Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAF is the GOAT

Is he even going to fit next season if we won't sell him ? that injury taking too long if he didn't get the call to the French team.

krentz

what should we do with this guy? Tony has all talent in the world but i dont think he's mentally fit to play for big club. He clearly dislike internal competition, his incident with Mbappe kinda highlight his attitude to anyone who still doubt it. If Conte landed at spurs will he take him?

Martial is the only player, I’ve heard of whose reputation grows the longer he is out injured. When he’s fit and playing regularly, he’s so disappointing.
That would be Eric Baily. Things i read on the internet about him being our best CB or such :wenger: , funny how quickly those opinions deteriorated when he actually play.

Andersons Dietician

what should we do with this guy? Tony has all talent in the world but i dont think he's mentally fit to play for big club. He clearly dislike internal competition, his incident with Mbappe kinda highlight his attitude to anyone who still doubt it. If Conte landed at spurs will he take him?

That would be Eric Baily. Things i read on the internet about him being our best CB or such :wenger: , funny how quickly those opinions deteriorated when he actually play.
Incident with Mbappe? Do you mean when he replaced Martial because Martial was injured and as he came on the pitch someone from the bench shouted something so he turned back and the media made out it was something Martial said?

As for Martial he’s still needed next year and has been missed at times this season. I still maintain he does a job filling in for the space Bruno neglects allowing us to move up the pitch better. Some people might not be aware of these suttle yet important things. He himself still needs to vastly improve and after he’s done his bit of dropping deep covering Bruno needs to then turn and show some desire to get himself back in the box instead of filling in like an attacking midfielder.

Raveneye

Martial was growing into his role well last season and fell off a cliff this season. None of us can say why for sure. I know Ole's system benefits from a striker who can hold up play like he does, as it gives more breathing room for Bruno and Rashford to operate in. I think Martial will get one more season to prove he can make it here, but if Ole decides to sell I don't think anyone could fault him.

Andersons Dietician

Martial was growing into his role well last season and fell off a cliff this season. None of us can say why for sure. I know Ole's system benefits from a striker who can hold up play like he does, as it gives more breathing room for Bruno and Rashford to operate in. I think Martial will get one more season to prove he can make it here, but if Ole decides to sell I don't think anyone could fault him.
I do think this is probably his real last season to state his claim but more so because unless he suddenly becomes Prime Brazilian Ronald we’ll go all out for Haaland next year and I would imagine if Martial is fine to stay then he’ll be kept as backup.

His wage probably isn’t 250k either. Most likely a lower fee but with the incentives and bonuses it can work out at 250k.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
You think most of our team is on 250k? Or even most of our starting XI?

What planet are you on, cause it ain’t this one.
I was getting at the hot and cold bit which can easily apply to a lot of our players.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He himself still needs to vastly improve and after he’s done his bit of dropping deep covering Bruno needs to then turn and show some desire to get himself back in the box instead of filling in like an attacking midfielder.
If you do the one without doing the other, you're basically flawed as feck.

Look at old man Cavani. His (central) movement/anticipation is on a different level to Martial's.

Martial isn't a CF. He's some kind of hybrid - most likely one that would truly shine * in a slightly different system from the one United are likely to play.

He's clearly behind Cavani (and Mason too) in the middle. And he's behind Pogba/Rashford on the left.

* Or shine to some extent, at least.

MadMike

If you do the one without doing the other, you're basically flawed as feck.

Look at old man Cavani. His (central) movement/anticipation is on a different level to Martial's.

Martial isn't a CF. He's some kind of hybrid - most likely one that would truly shine * in a slightly different system from the one United are likely to play.

He's clearly behind Cavani (and Mason too) in the middle. And he's behind Pogba/Rashford on the left.

* Or shine to some extent, at least.
There isn’t one type of CF. None of these are a problem for me, the problem is he’s Jekyll and Hyde.

He’a not a Cavani type player with clever movement in the box, playing on the shoulder of defenders, notching diving headers etc. Sure. But Anthony Jekyll has good hold up play, good link up (particularly with Rashford), as well as the ability to occasionally go past players with dribbling and acceleration. Cavani doesn’t have these skills or attributes. That doesn’t make him (or Martial) a lesser player or CF, just different. If Martial can bang 20Gs a season on top as well, like he did last season, then I don’t care for the perceived deficiencies of his style.

The problem is that we got Anthony Hyde this season. The one who aimlessly struts around doing feck all, with no motivation or confidence in front goal. Followed by a lengthy injury.

He’ll probably get next season too, as no one will buy him this summer with the lengthy absence and covid economics, but he’s on seriously thin ice. He has to prove that he can be consistent and that 19-20 wasn’t a one-off good season as a CF, or he will find himself or the transfer market next summer.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not in the France squad for the euros. Missed the last World Cup and now this
They're not like England, who have a number of players who missed months and still get in.
They're absolutely awash with talent.

I remember someone put a video together of how they actually have the biggest talent pool in the world to draw from, so it's no surprise really.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There isn’t one type of CF.
No, fair enough - you're right.

In fact, I've said before that Martial might (in theory) be excellent in a system with two CFs (of sorts).

Imagine Martial and Cavani up front in a Fergie style 4-4-2, for instance - that isn't implausible at all.

(Well, it's implausible as feck given our current personnel - because we clearly don't have a good enough midfield, or defence, to attempt anything like that...but in isolation, as a CF pairing...not implausible).

So, what I mean is that Martial isn't the sort of player you want as the spear head in a Ole style 4-2-3-1. He doesn't have the killer instinct (to be a primary goal source) - nor does he have the movement/anticipation/dedication of a more expansive/well rounded line leader.

If Cavani was Martial's age, we'd be laughing - because we'd be sorted for years (again, given what appears to be Ole's preferences).

They're not like England, who have a number of players who missed months and still get in.
They're absolutely awash with talent.

I remember someone put a video together of how they actually have the biggest talent pool in the world to draw from, so it's no surprise really.
there’s a big difference between the importance of Henderson and Maguire to Martial. Martial Has never been an important player for France. No one aside from some United fans would think he deserves a place.

Kaos

I remember how giddy I was when we signed him, a true FM/FIFA wonderboy legend, and THAT debut goal against Liverpool made me certain he was going to be world class.

Oh well.

Shimo

Not in the France squad for the euros. Missed the last World Cup and now this
Deschamps said it was due to the injury or he would have been in the frame otherwise. He would have absolutely deserved it last year but, as good as he can be it would not have been right to go this year even if not injured. Had a very poor season before the injury. Still think we can't afford to sell him even if we bring in Sancho. The need for quality on the bench and the ability to rotate players with real quality was apparent all season. He is still better than Rashford or Mason as a CF and Cavani is not going to play every game.

Now if we bring in a Halaand or Kane, then he'd be the first option to sell.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He's had a disappointing season but just a year before he was my player of the season. Just need him fit and hungry. No more letting the game pass him by. Do the goals bet with Rashford again. If we can get martial , rashford and Greenwood to peak at the right times with cavani as a different option, we could really do some damage.

MadMike

So, what I mean is that Martial isn't the sort of player you want as the spear head in a Ole style 4-2-3-1. He doesn't have the killer instinct (to be a primary goal source) - nor does he have the movement/anticipation/dedication of a more expansive/well rounded line leader.
Look I agree with all that, but I don't think we necessarily need it. Liverpool won the title last year and the CL the year before that with Firmino up top. A player with little killer instinct and no great movement either. Hold up, link up and pressing are his primary skills. City won the title this year playing with a false 9 in KDB or Gundogan a lot of the times. Chelsea won the CL with Werner upfront who leads others to treasures he can't possess (goals), because he was born offside.

Like I said, last year's Martial is absolutely fine for us. When he's motivated and up for it then he links up and holds the ball up well, turning defenders who get too close to him, while being a threat on the counter with his pace and contributing very well with goals. And we don't need him to be top scorer either. Rashford, Greenwood and Fernandes are all players that would be getting into double figures as well, then there's Cavani who can contribute from the bench too. That's a very potent attack with goals all over, there's no need for over-reliance on the #9 for goals.

The only problem is doing what he did last season regularly. When he plays like he did this season, he's barely a footballer never mind a striker worthy of the #9 spot. He needs to get past his mental issues and become more consistent because you can have your main striker have a stinker of a game, but a stinker of a season is unacceptable at this level. He doesn't need to be a top goalscorer, but he also can't be a passenger. He needs to play like a hungry footballer who wants to win. He did it last year, but one year isn't enough.

Last edited:

Stacks

There isn’t one type of CF. None of these are a problem for me, the problem is he’s Jekyll and Hyde.

He’a not a Cavani type player with clever movement in the box, playing on the shoulder of defenders, notching diving headers etc. Sure. But Anthony Jekyll has good hold up play, good link up (particularly with Rashford), as well as the ability to occasionally go past players with dribbling and acceleration. Cavani doesn’t have these skills or attributes. That doesn’t make him (or Martial) a lesser player or CF, just different. If Martial can bang 20Gs a season on top as well, like he did last season, then I don’t care for the perceived deficiencies of his style.

The problem is that we got Anthony Hyde this season. The one who aimlessly struts around doing feck all, with no motivation or confidence in front goal. Followed by a lengthy injury.

He’ll probably get next season too, as no one will buy him this summer with the lengthy absence and covid economics, but he’s on seriously thin ice. He has to prove that he can be consistent and that 19-20 wasn’t a one-off good season as a CF, or he will find himself or the transfer market next summer.
exactly where I am at. I know people will say he had more underwhelming seasons than great ones like 2020 but its his last shot.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I can't believe we're seriously even considering going into next season with Martial in the squad. Isn't it obvious now, that after 6/7 years he isn't going to be the player we all hoped he would be? How many chances can we keep giving him? He is not good enough for us

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I can't believe we're seriously even considering going into next season with Martial in the squad. Isn't it obvious now, that after 6/7 years he isn't going to be the player we all hoped he would be? How many chances can we keep giving him? He is not good enough for us
Unless there’s a buyer that’s exactly what will happen

C'est Moi Cantona

As frustrating as he is sometimes I want to keep him, he's got more natural talent than virtually any player we have, and is still just 25, potential peak years just around the corner.

Many on here would relish him leaving to a club like Spurs or Arsenal, but we could regret that very quickly, esepcially when they are above us, and the fee we got bought us very little.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Like I said, last year's Martial is absolutely fine for us.
Hm...

Possibly.

If everything else is in place. And he actually performs regularly on a high level - in that position.

That seems very hypothetical at the moment, though. Because everything else clearly is not in place, for one thing.

At the moment - given how we've played this season - who would you choose as your default starter up front?

Wouldn't be Martial for me. It would - easily - be Cavani. And then Mason. And then - as a third choice - Martial.

That's where he is at the moment.

MadMike

exactly where I am at. I know people will say he had more underwhelming seasons than great ones like 2020 but its his last shot.
I mean, it is true. But also last season was the only time that he really played a full season as #9. The only other time he played a lot there was in his first season under Van Gaal in 2015-16. Which was a very good season by all accounts for a teenager with 18g and 11a in 58 appearances. He also had a great first full season under Ole.

In between though he had 2.5 years with Mou, where he was competing with Rashford for the LW spot. Under a manager so defensive, that he had wingers playing as deep as fullbacks play in most teams.

So there was genuine belief that his bad seasons were down to a combination of playing out of position and having a pretty bad relationship with Mou. That a kinder manager in Ole would get the best of Martial in his preferred #9. This year sadly dispels that optimism.

Stacks

I mean, it is true. But also last season was the only time that he really played a full season as #9. The only other time he played a lot there was in his first season under Van Gaal in 2015-16. Which was a very good season by all accounts for a teenager with 18g and 11a in 58 appearances. He also had a great first full season under Ole.

In between though he had 2.5 years with Mou, where he was competing with Rashford for the LW spot. Under a manager so defensive, that he had wingers playing as deep as fullbacks play in most teams.

So there was genuine belief that his bad seasons were down to a combination of playing out of position and having a pretty bad relationship with Mou. That a kinder manager in Ole would get the best of Martial in his preferred #9. This year sadly dispels that optimism.
Most of his goals that year came from wide. He scored 7 in 28 app as CF so 1 in 4. 9 in 24 from LWF.

indeed. so he really does have one more shot.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Has probably the worst mentality I've seen from a United player in a long time!

Sulked when we signed Ibra, instead of using it as motivation to improve so we don't buy another striker he moans - Ibrahim leaves, he has a good season, then we go and get Cavani as back up, the then has his worst season of his career.

He hasn't got the stomach for a fight, talented player yes, that was never in doubt, but we should get rid of him as soon as we can, as soon as something gets too difficult for him, he'll down tools quicker than a builder on a Friday.

MadMike

Hm...

Possibly.

If everything else is in place. And he actually performs regularly on a high level - in that position.

That seems very hypothetical at the moment, though. Because everything else clearly is not in place, for one thing.

At the moment - given how we've played this season - who would you choose as your default starter up front?

Wouldn't be Martial for me. It would - easily - be Cavani. And then Mason. And then - as a third choice - Martial.

That's where he is at the moment.
It's not Martial's responsibility for everything else to be in place though. That's on the manager. Though I would argue everything else is in place.

Cavani is a great goalscorer with a lot of intelligence and movement, who will always individually net a huge output... so long as his legs hold anyway. But I find the rest of his play is a bit limited. I honestly felt using my eyes, that Martial last season brought Rashford and Greenwood into play better and both of them had better goals per minute than they do this season. So did Bruno.

(ignore Elanga who sneaked in with only 2 appearances)

This season we had Bruno the whole year, we scored 3 more pens due to VAR (from 6 to 9) and more goals in general (not just us, across the league) again due to VAR but also due to no fans in the stadiums. Yet I wouldn't say our attack has performed better. Cavani individually did well but our attack was not any more cohesive, in my opinion. Because Martial was playing like he'd taken the dog out for a walk in the park and when Cavani played, we had three finishers but not good enough link up between them.

Martial just needs to perform like we know he can and we'll be dandy. Sorting out midfield, defence and set pieces would be way more important.

Last edited:

Idxomer

Has probably the worst mentality I've seen from a United player in a long time!

Sulked when we signed Ibra, instead of using it as motivation to improve so we don't buy another striker he moans - Ibrahim leaves, he has a good season, then we go and get Cavani as back up, the then has his worst season of his career.

He hasn't got the stomach for a fight, talented player yes, that was never in doubt, but we should get rid of him as soon as we can, as soon as something gets too difficult for him, he'll down tools quicker than a builder on a Friday.
Ibra left and we bought Lukaku and Rashford was preferred on the left, he didn't sulk and got his place back.

He had a bad season but doubt it has anything to do with Cavani coming.

MadMike

Heh.

Yeah, we can hope.
Yeah well, I'm not really optimistic either. But it doesn't look like we're signing a striker this summer, so let's keep our fingers crossed that we get more Dr. Jekyll and less Mr Hyde from Martial next year.

krentz

Incident with Mbappe? Do you mean when he replaced Martial because Martial was injured and as he came on the pitch someone from the bench shouted something so he turned back and the media made out it was something Martial said?

As for Martial he’s still needed next year and has been missed at times this season. I still maintain he does a job filling in for the space Bruno neglects allowing us to move up the pitch better. Some people might not be aware of these suttle yet important things. He himself still needs to vastly improve and after he’s done his bit of dropping deep covering Bruno needs to then turn and show some desire to get himself back in the box instead of filling in like an attacking midfielder.
He refused to shake hand with Mbappe and you can tell from his facial expression when the board held his number. One thing to be feel angry/dissatisfied to your manager's decision to take you off but dont be dickish to your own teammate.
Le Sulk is fitting name for him.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Terrible season.

Rashford is banged up, Canani an old man. We actually need him.

Status
Not open for further replies.