6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's being underrated. I think it's only United fans that rate him highly and even then we still have a divided fanbase over him

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's being underrated. I think it's only United fans that rate him highly and even then we still have a divided fanbase over him
He's rated elsewhere, when he was struggling and/or falling out with Mourinho, Valencia, Inter, and Tottenham were all trying to get him IIRC. The pundits don't talk about him except to re-hash the same tired cliches from the past three years, with almost no updates regardless of whatever he does on the field.

KennyBurner

it’s between him and rashford. I don’t know why we include Bruno when he has been doing what’s expected of him. If he was here all season and was this efficient then I would give it to Bruno. Most of his stats also include penalties.

martial or rashford should win it. I’d rather martial for his consistency but rashford leading the club at 22 is also fine with me.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Considering Martial doesn't take penalties and was out for 2 months, I would give Martial player of the season award over Rashford but he is only just ahead. Both of them have been great and it is going to be exciting seeing them next season along with Greenwood.

RedCurry

Anthony “silk” Martial with a sublime give and go with “money” Ma$e Greenwood. Hope this becomes a thing.

Lj82

He's got my vote so far for PotS, he's been most consistent and he's won this team some valuable points.

The only two valid contenders, I feel, would be Rashford and Bruno, and neither matched his consistency throughout the season. If Bruno didn't drop off the last few games, he could have really made a run for it despite coming in halfway through the season, but even if he turns it around now, I can't see myself giving it to him over Martial. Rashford was not doing great at the start of the season until Martial came back, then he hit the form of his life. He's come back now and he's actually been doing well despite his struggles with finishing his chances, he's been creative, and selfless which is a facet of his game we didn't see much of earlier, but I don't think his impact is as great on the game overall as Martial has been throughout the season.
Yeah that's how I see it too. My vote goes to Martial

3KDré

He is definitely underrated. I've had a Liverpool fan tell me he is only good at dribbling and nothing else.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
He used to annoy me a fair bit because of his inconsistency but Tony's easily been our best player this season.

Bruno galvanised the squad, Rashford was great before he got injured, Fred even was fairly decent until he lost his place. However, none have been as good as Martial.

Strelok

Considering Martial doesn't take penalties and was out for 2 months, I would give Martial player of the season award over Rashford but he is only just ahead. Both of them have been great and it is going to be exciting seeing them next season along with Greenwood.
Imo your logic works if using to say Martial is the better player but not for POTY.

POTY is about contribution and imo penalty is contribution and 2 months out is not contribution.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's rated elsewhere, when he was struggling and/or falling out with Mourinho, Valencia, Inter, and Tottenham were all trying to get him IIRC. The pundits don't talk about him except to re-hash the same tired cliches from the past three years, with almost no updates regardless of whatever he does on the field.
That to me is and will always be shocking, viewers should be more demanding than that

Web of Bissaka

2nd longest pages for player performance thread.

Why? must be because of the CF role, he's definitely playing a more key role this season, inconsistent earlier seasons, and so much more consistent now.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
2nd longest pages for player performance thread.

Why? must be because of the CF role, he's definitely playing a more key role this season, inconsistent earlier seasons, and so much more consistent now.
If I recall correctly, Martial performance threads have always been some of the longest every year.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Good, Bad and the injured
Whether he plays well, mediocre or is injured, his threads always explode. Heck during the pandemic break, there were like 3-4 threads created about Martial(most of them asking him to be replaced) while this one was also active.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
My captain. No less of a leader than Maguire, and has been more influential. Good candidate for the armband. Not all captains have to be hot headed & vocal.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
My captain. No less of a leader than Maguire, and has been more influential. Good candidate for the armband. Not all captains have to be hot headed & vocal.
What on earth is wrong with this fan base

Last in line for captaincy.

Canagel

His hold up play has gotten so so good
His hold up has always been good. He is deceptively strong and holds off players very easily, he just wasnt able to demonstrate it as frequently on the left I believe.

The most interesting thing is how good his left foot has become. It makes him a nightmare to defend shooting off with both feet

Revan

Assumptionman
This is a recurring problem on the Caf, people go and judge other teams players through hype and highlights but have actually no idea how they perform as a whole. People will keep bringing Haaland goal stats but love omitting the fact that the bulk of those stats were achieved in Austria which should be completely irrelevant when judging a player relative to top leagues, especially the PL.

Every time you see someone claim that Haaland is better than Martial, just know that they haven't watched him play much and are judging him through hype and highlights. Martial is a better football player than Haaland but reading some posts on these boards you'd think otherwise.
This is not really true though. He has scored 14 goals in 16 matches playing in Bundesliga (while not even having a preseason with the new team and league) and something ridiculous like 10 goals in 8 matches in UCL. 26 goals in 26 matches in Bundesliga/UCL is a very ridiculous return for an 18 years old player, even not counting his goals in Austrian league. 44 goals in total on his first season is almost unheard of.

Raven

I think he's been better than Bruno considering how economical he is on the ball as well.
Economical is a good word for this situation, I've been trying to think of the word for it. Very rarely gives the ball away, he's world class in tight spaces.

Strelok

Please no. Agreed on the Maguire part though, me would prefer Bruno. Captains can be cold warm or hot headed but must be vocal.

kouroux

His hold up has always been good. He is deceptively strong and holds off players very easily, he just wasnt able to demonstrate it as frequently on the left I believe.

The most interesting thing is how good his left foot has become. It makes him a nightmare to defend shooting off with both feet
It wasn't this good post lockdown even. That has nothing with him playing on the left. This is something he has really improved on a lot since he first became a 9 this season

Raven

It wasn't this good post lockdown even. That has nothing with him playing on the left. This is something he has really improved on a lot since he first became a 9 this season
He's managed to add serious consistency to his hold up play. He was excellent at it till Rashford got injured, then his hold up play dipped with his general dip in form. I felt even when Bruno started with us, Martial's hold up stayed off the boil. Since lockdown it's been more consistent and generally superior to anything that came before it in that department.

Foxbatt

He has improved a lot and he should be scoring more as normally he is very good at hitting the target. Captaincy? No way. I do not see anyone with the Captaincy material in our starting eleven. I need someone who is going to fight for his team mates. Fred is the only one doing it and he is not in the starting 11.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
His hold up play has only improved because he is playing with players that naturally improve his game.

It was against Newcastle this season that I saw Martial's wonderful control of the ball and that happened when he played with Rashford and Greenwood next to him.

I noticed that it was exceptionally different to playing with Daniel James because James isnt an inverted forward capable of playing near to Martial. Rashford does this consistently playing as close to Martial as possible by running inverted towards him before making an one two pass with Martial which Martial does consistently great. On the other hand daniel james struggles to cut in so stays closer to the touchline meaning that he can hardly 1-2 pass with Martial; instead he ends up crossing to the box which requires Martial to be a more predatory striker taking his one off chances in the box which is not his natural game.

Fast forward from that Newcastle match and Rashford got injured. This meant that fans were going to keep a closer eye on him due to him being one of only fit attacking threats left and he was playing centrally.
At this time ole would make him play as a more direct predatory striker further up the pitch because the goals would have to come from him as Rashford was out. Daniel James, mata and younger Greenwood wasnt going to replace the Rashfords seasons goals straightaway but neither could they instantly play the 1-2 type passing that Rashford and Martial get up to. Martials game changed due to him playing a different type of striker (no point holding on to the ball to play in James who didnt make the runs in behind etc)at the same time as playing in different formations and players that didn't get the best out of him. This is when I noticed that alot of fans started questioning his first touch.

Martial always had great close control but even more - it's his short passing and ability to play in a chance to wider forwards afterwards is what's really good about him (greenwood goal vs west ham).

Martial is a pure systems player who works better in the right system and playing with the players that utilise him natural game.

@Canagel @Raven

Raven

His hold up play has only improved because he is playing with players that naturally improve his game.

It was against Newcastle this season that I saw Martial's wonderful control of the ball and that happened when he played with Rashford and Greenwood next to him.

I noticed that it was exceptionally different to playing with Daniel James because James isnt an inverted forward capable of playing near to Martial. Rashford does this consistently playing as close to Martial as possible by running inverted towards him before making an one two pass with Martial which Martial does consistently great. On the other hand daniel james struggles to cut in so stays closer to the touchline meaning that he can hardly 1-2 pass with Martial; instead he ends up crossing to the box which requires Martial to be a more predatory striker taking his one off chances in the box which is not his natural game.

Fast forward from that Newcastle match and Rashford got injured. This meant that fans were going to keep a closer eye on him due to him being one of only fit attacking threats left and he was playing centrally.
At this time ole would make him play as a more direct predatory striker further up the pitch because the goals would have to come from him as Rashford was out. Daniel James, mata and younger Greenwood wasnt going to replace the Rashfords seasons goals straightaway but neither could they instantly play the 1-2 type passing that Rashford and Martial get up to. Martials game changed due to him playing a different type of striker (no point holding on to the ball to play in James who didnt make the runs in behind etc)at the same time as playing in different formations and players that didn't get the best out of him. This is when I noticed that alot of fans started questioning his first touch.

Martial always had great close control but even more - it's his short passing and ability to play in a chance to wider forwards afterwards is what's really good about him (greenwood goal vs west ham).

Martial is a pure systems player who works better in the right system and playing with the players that utilise him natural game.

@Canagel @Raven
I think Martial is the least replaceable attacker in our front line, one of the reasons is because he's so effective at bringing the whole team into play.

Every player is a system player. The Chicago Bull's didn't win shit until the right system came in.

kouroux

Yes and no. Playing with better players helps of course but individually, him holding off strong CBs, turning and running with the ball has little to do with better teammates. This specific aspect is something he's worked on and became better at.

He's managed to add serious consistency to his hold up play. He was excellent at it till Rashford got injured, then his hold up play dipped with his general dip in form. I felt even when Bruno started with us, Martial's hold up stayed off the boil. Since lockdown it's been more consistent and generally superior to anything that came before it in that department.
Exactly. I agree with that

Told you he should play there. Convinced now? ;)
All hail Kev, the professor of football

Keefy18

Absolutely this.

Folks need to realize most pundits genuinely don't have a freaking clue what they are talking about and fire off cliches based on short term sentiments.

Sadly most supporters go a step further and roll out brain dead xenophobic slurs as well with the "sulky French lazy t*at stuff" as well.

RedStarUnited

Was watching a video of his goals, he has scored some really good goals this year.

Also, He must be the only player I can remember in recent time to score home and away vs Chelsea and City.

Status
Not open for further replies.