6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OL29

Think Ole's managing him perfectly. It might be frustrating for him to go off in the last fifteen mins but it's the right thing to do. Workrate has never been his strongest issue and it's okay as he has other great qualities.
Yeah I don't think his stamina is as good as James or Rashford either so it makes sense to take him off.

ManuMou

His goal deserves lot more recognition, it was such a fantastic goal. Build up play where he just spun City player and then both James and Martial had composure, instead of rushing into things they picked right options and finally scored.
Agree. I just watched his highlights more than five times. His first touch, close control and composure were very good. He wasn't afraid of taking on players. His little strength helped too. And the shot was very natural to him. Such as joy to watch. I was also very impressed with James' composure too and his little tricky pass. Really impressed with his overall decision-making so far. This guy can both cross and show early signs of nice little pass.

He is so important for the way we play, he drops deep and links up play well and most times he plays big part before releasing James to counter.
I think this is Ole's first choice attacking plan. Not only Martial's close control can unleash our wide forwards and Pogba, but also he can get past defenders occasionally, shoot and play some nice little trick in the box. Defenders' nightmare when plan is executed well. Quite different attacking plan compared to Jose's target man with Zlatan/Lukaku. He needs to stay fit and get a good run of games together with Rash/James/Pogba. I want to see if him, Pogba and hopefully Fred can be the key to break down smaller teams with their skills and creativity through the middle, creating more space for Rashford and James and our attacking plan might just work then. I can't see our fullbacks being the key to our attack at the moment. First thing first, Martial must stay fit to get a run of games IMO and build up more team chemistry.

Last edited:

flappyjay

I think we also forget that before this season he had played less than 10 games as a cf since his debut season. He is relearning how to play as a forward whilst contributing also its great that he has added his left foot into his arsenal

Greck

Not yet. The body language and attitude talks are still floating around. One game from him without scoring and we'll be back into full blown witch hunt. His detractors have been a bit quiet since the City game but they are just waiting for a slip up to take over this thread once again.
When you look at their production it's clear to see if he and Rashford never took the next leap they would still be quality squad players. No clue why they have mobs trying to hound them out. Totally irrational.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Think Ole's managing him perfectly. It might be frustrating for him to go off in the last fifteen mins but it's the right thing to do. Workrate has never been his strongest issue and it's okay as he has other great qualities.
I agree that he definitely doesn't have the endurance yet to play 90mins in our side currently - but at the same time he's the only player we have who can hold up the ball.
Almost every time Ole has substituted him to try and 'manage' our lead, there's no one who the defence/midfield can pass to while we transition from defence to attack - this has pretty much led us to conceding goals due to our inability to get out of our own half.

I think Greenwood will be able to do this role in the long term, but I can understand why we've been linked to experienced target men like Mandzukic in the short term.
For now it's up to Martial to improve his own endurance & fitness, it probably wont get to the level it needs to be at this season and if he keeps getting niggling injuries it will continue to hamper his progress too.

Obviously the most ideal situation would be to have a comfortable 3/4 goal lead in every game :angel:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
When you look at their production it's clear to see if he and Rashford never took the next leap they would still be quality squad players. No clue why they have mobs trying to hound them out. Totally irrational.
It's just the nature of this place. Our players get slating to ridiculous extends while same people are quick to overrate and defend opposition mediocre players. Be it Martial, Rashford, Pogba etc, these players attract unwarranted criticisms from some people on these boards which is quite bizarre. At least lately this place has gotten off Rashford back but 2 quiet games from him and they'll start slating him again.

jackal&hyde

I have a feeling his stamina isn't very good so he has to pace himself. Might be why Ole always subs him off.

He's definitely improved on that front this season though.
I'm thinking the same. People like to blame attitude and what not but he was out for a long time and he also is part of a front 3 that have insane levels of pace and stamina. Most players would look slow alongside James and Rashford.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Are we back to liking him? He and Rashford basically have to prove themselves all over again every other week
Shouldn't all players have to keep proving themselves week in, week out? I get what you're saying though and I've been one of AM's critics as I've felt there was so much more to come from him, he's way better than we've seen!

I think once you've had a few good seasons at a certain level then maybe you get a bit of credit in the bank but neither AM nor Rashford have done that so far. There's no doubt the last few weeks have been better for both players (most of the team actually) but, while I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts, I won't be getting carried away just yet. They both still have a lot to prove in my eyes.

DanClancy

It's just the nature of this place. Our players get slating to ridiculous extends while same people are quick to overrate and defend opposition mediocre players. Be it Martial, Rashford, Pogba etc, these players attract unwarranted criticisms from some people on these boards which is quite bizarre. At least lately this place has gotten off Rashford back but 2 quiet games from him and they'll start slating him again.
Martial & Pogba deserve all the stick they get. Rashford has been outstanding for 2 months and rightly so has been lauded. Martial isn't a young player any more, he's 24. When he shows the consistency Rashford has fans will get off his back, Pogba on the other hand is a disgrace.

sherrinford

Martial & Pogba deserve all the stick they get. Rashford has been outstanding for 2 months and rightly so has been lauded. Martial isn't a young player any more, he's 24. When he shows the consistency Rashford has fans will get off his back, Pogba on the other hand is a disgrace.
Rashford is certainly no more consistent. Though generally I would say the Liverpool game after the international break kicked off a run of good overall form for him (off the back of a very poor run of form which carried into this season from the Liverpool game last season), even just looking at his last four games he provided a great game against Man City and an outstanding performance against Tottenham off the back of two very poor games against Villa and Sheffield United.

Martial hasn’t had as high highs or as low lows. I think he’s been slightly steadier in his performances. Really though, neither have been consistent at all. James has been more reliable in that sense but is not as talented.

DanClancy

Rashford is certainly no more consistent. Though generally I would say the Liverpool game after the international break kicked off a run of good overall form for him (off the back of a very poor run of form which carried into this season from the Liverpool game last season), even just looking at his last four games he provided a great game against Man City and an outstanding performance against Tottenham off the back of two very poor games against Villa and Sheffield United.

Martial hasn’t had as high highs or as low lows. I think he’s been slightly steadier in his performances. Really though, neither have been consistent at all. James has been more reliable in that sense but is not as talented.
11 goals in 53 games in 16/17
13 goals in 52 games in 17/18
13 goals in 47 games in 18/19
9 goals in last 10 starts in 19/20

Doesn't take a genius to work out he's become a lot more consistent.

Martial is equally consistent when looked at over a whole season.

2015–16[93]Premier League3111
2016–17[94]Premier League254
2017–18[95]Premier League309
2018–19[96]Premier League2710
2019–20[97]Premier League104

Problem is both of them will go weeks without scoring and then hit a purple patch. We need them both to learn how to score scrappy goals and tap ins when they're out of form.

DoomSlayer

Martial is equally consistent when looked at over a whole season.

2015–16[93]Premier League3111
2016–17[94]Premier League254
2017–18[95]Premier League309
2018–19[96]Premier League2710
2019–20[97]Premier League104

Problem is both of them will go weeks without scoring and then hit a purple patch. We need them both to learn how to score scrappy goals and tap ins when they're out of form.
Minutes played is also a big factor and I'm saying this in both Rashford's and Martial's defence.

sherrinford

Not in his performances.

Andersons Dietician

Rashford has been outstanding and showed consistency for 2 months has he? Arguably I would say Martial has been pretty good all season. Doing all the things asked of him as a CF. Actually think him playing elevates what Rashford can do.

Team is still a massive work in progress and personally I think if we replaced the position Lingard and what’s his face takes up we’d probably see a further improvement from the likes of Rashford, Martial and probably James.

DanClancy

Rashford has been outstanding and showed consistency for 2 months has he? Arguably I would say Martial has been pretty good all season. Doing all the things asked of him as a CF. Actually think him playing elevates what Rashford can do.

Team is still a massive work in progress and personally I think if we replaced the position Lingard and what’s his face takes up we’d probably see a further improvement from the likes of Rashford, Martial and probably James.
Don't agree, he's had a mixed season but can do a lot better given his talent. Martial is 2 years older than Rashford and at 24 should be more consistent.

Shimo

How did you martial do against AZ? I could not watch. Anyone?
So so. First half was once again awful from the back, so hard for the forward line to be impactful. He did miss a really good chance laid on by Greenwood at 0-0. Then went off after our scoring spree.

meamth

So so. First half was once again awful from the back, so hard for the forward line to be impactful. He did miss a really good chance laid on by Greenwood at 0-0. Then went off after our scoring spree.
Probably pointless to play him more than 60 minutes.

Must start against Everton.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
Ok.
Since his return from injury, I think Martial has had 2 good games.
Is it fair to say that he has been average? Start of the season James was flying and now Rash is. But, will it be fair to say that Martial has been average?

I see a lot of people suggesting that he should be a fixed part of our front three for the future.

I also remember, after the Spurs game, one poster saying that Spurs was great but once Martial is back we will be much better.

I really wonder what the expectations from Martial are based on.

Is it fair to say he is the most dispensable part of the rash martial James trio?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ok.
Since his return from injury, I think Martial has had 2 good games.
Is it fair to say that he has been average? Start of the season James was flying and now Rash is. But, will it be fair to say that Martial has been average?

I see a lot of people suggesting that he should be a fixed part of our front three for the future.

I also remember, after the Spurs game, one poster saying that Spurs was great but once Martial is back we will be much better.

I really wonder what the expectations from Martial are based on.

Is it fair to say he is the most dispensable part of the rash martial James trio?
Or we just play with 2 strikers up front and have two right footed strikers competing for the left spot in martial & Rashford and potentially 2 left footed strikers competing for the right spot in Greenwood & someone else?

Martial can be improved upon but he is more than good enough for Manchester United because Anthony Martial is primarily a forward who is able to interlink the front line & create chances better than any striker can do currently in our squad and anyone who we are being linked with. He literally makes the front line fluid with his play that a poacher type striker will not always be able to do when not in form.

So he has a role for us in the future to. If we need a poacher and a header of the ball then so be it, then we possibly may need a better crosser of the ball on the left hand side as well etc.

Martial is a useful creative central striker.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Martial is like Nani. When he's on it, one of the best players in the league let alone our team. When he's not arsed, he might as well be on the bench.

This is something the club, Ole and Martial need to work on as a unit. Improving his consistency. Berbatov was the same.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Martial is like Nani. When he's on it, one of the best players in the league let alone our team. When he's not arsed, he might as well be on the bench.

This is something the club, Ole and Martial need to work on as a unit. Improving his consistency. Berbatov was the same.
Isn’t even Pogba the same to some degree?

youmeletsfly

You m8ght consider me a hater, but I really don't get the Martial hype. He's pretty average for a United no 9.

zenith

Did not make much sense to play him today, given his importance to the first team and his injury record

meamth

I think logical next step for him is to build his physique.

Rashford needs to teach him a thing or two about that..

DoomSlayer

Good thing he got some minutes to build up his fitness levels, but what was up with his reactions to getting substituted? He barely acknowledged Ole, who was trying to talk to him and encourage him, seemed as if someone ate his meal, for fecks sake. :houllier:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Good thing he got some minutes to build up his fitness levels, but what was up with his reactions to getting substituted? He barely acknowledged Ole, who was trying to talk to him and encourage him, seemed as if someone ate his meal, for fecks sake. :houllier:
Not to worry. That was Martials happy face.

Alabaster Codify7

I'll be honest man, I don't like him.
Pretty talented, but nowhere near as talented as he or his fanbase think he is. Also quite an unlikeable bloke. He comes across ridiculously aloof and miserable.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He really does have to prove himself every game doesn't he.

DoomSlayer

Pretty talented, but nowhere near as talented as he or his fanbase think he is. Also quite an unlikeable bloke. He comes across ridiculously aloof and miserable.
I'm basically part of Martial FC since he came and scored that amazing goal against Liverpool, but his demeanour does annoy me at times.

I don't know if he is pissed off for not playing the full 90 minutes or what, but he needs to realise that Ole is backing him and trying to make him a better striker, whilst also doing his best to rotate the squad and avoid injuries that we, unfortunately, regularly get hit by.

OL29

He just seems reserved, I find it a bit weird how much our fans obsess over his demeanour, you'd think people have never met a quiet person in the real world, it's not illegal.

Zoo

I thought he was fine last night pressing from the front and did a solid job for the pre-planned 60 minutes.

OL29

I'm basically part of Martial FC since he came and scored that amazing goal against Liverpool, but his demeanour does annoy me at times.

I don't know if he is pissed off for not playing the full 90 minutes or what, but he needs to realise that Ole is backing him and trying to make him a better striker, whilst also doing his best to rotate the squad and avoid injuries that we, unfortunately, regularly get hit by.
The thing is, on the other hand, you have people criticising him for looking like he doesn't want to play. Not a dig at you but it seems he can't win with our fans. Pogba's another one who's criticised for his character, being a bubbly, extroverted guy, some seem to think it shows a lack of professionalism. I just think fans would be better off focusing on actual performances rather than reading so much into a player's expressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.