6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Quality, quality player. He looked like he was going to make something happen every time he received the ball tonight, which is some achievement given how uninspiring the play around him was for large parts of the game.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They still believed he wasn't a striker and could not play this role. Imagine that.
Some of us did say that ironically Martial's strength as a striker were exactly what Lukaku couldn't do and was asked to do by Mourinho. Martial has always been good with his back to goal, he has never been a "run behind the defense" striker but people for some reason refused to see it, he has always been a goalthreat around and inside the box too. So I will never understand how people convinced themselves that he was better as a winger, he can do it but he is clearly a lesser player when on the wing.

InfiniteBoredom

Martial FC we feastin’ :devil:

If I’m being completely fair here, I’ve always known that he has the strength to play CF for us since the moment he held off two Liverpool players on his debut, but the level of physicality in his game at the moment is off the chart, shrugging off people like prime Drogba.

OleBoiii

How long is it going to be "these days" though. He's been consistently scoring and assisting since pre lockdown. He was already on form since we got Bruno and after lockdown he took it up a notch. This isn't "these days". This is Martial. A consistent Martial.
I should have bolded the "so" in "so good".

He's been good for a while. The last couple of weeks he's been world class(or close)

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He was the man of the match for me. What a player we have. Who would have thought he would getter better with experience? I mean the way people treat young players these days is quite unfair. Not a lot of player are finished article by 23-24.

Even Rashford will improve. We have some talent in our striker department

RedStarUnited

Has Martial bulked up a bit? Esp. since the break, he has been dominating defenders even with his back to the goal. Its becoming more and more clear with every match that he can properly lead the line for us.
He was always strong with his back to goal, its just annoying that it took everyone so long to see it. He was never easily shrugged off.

Skills

Snitch
Getting very consistent now
Always loved him but HEbis now playing at a consistently high level
He was always consistent. When he plays games he scores goals. Regularly.

He's never been the type of player who'd fill his boots by banging in hat tricks against cannon fodder. That's the only thing missing - if he starts banging a few more hat tricks in, he'd be a goal a game striker.

Rossa

You want to know something, he really isnt doing anything different than what he was these past few years. The only difference is we have better players around him who can get him more involved. Its how you get the best out of your star players.

Undecided between him and rashford for MOTM.
Not true. He runs much more. He presses more. He runs in behind more. He’s much more on his game - looks eager to play and score.

Rossa

Å
Yup pretty much this, but for some reason you have people all of a sudden prasing him for the things he's been doing since he came here. For those that watch the game more closely he is always making those sprints behind the defense but like in the past, our MF's aren't sending the ball.
didn’t somone just post a stat proving that he runs much mote in behind this season than before?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Tony Martial is becoming the striker I never thought he could be. So impressed by him. Killed the game by putting his body on the line, again. Brilliant.

Silas

What has changed? A striker actually played as a striker.
Exactly. This isn't some miracle.

We can go back to Burnley away three years ago to see a what he can do when you play him centrally.

"Martial FC" were screaming for him to be given a chance for a reason.

Last edited:

Fracture90

Å

didn’t somone just post a stat proving that he runs much mote in behind this season than before?
Because we're actually pressing now, something we didn't do much under Mourinho and under Ole when he first came in due to our fitness levels.

Drainy

Tony Martial is becoming the striker I never thought he could be. So impressed by him. Killed the game by putting his body on the line, again. Brilliant.

Absolutely and there were plenty of us in the same boat.

Imagine if he reaches 20 league goals without a single penalty..

JPRouve

Scout
Å

It's a function of the role, you have more opportunities to run in behind as a striker than has a wide player particularly when you are required to tightly follow your fullback.

bsCallout

He's incredible at everything required of a no.9 and he isn't given the credit for it. His strength and hold up is phenomenal.

Amazing player. First name of the team sheet at the moment.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Not true. He runs much more. He presses more. He runs in behind more. He’s much more on his game - looks eager to play and score.
It's TRUE though. You play Daniel James on the right wing whipping crosses in at full speed doesnt bring anything to Martial's natural game.

For once he has 2 clinical forwards on either side of him, able to very narrow to the point all 3 interlink and can even cross and occupy each others spaces. He has always had the first touch, the linking ability - but playing a touchline winger on the right creates acres of space between Martial and James in comparison to Greenwood whose made idea is to not create but just finish a chance just like Rashford.

Martial seems like he has more energy because for the first time the team is built to his style and he is thriving with confidence doing his natural game- much like no one rated Firmino until Mane and Salah started playing.

You add Bruno and Pogba giving the creativity a clinical front 3 needs - they are able to be useful to each other whether they score or not.

JPRouve

Scout
Even Solskjær had commented that he does this more now and presses more.
Because the role is different, that's what Ole ask him to do. Under Mourinho our strikers weren't used the same way and he wasn't used a striker anyway.

Rossa

Because we're actually pressing now, something we didn't do much under Mourinho and under Ole when he first came in due to our fitness levels.
And Ole commented that his fitness leveld are much better now and still improving. Martial has always had the tools, but he has been a little lazy before.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Martial n Rashford have really come on under Ole it can't be denied. They have both got us 4 pts from the last 2 games that our overall performance barely deserved.

Goal tallies for both players very encouraging. Long may it continue.

Rajma

World class. Credit to Ole for bringing that bit of fight from Martial that was always lacking a bit imo. Just superb now.

Fracture90

And Ole commented that his fitness leveld are much better now and still improving. Martial has always had the tools, but he has been a little lazy before.
Lazy and attitude are two of the most generic, untrue and overall dogshiit excuses that were ever used to criticize Martial. And it all stems from Mourinho's acolytes.

E-mal

Just saw an article from quoting annitlaina newspaper that Inter feel they can entice us to do a deal swap with Martial and Skriniar.
You've got to laugh at the temerity of these journos or the club to even think this was an idea.
For the whole of the Inter team we wouldn't swap.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Just saw an article from quoting annitlaina newspaper that Inter feel they can entice us to do a deal swap with Martial and Skriniar.
You've got to laugh at the temerity of these journos or the club to even think this was an idea.
For the whole of the Inter team we wouldn't swap.

They read forums like redcafe. If you see any future lineup, a lot of people drop Martial. Some people have made up their mind against him. So journalist think they can get away with such stories

yfoFC

I feel he is the man to lead the France team right now as he is a better footballer and striker than Giroud (good as he has been for the national team).

I hope Deschamps does the right team and makes Martial his number one striker..

DannyDee

Lazy and attitude are two of the most generic, untrue and overall dogshiit excuses that were ever used to criticize Martial. And it all stems from Mourinho's acolytes.
Mourinho showed no faith in him, took his number away, and then moved him out of position. Glad to see what he can do now that he's used consistently as a #9.

Status
Not open for further replies.