Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

amsoUG

From what I’ve taken in the last page is that the same poster has said that Martial is a better player than “this Cavani dude“ because he’s more skilful on the ball and that big clubs will have to eventually phase out counter-attacks.
Oh I also forgot if you’re a hardworking CF you should feck off to Stoke.

Clarity: Martial or any other technical forward is my preference to the old school types. Relying majorly on counter-attacks is and will remain for weaker teams who would prefer to play without the ball - this does not mean that a big team cannot play on the break.
Oh, yes, hard work with limited technique is what I expect in forwards of lower teams who play with target men.

People tend to say we can never win anything with Martial and Rash - but I have seen Portugal win the Euros with Nani as a striker, England had the top scorer in the world cup and still came out 4th yet France won the world cup with a striker who never had a shot on goal the whole tournament, Liverpool had a breathtaking season with Firmino, Man City is doing great with Jesus. So at the end of the day, we all just have preferences and opinions and no one can absolutely be right about what can or cannot work.

OldTrevil

Their heights are all on the internet. You can google them.

Shaw's 6ft 1 btw so is taller than Cavani and AWB (6 ft) who are taller than Martial and Greenwood (both about 5-11).
Not everything on the internet is true and I'm not really that invested in this topic to go out hunting for different height records. I cerrtainly know they can be way off, for example back in my school days I've been on teams with guys I was taller on the pitch but who were listed as same height on the team records, and sometimes even 1 or 2 cm taller. On the pitch standing side by side with Martial and Greenwood, Cavani looks shorter and that's enough to make the call.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Not everything on the internet is true and I'm not really that invested in this topic to go out hunting for different height records. I cerrtainly know they can be way off, for example back in my school days I've been on teams with guys I was taller on the pitch but who were listed as same height on the team records, and sometimes even 1 or 2 cm taller. On the pitch standing side by side with Martial and Greenwood, Cavani looks shorter and that's enough to make the call.
Ignoring all truth and stats because I don’t know the real answer I just laughed when you said cavani looks shorter than Greenwood, seems to me that’s wrong from what ive unknowingly observed

Withnail

Well you seem to think Shaw is shorter again so that shows how good the eye test is.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Clarity: Martial or any other technical forward is my preference to the old school types. Relying majorly on counter-attacks is and will remain for weaker teams who would prefer to play without the ball - this does not mean that a big team cannot play on the break.
Oh, yes, hard work with limited technique is what I expect in forwards of lower teams who play with target men.

People tend to say we can never win anything with Martial and Rash - but I have seen Portugal win the Euros with Nani as a striker, England had the top scorer in the world cup and still came out 4th yet France won the world cup with a striker who never had a shot on goal the whole tournament, Liverpool had a breathtaking season with Firmino, Man City is doing great with Jesus. So at the end of the day, we all just have preferences and opinions and no one can absolutely be right about what can or cannot work.
Cavani played all his career in Serie A for Napoli and French league for PSG where they play against parked buses week in week out. If you think Cavani is counter attacking CF, you couldn't be more wrong. If you think cavani is technically limited or not good then it's even more wrong than your assumption that Cavani is suited to counter attacking football only.

Hammondo

Cavani played all his career in Serie A for Napoli and French league for PSG where they play against parked buses week in week out. If you think Cavani is counter attacking CF, you couldn't be more wrong. If you think cavani is technically limited or not good then it's even more wrong than your assumption that Cavani is suited to counter attacking football only.
I agree hes proven to be very smart and good with the ball. Hes not someone who rushes things or tries to force direct attacks all the time. I would say hes the opposite.

OldTrevil

Ignoring all truth and stats because I don’t know the real answer I just laughed when you said cavani looks shorter than Greenwood, seems to me that’s wrong from what ive unknowingly observed
Whatever, we'll easily see who's right next time they're side by side

Well you seem to think Shaw is shorter again so that shows how good the eye test is.
I didn't say Shaw is shorter, he's the only one out of our starting defence that I wasn't sure of being taller than Cavani so I excluded him. You might be right that Shaw is taller as well. When posting I didn't remember them side by side off the top of my head, that's all.

amsoUG

Thanks for replying respectfully (without abuse). My point is that he is more of a tradition CF who likes to play without the ball. His decision making, awareness and one-touch passing are a beauty but his first touch, close control, control, comfort on the ball in tight spaces, et all are all sub-par from elite but still most pro.

The counter-attacking remark was for a team set-up in line with playing without the ball.

Scrutinise his activity in most of our games, compare how active he is when we have the ball vs when we don't have the ball. He is always buzzing when we are without the ball. Correct me If I am wrong but this is inverted emphasis.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Thanks for replying respectfully (without abuse). My point is that he is more of a tradition CF who likes to play without the ball. His decision making, awareness and one-touch passing are a beauty but his first touch, close control, control, comfort on the ball in tight spaces, et all are all sub-par from elite but still most pro.

The counter-attacking remark was for a team set-up in line with playing without the ball.

Scrutinise his activity in most of our games, compare how active he is when we have the ball vs when we don't have the ball. He is always buzzing when we are without the ball. Correct me If I am wrong but this is inverted emphasis.
:lol: So his one-touch passing is good but his first touch is poor? Explain to me how that's possible.

He's not the greatest player in small spaces, but you are massively underrating his technical ability. When was he ever "just a target man"?. When he was playing with Zlatan who averaged one pass a season to Cavani? Stoke would be thrilled to have him, no disagreement there :)

Edit: Just noticed we're derailing the Martial thread. Tag me in the Cavani thread if you want to discuss further.

Habs

Needs to be sold this summer. Doesn't bring anything to the team really, if we want to push for the title cant have players like him around

el3mel

Can't score for shit.

Keep playing him and subbing off Greenwood though.

Did great for the goal, looks happier when he can touch the ball more often.

The miss at the very end though, story of his season really, in previous years you'd back him 9 times out of 10 to bury that.

AshRK

I thought bar his finishing he was pretty decent. Hold up play was good.

snk123

Comfortably our best attacker today. By a mile.
You’re talking to people who have no football IQ. He didn’t put a foot wrong except the last kick where he should have finished.

DickDastardly

We need to cut our losses.

He's still young. Maybe someone who doesn't really watch us would take him.

Maybe?

I don't know....

Nah, we're stuck with another dead weight.

Quinzaine

I thought bar his finishing he was pretty decent. Hold up play was good.
he was good, nothing exceptional but in a pretty flat team performance i thought he was sharp and the best of our attackers. But of course people are going to jump on him for his miss in the 120th minute.

What exactly did Greenwood do?
What exactly did Martial do?

I mean, it wasn't exactly the evening to judge attackers on what they "exactly did" if you want goals & chances created. I think we all can agree Rashford was the poorest of the 3 but he actually gave a beautiful assist, so does he win in the "what he exactly did" debate?

Kag

His finishing this season is just bizarre. It’s like the footballing version of Space Jam. It was the quality that he had when in the box, even when playing poorly. It’s just vanished.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not great. But also at least he somewhat worked hard (kind of), his hold up play was actually really good, his touch and strength were good, but a real lack of confidence with his shooting/finishing/passing and general running with the ball. A few one v ones where before he would take his man on easily, didn't even try today.

He'll be fine... just going through one of those seasons. Not sure if he'll ever be good enough to start mind you, unlikely, but very good as a rotational attacker, 4th man for the front 3. You need some quality depth anyway. People here just want to get rid when a player doesn't fulfill potential, not realizing that you need a bench/depth/competition.

rooney2009

Thought he was ok today
A lot of people just don’t like him and we can’t change that
But He was our best forward today

Raven

I mean, I not surprised you think that as you can't say a bad word about him. He was fine tonight, some decent hold up, the excellent direct run with the ball for the goal was his highlight, but I thought Greenwood was clearly the best United attacker.
Martial was easily our best attacker today, constantly holding up the ball and linking play, lots of runs in behind and tried to make things happen. His miss in the 120th minutes doesn't take away from the fact that it was a pretty good overall performance. Greenwood had a couple of nice touches and dribbles but he wasn't as involved.

Habs

How was that a good performance? Seems like the standard must be pretty low.

What does he consistently do that is considered good? Passing is awful, can't seem to finish anything at the moment, never beats a man consistently in a game and the worst part is his overall effort on the pitch has always been poor.

Would he still be around in City or Liverpool's team's over the last few seasons? Klopp and Pep would've got rid of him a long time ago. We need to upgrade on him if we want to challenge on all fronts, its as simple as that.

DickDastardly

Not great. But also at least he somewhat worked hard (kind of), his hold up play was actually really good, his touch and strength were good, but a real lack of confidence with his shooting/finishing/passing and general running with the ball. A few one v ones where before he would take his man on easily, didn't even try today.

He'll be fine... just going through one of those seasons. Not sure if he'll ever be good enough to start mind you, unlikely, but very good as a rotational attacker, 4th man for the front 3. You need some quality depth anyway. People here just want to get rid when a player doesn't fulfill potential, not realizing that you need a bench/depth/competition.
Except he isn't that kind of player.

Mentally.

He's not Chicharito. He's not gonna come on in the 75' minute happy to get a shot and work his ass off.

He's gonna sulk. We've seen it.
He's a primadonna striker who can't finish for shit.

Cut our losses asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.