Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure why are you comparing both players. Firmino isn’t exactly the goal scorer. He likes to drop deep to provide his two wingers more space, create chances, & involve in the build up. They call it false 9. Martial is more of a goal scorer. You need to find a better & fair comparison.
Martial has literally played as a winger for most of his time here, while Firmino has played centre forward. I don’t think categorising any of them as simply goalscorers is fair.

redIndianDevil

Not sure why are you comparing both players. Firmino isn’t exactly the goal scorer. He likes to drop deep to provide his two wingers more space, create chances, & involve in the build up. They call it false 9. Martial is more of a goal scorer. You need to find a better & fair comparison.
I don't think Firmino drops that deep, Liverpool play a very high line, he presses a lot and makes good off the ball runs.

Swiss_Red89

Already any news on the injury or do we have to wait for the presser tomorrow as usual?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Already any news on the injury or do we have to wait for the presser tomorrow as usual?
ManUtd.com didn't mention his name on injury list. Mentioned Pogba, Lingard and AWB, said Ole might give update tomorrow.

On Martial they mentioned
Luke Shaw has been out of action since suffering a hamstring injury during the recent Premier League match against Crystal Palace on 24 August. Anthony Martial also picked up a knock in the closing stages of that game at Old Trafford.

Both Reds missed the outing at Southampton, but Ole suggested before the 1-1 draw that the pair may return soon. “After the international break, hopefully Anthony will be ready for the Leicester game,” said Ole. “And Luke maybe another week or two after that.”

Bwuk

Absolutely loved his debut goal. Barely anyone on here had heard of him, or seen him play.

First season Martial was so exciting.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Absolutely loved his debut goal. Barely anyone on here had heard of him, or seen him play.

First season Martial was so exciting.
Yep, was really excited.

I've seen some of that excitement back with him this year which is nice, hopefully this injury won't have taken that edge off he had from pre season.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
His injuries always start small then they drag on. Even last year some injuries that looked like knocks started turning into big ones where when he's expected to come back the next game he'll still be out and the next thing you know he's out for 3-4 weeks.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What even happened to him? Did he even go off in the Palace game?

Raven

I wouldn't be surprised if Pogba and Martial are ready to play tomorrow, as Ole said Pogba was back training and then went back on it in his latest presser. I think he doesn't want to risk them with Arsenal next week.

AshRK

It's strange how mount got injured from a nasty tackle this Tuesday and is rumored to be in the squad today but Martial and Pogba are still not back after a knock.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We hardly look any better with him there too, don't get your hopes up.
As a team, yeah. I'm not expecting him to singlehandedly turn things around.

Still, as an individual, he has a class about his style of play that no one else in our team has. I just love watching him play.

C'est Moi Cantona

God, I miss watching him play
You only miss him because he's not there, same as everyone think Gomes was suddenly going to transform us because he wasn't playing against Palace.

Reality is neither would have altered either result, the issues are so much deeper.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As a team, yeah. I'm not expecting him to singlehandedly turn things around.

Still, as an individual, he has a class about his style of play that no one else in our team has. I just love watching him play.
Agreed. He's far better than anyone who started today in attack.

However no individual will quick fix this. We need some proper coaching.

KennyBurner

You only miss him because he's not there, same as everyone think Gomes was suddenly going to transform us because he wasn't playing against Palace.

Reality is neither would have altered either result, the issues are so much deeper.
Martial definitely would have created a few chances or caused a penalty. That would have changed the dynamic of the whole game. He also creates space for other which would have seen improvements from James and pereira. I don’t know why we would miss Gomes either when we haven’t seen enough of him in a United shirt. Martial on the other hand could have given us a draw or the win.

K13

Martial definitely would have created a few chances or caused a penalty. That would have changed the dynamic of the whole game. He also creates space for other which would have seen improvements from James and pereira. I don’t know why we would miss Gomes either when we haven’t seen enough of him in a United shirt. Martial on the other hand could have given us a draw or the win.
Agreed - just by virtue of his ability to hold the ball up to wait for the cavalry to arrive.

He would have got across the defender to score from 2 of those crosses today.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Well I'm not going to miss him if he is there! :p

As I said above, I'm not saying he'd singlehandedly turn things around; I just love watching him play football and miss seeing him do so.
Agreed. He's far better than anyone who started today in attack.

However no individual will quick fix this. We need some proper coaching.
Definitely! I can't believe that, post Fergie, we've hired 4 managers and none of them have prioritised coaching a cohesive style of play.

To be fair, van Gaal attempted to do so but his methods were outdated. The other three have all been reactive coaches who seem to prioritise negating our opponents style instead of inflicting our style on them.

Stadjer

Martial is so much better as Rashford as CF. Ofcourse he will still play shit when he plays but i doubt any striker would be good in this team. This team might even be able to make Messi look like amateur footballer.

Martial is a better finisher, has much better control over the ball and his hold up play is also a lot better. He also seemed to work hard and run a lot at the beginning of the season. Cant wait for Martial to replace Rashford as CF again and have Rashford compete with James for the left wing spot.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

As I said above, I'm not saying he'd singlehandedly turn things around; I just love watching him play football and miss seeing him do so.

Definitely! I can't believe that, post Fergie, we've hired 4 managers and none of them have prioritised coaching a cohesive style of play.

To be fair, van Gaal attempted to do so but his methods were outdated. The other three have all been reactive coaches who seem to prioritise negating our opponents style instead of inflicting our style on them.
They probably have, but we're suitable to fix the problems.

Moyes was inept.

LVG and Mourinho past their primes. LVG the right kind of manager but over the hill. Mourinho the wrong kind of manager but also over the hill.

Ole - seems to be a case like Moyes.

Yagami

Good post resistant
They probably have, but we're suitable to fix the problems.

Moyes was inept.

LVG and Mourinho past their primes. LVG the right kind of manager but over the hill. Mourinho the wrong kind of manager but also over the hill.

Ole - seems to be a case like Moyes.
yeah, maybe!

I still wish that instead of José, we would've hired a more progressive manager to build on what van Gaal was attempting to do instead of scrapping all his work in getting us to become a more possession based side, going the complete opposite direction, thus setting us further back in terms of developing our style of pla y, but I digress

C'est Moi Cantona

Agree he's nice to watch at times, but let's not forget this is the same Martial who has frustrated the life out most people on here for the last two seasons, yes he's great in short bursts, and is as talented as we've got, but he's not going to change much for us when he comes back.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Why hasn't the club given a definitive time stamp for his injury(as well as Pogba and Shaw) instead of these weekly updates where we keep finding out they're all still out.

Can't our medical team assess extents of players injuries now?

I'll seriously be annoyed if I hear again the all of him, Pogba and Shaw are out for the game against Arsenal. It's already been over a month since they got injured and we still aren't given any estimate of how long they'd be out for.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Agree he's nice to watch at times, but let's not forget this is the same Martial who has frustrated the life out most people on here for the last two seasons, yes he's great in short bursts, and is as talented as we've got, but he's not going to change much for us when he comes back.
Yeah, I don't think anyone is pinning their hopes on him singlehandedly turning things around. And, even as a huge fan of his, you can't deny his consistency problems, which is one of the main reasons (along with Rashford's consistency problems) I thought we were crazy to let Lukak and Alexis go without bringing in a proven forward to compliment them.

Still, regardless of all that, I can't wait to see him playing for us again even if I do think he'll struggle due to our poor style/tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.