Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Exactly - I don't care what they call anyone who disagree's with their opinion but this is pure biased.

He had a game where he was trying to be involved both attacking wise and defensive wise but couldn't score a goal.

Couldn't care less if there is competition or not - but just licking the armpits of some random guy on MUTV about Martial is really weird. He is good enough to be a player at United - if not for the first 11 ( which he is until we have 11 top quality players - which we don't yet, then atleast the top 15).

How any one could argue against that was weird.

Pressed their defence well, made runs, tried playing one twos, tried to dribble, took long range shots, missed a short range shot. A game at the level of the rest of the squad and the current coach.
A better player worthy of 200k/week and worthy of being a Manchester United main Striker would buzz around like a bee, shows passion and pride, be all over the place, track back, press harder, taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Players like Giggs/Beckham/Keane/Robson has a certain kind of cocky pride, they refuse to be outplayed by fecking Aston Villa at home, no way they're gonna let them run a ring around us.

We're not even going down fighting.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
He reminds me a bit of Morata in that he's clearly talented and knows how to play football but struggles with application on a regular basis. Morata is now (finally) becoming more consistent, however it's taken him 4 club moves to achieve this level of consistency. I guess something similar will happen with Martial. (i.e. it's going to take him a few years - so either we endure him until then or somebody else reaps the benefits.)

EireRed_GS

Wrote this on another thread earlier there about Tony, - Felt like going down and slapping the lad at half time..

Martial's first half performance yesterday vs villa drove me absolutely mental..

He just wasnt bothered. At one point when we had the ball on the attack he stood at the D at edge of box, our MF was looking for runners, people moving, something to give them an option, & Martial was just stood there. took a step to his right , one to his left. Barely moved. All during this time, Juan Mata (Whos legs are gone) made about 4 zig zag runs from one side of the D to the other right past Tony. All during this time Martial didnt move a muscle and the ball eventually was played through to no one. I was behind the goal screaming at him. When he cant be bothered like that we might aswell have 10 men on.

He sorted himself out in the 2nd half and started moving a bit then. Shocking attitude overall.

And did he walk straight down the tunnel after beign subbed too??

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A better player worthy of 200k/week and worthy of being a Manchester United main Striker would buzz around like a bee, shows passion and pride, be all over the place, track back, press harder, taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Players like Giggs/Beckham/Keane/Robson has a certain kind of cocky pride, they refuse to be outplayed by fecking Aston Villa at home, no way they're gonna let them run a ring around us.

We're not even going down fighting.
I agree with that. I like Ole but when it is obvious we are playing poorly and we are on the back foot (Villa in the first half yesterday, Sheff Utd most of the game), he should be giving them an absolute rocket and leaving them in no doubt that while we might be struggling in a game to win, at least the opposition know they are in a game.

RedDevil-85

Shocking 1st half performance,doesnt seemed bothered and thats a huge problem.Cant have a striker like that leading the line at Manhester United.
He got the nr 9 role back and doesnt fight one bit for it,doesnt show us why he should keep playing there.
Very disappointing.

I hope we go for Haaland in January,his attitude and hunger for goals is something Martial just doesnt seem to have.

Alabaster Codify7

One of the most over-rated players we've ever had, in context.

I have never seen a relatively unproven player bigged up as being potentially world-class, supported by the track record of performances Martial has.

I stand by my opinion that Martial will never, ever be world class because he isn't actually that good. No, being better than our other forwards at dribbling for 10yards isn't a barometer for greatness. He's good, but he is nowhere near great and I don't see him reaching that either.

Devil81

He for me is the biggest example of a player Sir Alex wouldn't have signed, he'd have background checked him and known his attitude wasn't correct for the club.

r0663664

Worships Man City
What is talent without hardwork and effort. A lesser striker who works hard and put in 110% effort will always be better than talent only. Looks at Vardy, Wilson and other versus Martial, Sturridge, Balotelli and etc. Martial will end up with tier 2 football after leaving Utd. Only Ole thinks he is ready, I have never thought he was a striker.

HowYouDoin

Great first season under Van Gaal but thats about it. He is who he is and wont improve much. Mourinho wasnt wrong about him. Just doesnt have it to be world class
I would go as far as saying that he maybe even regressed since his first season here.

Time to sell next summer.

sherrinford

Shocking 1st half performance,doesnt seemed bothered and thats a huge problem.Cant have a striker like that leading the line at Manhester United.
He got the nr 9 role back and doesnt fight one bit for it,doesnt show us why he should keep playing there.
Very disappointing.

I hope we go for Haaland in January,his attitude and hunger for goals is something Martial just doesnt seem to have.
I’ve only seen the first half and thought he was one of the better performers.

He very obviously doesn’t have Haaland’s hunger for goals, never has and never will. By the same token, Haaland will never be able to bring his teammates into play in the way that Martial did and does.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
His off the ball movement is terrible and has been for sometime. He has moments, but he's wildly inconsistent. It's a part of his game that he seemingly hasn't worked on.

That's why when people go on about our midfield they're completely missing the point. Everyone knows our midfield isn't good enough, but that's irrelevant. The guy doesn't help himself. He's daydreaming half the time and that helps no one.

el3mel

If we end up signing Haaland, he'll end up displacing him from that striker and he'll return to trade water with Rashford on the left, best for everyone I guess. Inconsistency can be kinda predictable from wingers but to have your main striker blowing hot and cold that much isn't going to help anyone. Great for few games, invisible for the next few games, and so on, mixed with injuries too. We can't depend on him long term in such position all honestly.

We'll still play him for now as he's definitely the best option we have in comparison to other lot but as I said sign Haaland and he'll displace him easily. Maybe he'll even take the number 9# shirt from him in 2 years or so.

Well unless the curse hit Haaland here and he turns to Bebe here like most of our signings.

E-mal

He should be deducted salary for that first half performance.
The dude shows no effort, easily gives up when things don't go his way.

AshRK

He is a skillful player but he lacks intelligence and efforts. He is what I call one trick pony. He will suddenly do something unbelievable and then just do absolutely nothing for long period. I still think Martial FC was the worst thing that happened to him. He looks content with his life and knows he is getting paid crazy amount so why even try extra to reach that next level. I still hope he goes on and score 20 plus goals this season but at this rate he will again end up with 10-15 goals which will be a shocking number.

romufc

We can all sit and pin point Martial's movement or lack of it but to blame him for us not creating is not 100% fair.

There was a number of times when Fred or Perreira could have played a ball into his feet instead they always seem to pass the ball sideways or to the wing 4/5 seconds later. When you have midfielders who take 2/3 touches slow the game down and pass, the ST will lose faith and stop making those runs.

The issue is lack of penetration from our midfielders.

poleglass red

Very frustrating player. He can do something very good than completely disappear for rest of game. Rashford and James didn't have the best of games, but they ran themselves ragged, were always an option, albeit quality at times wasn't great. It's like Martial just completely switches off. I don't know what his role is. As a winger he just wants to cut inside, as a forward his movement in the box isn't good enough. He has ability, of that there is no doubt but application is an issue for him. I do feel for him though, as the midfield behind him is pure and utter crap, with little to no service. I wouldn't be too quick to right him off but we need upgrades in midfield and a legitimate new striker to challenge him and keep him on his toes.

lsd

The Oracle
I don't know about being a false no 9 but he is a false player and stealing a fortune at Utd while doing nothing to justify it

Alfie092

Arguably my favourite player at United and the fact that he is so inconsistent and always has been since he has arrived says it all :(

He can't even keep some consistency for a good number of games where it can be acceptable to have an off-game or 2. The fact that he has 3-4 good games and then 1-2 bad games in worrying. He is at the age now (24 in 3 days) where he should be more consistent. He shows lots of moments of world-class ability - the reason why he became my favourite player in the first place. But then a lot of the time he looks like an average footballer.

I know the fact the lack of service does't help him at all but I still expect more from a player with that much ability in his locker...

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I know the fact the lack of service does't help him at all but I still expect more from a player with that much ability in his locker...
Trouble is this works both ways. Of course our midfield isn't particularly creative but that highlighted clip above demonstrates exactly why he's getting no service. A player on the ball will look up and see him static next to a defender. He's not giving the passer any options.

Andersonson

People blamed Smalling for us not playing attacking football, the ball didnt go fast enough to our forwards with him in the backline. Now we got Lindelof and Maguire, both very good with a ball in their feet.

But now its the midfield thats the problem. They are not creative enough for our forwards.

When will people realize that everything is the problem? What plan do we have? Whats our style of play when team set up to counter against us?

How good is our players? Which players in our squad are proven top quality in the premier league?

Certainly not our midfield and attackers. And Martial is maybe the most inconsistent of them all.

We wont be a top side with him as our striker. The guy has 1 season in which he has scored more than 10 goals.

We need a quality striker that scores goals and Martial aint that

Sea-Cow

The only player in our squad that is capable of being a one man attack. Just a shame he decides to do so once every 5 games
Exactly. And in those 4 out of 5 games he can be completely dominated by even half-decent CBs, including 36-year-olds like Jagielka.

But that 1 game where things come off?!?! You better get the YouTube machine ready because the skillz will be on fire and the comparisons to Brazilian Ronaldo will be at the ready!

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He is a skillful player but he lacks intelligence and efforts. He is what I call one trick pony. He will suddenly do something unbelievable and then just do absolutely nothing for long period. I still think Martial FC was the worst thing that happened to him. He looks content with his life and knows he is getting paid crazy amount so why even try extra to reach that next level. I still hope he goes on and score 20 plus goals this season but at this rate he will again end up with 10-15 goals which will be a shocking number.
Has never done anything unbelievable in his time here. Let's understand he was a £35m teenager and apparently a phenomenal talent. He is holding us back.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
You don't even need to look at isolated tweets like that one, he seems to stay static far too much when we're in possession.

So much talent yet so little drive to work, to think we had folks on here conjuring imaginary scenarios of Pep turning him into a world-beater :lol: He would've binned him in 1st window available.

EricTheKingTheKing

I would get rid in the summer if we get a decent offer . His attitude is disgraceful his movement non existent and he has no strikers instinct at all.
100% this. When i watched the Aston Villa game, we were in attack, dominating possession, and i just watch Martial - just to see what he did off the ball. What's the answer 9 times out of 10. NOTHING. He stood there, no movement, not creating an option, giving his midfielders (who need all the help they can get) zero help. He stood at the top of the box and hoped someone would come up with a miracle ball.
Mata for all his short comings (pun intended) was at least moving, diagonal runs, trying to get behind the last man, drawing defenders out. Yes he got caught offside, by my god, at least he's trying.

Martial has been given how many chances to step up? Enough, that's the answer. I'd rather play Greenwood and sell AM.

UnitedChampionsAgain

His handlers at his previous club (Monaco) described him as having all the talent in the world but lacking the will to show it. Exactly how he's been at United, brilliant at times but not enough fire in his belly when the going gets tough. Still don't know how he missed that sitter against Villa..

RooneyLegend

Some really have it in for him. He was no where near as poor as some suggest. He has a degree of accuracy in his game that many of our players lack. While the likes of James and Rashford always look to be active it's alot of the time just activity without accomplishment. He was certainly one of our better players this past weekend and unfortunate he didn't trouble the scorers with one of his actions. He's a great player, no matter what anyone says.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Martial is as good as Nani & just because he isn't Cristiano Ronaldo or Rooney doesn't mean he is useless - I just don't understand what reality some fans live in.
I'm a Martial fan but that simply isn't the case. The season that Nani was played on his best side and relied on, he was the best player in the league (and arguably the best winger in the world after Ronaldo/Messi). Even before that season he always had a great workrate and put in a shift, and even on his bad days he almost always created one clear cut chance every match. Of course he also gave it away a lot on those bad days, but that was because he still did his best to get involved.

Kurton

He is one of the common presence in attack since LVG and probably one of the main reasons why we always struggle against low block teams. We need a striker with both clever movement and the ability to hold the ball. Martial is not going to be good enough.

Renegade

Sell him before his value eventually drops. Talented but he can’t be bothered. He plays like his proven everything already. A shame because I really rate him.
Can’t believe people were suggesting we don’t sign another striker because it would block or challenge Martial. What do we owe him? If he wants to start games then he needs to perform consistently and show us why.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
If Martial and Rashford were morphed into one we'd have a balon de oro winner on our hands. As that's not happening I'd get rid of Martial the first chance I'd get and buy a proper number 9. There's no point keeping him as back up as he finds it hard to motivate himself when he is playing. Playing second fiddle just wouldn't work. Question is who would pay him the wages we're paying? This club really does have a lot to answer for.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Some really have it in for him. He was no where near as poor as some suggest. He has a degree of accuracy in his game that many of our players lack. While the likes of James and Rashford always look to be active it's alot of the time just activity without accomplishment. He was certainly one of our better players this past weekend and unfortunate he didn't trouble the scorers with one of his actions. He's a great player, no matter what anyone says.
If he’s such a great player, how much do you think his market value?

Lynty

Despite being poor for 2 games, he's still better upfront than on the wing.

But no excuses this season. If he can't step up, he needs to be considered a 2nd/3rd choice striker - and we move on. And I say that with resignation, because I think if Martial moves to a better squad than ours, he'd be very good. Unfortunately it's apparent that his mentality isn't suited to where we currently find ourselves.

Shimo

Ouch, that is not good - and on it's own not acceptable at all. Not trying to justify it as expectation is that any player pulling on the United jersey should be at it for every single minute but, reality is even the best players/strikers in the world, you will find moments like that in every game if you want to find fault. But, hopefully our coaching staff is diligent and showing these bits from the game to make sure that he needs to make sure he is is doing his best to not let up for a moment.

Saw a different article from the Sheffield game where in the first half Martial was criticised for lack of involvement/movement but article showed several instances where he was making runs or making himself available but, was simply bypassed. There is always room for improvement but, think gets over exaggerated because he isn't all blood and thunder in his demeanour on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.