6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CiroDiMarzio

I'm so impressed with his progression under Solskjaer. The talent was always obvious but sometimes I think it's even more limiting for a player to be lacking the sort of hunger, discipline and desire you need to make it to the top level. He's added so much to his game in the last year and he's really turning into a complete footballer. He's working really hard off the ball, he's gotten much stronger, he looks hungry to score and win, and most importantly his level of performance has been far more stable from week to week. He's clearly not among the very elite strikers at the moment and that's obvious from the stats, but if he continues on his current trajectory he absolutely will be in the very near future.

Reactions: Ødegaard

The Purley King

Absolutely electric last night after a pretty mediocre first half (wasn't alone with a poor first half though). Very unlucky not to have 2 or 3 goals.
It was also very noticeable that his workrate has improved. Even in 32 degree heat last night he was still making runs well into extra time when others were wilting.
Not sure what has changed, but hope he keeps this up!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s our most important player. No joke, he’s more important to us than Bruno & Pogba. If Bruno goes out, Fred comes in & Pogba goes to 10. If Pogba goes out Fred comes in. If Martial goes out either Ighalo comes in or Rashford moves to 9 (eww) & James comes in. The downgrade is enormous.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Kept trying. He keeps moving in around the box.

Hopefully Rashford improves for the next game.

Arka_BleedingRed

An honest question, when on form and performing consistently, who amongst the elite strikers(excluding Ronaldo and Messi) do you see better than Martial in terms of completeness and well roundedness? On his best day, Tony can do everything to a high level, score, create, heading, strong hold up, crisp link up, dribbling like knife through butter. Lewandowski and Aguero are better obviously and more consistent scorers but lack the X-factor in terms of technical skills, Benzema is similar to Martial, though a tad less clinical. But, I wouldn't take anyone over Tony at his best. Reminds of Suarez's last season at Liverpool and first 2 seasons at Barcelona, where he looked like he could it all.

Revan

Assumptionman
He is our best player IMO. At this stage, I think we will miss him more than Pogba or Bruno.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Has been very good since the restart and is adding parts to his game. We don't always get the ball to him enough but he's looking hungry again. When people talk about consistency this is the Martial we want to see because the ability is there. Now we have the set up that can get more from him and on another night he gets a few goals but it's great! CF is Martials position to lose but even playing a bit deeper, his ability to take a player on is something we want to see more off. He's as direct and composed as they come. I think that goes for him sometimes but not always. I think sometimes after beating a few, if the chance to shoot arises take it if possible. But I also think in the first half we played to slow and that don't suit Martial. Even if teams sit deep, we're now better at breaking teams down and place is important in all areas of the pitch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some of the dribblers was Messiesque, what a player. Wish he scored few goals too, especially when he took on so many defenders, would have been contender for goal of the tournament.

E-mal

His value is minimum 150M
You say it as if United will ever contemplate selling him unless the player forces it.

I know what you mean though, he is better currently than all those 100m players moving around.

We really need some very good wingers to complement him.

pascell

He seems to have taken the challenge of him vs Rashford for top scorer very seriously. I was one of his biggest critics this season and he seems to have improved massively and has added that bit of tenacity and aggression to his game. His dribbling, hold up and link up play has been brilliant post the restart. Hopefully he keeps it up, stays injury free and he hits 100 career goals with us next season.

Skills

Snitch
He seems to have taken the challenge of him vs Rashford for top scorer very seriously. I was one of his biggest critics this season and he seems to have improved massively and has added that bit of tenacity and aggression to his game. His dribbling, hold up and link up play has been brilliant post the restart. Hopefully he keeps it up, stays injury free and he hits 100 career goals with us next season.
I don't think he's that bothered. He's still incredibly unselfish - a bit too much for my liking

starman

I've said it before, theres a player in there to rival and maybe surpass Salah & Mane level. If everything comes together for him I think we will see several 30+ goal seasons for United

Infestissumam

completely unplayable at times. He's a joy to watch and becoming a great all-around #9 quickly.

Too bad he had to deal with a manager who didn't know how to use him for 2 years.

The Irish Connection

What a goal that would have been if he pulled the trigger after beating 4 players. Can’t wait until he scores one like that again.

Raven

He's our best player, it's as simple as that. I can no longer spot any weaknesses in his game.

Quinzaine

At what point do we accept what we're starting to see week in week out? His physical condition, the mental switch, the coaching, the experience of having played as a No.9 for a year now and it's become clear that he's our best player. This isn't just a good run of form, since we've had our best team out from when we restarted there hasn't been a player in our team who has performed as well as he has. He's our talisman right now, moreso than Bruno, Rashford or Pogba.

lex talionis

Anthony has definitely raised his game since the restart and some of what we saw yesterday boggled the mind. Once he raises his finishing to the level of ability to beat defenders, the man is an all-worlder.

Greenwood is the better natural finisher, but he doesn't have the ability, yet, to beat 2-3 defenders with 2-3 touches that Martial has.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
No doubt his head is in the game more than probably at any time in his career. He’s added some proper physicality too. Good to see. Always had massive potential and it does look like he’s beginning to hit it.

Let’s hope this is the new normal for him, we’ll reap the benefits for the next few years if so!

Great to see.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He's our best player, it's as simple as that. I can no longer spot any weaknesses in his game.
Headers but that something that can be worked on.

It's amazing how well he is playing as a 9 but with license to roam around and play like playmaker too. Run of games, confidence from coach, good management really makes such a change. I said it few times already, I wouldn't swap him for any 9 in the league (Not saying he is the best btw)

Skills

Snitch
Actually not bad at if he gets his head on it (see Chelsea game).

It's his general movement which still needs work - he doesn't really have that top level movement of someone like Aguero who somehow always manages to find himself on the end of the ball. If he can develop that he would be unstoppable.

RooneyLegend

He's genius but he honestly had to shoot, pity he didn't score those chances as had he done so it would have shockwaves throughout the footballing world. The only other striker I've seen do those things is the Brazilian Ronaldo.

mancan92

He's genius but he honestly had to shoot, pity he didn't score those chances as had he done so it would have shockwaves throughout the footballing world. The only other striker I've seen do those things is the Brazilian Ronaldo.
Yep that's who he looks like at the moment. He burst of speed is ridiculous and his close control is unplayable. If he can finish he will be the best striker in the world

Raven

Headers but that something that can be worked on.

It's amazing how well he is playing as a 9 but with license to roam around and play like playmaker too. Run of games, confidence from coach, good management really makes such a change. I said it few times already, I wouldn't swap him for any 9 in the league (Not saying he is the best btw)
He's good at heading, could probably get on the end of more crosses but we don't cross a whole pile. Still scored 2 headers this season though.

RooneyLegend

Yep that's who he looks like at the moment. He burst of speed is ridiculous and his close control is unplayable. If he can finish he will be the best striker in the world
Yeah, he just doesn't have the ball striking the Brazilian had. He has worked on it though. He seems to want to create the perfect opportunity to score when as Ronaldo shoot the moment the opportunity presented itself. He's still under construction and he's already pretty damn good.

Raven

I thought that backheel to Mata after his run late on was absolutely filthy, his awareness is incredible.

jem

I'm so impressed with his progression under Solskjaer. The talent was always obvious but sometimes I think it's even more limiting for a player to be lacking the sort of hunger, discipline and desire you need to make it to the top level. He's added so much to his game in the last year and he's really turning into a complete footballer. He's working really hard off the ball, he's gotten much stronger, he looks hungry to score and win, and most importantly his level of performance has been far more stable from week to week. He's clearly not among the very elite strikers at the moment and that's obvious from the stats, but if he continues on his current trajectory he absolutely will be in the very near future.
Goldbridge was talking about this today, and was saying he's never understood where this idea of Martial's lacking hunger came from. I also struggle to understand this. Yes, he was inconsistent over his first few years, which is hardly surprising, given his age and the fact that he was working under two very different managers, one of whom has historically mistrusted young players of Martial's ilk. To me, it's obvious that he's just an introvert, and I fail to understand why that is used as a stick to beat him. Paul Scholes was like that, and it never seemed to be an issue with him.

Quinzaine

Van Persie is so spot on. For all his technical and physical attributes, Martial's football IQ hardly ever gets mentioned, his decision making and vision is so impressive. He's one of our best players at linking up with others even in deeper areas of the pitch. There's always been a superstar in there and it's coming together so nicely.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

Van Persie is so spot on. For all his technical and physical attributes, Martial's football IQ hardly ever gets mentioned, his decision making and vision is so impressive. He's one of our best players at linking up with others even in deeper areas of the pitch. There's always been a superstar in there and it's coming together so nicely.
This is why I was rolling my eyes reading people claim that he has poor decision making. I've always looked at such posters as people who don't know much about football and are probably just regurgitating nonsense they read online. Since his first season with us Martial has always had great decision making and as mentioned by RVP(finally someone on TV did), he's always been aware of what's around him hence why he's always tended to pass around the box rather than swing shots at every chance.

I hear people say Martial is unselfish which is true and that's also because of his awareness. Martial usually spots players in better position than him and will pass rather than be 1 minded and just go for goal even at the slightest sniff of goal.

His all roundness and ability to adapt is what makes him such a great talent. This is also the reason why I'm expecting him to explode next season and to bang loads of goals. He's had his first full season as a striker and has started adapted to a few things. by next season I expect his experience as a striker to have increased which together with his ability to adapt will see him play that role at a higher level than he did this season.

Martial has the ability to put both ridiculous goals and assists numbers as a striker. This is something very rare, especially among strikers. Heck with Greenwood in the side I can already see his assist numbers skyrocket next season because even this season alone he made way to many key passes for his assists numbers to only be 6(which is highest among strikers in the league this season).

Quinzaine

This is why I was rolling my eyes reading people claim that he has poor decision making. I've always looked at such posters as people who don't know much about football and are probably just regurgitating nonsense they read online. Since his first season with us Martial has always had great decision making and as mentioned by RVP(finally someone on TV did), he's always been aware of what's around him hence why he's always tended to pass around the box rather than swing shots at every chance.

I hear people say Martial is unselfish which is true and that's also because of his awareness. Martial usually spots players in better position than him and will pass rather than be 1 minded and just go for goal even at the slightest sniff of goal.

His all roundness and ability to adapt is what makes him such a great talent. This is also the reason why I'm expecting him to explode next season and to bang loads of goals. He's had his first full season as a striker and has started adapted to a few things. by next season I expect his experience as a striker to have increased which together with his ability to adapt will see him play that role at a higher level than he did this season.

Martial has the ability to put both ridiculous goals and assists numbers as a striker. This is something very rare, especially among strikers. Heck with Greenwood in the side I can already see his assist numbers skyrocket next season because even this season alone he made way to many key passes for his assists numbers to only be 6(which is highest among strikers in the league this season).
I can''t wait to watch him next season, he's now got the experience of the role of no.9, good players are finally around him after all these years and he looks physically immense (especially compared to how he was from Nov 2019 until lockdown where I thought he was too heavy). Everything is lining up nicely for him to have such a good season. His tally of 18 goals in all competitions since December is bettered only by Aubameyang in England who has 19.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I imagine he's getting back in the French NT, and if Sancho comes he will have both him to play with at the club, and Mbappe on the NT, he could get even more exposure and the narrative could finally head in the right direction with the kind of form he's in. I can't see how he's not in that Euro 2021 squad if he's fit.

tjposhea

He’s our most important player. No joke, he’s more important to us than Bruno & Pogba. If Bruno goes out, Fred comes in & Pogba goes to 10. If Pogba goes out Fred comes in. If Martial goes out either Ighalo comes in or Rashford moves to 9 (eww) & James comes in. The downgrade is enormous.
Greenwood?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Greenwood?
I suppose he could play centrally with James down the right. He can’t play with his back to goal or link up like Martial though. We don’t have anyone who can so what Martial can do, he’s world class. Rashford is very good & Greenwood is potentially world class in the future, but right now Martial is levels above both.

432JuanMata

This isn’t hating on England or English people. But what is up with pundits saying we need a number 9 or we can replace him etc. Are they really that biased? If he was English would they be saying this ?The guy has not only improved his goal scoring his all round play especially with his back to goal(a lot doubted he could do it) has been amazing.
i still think he would need a few more goals if we our to compete over a season but if he is fully fit most of the season I feel this is a cert.Just remember for over half a season his supply was off Lingard Mata and Peirera he has really stepped up since Bruno’s arrival and Pogba coming back.

Not making this a him vs Marcus thread but he is the one looking better(though Marcus is only coming back off a bad injury).

Status
Not open for further replies.