Player Agent: USFA Management
Current club:
Manchester United
Contract until: 30.06.2024
Contract option: Option for a further year
Date of last contract extension: Jan 31, 2019
Outfitter: Nike​

Ace of Spades

At least he was working hard in pressing. We can't have passengers if we want to be a pressing team.

SteveW

Looked pretty sharp. Tried to run in behind and chased down defenders a few times. Seems up for it.

Dante

Average bang
I think it's telling that Lukaku seems more likely to leave than Sanchez. And that we're targetting Longstaff for midfield, having already bought James and promoted Greenwood. All the attackers we want to keep are effective at pressing from the front.

That's also the reason why Rashford/Lingard get so much love from Ole.

Which brings me on to Martial. I'm really hopeful he can kick on like Shaw did a couple of seasons ago. If only he could add closing-down to his game, he'd be nailed on as a starter. If he can't, I see him losing his place to one of the kids.

Unless the plan is to have Martial and Rashford rotate as the CF, with Solksjaer hoping to use them as runners in behind. That'll require just as much stamina as high-pressing, but probably a bit less defensive awareness. We'll see.

He did ok today. Nothing more or less.

witchtrials

I'd like to see Martial take on his man immediately. Seems to me he tends to receive the ball, bring things to a halt and then try beat his full back from a standing start - maybe takes a bit of sting out of attacks sometimes. It'd be good to see if it'd work for him to beat the defender with his first touch more often.

Andersons Dietician

Thought he was actually really good today. Made a lot of runs, offered for the ball a lot and he linked up play very well. Few times he peeled off in to space with a brilliant run and shock surprise Lingard was the man on the ball and couldn’t/ wouldn’t execute a simple pass to put Martial through for what would have been an easy chance.

Don’t know why people are mentioning needs to improve his closing down, of course he can improve but he was closing down and hustling people in to mistakes. Pressing is as much about blocking passing options as it is about getting in peoples faces and he did that very well.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
His movement off the ball is still so poor. If he does make a run it’s really basic. Wonderful with the ball at his feet, a waste of space without it.

Decomposing In Paris

Delighted to see him playing a little more centrally. Rashford may be the first choice CF heading into the season, but Martial will get and take chances if we play him closer to goal. I don't know if it'll be enough to get us where we want to be, but if we rotate those two depending on form, I think they'll get more than 40 goals this season between them.

Stacks

Delighted to see him playing a little more centrally. Rashford may be the first choice CF heading into the season, but Martial will get and take chances if we play him closer to goal. I don't know if it'll be enough to get us where we want to be, but if we rotate those two depending on form, I think they'll get more than 40 goals this season between them.
Nothing more than blind faith

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hence why he is a wide player not a 9. Ever heard of a prolific 9 that was static
Agreed. I don't know why there is this clamber for him to play as a striker.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Thought he played the CF role better that Rashford today in the weaker team. Linked up play better, and was a focal point. Bar Lukaku all our other strikers struggle with movement in the box , so we always lack threat there. Think Greenwood seems to have the best knack for it.

R'hllor

I like Martial, there are plenty of negatives in his game that you can shit on, there are positives too. There wont be balanced opinions about him in here, partly due him being used as beating stick vs previous manager and that wont be forgiven by some. Last summer the amount of drivel was posted here against him was something else alright.

Stacks

I like Martial, there are plenty of negatives in his game that you can shit on, there are positives too. There wont be balanced opinions about him in here, partly due him being used as beating stick vs previous manager and that wont be forgiven by some. Last summer the amount of drivel was posted here against him was something else alright.
Also the perceived performance to gain new contract then drop off again.....

Decomposing In Paris

Donald Trump is the President of the United States of America... but the real problem is Anthony Martial's form in the second half of last season.

Coops73

He’s a bit of an anomaly for me, played ok today, moved more in those 45 than in the last season. There’s a talent there, how and where we harness it, who knows.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I hope he grows up on the pitch and realise his career is too short to be insecure and weird around the pitch, if he'll just give his all every game and keep it moving he'll be class.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I hope he grows up on the pitch and realise his career is too short to be insecure and weird around the pitch, if he'll just give his all every game and keep it moving he'll be class.
Substandard. And that is being incredibly generous to the miserable sullen young man.
You are right he does need to grow up and at the same time grow into the talented player he could be.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Short passing is a bit of a cause for concern for me, he's so talented but I couldn't trust him to lay off a 2 yard pass to Mata when he's dribbling.

Hopefully he sharpens up this pre-season.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yep. His lack of movement would be an even bigger problem up front.
He has hardly played or trained for that position since he came here though, surely he is allowed some time to adapt and find his role if that is finally decided to be a striker. If he can adapt then he'll score a lot of goals, thats for sure. His close ball control and finishing could be utilised inside the box. I often feel his movement is lacking but maybe in a more constricted role he'll be able to take up a few standard positions which might work very well for him.

I always felt he is the sort of player that can do the same thing correctly 50 times in a row but as soon as he is challenged with more tasks at his hands and more thoughts in his head, it all gets a bit blurred out for him and he reacts badly to it, and aren't able to adjust. We need our coaches to find the right key to unlock his potential for us to get the most out of him, I don't trust Martial to do it on his own. He just has to to hit some sort of sustainable form for us if we're to do something fun this season.

RuudTom83

He’s is still only 23, easy to forget how young some of these United lads are.

I don't know how to unlock his potential but time is on his side.

el3mel

It won't be. If he fails there then it gets changed to blaming everyone around him and then morphs into needing to play him on the left. It will be a cycle like Rooney's last few years.
Yep. People will never run out of excuses for him. Next it will be he's isolated up front, needs a number 10 next to him, needs better passing, needs more movement around him, the rest of the team were crap, he should be 9.5 instead of direct 9..etc.

Plenty of excuses left.

Patrick08

Off the ball = static.
On the ball = flowing.
If he under performs this season, we'd be better off selling him to a Posession based teams like Bayern who I think play the style of football more dependent on positioning and Ball skills than Movement.

Litch

I like him but he worries me as I still don't think he's consistent enough to lead the line. I feel exactly the same about Rashford and I wonder where the goals are going to come from if Pogs and Rom leaves. That's our two leading goal scorers.....

Posh Red

Yep. People will never run out of excuses for him. Next it will be he's isolated up front, needs a number 10 next to him, needs better passing, needs more movement around him, the rest of the team were crap, he should be 9.5 instead of direct 9..etc.

Plenty of excuses left.
You really hate him don’t you :lol:

Dazzmondo

Should never play striker ever. Has always had poor off the ball movement and that's one of the most difficult things to teach a player. Normally they either have it or they don't. Martial doesn't. He's a top finisher, a top dribbler and can be lethal when played in his favoured position on the left wing. If Ole plays him at lw for pretty much the entire season I predict we'll see extremely impressive numbers (he's been among the best in the entire league in terms of both goals and assists per minute over the last couple seasons). If he just continues taking him out of the team and messing around with his position like last season we'll just see more of the same stalled development.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think he can perform equally well both on the left or up front, but might just be a streaky, inconsistent player... Not sure if he'll ever make the step up or find that consistency though. I dont think his attitude is a problem, as even Mourinho who hated everyone still actually liked him, trusted him in bigger games and would give him longer stretches of starts when he was on it. Think he'd be too harsh with dropping him though.

I do get a feeling that Martial will have a good year though. We'll see how well exactly, but definitely think he can get 20 goals in all competitions and 10+ assists. Same with Rashford. Both will be relied upon as our main attackers/scorers, so I think both can get those totals for sure. We'll see though.

el3mel

You really hate him don’t you :lol:
No I hate the myths and the over the top excuses for some of our players when our performance have been terrible for years and acting like some of these players aren't to be blamed for that unlike others and that these players problem are only in their teammates while the reality is all the players have major problem and that's why we are 6th and shite. Absolving some of the players of the blame is weird.

Also people keep saying myths about him being our best number 9 while all his best games with us were on the left which is something I don't get. They barely watched him play in such position but it's apparently his best position whenever he has a poor game on the left. It's really an over the top excuse.

Yesterday several times James got the ball on the left to make a ground cross and guess what, there was absolutely no one cutting inside on the near corner or getting into position in the box to provide targets for James for the ball, why? Because his off ball movement is way too poor to play such position which needs a player with ability to move on instinct and knows where to position himself into the box to be a target for passes and crosses, while Martial has only proven to be good while having the ball in his feet.

Martial is a good (not great but good) as a left forward who cuts inside and takes on his full back. Even in this position he will still have the flaw of not being able to rub behind full backs but claiming his poor off ball movement will be masked in striker position is weird. It will get more exposed because he won't be getting into good positions to score poacher goals.

Posh Red

No I hate the myths and the over the top excuses for some of our players when our performance have been terrible for years and acting like some of these players aren't to be blamed for that unlike others and that these players problem are only in their teammates while the reality is all the players have major problem and that's why we are 6th and shite. Absolving some of the players of the blame is weird.

Also people keep saying myths about him being our best number 9 while all his best games with us were on the left which is something I don't get. They barely watched him play in such position but it's apparently his best position whenever he has a poor game on the left. It's really an over the top excuse.

Yesterday several times James got the ball on the left to make a ground cross and guess what, there was absolutely no one cutting inside on the near corner or getting into position in the box to provide targets for James for the ball, why? Because his off ball movement is way too poor to play such position which needs a player with ability to move on instinct and knows where to position himself into the box to be a target for passes and crosses, while Martial has only proven to be good while having the ball in his feet.

Martial is a good (not great but good) as a left forward who cuts inside and takes on his full back. Even in this position he will still have the flaw of not being able to rub behind full backs but claiming his poor off ball movement will be masked in striker position is weird. It will get more exposed because he won't be getting into good positions to score poacher goals.
The agenda is pretty clear mate. His weak off the ball movement is being hugely exaggerated. He’s scored many goals running off the ball in behind; Southampton, Wolfsburg, West Ham, Middlesbrough, Tottenham etc. Also, good ‘movement’ is more than just running off the last defender. Martial is excellent at finding space in the box, and also finds himself unmarked at the back post to tap in regularly. He also holds the line well. You don’t need to take my word for it. Just go and watch all of his goals and it’s easy enough to see. I’ll accept that he’s not as energetic or industrious as someone like Rashford, but as I said it’s being hugely exaggerated.

I rarely see you saying anything particularly positive about him, and I’m pretty sure other posters have mentioned similar regarding your posts in respect of Martial. Which is bizarre given he is one of our most productive players when he features, if not THE most productive for decent periods of time.

el3mel

The agenda is pretty clear mate. His weak off the ball movement is being hugely exaggerated. He’s scored many goals running off the ball in behind; Southampton, Wolfsburg, West Ham, Middlesbrough, Tottenham etc. Also, good ‘movement’ is more than just running off the last defender. Martial is excellent at finding space in the box, and also finds himself unmarked at the back post to tap in regularly. He also holds the line well. You don’t need to take my word for it. Just go and watch all of his goals and it’s easy enough to see. I’ll accept that he’s not as energetic or industrious as someone like Rashford, but as I said it’s being hugely exaggerated.

I rarely see you saying anything particularly positive about him, and I’m pretty sure other posters have mentioned similar regarding your posts in respect of Martial. Which is bizarre given he is one of our most productive players when he features, if not THE most productive for decent periods of time.
It's definitely not hugely exaggerated when there are loads seeing and talking about it here regularly. Maybe you're the one underestimating how non existent his movement is when he doesn't have the ball and how he's mostly efficient only with the ball in his feet while without it he's either standing still or walking aimlessly on the pitch.

For the last paragraph, big meh for me. The moment I start caring about what people think of my opinions so I have to modify them there will be no point posting on the internet anymore. I have been labelled an agenda driven in several other players threads before, Lingard, Fred ..etc because their "fans" can't take the reality their player is very flawed and is criticized, so those who criticize them regularly must be having an agenda against them, as if he took my place in the team or something so I have an agenda against him :lol: so no difference here, don't care much. I'll say my opinion about our players positive or negative regardless of you and other think. For those who don't like it, ignore is always an option, and I'm using it alot myself anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.