Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Ps. I've said it before I'd be fine with Martial leaving aslong as we have some player that can play a false 9 type player between 2 inverted forwards. If Bruno or VDB gets to play a game like that before proving it well then Martial's time is completely useless in my eyes.
To be fair, I don't think either Bruno or VDB are that suited to being False 9s. They both seem better at making runs from deep into the box as opposed to starting in the box and dropping deep. Martial is the only player in the squad who is capable of kinda being a False 9, in my opinion.

Vaibhav Raj

Perfect match for him to try and rediscover some confidence and try different things out. With Bruno starting as well, it is not like Martial will be deprived of decent service if he is willing to make good runs and get into good positions.

If he comes out and cannot looked bothered for yet another game, I will be so fecking done. :mad:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
To be fair, I don't think either Bruno or VDB are that suited to being False 9s. They both seem better at making runs from deep into the box as opposed to starting in the box and dropping deep. Martial is the only player in the squad who is capable of kinda being a False 9, in my opinion.
Yeah VDB is more a shadow striker. Bruno isnt a false 9 but i do wonder how many games Martial and Cavani go without scoring and its Bruno that puts the ball in the back of the net. He is always dropping deep as our half for his high work defensive output aswell. His passing is better the more forward he is than when he is back in our own half prone to making a bit of a mistake.

I maybe making it up but is one of the main things with a false 9 that you don't need a number 10 as much because he is kind of doing both a 9 & 10s job? Messi was that, Firmino was that and even in the recent City games I think I saw Foden there or something.

It's just about me valuing Martial a bit until we have someone who can play the role similar to him when he links two inverted forwards up and we look like a fluid team. As good as Haaland may be in putting the ball in the back of the net - I dont necessarily think he is going to come here and make us more fluid.. Having both players ticks a bit of both boxes of the types of strikers we should have in a collection and I say that at a time I've given up as Martial as our starting number 9 for every game in a season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@Rawls

I've been wanting to ask this aswell - who in the world is a known or up and coming higly rated false 9 player that we could get? I dont think they are necessarily easy to find just as much as it's been a hard to find old school traditional number 9 player adapted to the modern game like Haaland too.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Good when he's on the ball but not enough acceleration or runs in behind when he's a 9.

MattofManchester

The fact that he's still getting any minutes at all is criminal.
He's got no desire to work hard for the team at all.
The fact that he threw a fit at the end there when Telles played the ball into space instead of to his feet, because he doesn't want to make a run says it all.

He needs to go at this stage.

el3mel

He's a hopeless case this season. We should stop trying so hard to give him chances waiting for a miracle.

I'm glad though because him getting the full game tonight probably will mean he's out of Chelsea game.

Sylar

That moment near the end when matic goes into the box and crosses, he doesn't move at all until the cross goes in to the only place it can go. He's standing expecting the ball to go through a defender to his feet or something. A bit of movement and a run to the front and he gets a goal

It's frustrating to see him wanting everything to feet

snk123

Was good in an overall abject performance from the team again. Hungry and trying his best to get involved. Can we please have his distance covered stats today?

Ashish Negi

He was our best attacking player tonight and still gets hate. We haven't created any chances and I thought he kept trying to hold the ball and find the space to shot.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
I maybe making it up but is one of the main things with a false 9 that you don't need a number 10 as much because he is kind of doing both a 9 & 10s job? Messi was that, Firmino was that and even in the recent City games I think I saw Foden there or something.
Generally speaking, it's very hard to play a False 9 and a true #10 together mainly because they end up occupying the same space on the pitch and ruin the structure of the attack. If you have Bruno playing behind Martial, it's not quite as problematic because when Martial drops, Bruno charges into the box so the spacing isn't as much of an issue. But in general, I'd say most teams who play a False 9 don't play a true #10.

In terms of finding an actual False 9, that would be very difficult. Ajax used Tadic as a False 9 successfully but that involved shifting him from out wide. Out-and-out False 9s aren't really that commonplace as most teams tend to prefer more traditional CFs so finding a good False 9 will be very difficult. All this kind of makes the issue of replacing Martial very difficult because unless you're willing to not build your attack around Rashford on the left and Greenwood on the right, you'll end up having a surplus of finishers in the team and a deficit of creators, with the spacing being badly impacted as well.

tenpoless

That moment near the end when matic goes into the box and crosses, he doesn't move at all until the cross goes in to the only place it can go. He's standing expecting the ball to go through a defender to his feet or something. A bit of movement and a run to the front and he gets a goal

Almost like it was Lord Lukaku himself.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Yeah. That was extremely disappointed. Looks like he's forgotten how to play centre forward. No striker's instinct on show.

SirScholes

False 9 as in he is just not a striker/footballer that offers anything useless?

SirScholes

He was our best attacking player tonight and still gets hate. We haven't created any chances and I thought he kept trying to hold the ball and find the space to shot.
He was dull and offered his teammates no movement...again
This “he was the best” doesn’t work when all of our attackers were poor haha I also don’t think he was the best, they were all pretty shit

Raven

He played today like he's played all season. Wants the ball at feet, no runs behind defender and one shot on target.
The martial treble
Yawn. Pretty comfortably our best attacker tonight, which still isn't great but he was trying quite a lot, it just wasn't coming off. In recent games his basics had gone totally, get outmuscled by defenders, touch gone, not trying anything. This evening was totally different, just needed a better final product.

Hammondo

Not close to good enough. I expect him to be dropped from the pl games coming up.

Raven

Not close to good enough. I expect him to be dropped from the pl games coming up.
Unless Cavani is back, Martial will be starting against Chelsea I reckon, it's either him or Greenwood and I reckon Martial's still the safer bet up top.

Hammondo

Unless Cavani is back, Martial will be starting against Chelsea I reckon, it's either him or Greenwood and I reckon Martial's still the safer bet up top.
It would send a bad message to the players if we ignore his performances/laziness.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
In the Matrix, bullet time is not time slowing down, it's the heightening of the senses giving the impression that super speed is happening at a fraction of normal time.

Status
Not open for further replies.