6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

R'hllor

People have their tunnel vision on players expecting to bail rest with one finish or two regardless of team performance.

Art Vandelay

He has never scored more than 15 goals after his debut season. How much longer are we going to wait on this lad. Hasn't got it. Hope he can break the 15 goal mark and we can con PSG out of 80 mil
People have been watching him for 5 years, no one is paying £80m for him or paying him the stupid wages that we do.

dogwithabone

Can’t remember who it was but a pundit said at the weekend that we are terrified to sell Martial because of what he might do elsewhere but, seriously, how long do we give him as a United player ?

He’s supposedly been about ready to ‘step up’ for the last four years. Surely his time has to be coming to an end here and we just have to accept that us and him aren’t the right fit - regardless of what he might go on to become at another club.

He'sRaldo

With our other good players out he will struggle, same as any other player. Unfortunate that he couldn't take his chance, but that doesn't change his quality.

Seen enough lack of quality at Old Trafford nowadays to know that.

Dante

Average bang

These two situations eventually turned out to be lost causes. But a striker with killer instincts would have been busting a gut to get ahead of his defender, or in-between CB and goalkeeper. Martial moved about 3 feet with the ball coming into the box twice.

It's Martial's inability to pull defences out of shape that's his biggest failing. As a lone striker that's bad enough. But as a lone striker flanked by wide forwards, it makes his role almost redundant.

You could see why Greenwood went to CF when he came on. Burnley's defenders had their easiest game of the season today. For all Martial's quality, he doesn't do enough to impose that quality on the opposition.

If you're struggling to create chances, you don't always need a De Bruyne or a Silva in midfield. Even an average midfielder can make an assist if the forwards are helping to create space up front.

Fred, Matic and Pereira don't have the ability to conjure up magic out of nothing, but Martial does have the ability to work harder. The reason he gets criticised is because his failings are easily resolvable if he wanted to do something about it.

edgar allan

These two situations eventually turned out to be lost causes. But a striker with killer instincts would have been busting a gut to get ahead of his defender, or in-between CB and goalkeeper. Martial moved about 3 feet with the ball coming into the box twice.

It's Martial's inability to pull defences out of shape that's his biggest failing. As a lone striker that's bad enough. But as a lone striker flanked by wide forwards, it makes his role almost redundant.

You could see why Greenwood went to CF when he came on. Burnley's defenders had their easiest game of the season today. For all Martial's quality, he doesn't do enough to impose that quality on the opposition.

If you're struggling to create chances, you don't always need a De Bruyne or a Silva in midfield. Even an average midfielder can make an assist if the forwards are helping to create space up front.

Fred, Matic and Pereira don't have the ability to conjure up magic out of nothing, but Martial does have the ability to work harder. The reason he gets criticised is because his failings are easily resolvable if he wanted to do something about it.
His qualities are seriously over exaggerated, his inconsistency and lack of physical presence are not going to change.

Irwin99

I honestly forgot he was on the pitch for a big part of the second half. Just doesn't impose himself on games enough.

redshaw

Had a great chance but wanted way too much time and pitch to control and run while already in the box, second touch should be passing it in the net.

Martial or Rashford up front on their own have looked very poor.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
24 years old, perfect time to start being ruthless and consistent. I still believe in this lad, but it's seriously not a crime to add another striker that could extend the goal amount even further.

SAF used to have 4 quality strikers and he was pissing on injuries and the league in general from the highest mountain.

Stadjer

Had a great chance but wanted way too much time and pitch to control and run while already in the box, second touch should be passing it in the net.

Martial or Rashford up front on their own have looked very poor.
Maybe that is because they are good footballers and the other options are not. Rashford and Martial together offer more than Rashford OR Martial + two out of the group : James/Mata/Lingard/Pereira?

redshaw

Maybe that is because they are good footballers and the other options are not. Rashford and Martial together offer more than Rashford OR Martial + two out of the group : James/Mata/Lingard/Pereira?
Yes, that's what I'm saying. It's works when we have a front three of Rashford Martial and James/Greenwood but can't rely on any of them to lead when the other is out.

Oldyella

Hes not a striker is he? Just no instinct to get into the box when we have the ball anywhere near their goal.

Stadjer

Yes, that's what I'm saying. It's works when we have a front three of Rashford Martial and James/Greenwood but can't rely on any of them to lead when the other is out.
I was fine with not replacing Lukaku with a new CF because i do think Martial is more than capable to be a CF for a league winning team but i do think we needed to get a 'proven and ready to step in' right sided attacker. Not Daniel James but someone who would actually improve the attack instead of just fill up the squad. Isnt there a Salah Mk 2 that we could sign playing somewhere?

Nori-

He isn't great on the left wing, isn't a proper striker and cant play right wing. Not really sure what he is.

Unpopular opinion, but if we can get what we paid for him (£57m after addons I think) then take the money and start balancing this squad out. We're heavy in some positions and bare bones in others.

Art Vandelay

He isn't great on the left wing, isn't a proper striker and cant play right wing. Not really sure what he is.

Unpopular opinion, but if we can get what we paid for him (£57m after addons I think) then take the money and start balancing this squad out. We're heavy in some positions and bare bones in others.
Do you think there's a team out there that he's worth £57m to? He isn't prolific, isn't consistent and isn't particularly good in any position. Add in his stupidly high wages and it's not exactly an attractive package for a team to take on at that price. He's not potential anymore either, he's going to be 25 soon. I can't see anyone paying anywhere near that for him.

el3mel

24 years old, perfect time to start being ruthless and consistent. I still believe in this lad, but it's seriously not a crime to add another striker that could extend the goal amount even further.

SAF used to have 4 quality strikers and he was pissing on injuries and the league in general from the highest mountain.
Wait he's 24? That can't be true! I thought he was still 22 or something. He's approaching his prime years and doesn't look half the player we were predicting after his initial season. Rashford is younger and looks twice the player already.

Stadjer

Wait he's 24? That can't be true! I thought he was still 22 or something. He's approaching his prime years and doesn't look half the player we were predicting after his initial season. Rashford is younger and looks twice the player already.
He turned 24 like a month ago... still very young for a CF.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Do you think there's a team out there that he's worth £57m to? He isn't prolific, isn't consistent and isn't particularly good in any position. Add in his stupidly high wages and it's not exactly an attractive package for a team to take on at that price. He's not potential anymore either, he's going to be 25 soon. I can't see anyone paying anywhere near that for him.
I'd be surprised if he wouldn't fetch that in the market. He's a tricky player to fit into the side, but for a well functioning side that has a fluid attack, he could become a lot more consistent and actually develop his game.

Steven-UK

Martial is nowhere near good enough for this club, and never has been.

If we hadn't bought him when we did, I'd bet he'd be in the wilderness by now in football terms.

I'd get rid in a heartbeat.......... if we replace him of course, which does not seem to be something we do anymore.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
When we'll finally build something resembling a football team at current rate, he'll probably be around 28.

Time flies and we're wasting it, window after window.

Betson

A lot of potential and expectation , a few moments of magic along the way but overall he has been about average for us and has not lived up to the potential.

Roy Keane might be right in that he lacks the character to be a success at a club like utd , seems to disappear when he is needed most.

Far from our biggest problem and can certainly complain about the quality of supply he gets but overall a disappointment.

Green_Red

Mourinho was right, hes not a striker. He should be playing as 10 and Greenwood ahead of him tonight imo. He comes towards the ball too often and doesnt try to run diagonally across / into the box at all. He leaves massive spaces up top when he comes towards the ball which makes it so easy for opposing defenders because once our midfield progress up the pitch they hit congestion and the result is this sideways shite around the box until we lose the ball.

We need a proper striker as soon as possible.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Mourinho was right, hes not a striker. He should be playing as 10 and Greenwood ahead of him tonight imo. He comes towards the ball too often and doesnt try to run diagonally across / into the box at all. He leaves massive spaces up top when he comes towards the ball which makes it so easy for opposing defenders because once our midfield progress up the pitch they hit congestion and the result is this sideways shite around the box until we lose the ball.

We need a proper striker as soon as possible.
He is playing like that as thats how our system is setup. We play with Rashford to come centrally when he drops deep. Not sure why Ole didnt adjust

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is playing like that as thats how our system is setup. We play with Rashford to come centrally when he drops deep. Not sure why Ole didnt adjust
Because Ole is a whack manager.

Ole should have scrapped that tactic today if he wasn't going to start with atleast another striker and moved martial to the left, played Greenwood in the middle and Mata on the left so we had some creativity for the central striker rather than our central striker being a creative one who has a natural intention to drop deep - martial never changes that because he wants to interlink with the other attackers - problem today was that the other attackers Ole put out today was Mata and James who play deep themselves.

We literally have no forwards.

Bondi77

He is not a central striker and I think that is plain to see.
We would be better off buying a finisher and putting Martial back on the left while Rash is out so he can get more time on the ball and run at defenders as that is his strength.
He just does not have the predatory instinct and he does not get his shots off quick enough.

E-mal

A lot of potential and expectation , a few moments of magic along the way but overall he has been about average for us and has not lived up to the potential.

Roy Keane might be right in that he lacks the character to be a success at a club like utd , seems to disappear when he is needed most.

Far from our biggest problem and can certainly complain about the quality of supply he gets but overall a disappointment.
Captured my thoughts perfectly.

norm87cro

He was bad yesterday no doubt about it. And I think he knows it but I've said it on the Maguire performance thread as well. No Ddg thread after yesterday? Is there some kind of agenda on the CAF not to say anything bad about our talented but obviously not really motivated keeper anymore? Burnley managed two shots on goal. That's how much they scored as well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was bad yesterday no doubt about it. And I think he knows it but I've said it on the Maguire performance thread as well. No Ddg thread after yesterday? Is there some kind of agenda on the CAF not to say anything bad about our talented but obviously not really motivated keeper anymore? Burnley managed two shots on goal. That's how much they scored as well.
So? Those 2 goals are not mistakes, doesn't matter how many shots they took. Those were good goal and nothing DeGea could have done.

On the other hand, Martial had 2 easy chances, which were easier than the one Burnley scored which he messed up.

He had decent season but had very poor game yesterday.

norm87cro

And that's what I thought initially but looking at the replay of the second goal it was to his closer side despite the shot being well struck. And it is not ok that I'm talking about this on the Martial thread just because the CAF hasn't updated the De Gea thread. Martial was always a wing foward not a CF and the current striker situation is certainly on Ole. But we should have been 3 up before their goal and the two are down to Martial.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Martial needs Rashford just like Rashford needs Martial. Few fans couldn't wait to shit on Rashford when he struggled during Martial's absence, now we are struggling to score in Rashford's absence. Martial doesn't have anyone on his wavelength and there is no player who is occupying the goal scoring positions when he is creating the space.

ManUtd fans should learn to appreciate both instead of acting like fan boy for one player and shitting on other.

norm87cro

Martial needs Rashford just like Rashford needs Martial. Few fans couldn't wait to shit on Rashford when he struggled during Martial's absence, now we are struggling to score in Rashford's absence. Martial doesn't have anyone on his wavelength and there is no player who is occupying the goal scoring positions when he is creating the space.

ManUtd fans should learn to appreciate both instead of acting like fan boy for one player and shitting on other.
Agreed.

te_ale

Ship back to France. I think PSG will come calling once they sell mbappe to madrid

Hughes35

Hugely overrated player. Nice touch and some good dribbling skills do not make a good footballer.

He's decent, nothing more. Not good enough if you want to challenge for trophies consistently.

He's way way way down the list of problems on and off the pitch though.

Ekeke

I think he'd suit playing in a 2 up front like Inter do with Lukaku and Lautaro. Someone to help create space and play off of.

Statistically he's done fairly well up front alone this season but I'm still not convinced its his position

AneRu

Hugely overrated player. Nice touch and some good dribbling skills do not make a good footballer.

He's decent, nothing more. Not good enough if you want to challenge for trophies consistently.

He's way way way down the list of problems on and off the pitch though.
He is a good player when things are going right but utterly useless when he has to fight. Ultimately he doesn't have the drive to achieve the consistency needed to be a top player.

Agree with you, as far as our problems go he is far down the packing order that we could do with keeping him for a season or two whilst we deal with the mess that is our midfield and adding on some real creativity into the team. In the summer I'd sooner buy a DM, AM and RW before thinking about the striker but he is the next one out after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.