Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The way he span Rodri like he was on strictly come dancing before his goal was a thing of beauty.

the one thing he has no other senior attackers in our squad do is a strong weak foot. Caught Edison out lovely with that quick shot.

In Rainbows

The work he did before his shot was incredible. Held the ball up well, spun his defender, and had a great first touch to allow himself a shot with his left

Rolaholic

His movement off the ball and hold up play was great to see in that first half. Was a proper no.9 performance from him and we're starting to see that from him more and more consistently. He's looked a much better fit with the style of play Ole wants than Rom did last year

Can't wait to see how he and the rest of the current front 3 are gonna be looking when Pogba comes back with their confidence and form high as is.

They'll have someone who can find them accurately when they're making those long penetrating runs that drive backlines crazy.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Will be interesting to see how He does in a 2 CF role. Him and Holand anyone? :drool:
4-4-2

Shimo

The way he span Rodri like he was on strictly come dancing before his goal was a thing of beauty.

the one thing he has no other senior attackers in our squad do is a strong weak foot. Caught Edison out lovely with that quick shot.
Rashford and James are quite good with their weaker foot. One of the goals Rashford scored recently was with his left and Ole commented about how he needs to do more of that as it will open up the game even more for him, he definitely has it in his locker.

As for Martial, so glad he was back quick. After yet another injury, have to say was feeling a bit jaded with all the start stops he's had with us but, he is undoubtedly growing into the #9 role. Some of his play in and around the box in general is superb highlighted by his goal today. Still don't get the criticism of the Villa game because as the center forward in what is expected of him, to occupy the CBs and stay up top, it was hard for him to do anything with how bad we were with getting the ball to any of our forward players. It's the story of even the best CFs, can be anonymous if they don't actually get the ball to them.

meamth

That goal is basically showing why i always wanted him on no9 (and Rash on the wing).
He is not thinking much in penalty area. One or two touches and shot without thinking is it weaker foot.
But one thing bugs me; did he lose some pace? I know that Walker is fast fecker but in one situation Walker was twice faster than Martial.
He never had great top speed anyway.

Walker is on that Daniel James bracket when he was young though, so it was understandable why he could chase Martial.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That goal is basically showing why i always wanted him on no9 (and Rash on the wing).
He is not thinking much in penalty area. One or two touches and shot without thinking is it weaker foot.
But one thing bugs me; did he lose some pace? I know that Walker is fast fecker but in one situation Walker was twice faster than Martial.
Martial is fast but not express quick. Walker is rapid. He even out paced Rashford.

amolbhatia50k

Martial was excellent today. Linked up well, hold up play was strong and scored a good goal.

RedDevilRoshi

Thought he played really well.

Linked up well with his teammates, particularly with James ok the right. Scored an excellent goal with a lovely one-two with James. His hold up play was also good.

I’m intrigued to see how he’d play in a front 2. Someone like a Haaland next to him up top. Think they would be absolutely deadly together.

amolbhatia50k

Thought he played really well.

Linked up well with his teammates, particularly with James ok the right. Scored an excellent goal with a lovely one-two with James. His hold up play was also good.

I’m intrigued to see how he’d play in a front 2. Someone like a Haaland next to him up top. Think they would be absolutely deadly together.
Agree. Someone physical like agressive like Halaand with Martial dropping off for the technical /buildup play and Rashford coming off the left sounds deadly.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Agree. Someone physical like agressive like Halaand with Martial dropping off for the technical /buildup play and Rashford coming off the left sounds deadly.
Completely agree, I'm not sure where the noise is coming from in regards to supposedly some being against Halaand coming in to disrupt Martial's development, I actually think he would be great for Martial and vice-versa. The two of them, with a change of formation, can help Halaand keep his deadly streak against better competition because if the midfield can get it to Martial, he will help someone like Halaand get goals, and I believe Halaand can do the same for Tony. Getting him in the near-future would be a huge step in the right direction if the Norwegian can keep on the trajectory he's on at the higher level.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His goal deserves lot more recognition, it was such a fantastic goal. Build up play where he just spun City player and then both James and Martial had composure, instead of rushing into things they picked right options and finally scored.

He is so important for the way we play, he drops deep and links up play well and most times he plays big part before releasing James to counter.

zenith

Absolutely, I'd love to see that. Martial alongside
A big, tall technically proficient striker with James and rashford flanking him would be the stuff of dreams. We would be able to knock down pretty much any defense in the world.

Ofcourse, that would require a really solid central midfield pairing and defensive full backs.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Someone mentioned in the Fred thread that Martial and Fred have very short strings when judged by fans on these boards. It takes one bad game from them for some people to completely dismiss their good performances and people pretending as if they'd been cap all along.

Martial has overall started well this season so far but reading the past few pages in this thread one would think he's having a season similar to Perreira.

roonster09

Scout
Someone mentioned in the Fred thread that Martial and Fred have very short strings when judged by fans on these boards. It takes one bad game from them for some people to completely dismiss their good performances and people pretending as if they'd been cap all along.

Martial has overall started well this season so far but reading the past few pages in this thread one would think he's having a season similar to Perreira.
Wouldn't put them in same sentence as Fred is having first run of good games but it's really weird about Martial.

He has proven his worth so many times and he won his position when unfairly benched. From the mins he played, his record is very good but somehow people forget everything after one bad game. Even this season he has 4 goals and 3 assists in 9 starts.

Its not as if he is stat padding either, in 9 league starts, he has scored or assisted in 6 games, that's a good record. In Europa he scored in both games.

So in 11 starts, he has scored or assisted in 8 games and he has 9 goal contributions.

Matt007a

He was excellent yesterday and deserved his goal. My worry with him as always is that next week he won’t be up for it because it’s not a big team and we’ll see the lazy lump he often becomes. He was terrible last week.

Super talented and super frustrating player, but I can’t fault his performance yesterday.

Fracture90

He did well to score, was mostly doing the dirty job of keeping their defenders on the edge.

Was surprised when on that occasion he chose to send a ball across to Rashford and not James, especially considering Rashford had Walker on him.

Anyway if he can stay healthy, reckon he'll only get better. Also think he gotta lose few pounds.

Red_toad

When he played well the whole team improved for that 30 minute period in the first half, he was superb.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He was great, especially in that first half hour and for his goal.

Would like it if he stopped looking like someone's nicked his sweets when he gets subbed though.

Devil may care

Good first half with his goal and link play, used his physicality well, needs to be consistent and stay fit though, we need a huge second half of the season from him.

Best performance I’ve seen him give as a proper centre forward rather than as a wide forward. Great link up play and took the goal well. Put himself about better than I’ve seen him do before. Very good. Clearly tired at the end. If he can build on this and stay fit, then he could be excellent for us.

Right now, he should be starting every game as our 9 without question. His hold up play was excellent yesterday and he is the only one of our front 3 who has the technical ability to play in amongst a deep sitting defence.

Andersons Dietician

He never had great top speed anyway.

Walker is on that Daniel James bracket when he was young though, so it was understandable why he could chase Martial.
Martial has like the 3rd highest top speed recorded in the premiership with Sané, Vann’ Anholt ahead of him. Sure he was tied with Jamie Vardy for 3rd but could have changed. He’s maybe not as explosive as say Rashford is but he is by no means slow and he’s probably faster than most of them with the ball.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Had a great game and took his goal very well. It would be great if he could work on his consistency and play more games like this.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Had a great game and took his goal very well. It would be great if he could work on his consistency and play more games like this.
He has been pretty consistent this season to be fair, the times he's struggled is when we have had to play Perreira and Fred in midfield.

Walters_19_MuFc

His hold up and link play are his strongest attributes and yesterday, especially in the first half, we saw that. Great performance. Took his goal very well, too!

SAFMUTD

If he had James’s attitude and work rate he would be something really special. Good game but overall I think he could give so much more effort wise.

sport2793

If he had James’s attitude and work rate he would be something really special. Good game but overall I think he could give so much more effort wise.
Funny enough I actually think his work rate has improved tremendously this season. Seems to do his job in the high press at least. Think he's been told that he must do this to play or maybe he's maturing with age, who knows.

He'sRaldo

I have a feeling his stamina isn't very good so he has to pace himself. Might be why Ole always subs him off.

He's definitely improved on that front this season though.

SAFMUTD

I have a feeling his stamina isn't very good so he has to pace himself. Might be why Ole always subs him off.

He's definitely improved on that front this season though.
It maybe since he just came back from injury, but I think its mostly an attitude or discipline issue. Comparing the effort James and Rashford do every game makes him look kind of lazy.

But I get what you say, when in attack he is lighting fast, maybe he saves the energy.

SAFMUTD

Funny enough I actually think his work rate has improved tremendously this season. Seems to do his job in the high press at least. Think he's been told that he must do this to play or maybe he's maturing with age, who knows.
Do you have any statistics to back that up? Im not really sure he has improved his work rate, it may be due to having Rashford and specially James that run their sicks off every game that make him loon kind of lazy.

Foxbatt

There are many players, especially non British players who play in bursts. They don't run for the whole 90 mins but burst into life and does something extra. Martial to me is like that. So long as he is creating or scoring goals he can look lazy for some of the time during the game.

roonster09

Scout
Agreed! Only problem is he blows hot and cold.We need consistent performers
This season he is consistent, missed many games due to injury but when he plays he either scores or assists. He scored or assisted in 8 out of 11 starts, that's consistency.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Do every single player have to look as busy as James or Rashford? I don't think so. Martial has never been that type of player and I doubt he'll start being one now and he honestly doesn't have to. Not every player love running around endlessly, as long as they perform, put the effort and have ability then that's all that matter.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Think Ole's managing him perfectly. It might be frustrating for him to go off in the last fifteen mins but it's the right thing to do. Workrate has never been his strongest issue and it's okay as he has other great qualities.

Greck

Are we back to liking him? He and Rashford basically have to prove themselves all over again every other week

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Are we back to liking him? He and Rashford basically have to prove themselves all over again every other week
Not yet. The body language and attitude talks are still floating around. One game from him without scoring and we'll be back into full blown witch hunt. His detractors have been a bit quiet since the City game but they are just waiting for a slip up to take over this thread once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.