Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

Same, he kept the ball well enough but he was positioned far too deep, nor did I see any real desire to get in the box to get on the end of crosses, which was disappointing considering the stupidly high line they were using.
Yeah, it looked like that was a tactical decision all game, it was Bruno looking to get in behind and then Mata.

Martialfc

We're having trouble creating chances. Signing Haaland doesn't fix that.
It does haha he’s a number 9 that makes runs. Martial is as static as a lamppost. You can’t make chances for a plant pot that doesn’t move.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Some nice keepy ups. Should still be on the bench on Sunday.
Yeah. Basically this. He’s been a bit better at making the ball stick recently but that’s about it. All the other stuff is missing. He doesn’t make runs in behind and his passing isn’t good enough to play other, more mobile, players through. So the hold up play is all a bit pointless.

Even the stuff he used to be excellent at - dribbling and finishing - seems to have dried up. We certainly have players in much better form in his position. No way should he be starting at the weekend.

Raven

Literally every other attacking player in our team repeatedly made runs in behind their defensive line. To great effect. How the hell could that have been “a tactical decision all game”?!?
Greenwood didn't make many runs in behind though? It was mainly Bruno, similarly, when it was Martial up top, Mata was making most of the runs in behind.

Raven

Not many but a few. Which was noticeably more than Martial’s zero.
So, would you agree that it was largely a tactical decision or not then? As I've said, I want more aggression from him and I certainly wouldn't call it anything more than an acceptable performance but I think the rest of the forwards were tasked with getting in behind, which they did well. I noticed he was getting into good positions for crosses when the ball was out on the right as well while he was on the left but should have been looking to get in behind more, like Rashford and James were doing.

acnumber9

Yeah. Basically this. He’s been a bit better at making the ball stick recently but that’s about it. All the other stuff is missing. He doesn’t make runs in behind and his passing isn’t good enough to play other, more mobile, players through. So the hold up play is all a bit pointless.

Even the stuff he used to be excellent at - dribbling and finishing - seems to have dried up. We certainly have players in much better form in his position. No way should he be starting at the weekend.
That would be the biggest concern. He still has a good first touch but he just looks incapable of beating players currently. And despite all his faults previously, you would back him to score when he got a chance.

I think he just lacks the fire to be better. He’s getting a great wage without having to really work to improve. He’s a slightly worse Anelka. A career that will be very profitable, but short of what it could have been.

Teja

Greenwood didn't make many runs in behind though? It was mainly Bruno, similarly, when it was Martial up top, Mata was making most of the runs in behind.
I don't think that's specific to this game, Bruno does it basically every single game and I think Ole encourages it. Cavani and Bruno have a good understanding where one / both make runs depending on the situation.

Martial's is just a different type of player, he likes drifting left and getting ball to feet + dribbling / playing quick 1-2s than staying forward and making runs in behind all game. Normally this would be fine, but his dribbling ability seems to have gone to shit this season so he looks absolutely terrible when he receives the ball and does nothing productive with it and doesn't put in any effort off the ball either.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
That would be the biggest concern. He still has a good first touch but he just looks incapable of beating players currently. And despite all his faults previously, you would back him to score when he got a chance.

I think he just lacks the fire to be better. He’s getting a great wage without having to really work to improve. He’s a slightly worse Anelka. A career that will be very profitable, but short of what it could have been.
Anelka was actually decent for a fair period, unlike Martial who has roughly 2 seasons of above average performances.

lex talionis

Tony didn't seem all that interested in what was taking place on the pitch. Perhaps he was annoyed at being dropped or perhaps he figured with the result no longer in doubt that there was no point in exerting himself, but whatever his rationale was there was certainly no real effort displayed on his part.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His hold up play was so good but apart from that rest of his game was poor. He doesn't make many runs to get into good positions, he lacks the hunger for goals. I said it few times, he looks so slow compared to last season.

Sylar

Him coming off the bench and swapping with Rashford for a while isn't a bad thing. Can rest both and make both hungry to want to start

Hopefully

OL29

The guy came on with 20 minutes left at 3-0 up yet the usual suspects are still camped in here criticising. Seems a bit obsessive.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Excellent when he came on. Not levelled particularly at Martial, but games like this are where we are at out best. Forwards dropping deep making space for Bruno to run in behind. Wide players coming into the middle and central players going wide, attacking with pace. I haven’t seen the big deal with Cavani. His movement is sometimes great but it hasn’t led to many goals and he hasn’t improved us as a team, in fact for me our game suffers from playing with a target man because it generally means Rashford and whoever else end up playing as wingers. Martial has had a really poor season, if we give up on him I’d rather replace like for like than with a target man.

Godfather

Unbelievable that he actually gets stick for yesterday. Some of his touches were pure sex. Some proper agenda posters.

OL29

Unbelievable that he actually gets stick for yesterday. Some of his touches were pure sex. Some proper agenda posters.
It’s funny because you’ll see the same posters in other threads complaining about the harsh treatment of other players. Hypocrites.

sokol11

Didn't watch the game. It triggers my Martial PTSD whenever I see him near the field. Will never be good enough. Sell. Recoup some money. Buy better forward.

Chairman Steve

He’s getting a lot of faith shown in him. Every time he doesn’t take the opportunity to score or even assist should be another hammer blow to his chances starting in the future

Atheist

He had one good moment with that shot on target. Otherwise, he displayed a complete lack of effort for a #9. Almost seems disinterested and needs a kick up the arse if he wants to survive at the club.

Red_toad

Very poor again today. Looks like he's got zero motivation. Contributed nothing and needs to do better

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Needs a new contract, 5 year deal + 1 year option to extend

After todays performance he's really playing himself into the team again, proving doubters wrong.

white text

Giggs' right foot

I can feel how I'm quickly turning into a massive Martial-hater. Just can't help it. He does nothing. Offers nothing - creates nothing. Would not care one bit even if we sold him to Liverpool, I'm that unbothered by him.

SeanyC

Loved what Jenas said about Greenwood getting into the box quickly when James was on the ball, and martial done none of that...too right he didn’t, brings nothing for us anymore, Rashford was always better on the left. Time is up for Martial me thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.