Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lex talionis

I still believe that Martial “is good enough” for United, but for some reason he lacks motivation or the kind of drive to push through when the ball doesn’t bounce his way. Imagine if had the heart of a player like Ole himself. What a footballer he would be.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Dont think a player can be good enough for us if he's lacking in motivation and drive, personally.

snk123

Back in the France squad, hopefully that'll do his confidence some good.
He's a real confidence player isn't he. It's so annoying - don't think getting into France squad is going to do much for his confidence.

I remember Deschamps in Euro 16 when he brought him off after 40 minutes and never played him again in the tournament.
He requires special care with his fragile mentality - there have been plenty of players who've gone on to become great ones and didn't have the best focus and desire. Ronaldinho, Riquelme - even Messi.

The problem is Martial haters don't see the natural talent the boy has. The reason we defend him is because he has all the attributes of a top, top player. His close control, dribbling and decision making is top notch - he just doesn't get involved when he's short of confidence. But again, majority here have never touched a football so it's understandable.

Siezard

Yes Martial is a top top player! Time for him to be unleashed tonight!

Guv77

Back in the France squad, hopefully that'll do his confidence some good.
Not much of a confidence boost, when a 34 year old Giroud will start ahead of him no doubt. And out perform him yet again for the national team.

Raven

Not much of a confidence boost, when a 34 year old Giroud will start ahead of him no doubt. And out perform him yet again for the national team.
Shows that people are still believing in him even with his shitty form. I think it would probably give my confidence a boost if I were in his position.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
How on earth has he made the France squad? When he was top class he never made it and when he’s awful he makes it!

Guv77

Shows that people are still believing in him even with his shitty form. I think it would probably give my confidence a boost if I were in his position.
Ole has been doing just that (selecting him when out of form) for the past 6 months, and yet there's no signs of him playing himself back to form what so ever.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
aggressive posting style
He's a real confidence player isn't he. It's so annoying - don't think getting into France squad is going to do much for his confidence.

I remember Deschamps in Euro 16 when he brought him off after 40 minutes and never played him again in the tournament.
He requires special care with his fragile mentality - there have been plenty of players who've gone on to become great ones and didn't have the best focus and desire. Ronaldinho, Riquelme - even Messi.

The problem is Martial haters don't see the natural talent the boy has. The reason we defend him is because he has all the attributes of a top, top player. His close control, dribbling and decision making is top notch - he just doesn't get involved when he's short of confidence. But again, majority here have never touched a football so it's understandable.
Over half of the criticism around here isn't for his lack of skill, but rather his poor form and mentality. The same opinion you seem to have it. Reading is difficult when you're this far up your own ass, so it's understandable.

Raven

Ole has been doing just that (selecting him when out of form) for the past 6 months, and yet there's no signs of him playing himself back to form what so ever.
Yes there are signs of him finding form again? He put on our best CF performance of the season against Man City and then was dangerous against Milan till he came off last week. He's been a bit better for the last 3 or 4 weeks, I would think this will help boost his confidence further. I think he also has a great chance of playing for France over the break because Deschamps loves that type of striker.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hope he improves his goal record for France. 1 goal in 25 games!

Raven

I'm hoping that Martial can come back into the team against Leicester, he's looked a bit better lately and I think Pogba being back will really help him, they've always loved playing together. I know I've been saying it all season and that some people are sick of hearing it but if we can get in him back into form, it would be huge for our pursuit of trophies.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I'm hoping that Martial can come back into the team against Leicester, he's looked a bit better lately and I think Pogba being back will really help him, they've always loved playing together. I know I've been saying it all season and that some people are sick of hearing it but if we can get in him back into form, it would be huge for our pursuit of trophies.
Of course him playing well will be really good but its the sum of his overall consistency that needs to be considered. There is a quality player there in him but he needs to come out of the shell. His time is running out at this stage

Marwood

Can a guy in his prime years really just be out of form for a whole season? He's got everything in place to perform, the talent, the facilities, great stadium, well paid.

Remember when we say out of form regarding Martial we're talking rock bottom performances.

I'm inclined to think he's simply not fit enough, not sharp enough. Not putting the work in on the training ground or in his time away from the club.

Hammondo

Can a guy in his prime years really just be out of form for a whole season? He's got everything in place to perform, the talent, the facilities, great stadium, well paid.

Remember when we say out of form regarding Martial we're talking rock bottom performances.

I'm inclined to think he's simply not fit enough, not sharp enough. Not putting the work in on the training ground or in his time away from the club.
Well people keep going on about last season as if that's his normal standard. It's like sturridge and his one good season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Martial was deadly last season because in my opinion no clubs reacted to Bruno's amazing start to his career at Old trafford.

The low blocks were not present against us because our attack was not that good before Bruno, this includes shooting and creativity.

Bruno went HAM during that post covid season. The season ended and clubs realised that Bruno is a very consistent player and so played Low Block against us.

Then suddenly both Martial's and Greenwoods performances went significantly down playing against a low block that was used to stop our attacking ability and more so Bruno's gameplay such as his finishing and creativity.

Glorio

Well that's untrue. I agree he's consistently stunk up the place having been played over and over by Ole, however, in his last 2 games before the injury, he looked to be getting back to himself.

Counterfactual

Martial was deadly last season because in my opinion no clubs reacted to Bruno's amazing start to his career at Old trafford.

The low blocks were not present against us because our attack was not that good before Bruno, this includes shooting and creativity.

Bruno went HAM during that post covid season. The season ended and clubs realised that Bruno is a very consistent player and so played Low Block against us.

Then suddenly both Martial's and Greenwoods performances went significantly down playing against a low block that was used to stop our attacking ability and more so Bruno's gameplay such as his finishing and creativity.
While that's true to an extent, we've still managed to scored 90 goals so far this season...

spiriticon

Well people keep going on about last season as if that's his normal standard. It's like sturridge and his one good season.
I agree. If Martial was a regular 20-30 goal a season striker (which is really what we need at Manchester United) then this season would not be a problem. Everybody can have a bad season. But Martial does not have a track record of being a consistently good. Even if he does hit a purple patch again (I'm sure he will at some point), you always wonder how long it will last before the moodiness comes back. That is what is frustrating for me.

I can't be bothered to wait till he is 29/30 for him to have his single 30-goal season (when the stars finally align), then for him to start declining physically and we need to replace him. If we want to challenge for major honours next season, he needs to deliver twice what he did last year and very very soon.

Foxbatt

He has been unlucky too. The keeper have some of his shots on another day he would have scored. I also think he is taken an extra touch on the ball. He should get it away like he used to do.

Raven

Of course him playing well will be really good but its the sum of his overall consistency that needs to be considered. There is a quality player there in him but he needs to come out of the shell. His time is running out at this stage
His time is running out but I have seen signs of improvement lately and I'm hoping it is a return to form and I think a returning Pogba will help that.

Leicester 3:1 Man Utd

Eli Zee

Can we all agree that martial is the easiest striker to mark since his off the ball movement is so abysmal?

the coaches need to talk to him if they haven't already. He is literally useless and does nothing unless he has the ball. He's not so good with the ball that this should be in any way acceptable.

I really wouldn't care at all if he is moved on at this point. He doesn't work at all off the ball, he does not produce much with his limited time on the ball.

EasyE

Is it fair to say he hides behind his markers sometimes? Or nonchalantly strolls to the wings a lot? It's strange because he can be so strong and be decent at dribbling direct but his effort is.. odd.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Your eyes don't lie guys. You're watching a £50m striker WALK around the pitch, misplace passes, get outpaced by 36 year old centre backs. He looks like he's being forced to play football as a hostage.

He is done. Pay off his agreement and release him.

acnumber9

If you can’t things can’t get worse, Tony has a surprise up his sleeve. Shite. And lazy.

Frank White

Got beat to the ball multiple times by Evans and offered literally nothing throughout. Another stinker of a performance to add to a stinker of a season.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's shite. The commentator saying "Martial didn't expect the pass there" sums up Martial.

Marwood

His physical attributes have all but gone. Evans looked quicker today.

I've always thought he'd come good but you can't put a season in like thos at 25 and get away with it.

If a decent fee comes in time to part ways I think.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He is bang average most of the time. Not good enough turning it on once or twice a season.

Djemba-Djemba

An absolute fecking disgrace again.

I cannot stand watching him anymore, hes dogshit.

Main striker for Utd and he has 7 goals all season, he's an embarrassment.

Sell him ASAP

united for life

His laziness is becoming annoying. His body language on the pitch indicates that he is not interested. This guy seems to have zero passion; it’s as if he is forced to play. For sure not our striker next year.

padzilla

Hipster
I think we would do well to kick him into the reserves and give him a kick up the backside. Greenwood as 9 would serve us better.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Sick of the sight of him, complete waste of time. Appalling attitude for someone marauding as a United player. Hope he takes his fan club and fecks off this summer.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think we would do well to kick him into the reserves and give him a kick up the backside. Greenwood as 9 would serve us better.
Hugill doesn't deserve to have his minutes stolen by this fraud.

Acole9

Outstanding
We've got a decision to make on him in the summer. Tons of ability but rarely shows it.

Abraxas

Some of the positions Martial is taking up are outrageous. When you play one striker you have to run channels, you gave to run in behind and you have to hold the ball up depending on the situation. A top striker will do all those things and have the match awareness to understand when to do them.

At some point he has to realise what he's doing is not centre forward play for a club like ours. He's playing as if he's out on the left, just making a stroll towards the left hand side and that's the sum total of what he's giving. If he gets it to feet with a bit of space he's happy doing a little dribble. That should be a pretty small fraction of what a centre forward does but it seems to be the totality of Martials efforts.

It feels like we have tried this for long enough now. He's either playing off the left or I simply can't justify playing the guy.

edgecutter

We could have Ronaldo upfront and we would still struggle. The lack of creation in our midfield is shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.