Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smores

He doesn't have the attitude of a united player and quite frankly he doesn't have the overall ability to make up for it either.

Best for all parties that he goes. Can't see any of the top clubs wanting him unless it's at a big discount.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Bags of talent but a weak mind. Such a waste. Would still like to see him given 1 more season.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He doesn't have the attitude of a united player and quite frankly he doesn't have the overall ability to make up for it either.

Best for all parties that he goes. Can't see any of the top clubs wanting him unless it's at a big discount.
Big discount on what ?
His initial fee was years ago and now considered cheap.

I'm all for getting rid of him but think he'll be kept.

Pickle85

Would be best all round if we could part ways amicably now but can't see who would pay the wages he'd want. When Kane heads off to City it'd be lovely to see him go there but can't see them being willing to pay him the money he'd want. Such a shame as for a season or two I really thought we had a worldie.

Smores

Big discount on what ?
His initial fee was years ago and now considered cheap.

I'm all for getting rid of him but think he'll be kept.
On the value of a top player. Anyone signing him now is basically hoping he'll come good so his value will reflect that, that and his wages.

Actually quite difficult to put a price on him. 30-40 million perhaps?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imagine understanding different roles for players with different profiles, skills and abilities...
Mate, our coach couldn't trust Dan James to get him a goal in a final even after all the players on the pitch were knackered.
Unless Martial is replaced adequately by someone of equal ability, it's a bad idea.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
His 2nd half of 2019/20 was very good, why didn't he kick on that form into this season?

Adisa

His 2nd half of 2019/20 was very good, why didn't he kick on that form into this season?
Could be a number of reasons. There were rumours that he has been struggling with niggling injuries for about a year now.
I don't buy the idea that he hates competition. Most of his career here, he's never been a sure starter and he has always found a way of regaining his place.
We also don't know if he is facing any personal issues.
This coming season will show if it's a blip or a bad decline in such a way that he needs a change of environment.

Red_toad

Imagine wanting to loan him out and keep Dan James, Jesus...
If one wants to be at the club and the other doesn’t, then what does it matter? Martial is well known to down tools when he’s not happy. His Mrs tweeted a few weeks ago about him going to Real. I thought it was random.

georgipep

Mate, our coach couldn't trust Dan James to get him a goal in a final even after all the players on the pitch were knackered.
Unless Martial is replaced adequately by someone of equal ability, it's a bad idea.
I feel like it would be redundant to write this but.... Players have roles on the pitch. Our manager decided James would not fit the game in the final. Villareal were playing with 10 men behind the ball, not sure how James' profile would've helped us in that situation.

OL29

If one wants to be at the club and the other doesn’t, then what does it matter? Martial is well known to down tools when he’s not happy. His Mrs tweeted a few weeks ago about him going to Real. I thought it was random.
No she didn’t, she did a long interview and one of the questions was which club would she ideally like him to ply for and she said Real Madrid. Not as sinister as you make it sound. There’s a lot of inaccuracy/dishonesty in this thread.

Adisa

No she didn’t, she did a long interview and one of the questions was which club would she ideally like him to ply for and she said Real Madrid. Not as sinister as you make it sound. There’s a lot of inaccuracy/dishonesty in this thread.
And she said it was because she was a Real Madrid fan growing up.

youmeletsfly

Imagine wanting to loan him out and keep Dan James, Jesus...
While I agree that James is not even a prem player, he does have his utility at times and seems to be an okay lad.
Keeping in mind that Martial is known to down tools, is injured at least 3 months per season and is as lazier than a fat cat, the decision is alright. The 250K/week he's on should also be taken into consideration.

Adisa

I feel like it would be redundant to write this but.... Players have roles on the pitch. Our manager decided James would not fit the game in the final. Villareal were playing with 10 men behind the ball, not sure how James' profile would've helped us in that situation.
It's simple. Ole felt he needed a goal, the players we had on the bench including James couldn't be trusted to get a goal. Ole himself said the players on the pitch were knackered. If Martial was on the bench, Ole would have brought him on. You kid yourself if you think otherwise.

Red_toad

Oh I’m so sorry I saw it on a tweet, thankfully you can along and made out I was acting in a sinister way trying to bend the truth. Thanks for that!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Probably right in both cases to be fair. One of them doesn't make £250k a week though and is happy to fight for a place
Personally I wouldn’t care about the money or wages if I had to pick the quality of Martial over the quality of Dan James.

One has the ability to beat some top teams on his day.

Ideally we should sell both maybe - however if we had to keep one then it’s Martial any day of the week.

adkb

To reach the final, we need a Dan James. We also need a Martial, but this year we did that without Martial!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Who ? Tony ? I don't think so because Tony showed us over the years that when he have competition on his place(Zlatan, Lukaku and now Cavani) - he's not perform well.
This is simply not true. He’s performed well before when under threat, this is just nonsense that keeps getting repeated and people like the sound of it, so we’ve accepted it.

Not to mention that Cavani was not even brought in as ‘competition’ for Martial. It was clear as day that he was ‘cover’ for him, and it wasn’t until late December/Christmas that any notion of Cavani perhaps starting ahead of Martial was really being discussed. Martial had a comfortable free run for the first few months of the season, and this deal was incomparable to Zlatan or Lukaku. Some players have poor spells for whatever reason, it has happened and will always happen, and we are fortunate that Ole had the foresight to get another quality striker which helped us when this happened.

People like the idea of putting it down to having competition, it lends to some sort of narrative, but the case is flimsy. Martial just came off the back of a brilliant season, Ole didn’t bring in a 33 year old free transfer to compete for his place. Tony was far and away in pole position and had the trust of Ole for months, despite being off form and Cavani being here. I don’t recall Cavani starting ahead of a fit Martial for at least 3 months, except Cup games.

MadMike

I didn’t realise optimism like this still existed. How long has AM been here now and we’re still waiting for him to perform ‘like we know he can’.
We’ve seen him perform like that, last year. Where were you?

MattofManchester

Sancho, Varane, a CM will boost our challenging capabilities.

I'm not banking on it, but Martial injecting his lockdown form again will make us look like potential winners.

He's had a long break, so perhaps the fact that he's been displaced by Cavani, is being challenged by Greenwood and now he's no longer as important as he once was will rejuvenate him.

Vaibhav Raj

He's had a long break, so perhaps the fact that he's been displaced by Cavani, is being challenged by Greenwood and now he's no longer as important as he once was will rejuvenate him.
Many folks here are of the opinion that the very reason why he doesn't play well is because his position is challenged and he doesn't feel important. They say that whenever Martial has played well has been when he's been trusted to do a role and is a guaranteed starter.

Lynty

Contracted until 2024

Absolutely no reason to sell this window. Keep him, see if he has the drive to fight his way back into the team as the only obstacles are a 19 year old, a 34 year old and himself.

It would be niave to go into the season with Cavani and Greenwood as the only 9s, and there's been no real indication we're looking at strikers this summer.

Lingard and DvB both more sellable options this summer if we need to raise cash for a CM.

Ashish Negi

Everyone else other than euros and Copa players are back in training. He is no where to seen, any update ?

Status
Not open for further replies.