6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomSlayer

The thing is, on the other hand, you have people criticising him for looking like he doesn't want to play. Not a dig at you but it seems he can't win with our fans. Pogba's another one who's criticised for his character, being a bubbly, extroverted guy, some seem to think it shows a lack of professionalism. I just think fans would be better off focusing on actual performances rather than reading so much into a player's expressions.
I'm not even talking about his actions during the game, it was the reaction to the substitution - Ole tried to go and praise him up close, he was in his ear and talking to him but Martial totally blanked, didn't look disinterested but actually pissed off at something. That's what irritated me, I will try and watch it back to see if I misjudged the situation but it was extremely weird to see when the sub was obviously done in mind for the Everton game.

meamth

The thing is, on the other hand, you have people criticising him for looking like he doesn't want to play. Not a dig at you but it seems he can't win with our fans. Pogba's another one who's criticised for his character, being a bubbly, extroverted guy, some seem to think it shows a lack of professionalism. I just think fans would be better off focusing on actual performances rather than reading so much into a player's expressions.
The only acceptable characteristics from our players in caf is to scream a lot pasyunnnn.

I'm not surprised reading those comments to be honest.

It's normal around here.

meamth

What makes you think he is blanking Ole??

Maybe he was frustrated not be able to score/disappointed with himself/annoyed he shot it over the moon/feels like he wants at least a goal/ whatever the feck he feels.

Or do you want him to act like Pep Guardiola and his players in front of the camera?

OL29

I'm not even talking about his actions during the game, it was the reaction to the substitution - Ole tried to go and praise him up close, he was in his ear and talking to him but Martial totally blanked, didn't look disinterested but actually pissed off at something. That's what irritated me, I will try and watch it back to see if I misjudged the situation but it was extremely weird to see when the sub was obviously done in mind for the Everton game.
I'm not sure really, he's looked a bit irritated to be subbed a few times this season but at least it shows he wants to play, and it should appease some of the passion merchants who go on about him being expressionless.

Lynty

I often look like that when being subbed off. Your annoyed at being subbed, annoyed at not scoring and the fatigue hits you as the adrenaline fades

OL29

The only acceptable characteristics from our players in caf is to scream a lot pasyunnnn.

I'm not surprised reading those comments to be honest.

It's normal around here.
Feels like our players get criticised for anything, no matter its relevance.

Zoo

I'm no body language expert but it looked like he stopped to give some words of encouragement to Chong (surprising but pleasing) then shook Ole's hand. It all seemed very mature to me.

DoomSlayer

I'm no body language expert but it looked like he stopped to give some words of encouragement to Chong (surprising but pleasing) then shook Ole's hand. It all seemed very mature to me.
Fair enough, I will watch it back, maybe I did misjudge the situation. I just thought Martial did his job in the game and was obvious that Ole wanted to protect him for the Everton game, you can't play 90 minutes every match without risking an injury and Martial already has had issues with that this season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Like I said last night,every game is a easy game for Martial.
That's why I like him and loathe him at times. :lol:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Some of you lots just can't wait to have a go at Martial it seems :lol:

If he hasn't played, it's the body language and attitude some people jump at, it just doesn't sit right with some people to just let things be. Right now is a perfect example of what i'm talking about, not much to talk about his performance then we jump to attacking his character, body language etc.

What makes you think he is blanking Ole??

Maybe he was frustrated not be able to score/disappointed with himself/annoyed he shot it over the moon/feels like he wants at least a goal/ whatever the feck he feels.

Or do you want him to act like Pep Guardiola and his players in front of the camera?
Exactly this. The man is a striker and obviously even if it's a lesser meaningful game compared to PL ones, he'd still be disappointed not scoring. He's not the first one to look annoyed in such circumstances, it happens all the time but somehow you always have people over scrutinizing these things trying to draw some negative conclusions out of them. This happens especially with players that have been targeted by a group of people online. They'll conjure up anything to be able to critisised said player and this particular case we're attitude and character are the tools used.

Feels like our players get criticised for anything, no matter its relevance.
This happens all the time especially if a player is being targeted by the Caf. Happened to Rashford, Pogba, Martial etc.

Last edited:

DoomSlayer

I'm a Martial fanboy, relax. If I got it wrong, it's my fault, it just didn't feel right to me at that moment.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I often look like that when being subbed off. Your annoyed at being subbed, annoyed at not scoring and the fatigue hits you as the adrenaline fades
I'd be way more annoyed if somebody can strolling off with a smile on their face high fiving everybody.

Nobody should ever enjoy being subbed off, as it means they never wanted to stay on. It was like Mbappe the other day, 87th minute and he was pissed as hell as he wanted to score another goal. Fantastic! give me that attitude any day.

Regarding Martial, I think it's fair to say he's a bit too relaxed and low level motivated to ever be a real flat track bully. But when he's in the mood he can be unstoppable. That's just what we have to put up with.

Devil may care

Decent 60 minutes for him in a team that wasn't fluid in the first half, Ole seems to be man managing him well.

Djemba-Djemba

Total non performance.

I don't want to hear Utd fans worrying what sort of impact signing another striker might have on Martial. Martial is wildly inconsistent and cannot be relied upon anyway. We desperately need more firepower.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Well he's a fecking statue, when he's scoring, it's fine, when he's not, watching him jog around when Rashford and James are putting yet another sprint around 80th minute is just infuriating.

If his movement was at least clever in the box, attacking the near post and all that, but he offers very little.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
For all the talk about how much better we'd be with him back in the team, he's been pretty fecking shite recently.
We're better with him in the team because Rashford has been able to play in his best position and it's really Rashford not Martial that's inspired our recent good form (although Rashford was even worse than Martial today)

acnumber9

Typical Martial. He’s never going to be a top centre forward because he can’t play when defenders try to make it difficult for him.

Hawks2008

"B-but we can't sign a striker what about martial?!!"

Thoroughly meh performance, I'm not surprised.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So annoying how he can go from being so good to so useless. So much talent but just not showing any progress to stay consistent and be a real #9. Rashford has kicked on this year. Martial hasn't. Should be worrying for his spot with Greenwood playing as he is, especially if we sign Haaland as well. Might make him kick on, or he might settle as a squad player (in which case I'd guess he'd leave). It's funny because I think he plays well in big games, it's all the others that he's probably the biggest culprit of not showing up.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Played well against city, so his next good game will be early January.

Such a bad performance. Get Haaland in January and give him some competition for his place.

HowYouDoin

Useless player. Greenwood has now comfortably surpassed him IMO. Not only a more talented player, striker, better eye for goal, better shot, movement, intelligence, better at everything. Greenwood has shown more improvement in the last 2 months than Martial in the 4 years that hes been with us. He is the same player that hes been under LVG, maybe just more lazy. Time to get rid of him and get two decent strikers as subs.
Greenwood can easily start over Martial despite his youth.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
What a surprise. Lets blame Martial instead of other players who ”loves” the club but are average players and cant get him the ball.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't understand what some people are watching out there, Martial was the only player of the front three that was actually trying to put things together for the offense, he was far better than Rashford or James today and should have had a penalty at the end, not to mention there's been at least a few times where he had dangerous runs completely ignored by the team.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think he's just one of those players who blows hot and cold and those type of individuals rarely make prominent starters in successful sides.

Raven

Useless player. Greenwood has now comfortably surpassed him IMO. Not only a more talented player, striker, better eye for goal, better shot, movement, intelligence, better at everything. Greenwood has shown more improvement in the last 2 months than Martial in the 4 years that hes been with us. He is the same player that hes been under LVG, maybe just more lazy. Time to get rid of him and get two decent strikers as subs.
Greenwood can easily start over Martial despite his youth.
Poo poo talk.

SteveW

I thought he was excellent. Linked play beautifully. Don't think he lost the ball once.

We didn't win so I'm sure he'll get slaughtered.

Status
Not open for further replies.