Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Granted that our midfield is useless, he wasn't good enough today. Though the same could be said about his attacking partners.

littleman

No one talks about the win-rate we had with and without Martial now.

Weeks ago, before he returned, he was the 2nd coming of jesus.

Total silence now.

Qualified statements (if only we helped him grow bla bla bla).

Astro turfers aside, you guys really have low expectations for MUFC players -- not least the ones on 200k+

Fosu-Mens

Played decently. Far from our worst performer, actually he seems to gradually develop into his role as a striker. I've seen some things from him that I wasn't sure he had in his locker. I think he'll develop nicely in this position from here on out. I don't see any reason to be negative towards him right now. Needs to get in the box during crosses, but it's hard because he is both the creator and the finisher in this setup.
True true. Difficult working conditions when the rest of the team is set up for only countering.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This isn't true at all as he turned it on in the second half and created lots of chances by himself.
Exactly - I don't care what they call anyone who disagree's with their opinion but this is pure biased.

He had a game where he was trying to be involved both attacking wise and defensive wise but couldn't score a goal.

Couldn't care less if there is competition or not - but just licking the armpits of some random guy on MUTV about Martial is really weird. He is good enough to be a player at United - if not for the first 11 ( which he is until we have 11 top quality players - which we don't yet, then atleast the top 15).

How any one could argue against that was weird.

Pressed their defence well, made runs, tried playing one twos, tried to dribble, took long range shots, missed a short range shot. A game at the level of the rest of the squad and the current coach.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
When is he going to become the player redcafe has been telling me he is for 4 years?

If Rashford was French and Martial was English, they would be seen very differently on here. That is a fact. Even when he's not in the game at all, Rashford can still pop up with something. He never stops. You just can't say that for Martial. I really want him to succeed but when he's not on it he's completely ineffective.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
When is he going to become the player redcafe has been telling me he is for 4 years?

If Rashford was French and Martial was English, they would be seen very differently on here. That is a fact. Even when he's not in the game at all, Rashford can still pop up with something. He never stops. You just can't say that for Martial. I really want him to succeed but when he's not on it he's completely ineffective.
Hes got all the potential in the world, but to me it seems he lacks that mental edge and drive that all the greatest players have.

lsd

The Oracle
I would get rid in the summer if we get a decent offer . His attitude is disgraceful his movement non existent and he has no strikers instinct at all.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Can't believe that fecking Leicester has a better striker than Manchester United.
fecking. unbelievable.

Asger

Granted that our midfield is useless, he wasn't good enough today. Though the same could be said about his attacking partners.
None of them is good enough to be starters every week.

Irwin99

Goes missing too often, lights up the game for five minutes like he did today and then disappears again. I KNOW that are midfield is shite and you're not going to have the best of times if you're a striker at this club at the moment but at least you see Rashford and James are always working to try and force something to happen. He just goes missing too often.

It's a strange one. We're undoubtedly worse without him in the team but I think we can do so much better bringing in a new striker. To be honest, i wouldn't even play him on the left now that Rashford has that spot again.

He'sRaldo

His general play was good in the 2nd half today. Should have scored but the angle was really hard for that "easy" chance.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I would get rid in the summer if we get a decent offer . His attitude is disgraceful his movement non existent and he has no strikers instinct at all.
Nobody will take him.

He is on 200k a week.

Stuck with him.

OL29

He is the most inconsistent player in our squad, no way he can be first choice striker with attitude like his.
He doesn’t give a shit. Which is why when things are going well for him he’ll look great and when it’s not he’s worse than having nobody there.
Why does everything come down to attitude with Martial? Why can’t he just be allowed to have bad games or be out of form, he obviously tried to day he just lacked quality.

NoPace

This is nothing more than shite talk. Getting rid of Martial instantly weakens us, never mind the bargain basement replacement you have in mind.
I would say today was another day where a less talented striker with a genuine hunger to get in the box and find tap ins and headers would have probably won us the game with James' beating his man repeatedly down the wing and getting balls into the 6 yard box.

spiriticon

This mofo is a yard out and he tries to fecking chip the goalie.

I just can't deal with this sort of clever play.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The only player in our squad that is capable of being a one man attack. Just a shame he decides to do so once every 5 games

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hes got all the potential in the world, but to me it seems he lacks that mental edge and drive that all the greatest players have.
It's been "He's gonna be class one day" for about 4 years now. I don't think he's got what it takes to be a consistent goalscorer.

For a striker it's hard playing without a midfield.
Aubamayang manages it, from the left too.

Bebestation

I would say today was another day where a less talented striker with a genuine hunger to get in the box and find tap ins and headers would have probably won us the game with James' beating his man repeatedly down the wing and getting balls into the 6 yard box.
But why is Martial not getting in to the box being linked to his mentality?

That seems like a poor understanding of football where every striker has to be this one type of striker who plays this generic type of football where they get in to the box and scores tap ins due to hunger.

Plenty of fans here who watch United here has said that Martial has reminded people most of a player like Firmino who creates spaces and chances in a central deeper position whilst making short passes wider before making runs forwards like Martial does after playing through balls. I'm no way saying that Martial is as good as Firmino but neither do I think Firmino plays like Haaland & scores tap ins consistently for Liverpool as their main attacker due to hunger either, that comes from their wider players like Mane & Salah - whilst arguably playing for the best coached team in the world for the last 2 years.

The players are poor, some are being played out of position, tactics are poor, formations are poor, players are super young or excessively old, the coaching is absolutely horrendous - we need quality all over and whether that comes with other strikers or not - because I want that, Martial is easily one of the better players at United & it confuses me why people act like he will find himself in another league or something after being not deemed good enough for United. We can play more than one striker in a formation you know - especially considering that Martial to many is an incredibly creative one that is being poorly utilised.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not at the races today, but while it's hard to do, we need to remember we looked utterly bereft of anything when he was out.

acnumber9

Why does everything come down to attitude with Martial? Why can’t he just be allowed to have bad games or be out of form, he obviously tried to day he just lacked quality.
Because we’ve regularly seen him not really giving a shit. He’s a known sulker.

El Zoido

Just not good enough to be a leading striker. He has his moments but he doesn’t have the strikers instinct. No team is ever going to be top tier with this guy leading their line.

Bebestation

Just not good enough to be a leading striker. He has his moments but he doesn’t have the strikers instinct. No team is ever going to be top tier with this guy leading their line.
Does Firmino have a strikers instinct or does Liverpool's main attacking instinct come from the wider players whilst Firmino is more a creator of a chances but also adding in good goal scoring numbers?

redIndianDevil

Average game from him. Still he could have scored one if Rashford had some awareness and passed it to Martial instead of trying to chip the keeper

El Zoido

Does Firmino have a strikers instinct or does Liverpool's main attacking instinct come from the wider players whilst Firmino is more a creator of a chances but also adding in good goal scoring numbers?
Firmino is more intelligent in front of goal, but I really don’t see it as a direct comparison.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So he may not cut out to be a proper CF, as playing behind one yeah probably. Too many times he hangs around the edge of the box when a ball is played inside the box. A true natural striker would bust a gut and throw himself to score.

NoPace

But why is Martial not getting in to the box being linked to his mentality?

That seems like a poor understanding of football where every striker has to be this one type of striker who plays this generic type of football where they get in to the box and scores tap ins due to hunger.

Plenty of fans here who watch United here has said that Martial has reminded people most of a player like Firmino who creates spaces and chances in a central deeper position whilst making short passes wider before making runs forwards like Martial does after playing through balls. I'm no way saying that Martial is as good as Firmino but neither do I think Firmino plays like Haaland & scores tap ins consistently for Liverpool as their main attacker due to hunger either, that comes from their wider players like Mane & Salah - whilst arguably playing for the best coached team in the world for the last 2 years.

The players are poor, some are being played out of position, tactics are poor, formations are poor, players are super young or excessively old, the coaching is absolutely horrendous - we need quality all over and whether that comes with other strikers or not - because I want that, Martial is easily one of the better players at United & it confuses me why people act like he will find himself in another league or something after being not deemed good enough for United. We can play more than one striker in a formation you know - especially considering that Martial to many is an incredibly creative one that is being poorly utilised.
1. I'm not sure why people compare Martial to Firmino because both players drop deep rather than run in behind, since that's where the similarities end. Firmino is an alert, defensively strong #10 who's playing as a striker. He's a proper false 9. Martial is a very talented but fairly disinterested striker who nobody would ever play in midfield. If we want the next Firmino I think that's more likely to be someone like James Maddison or Jota at Wolves who are both far more involved in the play than Martial, who doesn't do much work out there defensively or even off the ball (look at the difference between Mata's runs in behind today and Martial's). If Martial is going to be great it's going to be using his speed to run at defenders, not suddenly turning into a complete footballer like Firmino.

2. You're right that with the right setup Martial could be an excellent forward and maybe if we bought 2 or 3 midfielders and got the right manager we could get the best out of him, but I think it's just as likely Martial is to us what Coutinho was to Liverpool and selling him and using the funds to buy a couple midfielders for 40 or 50M would improve us.

3. At the minute I'd bet on Pogba leaving this summer and we're down to 0 midfielders with the skill to get a lazy but talented player like Martial the ball, and arguably only one or two defenders. We're miles away.

4. If we were a good team, we'd have a striker rotating with Martial, one who's probably good in the air and a poacher in the box so that we could play Martial in certain games where we expect a higher line and this other striker in games where there's not much space in behind. Could even play both together with Rashford and James as wingers with 2 midfielders (since we don't really have a #10 anyways) from Pogba, Fred and McTominay holding when we wanted to push things.

Classical Mechanic

Firmino covers about the same distance as a midfielder in a match, 11.5km per 90 last season, and is the hardest working forward in the league.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/stats-show-roberto-firmino-hardest-working-forward-pl/

Very different player to Martial.

Bebestation

Firmino covers about the same distance as a midfielder in a match, 11.5km per 90 last season, and is the hardest working forward in the league.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/stats-show-roberto-firmino-hardest-working-forward-pl/

Very different player to Martial.
And you think I don't understand that? Klopp has Liverpool as a club as one of the hardest and most coordinated teams in the world at the moment so it it's no surprise to me that a hard working player like Firmino is doing well for them, whilst he is also creative and has a good technical ability.

Yet lets not pretend that Firmino is a perfect player & he has defects in his individual game which is being covered by a manger who knows how to get the best out of him as an individual aswell as the rest of his team around him.

The fact that Firmino works hard for Liverpool as a false 9 doesn't suddenly make Martial not a false 9.

He might not be a false 9 good enough for the tactics of Liverpool, but just because of that let's not pretend he can't play false 9 for the tactics of a club playing possession football, counter attacking football, ultra attacking football, pressing football or whatever.

My point of view is - it's clear that our club & manager currently put the players out with a very basic understanding of getting the best out of the players.

Whilst some fans will continue to shoot down our BEST players as a cause of our problems, I see the problem much more because of the poor players we have but even more a severe lack of tactics or what LVG called a tactical philosophy that the club should be building an understanding towards.

People making utter rubbish post's about selling Martial this summer if they could - I assume in thee expectations of getting a striker like Haaland which is great - but again an injury away from the same situation we found ourselves for the first quarter of the season - utterly lost due to losing one of the better players we have.

Martial is as good as Nani & just because he isn't Cristiano Ronaldo or Rooney doesn't mean he is useless - I just don't understand what reality some fans live in.

People are crying about herrera, Blind, Fellaini & now people want Martial to leave also - what delusion is that. The guy is good enough to be a starter striker in partnership with a striker like Haaland, the player is arguably the best false 9 player we have have at the club & personally I see the guy dropping down deeper to CAM under the right tactic & manager, he is the current best ST and better than Rashford & good enough to be number 2 if we do actually get someone better.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's played well this season but needs to show more intensity and agression to be a long term number 9.

Hawks2008

Bust the bank for Haaland in January we need an actually good striker because Martial is never going to become the player we need him to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.