6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRedHearted

Who else besides Sancho because that just seems extremely unlikely. Yes we’ve pulled off unlikely before- but I’d say Barcelona or Liverpool are more inclined to sign him (in that scenario Salah would go to Madrid.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

I just love the guys vision.

He plays so deep, as deep as in our own half at times and can pick a nice weighted pass in between two defenders to find an attacker.

The flicks he does can continue the attack nicely when we have a balanced attacked with deadly finishers on each side of him.

I just remember how he was playing when Rashford was on the left & Martial was playing more like a deep lying forward - controlling the game & making passes after a fantastic first touch. Can't wait for that to come back next season when Rashford is back.

People underestimate what he does to improve Rashford's game & vice versa.

Stadjer

He plays so deep, as deep as in our own half at times and can pick a nice weighted pass in between two defenders to find an attacker.

The flicks he does can continue the attack nicely when we have a balanced attacked with deadly finishers on each side of him.

I just remember how he was playing when Rashford was on the left & Martial was playing more like a deep lying forward - controlling the game & making passes after a fantastic first touch. Can't wait for that to come back next season when Rashford is back.

Yeah but he isnt running, smiling, earning the shirt or playing for the badge... sub him off for Ighalo, sell Martial and lets buy a proper number 9 because Martial isnt a number 9! Atleast that is what i read here when he hasnt scored.

With all the limitations this team has, Martial is actually having quite a good season. A lot of people just dont want to change their ideas about Martial. They have decided he is shit, no amount of good games or good moments will convince them otherwise. However when he does have a bad game it does strenghten the belief that he is shit. If Pogba wasnt getting all the 'attention' of the one who needs to be sold i think we would see more topics here that Martial needs to be sold and that he actually isnt very good.

He'sRaldo

He was always a goalscorer so his goal numbers will always be good, but I think another season or two playing as a deep forward with two wide forwards flanking him, and we'll start to see his assist numbers shoot up.

Right now he's still learning the role so he won't be as good at it (not to mention the instability of the attack with Rashford injured and Greenwood used sparingly), but he's the sort of player who can put up both goals and assists and doesn't have a preference for either. Perfect player for any sort of strike partnership.

Last edited:

Handré1990

What I took away from that video more than anything is how many more assists he should’ve got.

Raven

He always has the best highlights. Love the way he plays.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
15 goals + 5 assists this season is a good return, should reach 30 this season.

romufc

Yeah but he isnt running, smiling, earning the shirt or playing for the badge... sub him off for Ighalo, sell Martial and lets buy a proper number 9 because Martial isnt a number 9! Atleast that is what i read here when he hasnt scored.

With all the limitations this team has, Martial is actually having quite a good season. A lot of people just dont want to change their ideas about Martial. They have decided he is shit, no amount of good games or good moments will convince them otherwise. However when he does have a bad game it does strenghten the belief that he is shit. If Pogba wasnt getting all the 'attention' of the one who needs to be sold i think we would see more topics here that Martial needs to be sold and that he actually isnt very good.
I am surprised of how much Anti Martial posts there are here. Players playing up top will frustrate you if you don't get bodies around them.

He has improved his game and Ole is still not happy trying to get him to continuously improve.

He has been fantastic recently, plays well with Rashford and James cause he drops into false 9 and releases runners.

But the point is, for a CF to look good they need support. People expect Martial to beat 4/5 mans every game and score.

Kappa123

He's been very impressive, if he can keep up this sort of form in the final stretch of the season it'll be massive for us. Still can't help but wonder if we would look even better giving Ighalo a run of games, as he's a more traditional striker and brings an entirely new element to our attack - one we've been sorely lacking as well!

But as long as Martial is playing for the team and playing well there can be absolutely no complaints. As others have rightfully said, he's far from the biggest problem we have.

NJM78

At not long 24, 66 goals and 33 assists in 205 apps (158 starts) is pretty good in a relatively poor team over the years. If we can get back to playing exciting football where we create numerous chances per game he can easily improve his goal scoring ratio of just less than 1 in 3.

Rashford has similar figures so we have two really good players that if provided should be enough to take us to a next level, add a Sancho for example to these two and another top class CM we can compete again.

Renegade

He is pure class and has made big improvements this year. However is it unfair to expect elite level performances from him when his paid like an elite level player?

Raven

Just look at that matchday threads before he scores... it is crazy. Embarrassing really.
Incredibly embarrassing. It was clearly the best he'd been in a few weeks in terms of his touch, etc yet people were still hanging him out to dry.

Raven

He is pure class and has made big improvements this year. However is it unfair to expect elite level performances from him when his paid like an elite level player?
He's been one of our best players this season and as you rightly pointed out, he's still improving. We need better players on his wavelength to see the best of him.

MadMike

It's entirely fine to expect more of him. Even those who support him do that.

I think the problem is many people are very black and white about him. Some love him, some hate it and few (seemingly) acknowledge that he is a work in progress. One who is good but needs to get better and reach another level at least consistency wise. While also recognising that we need to surround him with more quality than Lingard, Pereira, James if he is to reach that next level.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His numbers are good.

Our front 3 (Rashford + Martial + Greenwood) have scored + assisted 36 league goals in 4176 mins - 116 mins per G+A
Liverpool front 3 have 55 league goals + assists in 6228 mins - 113 mins per G+A.

If we go by goals alone, it's 29 goals averaging 144 mins per goal, Liverpool attackers scored 36 goals averaging 173 mins per goal.

Our attackers have done well with limited creativity behind them. Our biggest problem is lack of creative players, Liverpool FBs contributed 22 goals already. We don't have to copy exact style but we need goal threats from other positions too.

Robbie Boy

Some on here carry on in a bizarre fashion: They literally can't wait to lambaste Martial despite the fact that he has scored in 3 consecutive games and has nearly 20 goals/assists combined this season. Some of these same posters will praise Dan James for looking semi-competent every now and again. It's so odd.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

He was always a goalscorer so his goal numbers will always be good, but I think another season or two playing as a deep forwards with two wide forwards flanking him, and we'll start to see his assist numbers shoot up.

Now he's learning the role so he won't be as good at it (not to mention the instability of the attack with Rashford injured and Greenwood used sparingly), but he's the sort of player who can put up both goals and assists and doesn't have a preference for either. Perfect player for any sort of strike partnership.
Everyone loved Martial during Rashford's form & people were complimenting his game all over the place - playing a different game to the way he is playing now even when he is scoring goals.

I actually really value his ability to drop deep alot & I believe that comes out of his effort to work hard more than people think & ideally we should have two consistent finishers of chances like Rashford & Greenwood on the sides of him to really feel work Martial does to the team when he does drop deep and have the players making runs off him and on to goal scoring positions.

Then they can pull back in to martial because you normally see martial making runs very consistently & at top pace after making a pass.

He's a player that I believe will improve on his weakness once playing to his strengths - allow him to play deep, play the ball to his feet, make him be the player that interlink the other forwards and makes runs afterwards in to the box etc.

I believe a deep lying forward/false 9 isn't a particularly easy player to find in the transfer market & considering we have a good and relatively young player in our squad - I never agree with the belief that we should sell the guy. I'm okay with buying a different type of striker to accommodate changes in tactics.

I don't think it's his fault his wages are inflated because all our squad is - I'd argue nearly everyone in our squad doesn't deserve their wages when you compare to the wages of a team like Liverpool

However - its not the expectations of the elite level performance from Martial that causes difference in opinion in martial in my opinion - it's the way that people see him work. Some just want him to turn in to this goal scorer in the box scoring 20+ goals regularly whilst others like me are okay with him being a 14 goal a season forward who plays deeper as a false 9 trying to get more lethal, greedy forwards like Rashford & Greenwood in from more wider positions in to narrow areas rather than the other way around where Rashford & Greenwood may not have the passing ability that Martial does.

Renegade

His numbers are good.

Our front 3 (Rashford + Martial + Greenwood) have scored + assisted 36 league goals in 4176 mins - 116 mins per G+A
Liverpool front 3 have 55 league goals + assists in 6228 mins - 113 mins per G+A.

If we go by goals alone, it's 29 goals averaging 144 mins per goal, Liverpool attackers scored 36 goals averaging 173 mins per goal.

Our attackers have done well with limited creativity behind them. Our biggest problem is lack of creative players, Liverpool FBs contributed 22 goals already. We don't have to copy exact style but we need goal threats from other positions too.
I can agree with this, creativity from all areas is a issue.

KennyBurner

His numbers are good.

This is what Ive been screaming about. Its also the reason why we cant sell Pogba until we acquire a player like sancho. Right now our only creative players are Bruno, Pogba, mata and martial. The others dont have the creativity or finesse to curve out chances consistently. Players like Dan james and rashford for instance are terrible dribblers in tight spaces so although they try to create, that lack of finesse in tight spaces produces inconsistency. I read a graph somewhere that stated they were among the top 50 worst dribblers in the league. Its also another reason Im in favor of Brandon Williams over Luke Shaw because of the formers attacking intent. We need more players in the team with more technical ability.

TsuWave

From one misfit Manchester United man to another as Stan Collymore gives Anthony Martial a kicking in the Daily Mirror. Perfectly timed, of course, as he has scored in his last three games for United to take him within two strikes of his best ever season for the club.

‘He has a very good ability, but will he be an all-time great goalscorer? No.’
Well, he has only recently turned 24 and has already scored 86 goals – which is more than Thierry Henry at the same age – so it might be a little too soon to make that judgement.

‘Is he the natural 30-goal-a-season striker we hoped he might be? No again.’
Well, no. Certainly not yet. But 30-goal-a-season strikers are pretty rare; only two Premier League-based players hit that number in 2018/19: Sergio Aguero and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. So are you berating a 24-year-old man for being neither of those incredible, experienced players? Well yes.

‘He’s a 15-to-20-goal-a-season striker who will occasionally pop up with a lovely finish like he did at the weekend. But other times he will look surly, not in the mood and that can be massively frustrating.’
Ah. Now we get there. It’s the bloody smiling thing again.

Collymore then encourages Martial to take a leaf out of the book of Dwight Yorke, who always played with a great big grin. Which really is not patronising at all.

Obviously, the fact that miserable Martial has more than double the goals of the happy Yorke at the same age is immaterial; why let facts and statistics get in the way of a rant about an in-form goalscorer never quite scoring or smiling enough?

‘So Martial needs to learn from people like Dwight and know that, if he looked like he was enjoying it a bit more, it would be half the battle won.’
Yes, because being relatively surly was a massive obstacle to the career of, say, Eric Cantona.

‘I’d also be telling Marcus Rashford that, while they are the future of the club, I would be getting a 25-to-30-goal-a-season striker in to help them out.
‘You would then have a pool of three to guarantee you a Sergio Aguero-esque return week after week.’
Newsflash: They bought a 25-to-30-goal-a-season striker in Romelu Lukaku and then they sold him after two seasons. It’s almost like it’s not as easy as just buying more players who score goals.

Collymore then casually refers to this ‘deadly newcomer’ as if such players can be found and bought with ease.

If Martial’s 15 goals so far this season is an unacceptable number, we are assuming that a potential ‘deadly newcomer’ would already have 20 goals. The complete list of such players across Europe’s top five leagues reads as follows:

Robert Lewandowski, Ciro Immobile, Timo Werner, Kylian Mbappe, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Romelu Lukaku, Raul Jimenez, Sergio Aguero, Moussa Dembele and Raheem Sterling. Why not buy two?

https://www.football365.com/news/anthony-martial-man-united-mediawatch

OL29

People have said it before but once Pogba's gone, the press will move onto Martial, and the fans will eat it all up.

Rolaholic

Stan Collymore is one of the biggest nonces in the media today. It's not a coincidence he's loathed by every fanbase he ever played for when he chats so much shite

Stadjer

People have said it before but once Pogba's gone, the press will move onto Martial, and the fans will eat it all up.
100%. Wont be hard at all because Martial isnt the most liked player already. All because he isnt smiling or aimlessly running around enough.

romufc

Like Ole said, he hasn't really played CF for us in his time here. Obviously, him and Ole have had a chat and it is something he wants to do that's why he is playing there.

He came into the role then got injured for 3 months, came back in and looked good when Rashy was there and then with no service and limited experience of that role has been criticised.

He is learning his new role, as long as we see signs that he is adapting to the role from now till the end of the season, I firmly believe he can make it in the role.

If he keeps going hot and cold, we have a problem.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

As much stick as OGS gets these days, his impact on Rashford and Martial has been and will continue to be great. Due to his own playing experience, OGS can spot weaknesses in their games and fix them. Simultaneously, he’s generally a positive character, somebody who pushes rather than tears you apart and particularly for younger players, I think that’s a better fit. At least in Rashford’s and Martial’s case, as different as they are.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Firminho has never scored more than 15 goals in his career and that was 2 years back. Means , if we get someone who is a goal scorer on the right (like Rashford of the left or a matured Greenwood) Martial would be the missing piece
on the centre.

When he is asked to stay as 9 in the box, his skillset is being under utilized . Anyways, I trust Ole in this since he himself was a striker. Dont know if Martial has that pure instinct as a 9 though.

Mark Pawelek

I agree with this. As much as I think Martial has been very overrated by a substantial section of fans, he's much better than he's currently showing. In a well-functioning system he'd be a dangerous player. Perhaps the right manager could even coax improvements from his game. I still think (based on zero evidence to be fair) that Pep for example could do something with him.
He can also be a dangerous player in a sub-par functioning system. It's called finishing and he's actually our best. No way am I happy to see him leave for less than £80m+; and no one's paying that, so he stays.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Injured. :mad:

Solskjær: "He [Martial] didn't feel right after training. He walked off. He's injured. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I don't know how long it will be." #mulive [mutv]

Chairman Steve

In OGS vague terms this season, that’ll probably be about 3 months. Fecking better not be though.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Injured. :mad:

Solskjær: "He [Martial] didn't feel right after training. He walked off. He's injured. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I don't know how long it will be." #mulive [mutv]
Awful news with the fixtures we have coming up and Ighalo not being in great shape. Bruno will be crucial for us scoring goals the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.