Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
You can see that he is a level above Rashford up-front when he's missing. No question that we need him fit and firing up-front if we're to do anything.

DRM

You can see that he is a level above Rashford up-front when he's missing. No question that we need him fit and firing up-front if we're to do anything.
Absolutely, there's simply no comparison between the two.

acnumber9

That could have something to do with Pogba being missing at the same time. We’ll need Pogba or Martial will have the same problems.

ROFLUTION

That could have something to do with Pogba being missing at the same time. We’ll need Pogba or Martial will have the same problems.
While I agree that Pogba makes both better, Martial is way more effective in his finishing. I think Ole has spotted this too, hence why he's given him a new position

El-Manos

Our best forward option now. He’s absence has highlighted our struggle without him. Rashford is in terrible form.

acnumber9

While I agree that Pogba makes both better, Martial is way more effective in his finishing. I think Ole has spotted this too, hence why he's given him a new position
He is a better finisher but he’d struggle to finish nothing and I’d argue that Rashford is slightly better at getting into dangerous positions. Both will struggle without Pogba.

Andersons Dietician

The one think I’ve noticed in his absence is how much better his hold up play is and ability to bring others in to the game than what we currently have.
I fear he is probably going to need a few weeks to get back up to speed but hoping he shows the desire, movement and workrate he showed in the games before the injury. His little bit of guile upfront has been missed.

When all 3 are fit has to be James left, Martial central and Rashford on the right.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Got excited that the come back was announced. Thanks guys
Where has this been announced? I thought the news so far is that him and Shaw are still out with Pogba fit to play and Ole mentioned that he might get a few minutes against Rochedale

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Where has this been announced? I thought the news so far is that him and Shaw are still out with Pogba fit to play and Ole mentioned that he might get a few minutes against Rochedale
It's not that's the point :lol:

I assumed the thread bump would be good news, but just more misery on top of the rest.

K13

OGS in post match interview stated he expected Martial to be back for Arsenal and outside chance for tomorrow.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
As per what?
As per out of his arse, because now there's some noise that Martial is some kind of injury prone player when the past hasn't shown that to be true. He has had injuries, but nothing out of the ordinary for your typical professional player.

As per out of his arse, because now there's some noise that Martial is some kind of injury prone player when the past hasn't shown that to be true. He has had injuries, but nothing out of the ordinary for your typical professional player.
Yeah he's not, I've already provided his injury record in this thread x

dev1l

Souness said that on Sky. He said Something on the lines of they chose to rely on Martial, then he added whenever he s available.
He gave the impression that Martial is a crock imo

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Souness said that on Sky. He said Something on the lines of they chose to rely on Martial, then he added whenever he s available.
He gave the impression that Martial is a crock imo
Martial gets no love from the English pundits because he's taking some shine away from their boy Rashford who seems to be immune from criticism by the majority of them.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
OGS in post match interview stated he expected Martial to be back for Arsenal and outside chance for tomorrow.
Good to hear. I'd love to see him get a few minutes in the cup.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Martial gets no love from the English pundits because he's taking some shine away from their boy Rashford who seems to be immune from criticism by the majority of them.
Tinfoil hat stuff is getting ridiculous now.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Tinfoil hat stuff is getting ridiculous now.
Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean it's not actually happening. I'm being a bit tongue in cheek with my previous comment but there's definitely a discrepancy in how Martial and Rashford are covered by the English media when they're having good or bad games. It's not really that strange though, the media will usually be more interested in covering up for their countryman over a foreigner, just as they're more likely to go over the top with their praise. You don't get Rashford vs Mbappe conversations abroad like we had in English media.

RedCurry

I think Rashford and Martial make each other look better. Martial likes to roam and come short while Rashford likes to run behind. They also seem to understand each other’s short game.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I think Rashford and Martial make each other look better. Martial likes to roam and come short while Rashford likes to run behind. They also seem to understand each other’s short game.
I agree that both are better with another striker next to them. If we are to persist with one striker up-front though, there's no question it should be Martial when he returns. Rashford is too limited right now. All he has is pace and a right foot.

RedCurry

I agree that both are better with another striker next to them. If we are to persist with one striker up-front though, there's no question it should be Martial when he returns. Rashford is too limited right now. All he has is pace and a right foot.
Seems right. Martial has more tools to be a CF than Rashford so it seems.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Seems right. Martial has more tools to be a CF than Rashford so it seems.
Martial can shoot on his left foot, better hold-up, creativity, heading. I don't see anything Rashford is better than him at. More stamina & Free-kicks i guess but even those are dodgy.

dev1l

Martial can shoot on his left foot, better hold-up, creativity, heading. I don't see anything Rashford is better than him at. More stamina & Free-kicks i guess but even those are dodgy.
Motivation perhaps. Martial at times looked disinterested, not this season though. Since put in his favourite no 9 position he seems up to it again.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Motivation perhaps. Martial at times looked disinterested, not this season though. Since put in his favourite no 9 position he seems up to it again.
He was never trusted under Mourinho from the beginning, always played out of position. I think anyone would be disinterested under those circumstances. Stick Rashford on the bench for weeks on end and i'm sure he would lose motivation too.

He looked a different player this season though. Much more lively and focused up-front. He was back in his element again. Hopefully he can carry on where he left off because we desperately need him.

acnumber9

And yet they have remarkably similar levels of goals and assists. With Rashford’s being slightly better. And Rashford is almost two years younger than him.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What the feck are you talking about. Everyone is having a go at Rashford.
See my previous response to the exact same comment someone else made. It's 9 posts above yours.

And yet they have remarkably similar levels of goals and assists. With Rashford’s being slightly better. And Rashford is almost two years younger than him.
You're kind of missing the point, the statistics don't cover what he's mentioning in his comparison of the two. You actually have to use your eyes for that.

flappyjay

What the feck are you talking about. Everyone is having a go at Rashford.
From what I am reading and hearing from them is that Manchester United need to get a new no 9 because Rashford is not ready to lead the line. Basically Martial doesn't exist to them. It's either Rashford or bust

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
That's actually not true. Even if we base it on stats, Martial overall has a slightly better minutes per goal & assist (145 mins to 147 mins). The only benefit of Rashford being younger is because Martial has had his development stalled over 2 years because of Mourinho. He went from playing 2600 mins in the league under Van Gaal in 15/16 to averaging 1600 mins in the league the next 3 years, out of position and marginalised.

Rashford hasn't had the same negative development. His minutes and standing in the team have progressed with each season. He is stable and further along in his development. I believe you can remember the difference in treatment they got and still do?

Did you know that under Mourinho, Rashford played 18 more matches in the premier league alone compared to Martial? That's over 1000 minutes more. Martial remarkably still managed to outscore him too. Seems crazy huh?

Rashford's PL record under Mourinho:

100 matches, 22 Goals, 13 assists. (5849 mins)

Martial's PL record under Mourinho:

82 matches 23 goals, 14 assists. (4765 mins)

In 15/16 a 19 year old Martial carried us that season. Our plan solely revolved around giving the ball to Martial he was that good. I'm still waiting to see Rashford have that level of influence on us as a team yet.

I do think Rashford has high potential as an inside forward but I class Martial as the greater talent overall. He has a lot more attributes to his game which don't hinder us as an attacking unit like I explained in my post above.

Here are the overall stats for all interested:

Rashford record overall

48 goals 27 assists 175 matches 11,046 mins (147 mins per g/a)

Premier league:

30 goals 16 assists 117 matches 7,216 mins (157 mins per g/a)

Premier league record under Mourinho:

22 goals 13 assists 100 matches 5,849 mins (167 mins per g/a)

Martial record overall

50 goals 30 assists 177 matches 11,579 mins (145 mins per g/a)

Premier League:

36 goals 19 assists 116 matches 7,667 mins (139 mins per g/a)

Premier League record under Mourinho:

23 goals 14 assists 82 matches 4,765 mins (129 mins per g/a)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.