6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I think it was because at a point last season, when everyone was gunning for Lukaku, calling him lazy (this and that) and saying he doesn't run enough, when the stats were drawn up for distance covered per 90, Martial had the lowest average for distance covered per 90 minutes out of all top-flight forwards that season with just 8.4 km. It was only 1km per game less than Rashford however Rashford was making twice as many high intensity sprints.

Now I don't know if Martial was playing injured last season but he has definitely improved in that regard so it may have just been that he wasn't at the required fitness levels and this year he is, so can cope with the physical demands better. But yeah, I think the "lazy" jibes came from the release of those stats, partially.
He because very frustrating to watch last season. Predictable dribbles, jogging after he has lost the ball or when he should press. Ole himself benched him because of how poorly he played. He's been much better this season but I can understand why there are still question marks around him.

There's alot of polarizing opinions about how he's played this season. Some think his hold up play is had some say it's one of his qualities etc. But if you watch every game he's played this season you would know one thing - He's inconsistent. Great hold up play against Norwich, shit hold up play and gets bullied against Wolves. Plays shit in the first minutes against Watford then scores a banger etc. He reminds me of Nani.

I'm personally overlooking his inconsistency because it's his first season as a striker in a while and he's had Lingard/Pereira behind him (He links up much better with Mata). He's still putting in good numbers so I think another season with him as our striker should be given to him. But if he's still the same inconsistent Martial we have to start considering that we would not go up another level with an inconsistent no 9

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
There's a part of me that really wouldn't mind him moving to a club like Arsenal after Pochettino and the fans ditches him to help a new generation unearth alongside martinelli and guaendouzi. :lol:

We can just stick with Ighalo and see how Rashford plays alongside him because that's actually in peoples heads.

hmchan

I think it was because at a point last season, when everyone was gunning for Lukaku, calling him lazy (this and that) and saying he doesn't run enough, when the stats were drawn up for distance covered per 90, Martial had the lowest average for distance covered per 90 minutes out of all top-flight forwards that season with just 8.4 km. It was only 1km per game less than Rashford however Rashford was making twice as many high intensity sprints.

Now I don't know if Martial was playing injured last season but he has definitely improved in that regard so it may have just been that he wasn't at the required fitness levels and this year he is, so can cope with the physical demands better. But yeah, I think the "lazy" jibes came from the release of those stats, partially.
From what you quote, it's pretty clear who are bringing up the "lazy" issue and defending it themselves. In fact, no one is accusing Martial for being lazy, at least not in the recent pages I have participated. Interesting.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
There's a part of me that really wouldn't mind him moving to a club like Arsenal after Pochettino and the fans ditches him to help a new generation unearth alongside martinelli and guaendouzi. :lol:

We can just stick with Ighalo and see how Rashford plays alongside him because that's actually in peoples heads.
Why would you want him to move to Arsenal after doing so well for us lately? Heck even Rashford's game drops off when he isn't here.
What is wrong with people on this thread?

Bebestation

Why would you want him to move to Arsenal after doing so well for us lately? Heck even Rashford's game drops off when he isn't here.
What is wrong with people on this thread?
I don't. I think hes great & I only said that because I genuinely can't take listening to the 'fans' that brush away his good performances like he did shit all. You then listen to what they say and realise that they have no understanding of the environment they watch football in - has usually picked out Martial as a scape goat in a first 11 that has significant flaws and isnt consistent itself - only to be told that we keep making excuses for a player that has his own fan base! :annoyed:

A lot of these same 'fans' did the same thing with Rashford but shut up shop once he moved to LW and still cant see that Martial gets good use out of him.

That's why as much as I want him to be here, the anti-martial brigade suck and I'd rather him go to another club like arsenal, retire lacazette,win stuff, just to hurt the fans who complain over someone who is a great player to watch in the right system.

Web of Bissaka

.....anti-martial brigade suck and I'd rather him go to another club like arsenal, retire lacazette,win stuff, just to hurt the fans who complain over someone who is a great player to watch in the right system.
^ Woah, I get your pain, and yes like always in forums, things can get unjustifiably heated up.

Those "fans" did "shut up" when Martial performed well in the systems that you assume not the "right system" he's fitted into.

The more Martial perform well, the more they'll shut up and eventually/hopefully some (others will forever won't) of 'em will change their mind. This happened many times with our players -- Fred and McT are two most recent examples. So bother yourself only with those who may be willing to change their mind -- imo they are the ones who are open-minded in this football discussions despite using harsh words. Just ignore the close minded ones -- it's a lost cause "discussing" with them, pointless and waste of time.

Art Vandelay

I don't. I think hes great & I only said that because I genuinely can't take listening to the 'fans' that brush away his good performances like he did shit all. You then listen to what they say and realise that they have no understanding of the environment they watch football in - has usually picked out Martial as a scape goat in a first 11 that has significant flaws and isnt consistent itself - only to be told that we keep making excuses for a player that has his own fan base! :annoyed:

A lot of these same 'fans' did the same thing with Rashford but shut up shop once he moved to LW and still cant see that Martial gets good use out of him.

That's why as much as I want him to be here, the anti-martial brigade suck and I'd rather him go to another club like arsenal, retire lacazette,win stuff, just to hurt the fans who complain over someone who is a great player to watch in the right system.
If people having a different opinion on a player than you causes you to feel this way then they aren't the problem, you are. It's football, people have different opinions, yours is not the correct and only one. If you're so insecure that you need to dismiss everyone who doesn't agree with you as anti this or that then you're the one with the problem. If you feel so strongly about a player that you want him to leave just to spite people that don't agree with you, then again, that speaks more of you than them.

You've flat out made stuff up while ranting like a mentalist in here just because people don't agree with you on one player. It really can't be good for you.

simmee

If people having a different opinion on a player than you causes you to feel this way then they aren't the problem, you are. It's football, people have different opinions, yours is not the correct and only one. If you're so insecure that you need to dismiss everyone who doesn't agree with you as anti this or that then you're the one with the problem. If you feel so strongly about a player that you want him to leave just to spite people that don't agree with you, then again, that speaks more of you than them.

You've flat out made stuff up while ranting like a mentalist in here just because people don't agree with you on one player. It really can't be good for you.
Also, going to Arsenal and win stuff is a bit of an oxymoron.

Bebestation

And you dont need to tell me what's right and wrong because your opinion is also rubbish.

Just as much as the martialFC doesnt really exist - the martial to Arsenal move doesnt exists and I'm glad that riled you up.

Martial is good enough to be a part of the squad of United long term and yet 'fans' want him sold for some reason when hes more than good enough competitively even though we do need different styles of strikers.

Easily one of the better performers at the club and then some fans doesn't see how potentially we play with 3 strikers in Rashford, Martial and Greenwood and that would only really work because martial does have the ability to drop deep sometime to play as a quasi-false 9 anyway as highlighted by the atheltic or the telegraph which is Ole's tactics anyway - that's why I bring Pochettino in to the mix because if he comes here, martial is gone.

Anyway just forget this shit. I talk to the same people about the same person about the same shit because as you say there is different opinions. Easily the worst thread. The fact is when people were shitting on Rashford that he was just a welbeck, there were people still supporting Rashford because plenty of people could see that he hadn't developed, that he needed the left position for him as a forward, that he needed a central strike partner who plays him in and many people could see that all that needed to do is swap martial and Rashford around. Now the same people shit on Martial and provide him no support, and the ones who do get called Martial FC :lol: - we supported Rashford too, we support all the players because that's what we do.

We dont have this short term need for instant success that belittle our players and needs to bring managers like Jose in to our mix that does more damage than good. Some fans are just like that and that too is just an opinion.

Art Vandelay

And you dont need to tell me what's right and wrong because your opinion is also rubbish.

Just as much as the martialFC doesnt really exist - the martial to Arsenal move doesnt exists and I'm glad that riled you up.

Martial is good enough to be a part of the squad of United long term and yet 'fans' want him sold for some reason when hes more than good enough competitively even though we do need different styles of strikers.

Easily one of the better performers at the club and then some fans doesn't see how potentially we play with 3 strikers in Rashford, Martial and Greenwood and that would only really work because martial does have the ability to drop deep sometime to play as a quasi-false 9 anyway as highlighted by the atheltic or the telegraph which is Ole's tactics anyway - that's why I bring Pochettino in to the mix because if he comes here, martial is gone.

Anyway just forget this shit. I talk to the same people about the same person about the same shit because as you say there is different opinions. Easily the worst thread. The fact is when people were shitting on Rashford that he was just a welbeck, there were people still supporting Rashford because plenty of people could see that he hadn't developed, that he needed the left position for him as a forward, that he needed a central strike partner who plays him in and many people could see that all that needed to do is swap martial and Rashford around. Now the same people shit on Martial and provide him no support, and the ones who do get called Martial FC :lol: - we supported Rashford too, we support all the players because that's what we do.

We dont have this short term need for instant success that belittle our players and needs to bring managers like Jose in to our mix that does more damage than good. Some fans are just like that and that too is just an opinion.
I genuinely never know if I should be replying to you or asking if you need help. You polarize everything and work yourself into these bizarre rants. I haven't even argued with you, I just pointed out the way you're going on can't be healthy and you've leapt into another massive rant painting everyone that doesn't agree with you as some sort of nefarious force harming the club.

InfiniteBoredom

It’s only what, a month since the last football was played.

I dread to think what this thread will be like during the summer months, especially if quarantine is still in place. Isolation seems to bring the worst out of people across the board.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Hmm.. people who made up their mind that Martial is great, accusing others who don't rate Martial as closed minded.

Bebestation

Hmm..

Talking about our beloved Rashford with the support of a scouser

"He knows he doesn't have to improve much to get paid more by United. Just do enough of the minimum requirement, like a government employee.

He just need to run down his 5 year contract, and as long as Ed is in charge, he'll get what he wants."

Now that's open minded and full fledged support. YAWA

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The state of that Tweet. Why are the youth of today incapable of writing in coherent English?
He abbreviated ‘for real’ to ‘fr’ and abbreviated ‘football’ to ‘ball’.

These darn youths!

zenith

Just like any other footballer, he'll be even better when surrounded by better players and he will be spurred on if we sign some quality competition for him. Even making the Ighalo deal permanent would help keep him on his toes.

Martial is great, but competition for places brings out the best in everyone, no matter the field.

Decomposing In Paris

Apparently this guy is not an out and out scorer.
Clearly the root of all our problems, needs replaced with someone who looks good on YouTube... or someone with potential. The papers & plastics all have him benched next season.

Does he need competition? Yes.
Does he need cover? Yes.
Does he need replaced? Wise up.

Snuffkin

This guy goes right under the radar. He needs the right kind of pressure.
He needs to have the limelight on him or he just goes to sleep.
I'd forgotten he existed.

ShinjiNinja26

Under the radar? We haven’t played a game in 3 months that’ll probably be why.

He literally scored in the last PL game we played and is on course to have his best season at the club. Strange comment.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Reading this and the other Martial threads, it's the opposite of the usual over-rating and inflated opinions about a player the longer they're gone. This guy scored the opener in the derby the last game he played and over here you'd think he's scored 5 goals against Tranmere all season.
Pogba is also very under-rated but that's true regardless of whether he's playing or not.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Reading this and the other Martial threads, it's the opposite of the usual over-rating and inflated opinions about a player the longer they're gone. This guy scored the opener in the derby the last game he played and over here you'd think he's scored 5 goals against Tranmere all season.
Pogba is also very under-rated but that's true regardless of whether he's playing or not.
So true.

This guy scored both home and away against the likes of Chelsea and City this season and his last game played he scored the opener against City yet reading posts about him you'd think he's been absolutely useless for us. You see threads asking for the guy to be replaced asap with whatever shiny new names your resident caftard has heard mentioned(but most likely haven't even properly seen them play).

Martial and Pogba are easily and by far the most unfairly criticized players on these boards. The fact some people have already set their minds and made up opinions about them means that whatever they do or don't do, those very same people will be looking to find holes. I still remember how after the city game, loads of people on the Caf were claiming he was one of our worst players on the pitch(because he didn't square a ball to new shiny guy Bruno). Meanwhile he was Sky official player of the match. This place is something :lol:

ShinjiNinja26

Aye it’s bizarre. Yeah he’s been a bit hit and miss at times since he joined us but he’s also had quite a few injuries which could be to blame. Now he’s finally looking like he’s becoming a consistent goal scorer and really enjoying himself, he’s literally on course to have his best season at the club. Strange time to start having digs at him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A couple of goals on Friday may quiet the caf for a game or two at most, but he’s never far from everyone turning on him. It’s the same cycle. He’s basically starting from negative, and every goal and good performance helps him lift his head above water, but it just resets the clock.

I’ve refrained from opening the latest mega-thread questioning him in the United forum as it will just annoy me. This constant conversation about ushering in life after Martial is just a but much. He’s just in that group of player who literally needs to become Messi or something to quiet the noise, as no bad game is forgiven, we’re still talking about it a month later, and it’s microanalysis in a manner that isn’t applied to everyone. It’s like every goal he scores is a ‘making his OWN fans eat their words’ moment.

He’s a quality player, let him be.

Based Adnan

He got injured for 2 months and the season temporarily cut short and despite this he still managed 16 goals. Don't think it's unrealistic to say he could have managed 25-30 with an injury free undisrupted season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
When Bruno came in, the limelight was all on him, yet Martial still produced. That great goal against Watford, another winner against City to go with his winner in the reverse fixture.

Season hasn't even restarted and you're already gunning for him!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
When Bruno came in, the limelight was all on him, yet Martial still produced. That great goal against Watford, another winner against City to go with his winner in the reverse fixture.

Season hasn't even restarted and you're already gunning for him!
This

At least wait for the guy to misplace a pass in the upcoming game to have an excuse to have a go :lol:

Yagami

Good post resistant
It's crazy!

As @ShinjiNinja26 says above, it's been 3 months since he last played and this is the first post in his performance thread since this part of the forum was closed.

I mean, at least wait until he plays a stinker! Some of our fans are way too eager to criticise our players.

Status
Not open for further replies.