6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

I knew he'd eventually come good but the way Ole has transformed him into a real 9 is amazing

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Didn't lose ball and tried combinational football despite whole team playing like absolute amateurs against team devastated by injuries.

This sould not be fotgotten in final day of the season. Key contribution.

MiracleInMadrid

Has been incredibly clutch lately. Has been good most of the season, don't get me wrong. But where would we have been now without him in the last 10 matches.

Having him, Ighalo for half a season and Greenwood is still not enough with both the league and CL next season. Rashford can play there too of course, but we need a real striker as backup (edit).

Last edited:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Has been incredibly clutch lately. Has been good most of the season, don't get me wrong. But where would we have been now without him in the last 10 matches.

Having him, Ighalo for half a season and Greenwood is still not enough with both the league and CL next season. Rashford can play there too of course, but we need a real striker.
Are you serious?

criticalanalysis

Yes and no. Playing with better players helps of course but individually, him holding off strong CBs, turning and running with the ball has little to do with better teammates. This specific aspect is something he's worked on and became better at.
Yes agree. It's actually amazing to see because you can't say many of our players have actually improved in terms of ability. Form yes but not actual game play.

It's like Ole and coaches have just said 'concentrate less on giving width and make sure you hold the fecking ball. Sort out your first touch, get it out of your feet, hold it and lay off/square up the defender'. It's simple instructions but it takes a lot of hard work, discipline and technical skill.

Deserves a lot of credit for this under appreciated aspect of the game.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What part of my post are you referring to?
Just a guess, but I'm assuming he's taking issue with 'need a real striker' as if you were talking negatively about Martial, which isn't the case, we do need a real striker as back up or competition for Martial, especially if United is aiming for the top and Ighalo is gone soon.

pratyush_utd

What part of my post are you referring to?
Everything. Martial got us over the line. Scored 22 goals despite being 2 months out and not taking penalty for us. What else do you think "number 9" should achieve?

We need a backup to him but he is the real striker that we need.

Bwuk

Hopefully with a stronger side around him he’ll hit 30 goals next season.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I have a feeling Rashford will win PotY because he's an academy lad, but Martial deserves it the most IMO.

MiracleInMadrid

Just a guess, but I'm assuming he's taking issue with 'need a real striker' as if you were talking negatively about Martial, which isn't the case, we do need a real striker as back up or competition for Martial, especially if United is aiming for the top and Ighalo is gone soon.
Everything. Martial got us over the line. Scored 22 goals despite being 2 months out and not taking penalty for us. What else do you think "number 9" should achieve?
Okay, I didn't mean it that way. Sorry for my english. Bad choice of wording from me.

I meant that we need a backup for him. And a backup we can trust in tough matches. It is very apparant that Ole doesn't trust anyone else than Martial when everything is on the line. With two hugely important tournaments next season we need to have options on the bench that can be a real asset, and not just a player to fill in for the last five minutes of the match. Ighalo isn't that striker, Greenwood is not there yet and Rashford will probably already be on the pitch.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just a brilliant striker. Brings the right mentality every single game. Think more people will take notice of him next season and recognize what a player he's become.

0le

I'm sick to death of pundits saying we need a starting #9 and that Martial is a winger. Over the course of the season I'd say he has been our player of the year.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Hopefully we don't get to hear talks about his mentality(which shouldn't have happened in the first place). He remained the most consistent player during our most crucial run of the season and has managed to give us a chance every time the team wasn't playing well during this run. He showed up for all important fixtures and delivered. Won us loads of points.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The fact that Martial was out best out player in Van Gaal season where we struggled to score goals and would have gotten us top 4 in that last game against West Ham if not for our shambolic defending(He scored 2 to give us the lead and into top 4 for us to then concede twice and lose the game).

The fact that he managed to win his place back during Mourinho's time despite the latter not fancying him and mismanaging him. He even kept him in the job longer than he should.

This year he's shown again his mentality when he kept his form and consistency during a crucial part of our season. I never understood this narrative about his weak mentality by some when he's constantly shown the opposite.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Top performer in the second half of the season. He fixed his head. It''s good to see him like this. Will likely play for France now.

RooneyLegend

Thought it was a mediocre performance, first of the sort in a while. He's very important for our future as he has limitless potential.

pratyush_utd

Okay, I didn't mean it that way. Sorry for my english. Bad choice of wording from me.

I meant that we need a backup for him. And a backup we can trust in tough matches. It is very apparant that Ole doesn't trust anyone else than Martial when everything is on the line. With two hugely important tournaments next season we need to have options on the bench that can be a real asset, and not just a player to fill in for the last five minutes of the match. Ighalo isn't that striker, Greenwood is not there yet and Rashford will probably already be on the pitch.
I agree with backup part. We definitely need someone in January if Igahlo doesn't stay beyond that

Lj82

Having him, Ighalo for half a season and Greenwood is still not enough with both the league and CL next season. Rashford can play there too of course, but we need a real striker as backup (edit).
Yup. He has been one of our most important player in most games post lock down

kiristao

Consistency and hardwork were two words you never associated with Martial in his time here but this season and specially the run in he has been phenomenal.
Tracking back, holding the ball, getting others into play, scoring goals. Basically everything a no 9 needs to do he has done and most Importantly done it even when the team has not been playing well

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

No worries, I knew what you meant and agreed with it. Besides, it's only better for the whole team, Martial included, when there is genuine competition.

laughtersassassin

POTY easily. Fantastic.

Hope Rash gets a good rest before Europa. Completely off the boil other than his passing which has been good.

RedDevilRoshi

His best season since his debut campaign.

A lot of pressure on him to deliver this season as our number 9 after deciding against signing a new striker when we sold Lukaku to Inter.

Let's see if he can build on this next season and do even better.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
17 league goals this season, not bad at all. His overall game has been the biggest positive of the season.

Let's hope with some luck avoiding injuries he'll hit 20+ next season.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think it's inevitable, barring injuries, that he's going to build off this season and have his best one next and maybe (doubtful) change the narrative around him and his 'unfulfilled' potential. He has now a full season without being switched around, number taken off, inconsistent role, etc. He has stability, he has more creativity around him (and hopefully a huge boost this summer with Sancho). He was the best overall this season, but I can see him being even better and more prolific next one.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
Been a real pleasure to watch him this season, he’s really kicked on and turned himself into an exceptional striker. The partnership between him and Rashford is incredibly promising, put Sancho into that forward line and I don’t think there’s a much better front line in world football than that. Greenwood will get plenty of minutes as well. Our attacking line is looking very exciting for years to come!

Wayne's World

Must say I have been criticising him week in and week out this season and did for a little bit after lock down with his approach to matches but he's really done well the past few weeks. He is so talented that the sky is his limits really and he's working hard on his all-round game which I thought was lacking for so long as a forward.

I hope he can continue this onto next season and If he does he'll be in with a good shout of winning the golden boot next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.