Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I still maintain that he's one of our better players. The games when he's on it he produces technical class that nobody in our team barring Pogba can match. The weight of that pass to Shaw yesterday on the overlap was just perfect. His link up play as weve seen this season is very strong as is his quality in close quarters. And of course our inconstancy as a team plays a part. There's a reason Pogba too isn't able to perform consistently and the collective has much to do with that.

At the same time I do agree that his intensity needs to be upped if he's going to be a first choice attacker everybody is satisfied with. And rightfully so. There's no way for example that somebody with his technical quality shouldn't be beating defenders multiple times a game. But he doesn't use it because now he's confined his game to being a link up CF. For me, he has in him to be complete - dribbling, hold up, goalscoring, the lot. But he has to obtain a certain level of intensity of be that player. He's too young to play the way he does IMO.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Should be good with Haaland then :D
I would like to see it week in week out though because Martial wasn't an actual starter for Monaco, that was supposed to be the case in 2015/2016 but he joined United in August.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I would like to see it week in week out though because Martial wasn't an actual starter for Monaco, that was supposed to be the case in 2015/2016 but he joined United in August.
As a second striker? If that's the case then we might see it this season if we sign Haaland, at least against weaker teams.

JPRouve

Scout
As a second striker? If that's the case then we might see it this season if we sign Haaland, at least against weaker teams.
I would have liked to see it during the first half of the season because I'm not sure about the relevance of 4-5 years old references, I suggested earlier that Greenwood could be a good test because Martial plays more like Anelka in the sense that he is a pivot more than a marauding second striker, you play the ball in his feet and he is able to hold it and create something with his teammates, he isn't a soloist which is kind of bothering when he doesn't have that intensity that cogs generally need. So in theory Greenwood and what Haland seems to be could be a good fit because Haland plays with intensity while Greenwood seemingly has great spatial awareness.

roonster09

Scout
I would have liked to see it during the first half of the season because I'm not sure about the relevance of 4-5 years old references, I suggested earlier that Greenwood could be a good test because Martial plays more like Anelka in the sense that he is a pivot more than a marauding second striker, you play the ball in his feet and he is able to hold it and create something with his teammates, he isn't a soloist which is kind of bothering when he doesn't have that intensity that cogs generally need. So in theory Greenwood and what Haland seems to be could be a good fit because Haland plays with intensity while Greenwood seemingly has great spatial awareness.
I thought Martial was very good when we played long ball, his control and hold up play was very good. He lacks the intensity in his play and that goal obsession, something that should be good for most 9s.

Btw not sure if I read properly, did you mean Haaland + Greenwood combination?

JPRouve

Scout
I thought Martial was very good when we played long ball, his control and hold up play was very good. He lacks the intensity in his play and that goal obsession, something that should be good for most 9s.

Btw not sure if I read properly, did you mean Haaland + Greenwood combination?
No, Martial+Haaland/Greenwood. From the little I have seen I don't think that Haaland and Greenwood would be a good partnership yet, they seem to play the same role with different tools, basically they know how to score goals and aren't particularly good at the rest yet, maybe they will develop it later though. If they were to play together, a 433 with Greenwood as an inside forward and the addition of a left wing creator would seem better than a 442.

OldTrevil

He just doesn’t come across as a natural finisher. The goal against City was absolutely millimetre perfect. Even slightly to the left or right and it doesn’t go in. Greenwood’s was a more “normal” type of goal, I just don’t see Martial doing that kind of thing hardly ever, let alone every week. I’d back Mason to replicate that shot every single game. He might not always score but I’ll take the odds. I definitely would not expect Martial to be scoring that kind of goal with any kind of regularity.
I see Martial scoring that type of goal easily, even though he's not as two-footed. He has actually improved his left foot this season, but his right remains clinical as we all know. In a fluid attack, Martial will score plenty regularly. The key with him is that he adds more than just goals, as he is a brilliant footballer and therefore becomes the glue of many attacking moves. People have quickly forgotten how we could barely create chances in his absence. He, and Mason for that matter, need players on their level especially in midfield, who have quality vision and can deliver the right passes early for them to exploit a restructuring defense in more dangerous positions. Mason comes in the team in either one of the wide positions, currently right instead of James, and not for Martial's key position in the kind of attack Ole is moving towards. With Pogba behind them, there is a potential mouthwatering attack.

Raven

I see Martial scoring that type of goal easily, even though he's not as two-footed. He has actually improved his left foot this season, but his right remains clinical as we all know. In a fluid attack, Martial will score plenty regularly. The key with him is that he adds more than just goals, as he is a brilliant footballer and therefore becomes the glue of many attacking moves. People have quickly forgotten how we could barely create chances in his absence. He, and Mason for that matter, need players on their level especially in midfield, who have quality vision and can deliver the right passes early for them to exploit a restructuring defense in more dangerous positions. Mason comes in the team in either one of the wide positions, currently right instead of James, and not for Martial's key position in the kind of attack Ole is moving towards. With Pogba behind them, there is a potential mouthwatering attack.
Yeah, once Pogba is back, we'll see the best of Martial.

roonster09

Scout
No, Martial+Haaland/Greenwood. From the little I have seen I don't think that Haaland and Greenwood would be a good partnership yet, they seem to play the same role with different tools, basically they know how to score goals and aren't particularly good at the rest yet, maybe they will develop it later though. If they were to play together, a 433 with Greenwood as an inside forward and the addition of a left wing creator would seem better than a 442.
Ha, I knew I wasn't reading correctly.

I don't think Greenwood is ready to play as 9, he is much better with facing the goal. Maybe playing with striker partner would suit him more if he plays as 9, like Martinez at Inter alongside Lukaku. As a lone striker Martinez struggled last season (in few games he got) but with striker pair he is playing well. Might be same case with Greenwood, at least for now as he is very young and will struggle to hold the ball with back to goal.

With the way he is playing, would prefer him as RW. He has become such a threat as defenders can't guess which side he will go.

If we sign Haaland, we will have plenty of games to experiment. Martial + Haaland looks good on paper but then we will have Pogba who might be played as attacking player in midfield 3 instead of midfield 2.

el3mel

If we buy Haaland I can see him getting benched for good. Haaland is a more natural striker and Rashford and James are doing pretty well on both sides to be benched for now.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He almost exclusively played as a striker/second striker, there is maybe a handful of games where he played on either wings but it was as an inside forward very close to the striker. It's worth remembering that on the left Monaco would generally not use wingers because Kurzawa was pretty much playing that role but even then Carrasco was the favored option.
Yes. He has many qualities but I wil always believe that being a pure striker isn't his best role. He isn't enough of a killer yet with his movement

-Supreme-

Wow!! People need to go back and watch the first half and actually you should watch the entire game. He was great the first half. Ability to take down the ball and keep it under preasure get away and set us on our way was excellent.
He was pressing making endless runs, dropping deep, linking the play. All these people complaining about him not getting in the box do you not realise he’s the one that has created that space or the one that played the ball through for the majority of these crosses. Which by the way are terrible.

He also made a good few runs to the front post or back post or checked out of runs to wait for a cut back, he also went in for a good few aerial challenges.

It’s ridiculous some of the reactions in this thread but really not unexpected. I should probably go to the Shaw thread next to read some more drivel.
I'm glad it wasn't just me then, I wonder if people had really watched the game

sp_107

Keane was not happy then Giggs and Nevelle. Looks like there is something going behind the scenes. Probably Ole wants to get rid of Martial as he is not fulfilling his potential and his mates might be helping him ? having said that sometimes i do feel Martial doesn’t give 100% all the time.

Shejkus

The problem is no one is on Martials wave length in the team no one to do quick one twos with nothing nada until we get that type of quality in it's hard to judge.

Number32

If he had more dicipline to press the opponent in midfield, he should be perfect number 10. He has the creativity, skill, and decent through pass that can boost our attack. He looks calm with the ball in traffic but always try to break the deffend from midfield and barely run behind offside trap, thats what Ozil did in his prime.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Keane was not happy then Giggs and Nevelle. Looks like there is something going behind the scenes. Probably Ole wants to get rid of Martial as he is not fulfilling his potential and his mates might be helping him ? having said that sometimes i do feel Martial doesn’t give 100% all the time.
Did they really watch the game, though? How come they (and you and I) didn't see those endless runs and pressing?

Last edited:

HowYouDoin

The only thing to discuss about Martial at this point is how much we can sell him for.
Its almost unanimous at this point that Greenwood is better.
It also seems we are looking for another striker or two possibly.

Martial's days are numbered. We are done with him. And good riddance is all I can say. Very frustrating player.

flappyjay

You won’t find many people slating his ability on the ball.
The problem is when you see us break and put balls in the box and our striker hasn’t even got in.
Martial isn’t perfect, and people pointing that out don’t have an agenda or anything.
We want to see him do more in certain situations, that’s all.
He goes deep to receive the ball and passes forward to James or Rashford who are running ahead of him. He does a lot of creating chances and getting our wingers on the ball and lot of people don't notice it. Go deeper get the ball from the midfielders and somehow teleport into the opposition box

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He goes deep to receive the ball and passes forward to James or Rashford who are running ahead of him. He does a lot of creating chances and getting our wingers on the ball and lot of people don't notice it. Go deeper get the ball from the midfielders and somehow teleport into the opposition box
So many things wrong. Many a times he is just there standing while someone puts a decent ball in the box. He lacks those kinds of instincts.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Do you remember how rubbish firmino was before the players on the right and left of him?

You could put shaqiri on the right of him putting crosses and half the fans would be wondering why he doesn't score the goals a normal striker does.

You literally have people still to this day saying he isn't anything like firmino when all he does every game is hold on to the ball and creates space before freeing up the wider players to get forward with a pass or a interlinking move.

I really can't wait until we get to see Haaland or Greenwood on the right hand side of Martial and Rashford on the left.
With all the times we have been playing 424 against the likes of City and Spurs and late against Everton - I wouldn't be surprised if it was Martial who started dropping deeper to take Lingards role as a support striker.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Does a little bit running improve your game? Yes, I think it will, even if to the very least making it harder for your marker.
Top athletes works and push for that 1% extra to be faster, smarter than their opponent.

If Martial cant even force himself to run more, work more, press harder, than I don't think he'll ever reach his potentials. Off all my times watching United there's only 1 player that were given license not to trackback and that special guy is Cristiano Ronaldo/

SAFMUTD

I think all this myth that he’s a lazy player comes because the look of his face, much like Pogba, his faced looks like he doesnt give a feck but the stats show he’s running.

Maybe if he makes Phil Jones face his effort wouldnt be questioned as much.

I think offensively he works good, he’s not the most hardworking player I’ve seen but he’s ok, defensively he needs to improve though he just joggs to put some “pressure” on the defenders but he doesn’t deserve as much stick as he gets.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He does and he’s good as dropping deeper to move the ball on.
That doesn’t mean that he should never be in the box, he obviously doesn’t drop deep every time we have the ball and when he doesn’t he should be busting a gut to get into the box, it’s not complicated.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'd like to see how Kane or Aguero would do with a midfield of Lingard Mcctominay and Fred behind them. Martial is one of our best dribblers and one of the best at holding the ball in our squad. The only fault in his game is that he doesn't have the instincts to score poacher goals. He could have been the top goal scorer in our squad if he got behind a number of James crosses.

But maybe he's just not that kind of no.9 that we're expecting him to be really. Let's not forget how our attack and goalscoring improved when he came back. Martial doesn't strike me as someone that should be the lead goal scorer in a team, especially a team chasing top 4. He seems more like the player that provides support in attack.

I'd honestly like to see Ole try him our as an SS if Haaland comes. Or maybe even a false 9 with Rashford and Haaland as inside forwards.

Jonno

I was really frustrated with him against Everton. The worst part is I had a feeling he wouldn't turn up at home against a lesser team and I was right.

I think his place in the team is under threat.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I was really frustrated with him against Everton. The worst part is I had a feeling he wouldn't turn up at home against a lesser team and I was right.

I think his place in the team is under threat.
People like you are just waiting for any chance to attack him. Why single Martial out? The whole attack was terrible & off their game.

Didn't you see there was zero link-up going on between them? He's a cf, do you expect him to take on the Everton defence on his own?

He was the only one trying to knit the attack together, whilst everyone else were doing their own thing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Do you remember how rubbish firmino was before the players on the right and left of him?

You could put shaqiri on the right of him putting crosses and half the fans would be wondering why he doesn't score the goals a normal striker does.

You literally have people still to this day saying he isn't anything like firmino when all he does every game is hold on to the ball and creates space before freeing up the wider players to get forward with a pass or a interlinking move.

I really can't wait until we get to see Haaland or Greenwood on the right hand side of Martial and Rashford on the left.
With all the times we have been playing 424 against the likes of City and Spurs and late against Everton - I wouldn't be surprised if it was Martial who started dropping deeper to take Lingards role as a support striker.
Firminho was always known for a strong work-rate if nothing else. And you'd put Haaland wide to shoe horn Martial up top? :lol:

Bebestation

Firminho was always known for a strong work-rate if nothing else. And you'd put Haaland wide to shoe horn Martial up top? :lol:
And work rate is the definition of a false 9 :lol:

No.

Martial isn't completely static even if Firmino is more energetic than him - get the complete hatred out of your head. Fact is Firmino wasn't at all rated because even if he tried harder he wasn't scoring goals and you yourself know that you would be crying for Haaland or a new striker who scored more goals rather than getting a system that makes a false 9 like Firmino working at United.

Poor understanding of football. Very poor and you just end up laughing at me. Martial is supposed to get on the end of James crosses after being the one who usually starts an attack from deeper.

Let's say - even if he is lazy whilst Firmino is a work horse, tell me this, how many goals would Firmino score with James crosses. Do you think you would be happy with Firmino upfront, Rashford on the left and James on the right :lol:

That my friend is poor understanding of football because James and his crosses doesn't get the best out of Firmino but a player like Salah or hell even Greenwood who is a proper forward then is able to take the goal scoring duties away from Firmino.

Mane & Salah become the main goal scorers.

Also Firmino isn't just put in as a false 9 for Liverpool just because of his work rate :nervous: What about his technical ability, his ability to drop deep? His ability to make short passes, his ability to hold on to the ball and play wider passes to bring Mane and Salah in to play, his dribbling skills, him being a player who brings a level of fluidity to Liverpool's play in comparison to players like Henderson & Co.

And no -

Haaland in partnership striker up top

Rashford - Haaland/Greenwood
Martial(F9)

A more strikers version of what we see at Liverpool is what should happen with the main goal scoring duties falling to our strikers.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And work rate is the definition of a false 9 :lol:

No.
No one said it's the definition of a false 9. It's just a key criticism of Martial and a basic requirement which Firminho had, rendering your comparison useless.

Martial isn't completely static even if Firmino is more energetic than him - get the complete hatred out of your head. Fact is Firmino wasn't at all rated because even if he tried harder he wasn't scoring goals and you yourself know that you would be crying for Haaland or a new striker who scored more goals rather than getting a system that makes a false 9 like Firmino working at United.
No one has "hatred" towards Martial. We are all within our rights to critique him along with others in the squad. Firminho is a massive value add capable of finding passes in tight areas in a way more consistent manner than Martial, and he has the energy and engine to fit Klopp's system on top. You need to calm the presumptious thoughts that Martial is going to be Firminho with zero grounding. Firminho fits Klopp's system because Salah and Mane can contribute the goals. Martial doesn't fit ours because we need an out and out striker.

Poor understanding of football. Very poor and you just end up laughing at me. Martial is supposed to get on the end of James crosses after being the one who usually starts an attack from deeper.

Let's say - even if he is lazy whilst Firmino is a work horse, tell me this, how many goals would Firmino score with James crosses. Do you think you would be happy with Firmino upfront, Rashford on the left and James on the right :lol:
You've boiled down player performances solely by focusing on goals. Your understanding of football is poor indeed. Goals are important for a striker but not sufficient on it's own. Lukaku scored 26 goals in his first season with us, it didn't free him from performance criticism. And if you're trying to suggest Martial's general play is akin to Firminho you need to go for a walk.

Mane & Salah become the main goal scorers.
Well done you're getting somewhere. They have Mane and Salah, and we don't. But Firminho's general play was pivotal to making Liverpool tick on a consistent basis, in big games, and he has the tireless energy to match. Martial does this sometimes, but not consistently enough. So you can understand how a player like Martial whose performances are inconsistent and lacks goals to match might struggle to keep his place long-term as a 9 for us.

Also Firmino isn't just put in as a false 9 for Liverpool just because of his work rate :nervous: What about his technical ability, his ability to drop deep? His ability to make short passes, his ability to hold on to the ball and play wider passes to bring Mane and Salah in to play, his dribbling skills, him being a player who brings a level of fluidity to Liverpool's play in comparison to players like Henderson & Co.
Yes, and he is superb in his performance levels and general consistency. Martial is not.

And no -

Haaland in partnership striker up top

Rashford - Haaland/Greenwood
Martial(F9)

A more strikers version of what we see at Liverpool is what should happen with the main goal scoring duties falling to our strikers.
So you would push Haaland wide, then. He's not a winger and belongs to be the focal point of attack. Not drifting into channels to cater for a false 9 who you oddly think is comparable to Firminho in performance and/or consistency.

He'sRaldo

Well done you're getting somewhere. They have Mane and Salah, and we don't. But Firminho's general play was pivotal to making Liverpool tick on a consistent basis, in big games, and he has the tireless energy to match. Martial does this sometimes, but not consistently enough. So you can understand how a player like Martial whose performances are inconsistent and lacks goals to match might struggle to keep his place long-term as a 9 for us.
What I'm getting from this is

(i) it's more down to our poor squad planning than any fault of Martial. Players have strengths and weaknesses, and you have to plan for that as you build a squad, which we didn't and thus the player performances suffer.

(ii) Martial is one of our best players, thus, isn't it better to build around Martial's hold up play than Dan James' crosses? It should be James who loses his place to a more goalscoring RF like Greenwood, since Martial is better and brings more to our attack.

Bebestation

What I'm getting from this is

(i) it's more down to our poor squad planning than any fault of Martial. Players have strengths and weaknesses, and you have to plan for that as you build a squad, which we didn't and thus the player performances suffer.

(ii) Martial is one of our best players, thus, isn't it better to build around Martial's hold up play than Dan James' crosses? It should be James who loses his place to a more goalscoring RF like Greenwood, since Martial is better and brings more to our attack.
Well done.

Bebestation

No one said it's the definition of a false 9. It's just a key criticism of Martial and a basic requirement which Firminho had, rendering your comparison useless.

No one has "hatred" towards Martial. We are all within our rights to critique him along with others in the squad. Firminho is a massive value add capable of finding passes in tight areas in a way more consistent manner than Martial, and he has the energy and engine to fit Klopp's system on top. You need to calm the presumptious thoughts that Martial is going to be Firminho with zero grounding. Firminho fits Klopp's system because Salah and Mane can contribute the goals. Martial doesn't fit ours because we need an out and out striker.

You've boiled down player performances solely by focusing on goals. Your understanding of football is poor indeed. Goals are important for a striker but not sufficient on it's own. Lukaku scored 26 goals in his first season with us, it didn't free him from performance criticism. And if you're trying to suggest Martial's general play is akin to Firminho you need to go for a walk.

Yes, and he is superb in his performance levels and general consistency. Martial is not.

So you would push Haaland wide, then. He's not a winger and belongs to be the focal point of attack. Not drifting into channels to cater for a false 9 who you oddly think is comparable to Firminho in performance and/or consistency.
Why is it useless? Just because Haaland has a better first touch than Lukaku doesn't downplay either players ability to play as a target man does it?

Firmino's work rate meant absolutely nothing to Liverpool until the moment they fixed the system with the right players around him - him running around meant absolutely nothing to Liverpool. I don't see why we should be overly critical of Martial when there is clear and obvious flaws in our tactical set up of our first team first and foremost.

Firmino is a more all rounded player will less flaws due to his work rate & due to martials so called' poor work rate' (neither do I think he is Rooney or tevez but neither do I think he is berbatov) - all he is is a less all rounded player. That means absolutely nothing to us when we have players like James playing on the right hand side trying to cross for Martial in the box. How is that a good tactic?

What we have seen in the last 2 months is -
1) Rashford can score by him self from an angle after a few touches from the left hand side
2) Greenwood can score from the right by himself after a few touches from the right hand side. Yet it's James and crossing and Poaching type of football we should be doing.
3) Martial makes our front line have the ability to play more fluid and with space with good decent passing even with our best midfielder like Pogba no where to be seen.

Jonno

People like you are just waiting for any chance to attack him. Why single Martial out? The whole attack was terrible & off their game.

Didn't you see there was zero link-up going on between them? He's a cf, do you expect him to take on the Everton defence on his own?

He was the only one trying to knit the attack together, whilst everyone else were doing their own thing.
People like me? I hoped Martial would flourish, but sadly he has erratic form, he only fancies certain types of games, he has no presence in the penalty box, he hides behind his marker.

He is only suited to counter-attacking games where we transition quickly. When teams sit deep, he loses interest. Sometimes you need to make the same run 10-15-20 times a game and you'll only receive the pass once, but you'll score. I don't see it from him. You only see it from the very best strikers, so is he good enough to be Man United's first choice striker?

I've seen Dan James get to the byline and drive the ball into the near post quite often this season and i've seen Martial half-heartedly attempt to get there. We need more than this, he could 5 extra goals this season if he did.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
People like me? I hoped Martial would flourish, but sadly he has erratic form, he only fancies certain types of games, he has no presence in the penalty box, he hides behind his marker.

He is only suited to counter-attacking games where we transition quickly. When teams sit deep, he loses interest. Sometimes you need to make the same run 10-15-20 times a game and you'll only receive the pass once, but you'll score. I don't see it from him. You only see it from the very best strikers, so is he good enough to be Man United's first choice striker?

I've seen Dan James get to the byline and drive the ball into the near post quite often this season and i've seen Martial half-heartedly attempt to get there. We need more than this, he could 5 extra goals this season if he did.
Yes. Couldn't you say the same for the whole team? You could argue the whole team only fancies certain types of games. Why is Martial singled out?

You have to look at the bigger picture. The whole team was out of sorts vs Everton. What did Rashford, James & Lingard do? Saying that he is only suited to counter-attacking games is nonsense. He is the one player we have who is capable of bringing others into play. His traits aren't that of a counter-attacking player at all.

You don't think the way the team is set-up only caters to counter-attacking games where we transition quickly? You don't think that the fact that there's a black hole in the middle of the final third during our build-up play has a major effect in these types of games?

Have you seen the way we attack? We attack in a semi-circle from Fred/McT to Rashford/James, rinse/repeat. Very rarely through the middle at all. I think people need to focus on that major issue personally.

OL29

Just watched these videos, I didn't think my eyes were playing tricks on me, he had a mixed game and lacked a goal threat but to say he looked disinterested is a complete fabrication. He was constantly dropping deep, linking play and trying to get into the box. He reminds me a bit of Nani in that, if they don't score or assist in a game it's down to a poor attitude. Certain players just aren't afforded the luxury of a poor game.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Just watched these videos, I didn't think my eyes were playing tricks on me, he had a mixed game and lacked a goal threat but to say he looked disinterested is a complete fabrication. He was constantly dropping deep, linking play and trying to get into the box. He reminds me a bit of Nani in that, if they don't score or assist in a game it's down to a poor attitude. Certain players just aren't afforded the luxury of a poor game.
He's an easy target for lazy 'pundits' right now. Imagine thinking Martial looked disinterested after watching that match. He was actually really good i thought. It's much easier to criticise him though, than confront the elephant in the room which is our systematic inability to break teams down that sit deep. It's not like we haven't seen this same exact performance for months now...

Hawks2008

I just love how people keep trying to change the narrative as to what his role is. First if was "He isn't a winger he's a striker" and then "he isn't a proper striker he's a false 9" and even some suggesting he might actually be a 10. Constant excuses for a guy who is 24 and has played nearly 200 games for the club. The fact is his showing against Everton is usually the norm which is frustrating because he has some quality.

Comparisons to Firmino are wide of the mark IMO. Firmino is much better at operating between the lines, is more creative, and actually works off the ball. Martial dropping deep is no excuse for having no presence in the box, Rooney did it all the time and was always arriving into the area and attacking the ball and there's no reason Martial shouldn't be either.

He'sRaldo

Comparisons to Firmino are wide of the mark IMO. Firmino is much better at operating between the lines, is more creative, and actually works off the ball.
The question is, how did you rate Firmino before Mane and Salah came in?

I remember tons of Liverpool fans complaining about Firmino "we need 30 goals a season striker" until those two came in to work with Klopp. Now that he's being used effectively, they say Firmino is the most underrated striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.