it all 'clicks' into place. It's why we're constantly in 'transition' or 're-building'.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

I have made my views very clear on Anthony Martial, based on nearly four years or so at the club. And I maintain that. I was more impressed with his header last week (because he never heads the ball).

But I await judgement before I begin to change my mind. Rashford scores great goals. Martial scores well taken goals, but quite rarely.

Has he hit 10 in the Premiership this season? He was awful against Chelsea, but scored a cracking goal.

He isn't in the same class as the top strikers in Europe, and a couple of goals within the week do not change that. He, in my opinion, has much, much to prove at Manchester United. Compare Rashford's development against his. From a very questionable season and attitude last season, Rashford has recently captained this team. He is growing into a real United forward.

Martial still has some way to go, and I for one am fed up with waiting. Four years is too long. Far too long.
Yep that was his 10th today.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Rashford has been better this season, but there isn't that much in it.

After today's game against Watford, they've both played 31 games this season. Martial has 15 goals and 5 assists, so 20 overall. Rashford has 19 goals and 5 assists, so 24 overall.

Martial's scored more than Son (in less minutes played) and Firmino in the league, the same as Jesus, 1 less than Sterling and Kane (in less minutes) and 2 less than Raul and Mane (again, in less minutes).

Bar a bad patch in January when Rashford got injured, he's had a good season, and has been pretty consistent.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

Who do you class as the top strikers in Europe 24 or under? He has an identical PL record to Kane this season, (Kane 11G+2A in 1780' vs Martial 10G+3A in 1718') whilst outperforming the likes of Griezmann, Aubameyang & Firmino.... pretty good for someone who's not in the same class don't you think?

Stands to reason, he can only be even better next season too, considering he had to readjust to the position this season.

Why do you think it's also fair to include the 3 Mourinho years when judging him? He had his minutes slashed in half each season under Mourinho, (4k minutes under LVG in 1 season, to 6k minutes in 3 seasons overall under Mourinho), whilst being frozen out, shunted on the wing, and actively trying to get rid of him. As a 20-23 year old, these important years for his development were practically wasted by Mourinho, yet there is no acknowledgement of this important fact. When you say he's had 4 years and you're fed up of waiting, is he not to blame..?

Last edited:

thepolice123

Rashford has been better this season, but there isn't that much in it.

After today's game against Watford, they've both played 31 games this season. Martial has 15 goals and 5 assists, so 20 overall. Rashford has 19 goals and 5 assists, so 24 overall.

Martial's scored more than Son (in less minutes played) and Firmino in the league, the same as Jesus, 1 less than Sterling and Kane (in less minutes) and 2 less than Raul and Mane (again, in less minutes).

Bar a bad patch in January when Rashford got injured, he's had a good season, and has been pretty consistent.
Who do you class as the top strikers in Europe 24 or under? He has an identical PL record to Kane this season, (Kane 11G+2A in 1780' vs Martial 10G+3A in 1718') whilst outperforming the likes of Griezmann, Aubameyang & Firmino.... pretty good for someone who's not in the same class don't you think?

Stands to reason, he can only be even better next season too, considering he had to readjust to the position this season.

Why do you think it's also fair to include the 3 Mourinho years when judging him? He had his minutes slashed in half each season under Mourinho, (4k minutes under LVG in 1 season, to 6k minutes in 3 seasons overall under Mourinho), whilst being frozen out, shunted on the wing, and actively trying to get rid of him. As a 20-23 year old, these important years for his development were practically wasted by Mourinho, yet there is no acknowledgement of this important fact. When you say he's had 4 years and you're fed up of waiting, is he not to blame..?
I wouldn’t bother. This is a rabbit hole discussion. Bring out the stats and they talk about things like desire, work-rate, oh and also, body language. It is never-ending.

Red_toad

Why are people comparing his goal tally to Kane’s? Kane has been injured a lot of the season.

Brilliant goal today by Martial, but still has a lot to prove in his all round game.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Why are people comparing his goal tally to Kane’s? Kane has been injured a lot of the season.

Brilliant goal today by Martial, but still has a lot to prove in his all round game.
Martial has, too. People forget that.

Kane has still played more minutes in the league than Tony yet has only scored 1 more.

Red_toad

Martial has, too. People forget that.

Kane has still played more minutes in the league than Tony yet has only scored 1 more.
25 games 17 goals Kane
31 games 15 goals Martial
Plus Kane is playing in the champions league against better defenders. Love how people ignore total games and look to justify by only counting league games. Put Kane in the Europa league against the fodder we’ve faced and he’d have a sack full of goals.
Anyways, like I said strikers under 24 was mentioned then. Kane and Griezmann came into the equation? Why? Why not Haaland? 30 games 40 goals....
Too many fanboys who ignore his weaknesses and blindly defend him. Martial is a work in progress and still has a lot to prove.

Yagami

Good post resistant
25 games 17 goals Kane
31 games 15 goals Martial
Plus Kane is playing in the champions league against better defenders. Love how people ignore total games and look to justify by only counting league games. Put Kane in the Europa league against the fodder we’ve faced and he’d have a sack full of goals.
Anyways, like I said strikers under 24 was mentioned then. Kane and Griezmann came into the equation? Why? Why not Haaland? 30 games 40 goals....
Too many fanboys who ignore his weaknesses and blindly defend him. Martial is a work in progress and still has a lot to prove.
Erm, it was @Jeffthered who brought up his LEAGUE tally. Not us who defend him.

It's sad how some cant appreciate the talents we have. Instead, labelling those who appreciate what he brings to the side as "fanboys" in a silly, unnecessary, condescending way.

The United

Erm, it was @Jeffthered who brought up his LEAGUE tally. Not us who defend him.

It's sad how some cant appreciate the talents we have. Instead, labelling those who appreciate what he brings to the side as "fanboys" in a silly, unnecessary, condescending way.
Well, imagine though you are a fan boy of a player who plays for the club that you are a fan of.

OldTrevil

Those type goals should come with a PG warning at least :smirk:

Overall much better game from Tony today, he's getting back in form and has a good link with Bruno. Probably salivating at the thought of being fed by him and Pogba...

Jeffthered

Why stop at 24? Why not 21, or 26..? That's no argument. Is he good enough to be Manchester United's first-choice No 9, and fire us back to glory. That's my question, and I am not convinced, despite a good week for him, that he is. Just compare Martial to the top Prem strikers.

I have always said that Martial has talent. But he does not inspire the team. He does not lead. Rashford is younger, and is more of a leader. Macguire seems to have some, some of that in him. Even McTominay in his own little way, has shown some emergence as an inspiration, and he has vastly improved. Al of our great forwards are inspirational. All of them, and he isn't I am afraid. And it frustrates me because he has the raw talent.

A No 9 at a big club, needs to be a leader, and inspire his team. A match winner. Martial is not that player, sorry. And he doesn't score enough. I don't care about second (or even third rate..) Europa League games. Vardy, Aguero, Kane... even the likes of Ings this season, and Aubamayang (look at today..).. these players really, clearly, define their team's attacking intent. They lead their team... consistently. Liverpool do not have out-and-out No 9, but Salah and Mane and consistently inspirational. Firminho supports them and it works.

I am pleased for Martial that he has scored a few this week. But I still could not bank on him as the Manchester United No 9. Comparing him to Griezemann is daft. Stop judging on one week. Griezemann has nothing to prove, he is world-class.

Rolaholic

Been getting serious Pogba x Martial vibes from Bruno and him :lol:

The chemistry between them is palpable and I hope it only grows stronger.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Been getting serious Pogba x Martial vibes from Bruno and him :lol:

The chemistry between them is palpable and I hope it only grows stronger.
It’s the banter and level of competitiveness that Bruno has managed to get out of him that has really flicked him on. I can’t help but think it all started when they teamed up on Teqball and slapped Andreas/Fred. Been bringing the best out of each other since then.

Phenomenal domino effect from Bruno.

fallengt

Still don't know if I should hate or love him. He's not no 9 by any mean and often goes missing then he does stuff like this.

cyberman

Martial is a great nunber 9. I hate the way we try and take the best from other sides and throw it on our expectations without rhyme or reason.
Hes unselfish, drops deep to allow others space and drifts wide to add fluidity to our play while being fantastic in close spaces.
He also blends really well with Marcus. Rashford needs that type of 9 to play with and you add in his increasing dead eye in front of goal and calls to replace him looks ridiculous.
Bruno and Pogba behind surrounded by Rashford and Sancho would be fecking deadly. Youre all insane.
I dont know what strikers hes being compared to unless we are resigning Ronaldo or Halaand

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Well I suspect your resistance will soften somewhat when you watch Anthony's goal today.
Pure sex.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He looks fecking delighted to have a midfielder at the club like Bruno finally. Good to see them forming a partnership.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Why stop at 24? Why not 21, or 26..? That's no argument. Is he good enough to be Manchester United's first-choice No 9, and fire us back to glory. That's my question, and I am not convinced, despite a good week for him, that he is. Just compare Martial to the top Prem strikers.

I have always said that Martial has talent. But he does not inspire the team. He does not lead. Rashford is younger, and is more of a leader. Macguire seems to have some, some of that in him. Even McTominay in his own little way, has shown some emergence as an inspiration, and he has vastly improved. Al of our great forwards are inspirational. All of them, and he isn't I am afraid. And it frustrates me because he has the raw talent.

A No 9 at a big club, needs to be a leader, and inspire his team. A match winner. Martial is not that player, sorry. And he doesn't score enough. I don't care about second (or even third rate..) Europa League games. Vardy, Aguero, Kane... even the likes of Ings this season, and Aubamayang (look at today..).. these players really, clearly, define their team's attacking intent. They lead their team... consistently. Liverpool do not have out-and-out No 9, but Salah and Mane and consistently inspirational. Firminho supports them and it works.

I am pleased for Martial that he has scored a few this week. But I still could not bank on him as the Manchester United No 9. Comparing him to Griezemann is daft. Stop judging on one week. Griezemann has nothing to prove, he is world-class.
Because he is 24. You said ''He isn't in the same class as the top strikers in Europe''. Do you think it's fair to compare him to strikers who are older than him and in their prime? Wouldn't it be fairer to compare him to strikers around his age? That's why i asked who do you class as the top strikers in Europe 24 or under?

I would answer your question as, it depends on how much more room you believe he has to grow. If you believe he has reached his ceiling, (which would be weird seeing as he's only 24), then i can see why you would be skeptical. Even then, you could look at his productivity with some truly dismal support supplying him so far this season & still be optimistic for the future... Look at his goal today & think of how many strikers are capable of scoring a goal like that? That's classic Martial.

This season, i believe he has only given a glimpse of what he has to offer so far. Imo there's much more to come with a quality supporting act behind him. Look at the difference Bruno has made in a few weeks already. It makes me very excited for next season. Take out pens & Martial has an identical goals contribution record to Rashford (13 overall) in the PL, in almost 2 fewer matches worth of mins, (Rashford has played 164 more mins). I don't want to bring up the tired debate of Rashford vs Martial, but it should give you some food for thought.

That's your opinion of course, but I highly disagree when you say Martial does not inspire or lead. Did you miss his first season under LVG? At 19 in a different country, i remember him inspiring us almost every week back then. It seems you're describing him as a pushover, when there's never been any evidence of it. If he was, wouldn't he have asked to leave when Mourinho was actively trying to force him out? Yet Mourinho is gone & he's still here, as the main No.9. That takes character don't you think?

Again, you're judging him as if this is all he as to offer & he cannot grow any further. Vardy at 24 was in non league... Vardy is now 33, Aguero 31, Auba 30, Kane 26, Ings 27, Firmino 28, Salah 27, Mane 27... Martial is 24, getting proper minutes for the 1st season in 3 years, and he's actually outperforming the majority of them so far... maybe give him a chance?

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

Both have the same output in the same number of minutes (not counting PKs), yet Rashford is inspirational and has kicked on and become a true United player, but Martial is sulking, inconsistent and needs to be replaced?

The agenda is just unbearable. Both of them are great talented young player who have stepped up and carry our dogshit attack this season, often alone. Both of them have stretches of being ineffectual, or scoring when their game overall is subpar, as is expected playing with a midfield devoid of creativity as ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.