Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We miss his ability to link our forward play and win penalties.

Rashford cannot play alone against a low block. Martial can.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What is your point? We missed him.
I don't disagree.

But he's the reason he's not playing. He's an idiot. That slap/shove was pathetic and very unprofessional and it's cost us more than just the Spurs game.

Renegade

Let us down with that red card. Missing Chelsea and Arsenal at home because of stupidity.

Raven

Let me guess, Martial will be the saviour? Yeah right! Another member of Bluffer FC.
Oh right, I must have imagined his return from injury last season which led to a dramatic upturn in goalscoring and form then.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Let us down with that red card. Missing Chelsea and Arsenal at home because of stupidity.
Exactly 2 1 down to Spurs so salvageable until his petty shove. And also misses three more games including two crunch games which we haven't won in.

Martial is as guilty as Ole is for these results. He's vital to the way we play and he missed out through stupidity.

He's one of the biggest reasons we are 15th.

Ashish Negi

Last year BBC did a story on How United do with Martial and without Martial.

Any one have total and updated numbers?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Martial has something that our forwards don‘t have his ability to hold the ball while defenders behind his back. He can make quick turn or hold the ball without making an obvious backward passing and somehow can draw foul or even penalty. I know Greenwood hold up play isn’t bad but he doesn’t draw foul like Martial does. Nice we will get him back against Everton.

UncleBob

Exactly 2 1 down to Spurs so salvageable until his petty shove. And also misses three more games including two crunch games which we haven't won in.

Martial is as guilty as Ole is for these results. He's vital to the way we play and he missed out through stupidity.

He's one of the biggest reasons we are 15th.
:lol:

Andersons Dietician

People just love to highlight his poor moments and sometimes it's not even poor moments. For example, "He could have passed the ball to Martial" is hilarious one, yes he could have done that and on the other hand he also backs himself to beat the defenders and create goal scoring chance and he nearly did it too.
For me things like that are what make the difference between a great player and a good player. Think of how many times “He’s backed himself” to do the extrodinary and failed to pull it off when there was someone in a better position, wide open with a higher percentage of scoring.

Imagine against RB it’s 0-0 he goes to take on the defenders does turn them inside out but to actually finish the move He has to score from a position that is very unlikely when his team mate is sitting wide open in the middle of goal and an easy pass to him probably results in a goal.

The reason why people dissect Rashford is because he makes very basic mistakes and we know he can do better. It’s the same for Martial. He by no means gets off Scott free. Have you even looked in this thread. He gets hammered. He’s probably the polar opposite of Rashford in that he could probably do with being a bit more greedy and backing himself instead of always trying to play others in.

They are all still works in progress and hopefully will all improve. This “I’m a better fan stick“ is really getting old quickly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This “I’m a better fan stick“ is really getting old quickly.
No matter how many times you repeat the same nonsense, it won't be true. Even more hilarious you left out the part " It's weird that people who dissect Rashford game to highlight poor moments won't do the same to Martial and other way is true too. "

People (few obvious ones) who highlight Rashford's poor moments won't do the same for Martial, same is true for other side too.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Hopefully this shows to those that underrate him just how key he is to our team. Without him we have no one who can play with his back to goal, draw fouls and bring others Into play. I actually thought Rashford looked sharp yesterday and in good form, but he couldn’t get enough of the ball in dangerous positions which is what Martial provides every game.

Ashish Negi

Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood collectively kept possession 8 times vs Arsenal when they were challenged.

Anthony Martial, by himself, managed 8 possession keeps vs RB Leipzig and was also fouled another 6 times on top.

Value!

Copied from @UTDArena from twitter. Cant embed media

Idxomer

We need him as he's one of our better players but everyone could agree at the same time he isn't the sole answer to our problems either.

UncleBob

People just love to highlight his poor moments and sometimes it's not even poor moments. For example, "He could have passed the ball to Martial" is hilarious one, yes he could have done that and on the other hand he also backs himself to beat the defenders and create goal scoring chance and he nearly did it too.
Why is it hilarious? Rashford continued to back himself to score from obscure angles 30 yards out....he makes the wrong choice, he has a perfectly positioned teammate and instead he goes for glory by himself. There's a line between the sort of selfishness needed to be a world class player and the sort of selfishness where it's detrimental, Rashford more often or not is on the negative end of it.

roonster09

Scout
Why is it hilarious? Rashford continued to back himself to score from obscure angles 30 yards out....he makes the wrong choice, he has a perfectly positioned teammate and instead he goes for glory by himself. There's a line between the sort of selfishness needed to be a world class player and the sort of selfishness where it's detrimental, Rashford more often or not is on the negative end of it.

Yeah so what? He backed himself to beat the defenders, which he did with ease and then backed himself to beat the last defender too, which he did and then defender did well to block the shot.

It happened when the game was already over and at 3-0.

UncleBob

Yeah so what? He backed himself to beat the defenders, which he did with ease and then backed himself to beat the last defender too, which he did and then defender did well to block the shot.

"which he did which he did which he did until he didn't"

Mint summary.

There's a right option and there's a wrong option, he went for the wrong option. Try to beat the player again because the angle is poor and fire off a shot with 3 players close to you or pass the ball to the teammate standing at the penalty spot with only the goalkeeper to beat.

acnumber9

Hopefully this shows to those that underrate him just how key he is to our team. Without him we have no one who can play with his back to goal, draw fouls and bring others Into play. I actually thought Rashford looked sharp yesterday and in good form, but he couldn’t get enough of the ball in dangerous positions which is what Martial provides every game.
Yeah, he did that to great effect in our first three games this season.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Mint summary.

There's a right option and there's a wrong option, he went for the wrong option. Try to beat the player again because the angle is poor and fire off a shot with 3 players close to you or pass the ball to the teammate standing at the penalty spot with only the goalkeeper to beat.
We're 3-0 up... and he'd just beaten their entire backline. Of course he's going to shoot.... absolutely nothing to critcise him for.

Do you honestly think Ronaldo, or Messi or Lewa pass there? No chance.

It's not like he was 30 yards out either, he's in the box and has a decent sight of goal... if he rockets that in the top corner then what?

Canagel

Why does it matter when it happened? His teammate was available for a open goal but he got greedy and missed. Why is that difficult to accept?

Too many insecure fans on this site regarding Rashford, as if he is immune of critisism

roonster09

Scout

Mint summary.

He beat defenders and then defender blocked the shot. Nothing wrong in player backing himself.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Why does it matter when it happened? His teammate was available for a open goal but he got greedy and missed. Why is that difficult to accept?

Too many insecure fans on this site regarding Rashford, as if he is immune of critisism
He's not, but this is just a completely bizarre criticism.

Again, 3-0 up... having just gone on one hell of a run. Very few strikers are passing that, doubt even Martial would.

roonster09

Scout

:lol: How does it not matter when it happened?

Insecure fans? Must be hard reading posts. I said people does the same thing to Martial and Rashford, nitpicking, people who do it for Rashford won't do it for Martial and same is true other way.

UncleBob

We're 3-0 up... and he'd just beaten their entire backline. Of course he's going to shoot.... absolutely nothing to critcise him for.

Do you honestly think Ronaldo, or Messi or Lewa pass there? No chance.

It's not like he was 30 yards out either, he's in the box and has a decent sight of goal... if he rockets that in the top corner then what?
He's not Ronaldo, Messi or Lewa.
What if you get in your car piss drunk and drive 30 miles but you don't have an accident? Wrong choice but with a positive end result.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
What if you get in your car piss drunk and drive 30 miles but you don't have an accident? Wrong choice but with a positive end result.
But shouldn't he be aspiring to be at that level?

Even if you drop down a level Sterling, Sancho, Mahrez, Auba, Martial... non of them are passing it either.

The analogy doesn't work because you wouldn't celebrate such a thing. If he had buried that it's a goal we'd be talking about for years.

roonster09

Scout
:lol: What an analogy.

roonster09

Scout
But shouldn't he be aspiring to be at that level?

Even if you drop down a level Sterling, Sancho, Mahrez, Auba, Martial... non of them are passing it either.

The analogy doesn't work because you wouldn't celebrate such a thing. If he had buried that it's a goal we'd be talking about for years.
Exactly. It's good to see him taking on defenders and beating them so easily.

Rolaholic

Manchester United without Anthony Martial (2019/20-20/21) - Domestic competition:

P: 11 (3W 5D 3L)
27% win rate
1.27 PPM
0.73 goals per 90

Yet from many posts on here over the last few weeks, we're apparently better off :lol: :rolleyes:

Raven

Manchester United without Anthony Martial (2019/20-20/21) - Domestic competition:

27% win rate
1.27 PPM
0.73 goals per 90

Yet from many posts on here over the last few weeks, we're apparently better off :lol: :rolleyes:
He's the only one who can actually hold the ball long enough for us to get out of defence. Watching Rashford and Greenwood getting man handled yesterday was so fecking annoying. At least he's back now and also looks like he's hitting some sort of form.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm glad there is some fans that value Martial's link up play.

If he was available I think yesterday we could have played Rashford and Greenwood in partnership but Martial behind them as a false 9 at the tip of a diamond.

He can really interlink the players behind him and in front of him.

Unfortunately I dont think Ole is attacking minded enough to lose a double CDM approach no matter what formation we play.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

27% win rate
1.27 PPM
0.73 goals per 90

Curious to know our win rate when both Martial and Rashford start. I know for a fact last season we struggled massively with one of them missing.

roonster09

Scout
United did well without Rashy last season
Did they?

Before Bruno was signed, ManUtd played 2 league games and didn't score a goal in both games.

ManUtd played 7 games in league, winning 3, losing 2 and drawing 2.

Scored 8 goals in 7 league games Rashford missed.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
My theory is that when Rashford and Martial start together for United we generally play well. But as soon as one of them is missing our form goes to shit.

Andersons Dietician

Even if you rewind that clip back a few seconds before he even attempts that run there is an easy ball in to Martial and the option he should have chosen.

People saying Messi and the likes wouldn’t have passed must not have watched Barca when they were the greatest team I’ve seen or maybe didn’t watch City a few seasons back where they would pass the ball to feed team mates in better positions.

Someone even says Martial wouldn’t pass in the same situation. They must have missed the assist he gave Rashford or when he tried to slip in Donny.

The only hope Rashford has of scoring there is to bend it on his left in to the top left corner or a fluke driving it through the defender and hoping the GK has a howler.

I think Rashford is exceptionally talented and has massive scope for Improvement mainly in situations like this and his finishing. Too many times he does the same thing game in and game out. Where he just lazily smashes the ball.

He will mature and get better I’m sure of it.

roonster09

Scout
My theory is that when Rashford and Martial start together for United we generally play well. But as soon as one of them is missing our form goes to shit.
Yes, it was very much true before we signed Bruno. Since then, we are bit less reliant on Martial + Rashford pair. They elevate each other's game, Martial is very good at creating space and hold up play, Rashford is very good at pushing the defense and creating the space.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Even if you rewind that clip back a few seconds before he even attempts that run there is an easy ball in to Martial and the option he should have chosen.

People saying Messi and the likes wouldn’t have passed must not have watched Barca when they were the greatest team I’ve seen or maybe didn’t watch City a few seasons back where they would pass the ball to feed team mates in better positions.

Someone even says Martial wouldn’t pass in the same situation. They must have missed the assist he gave Rashford or when he tried to slip in Donny.

The only hope Rashford has of scoring there is to bend it on his left in to the top left corner or a fluke driving it through the defender and hoping the GK has a howler.

I think Rashford is exceptionally talented and has massive scope for Improvement mainly in situations like this and his finishing. Too many times he does the same thing game in and game out. Where he just lazily smashes the ball.

He will mature and get better I’m sure of it.
Yeah Messi has never beaten about 5 players taken a shot and scored a goal.

Nor has Martial taken on ridiculous shots from daft places after pulling off some crazy skill.

And Sterling has never been too greedy and taken on shots when he clearly should have passed.

This is just silly. We were 3-0... if that's not the time to try stuff, when is?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yes, it was very much true before we signed Bruno. Since then, we are bit less reliant on Martial + Rashford pair. They elevate each other's game, Martial is very good at creating space and hold up play, Rashford is very good at pushing the defense and creating the space.
This is why I want Rashford and Greenwood to play as a striker pair with Martial behind them not in front of them.

Rashford and Greenwood are similar to me in the way they play (not ability) they want to make the runs in to the space but are not the most creative.

Martial can create, can make space, can hold on to the ball and bring others in to play.

Unfortunately I dont think Ole sees this because even in a 4231 it was Rashford and Greenwood who played deep trying to put martial as the player that makes runs in behind the defence. The little difference of a 4231 to a 433 with Rashford and Greenwood making runs off of Martial's and Bruno's play is all we needed.

We saw this happen naturally in their play last season rather than it being made to be a source of our attack predetermined.

Even in a partnership I dont think Martial on the left of Rashford is going to be as good as Martial playing at the tip of a diamond as a false 9 whilst Rashford and Greenwood focus on the finishing. Martial on the left as a striker will mean he has to hold on to his space more than doing his natural game of dropping deep.

It's why I prefer a 3511 over a 352 with Martial playing behind a striker like Cavanix Rashford or Greenwood rather than playing on the side of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.