6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baneofthegame

His pressing and work rate have improved so much this year, basically got us the second goal from it and hit the bar from another.

Craig Ward

His workrate was top class - showed some proper no.9 characteristics in some of the build up play.

Was fuming to come off, but he should be mature enough to know the reasons.

Was the right call from Ole.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
LVG and Giggs deserve a lot of credit for buying him, especially after so few pro level games in France.

His progression into a top level no9 has been sporadic and unstructured, for lots of different reasons, and I feared he wouldn’t make it.

But ole’s belief in him, coaching and some self confidence has helped him take the final steps to evolve into a genuine all round no 9.

crossy1686

career ending
His workrate was top class - showed some proper no.9 characteristics in some of the build up play.

Was fuming to come off, but he should be mature enough to know the reasons.

Was the right call from Ole.
He was celebrating Rashford's miss on the bench when he came off :lol:. Love to see some healthy rivalry between strikers

crossy1686

career ending
LVG and Giggs deserve a lot of credit for buying him, especially after so few pro level games in France.

His progression into a top level no9 has been sporadic and unstructured, for lots of different reasons, and I feared he wouldn’t make it.

But ole’s belief in him, coaching and some self confidence has helped him take the final steps to evolve into a genuine all round no 9.
Wasn't it Berbatov who recommended him to United?

UncleBob

An overall mint performance, unlucky not to score. Great workrate for our second goal, great awareness when he won back the ball prior to hitting the bar.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Complete striker. Ran the show up front against Aston Villa. Speed, strength, vision, passing, technical ability, clever runs, finishing, heading, dribbling he has all the attributes now. He can still become a little bit more lethal when taking his chances, and he'll score a lot more.

pacifictheme

Thought he was great last night. Loved how angry he got with not scoring and being taken off. Seems to have really changed. Long may it continue.

Lj82

Weird towards the end of the game that Drury and Beglin were constructing this idea that he was unhappy to be subbed because of his goal competition with Rashford, even to the point that they were joking Martial didn't want Rashford to take the free kick. It's such bollocks. Martial didn't want to come off because he felt Villa were there for the taking and he wants to increase his own goal tally, not because he's trying to beat his teammate's record.
They probably didn't see how Martial set up Rashford against Sheffield United when he could have gone for glory.

Foxbatt

So Woody was right? He was the one who refused to sell Martial. He has all the talent and if we get Sancho, is it a front three of Sancho, Martial and Greenwood?

Raven

So Woody was right? He was the one who refused to sell Martial. He has all the talent and if we get Sancho, is it a front three of Sancho, Martial and Greenwood?
That the way I see it going if we land Sancho.

Foxbatt

That the way I see it going if we land Sancho.
I think so too but it's the combination of all three that's scaring the defenses. The pace of Rashford, the trickery of Martial and of course the scoring of Greenwood. Greenwood is on a different level at this moment in time but on a one to one if Martial doesn't score I get disappointed.

Raven

I think so too but it's the combination of all three that's scaring the defenses. The pace of Rashford, the trickery of Martial and of course the scoring of Greenwood. Greenwood is on a different level at this moment in time but on a one to one if Martial doesn't score I get disappointed.
It's a magnificent front 3, really enjoy watching them do their thing.

Walters_19_MuFc

Workrate is not something most would associate with Martial, but the second goal was all his doing. Used great strength to knock Mings off the ball and found a pass to start a counter. This happened a number of times too, which shows that he, along with the rest of the team, is buying into Ole's high energy philosophy.

Was a shame he didn't get a goal. Always feel sad for him when he gets taken off without scoring a goal. You can tell he's certainly peed off too, but another game where he contributed and is continuing to grow into that complete 9 role.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeap. Rubbish commentaries.. but to be fair they are just giving their opinions.. a rubbish delusional one at that.

Martial have also been feeding Rashford with good "assists-potential" passes, no way that's a competition.

Agree that Martial looks pissed because he is on fire that game and almost score, play longer and he could've score. He's disappointed with himself and I'm sure also with Ole for not giving him more times. I can't agree with Ole this time with how he's managing Martial. Not the first time he takes out Martial late game and often let Rashford stay longer even if he performed badly. Then again maybe that's tough-love treatment.

Martial is our main #9 but he's not really being treated that way if I'm being honest.

Let him score one to get the momentum and confidence ongoing, only then sub him out.
I don't see it that way at all. I think Ole considers Martial one of his most important player that's in form. Rashford is clearly still a bit off the pace and would benefit from more game time. So I would argue he is being treated this way because he is the main #9 but also because he is the only one. He's too important to risk an injury in a game that's already won, and it's also going to make him that much more determined to get a goal next game. I think it was very smart management by Ole, even though I also would have liked to see him get a goal, he was knocking on the door.

Sylar

Martial really impressed me at Villa. He did all the dirty work you need your centre forward to do: Occupied defenders, scrapped for 50/50s, held up the ball when pressured. His role in our second goal was a textbook example of strong centre forward play. That aggression, that fight and bite, Wayne Rooney would've been proud of that. Martial has always had the flicks and tricks, thrills and skills but this season he's added that ugly stuff you need from your #9. Really pleased to see him prove me, and others who doubted he could be a proper striker, so very wrong.
Summed up well. Think he was unlucky not to score when he hit the bar, but other than that, it was a great game.
Also nice that he was not happy to come off, but with the game done, glad he did to get his rest

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I actually loved this, and Ole completely got how he felt as well.

I love that interaction between Ole and Martial. Our previous manager would have been upset for no good reason.

Red_Aaron

Oles turning him into a proper goal scorer

Imagine someone with his talent taking on the determination of someone like ruud or Ole for that matter

I loved seeing him so angry at the substitution, hope they keep the fire nicely stoked, Southampton beware

emdee

One of his best performances of the season. His play leading up to the Greenwood goal was incredible.

He looks like a completely different player.

Strelok

I love this, shows 2 things.

1. Martial was disgusted not to get his goal.
2. Ole is delighted with Martial's performance.
Yep, love it he showed how much he cares. Ole has done a fantastic job.

I still remember the time people questioning his attitude and commitment.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
One of his best performances of the season. His play leading up to the Greenwood goal was incredible.

He looks like a completely different player.
It was a fantastic performance and he does look like he’s heading in the right direction. Good to see and Ole has to take a lot of credit for that. His man management is looking top drawer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I actually loved this, and Ole completely got how he felt as well.

He praised him in the post match, fans might complain about Ole for anything but his man management is just top class.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He praised him in the post match, fans might complain about Ole for anything but his man management is just top class.
Yep, Things like this is why Ole will succeed in the long run. I never had any fears in his man management skills but worried tactically - but he seems to be improving the side in every position now which is all we can ask.

It helps him seeing football from a footballers perspective, rather than a "i'm the boss you do what I say" position.

He knew Martial was pissed but probably said "sorry Tony but it's for your own good we need you fit", he will have been annoyed for a few minutes then fine once he cooled off.

As others have said that sort of attitude shows he WANTS TO SCORE which is exactly he mentality we've wanted from Martial. Ole is turning him into a goal scoring monster :devil:

roonster09

Scout
Yep, Things like this is why Ole will succeed in the long run. I never had any fears in his man management skills but worried tactically - but he seems to be improving the side in every position now which is all we can ask.

It helps him seeing football from a footballers perspective, rather than a "i'm the boss you do what I say" position.

He knew Martial was pissed but probably said "sorry Tony but it's for your own good we need you fit", he will have been annoyed for a few minutes then fine once he cooled off.

As others have said that sort of attitude shows he WANTS TO SCORE which is exactly he mentality we've wanted from Martial. Ole is turning him into a goal scoring monster :devil:
That's the biggest change. He sees from players point of view too which makes it easier to manage. Also even for fringe players he gave enough chances to prove themselves, now that they didn't, he has dropped them completely.

roonster09

Scout
"I've been very pleased with Anthony. You can see his work rate, his foundation. There were some stats last season on our strikers, and he's really taken up the challenge and answered the questions I asked of work rate. We have to start from the front with our pressing, and he's really taken that on board.
From Ole's interview.

RooneyLegend

I'm sick and tired of people questioning him. He's clearly improving and will continue to do so. The base talent is so high it doesn't make sense to even consider getting rid of him.

yfoFC

I was one of the original Martial FC squad back in Jose's tenure and I'm sure am glad to see his fortune change on this forum and the outside world.

Even as a fan I could never have foreseen this new drive he's been playing with and always imagined him as an Ozil like player (back in his prime) and I'm pleasantly surprised by the direction his game has gone

I really want him to hit the late 20's goal range and kick on to 30 goal a season striker which on the back of his eagerness to score these days isn't a far off dream..

Martial to score a brace against Southampton, you heard it here first..:cool:

Rolaholic

Loving the mentality,always been on the side of having another young talented forward like a Sancho can only be beneficial to our young front 3 and not detrimental.

All these lads are up for the competition and I'd expect them all to continue to up their game. Especially as we've just seen how a single new injection of real quality into the squad has already paid so much dividends for their developement.

AFC NimbleThumb

Loving the mentality,always been on the side of having another young talented forward like a Sancho can only be beneficial to our young front 3 and not detrimental.

All these lads are up for the competition and I'd expect them all to continue to up their game. Especially as we've just seen how a single new injection of real quality into the squad has already paid so much dividends for their developement.
Tony saying the right things.

[I take it this was google translate cause from what I’ve heard his English is as good as my French]

yfoFC

Can't believe how much Fernandez has had an impact and never thought it was possible till him and Van D.

Getting Sancho is a must and can't understand the mentality of people saying we don't need him 'cause of greenwood.. Squad depth is key

Seems the boys are saying and thinking the right things, now it's just down to keep on showing us on the pitch.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

I wouldn't want any other striker in Europe right now.

Stepping up to the challenge shows he has the mental side as much as the skill he has. He's been a proper number 9 this year (up yours Jose)

I look forward to seeing him smash the end of this season and being up there with the top scorers next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.