Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
They won the wc not because of Deschamos but in spite of him. Poor manager who likes to play boring pragmatic football.
Exactly and it’s a shame because they have the players to play some magical stuff under a progressive manager.

dev1l

I think some of those closes where supposed to happen within a specific time frame for them to be activated if I'm not mistaken, and I think the time has already expired.
You re right
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/martials-21million-united-fee-add-ons-explained
There were 3 add ons clauses , 1 of which was triggered.
"Each three bonuses are worth £7.2m, according to The Sun and United will pay the first of them to Monaco if Martial, who scored eight goals in his last nine appearances last season, scores 25 goals in the next four years. The club will also pay an additional £7.2million if Martial, who is yet uncapped by France, wins 25 caps over the same four-year period and finally a further £7.2million will be owed should Martial win the Ballon d’Or by June 2019."

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They won the wc not because of Deschamos but in spite of him. Poor manager who likes to play boring pragmatic football.
France won because of Deschamps, he turned the team around and built a club mentality that saw France reach the Euro final and then win the WC. To claim that France won the WC in spite of Deschamps is asinine.

AshRK

France won because of Deschamps, he turned the team around and built a club mentality that saw France reach the Euro final and then win the WC. To claim that France won the WC in spite of Deschamps is asinine.
It would have been a sin for a manager to not win a major trophy with this bunch of talent. So many skillful players yet they play a boring football under him. To act as if Deschamps was coaching some mediocre players and turned their fortune around is bs.

JPRouve

Scout
It would have been a sin for a manager to not win a major trophy with this bunch of talent. So much skillful player yet they have played a boring football under him. To act as if Deschamps was coaching some mediocre players is bs.
If it was that easy, Spain, Netherland, Argentina, Brazil or even England would have won more. The team that he had was inexperienced at that level and it was the beginning of a new cycle for France, so let's not change history and act as if we were talking about France in 2000.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He was spot on. Deschamps the luckiest national manager ever. Couldn’t fail with the talent he has.

JPRouve

Scout
He was spot on. Deschamps the luckiest national manager ever. Couldn’t fail with the talent he has.
Managers have and are "failing" with the same amount of talent and Deschamps didn't had much talent before 2017.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Hopefully going forward Deschamps doesn't feel the need to have such a pragmatic approach with France. There is just way too much talent for him to keep acting like he needs this type of approach.

AshRK

Managers have and are "failing" with the same amount of talent and Deschamps didn't had much talent before 2017.
Tell me which other nation right now have better talents than France. France are producing some amazing talent and hence they have been dominating international front. You are acting as if he has coached some average players and turned them into world beaters. The guy has some insanely talented players and yet has his team play boring football, lumping into giroud. There is nothing spectacular about that.

JPRouve

Scout
Tell me which other nation right now have better talents than France. France are producing some amazing talent and hence they have been dominating international front. You are acting as if he has coached some average players and turned them into world beaters. The guy has some insanely talented players and yet has his team play boring football, lumping into giroud. There is nothing spectacular about that.
When you judge Deschamps you are not talking about right now, you are talking about the past that started in 2012. For the vast majority of that period France had poor strikers(outside of Benzema and Giroud with Giroud being the best performer), no quality fullbacks, one good CB and only Ribery playing at a high level. It was still the case in 2016 and things started to change in 2017 with the emergence of talented players who still had little experience at the top level. And no I'm saying that he turned average players into world beaters, I'm telling you that he built a team from day one and that it's a crucial part of France success. Football isn't just about fielding 11 players on the field.

JPRouve

Scout
Hopefully going forward Deschamps doesn't feel the need to have such a pragmatic approach with France. There is just way too much talent for him to keep acting like he needs this type of approach.
The issue is that France unlike most big nations can't base its system on the system used by the backbone of the team(Bayern, Juventus, Real Madrid or Barcelona). So pragmatism is the way to go and how France has historically found success.

Andersons Dietician

Surely you lot can take this conversation elsewhere. MARTIAL Performance thread. Clue is in the title. When he steps on the pitch great discuss his performance.

SoCross

5 years ago...

One of Van Gaals best decisions as United manager.

Can't wait to see him build on his best season this season
Gave me a mini heart attack this, thought Martial had joined another club!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
To be fair, Giroud has earned the right to defend his place.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I keep hearing this but every time I see Giroud I still don't see why he's still picked in the first 11 aside for a target man that Deschamps likes but honestly France shouldn't play that way given it's a waste of their attacking talent resources.

Imagine any other top National team where their striker goes a whole world cup tournament w/o as much as a shot on target, it's simply unacceptable. Giroud defense will bring up these other "things" he does which warrant him his place but a striker without a single shot on target in a massive tournament is simple unacceptable.

Also aside from the WC which was poor from him, he has plenty of quiet games(like the one tonight) and he would still be the first name on the team sheet, so he doesn't even need to defend his place since it's his anyways.

If everyone were given fair crack at that striker position without any bias and preferences involved, Giroud wouldn't be anywhere near that starting line up. Deschamps love and fascination of his him is what keep getting him picked, and to be honest seems like almost every single manager has 1 or 2 players they absolutely love whereas they leave almost everyone else dumbfounded.

France simply have to change their approach to the way it suit their attacking talents(switch to a 433) rather what suit Giroud with this target man and hoof ball football. Too much attacking talents right now for them to tie themselves in the feet with the way they chose to play.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I’d need examples of these managers failing with this amount of talent.

I’d love to see Deschamps manage a club too as you have suggested he would be a great manager in that regard. He’d be horrific.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I keep hearing people say it's not a pen but Lindelof pushed him. How is that not a pen?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I keep hearing this but every time I see Giroud I still don't see why he's still picked in the first 11 aside for a target man that Deschamps likes but honestly France shouldn't play that way given it's a waste of their attacking talent resources.

Imagine any other top National team where their striker goes a whole world cup tournament w/o as much as a shot on target, it's simply unacceptable. Giroud defense will bring up these other "things" he does which warrant him his place but a striker without a single shot on target in a massive tournament is simple unacceptable.

Also aside from the WC which was poor from him, he has plenty of quiet games(like the one tonight) and he would still be the first name on the team sheet, so he doesn't even need to defend his place since it's his anyways.

If everyone were given fair crack at that striker position without any bias and preferences involved, Giroud wouldn't be anywhere near that starting line up. Deschamps love and fascination of his him is what keep getting him picked, and to be honest seems like almost every single manager has 1 or 2 players they absolutely love whereas they leave almost everyone else dumbfounded.

France simply have to change their approach to the way it suit their attacking talents(switch to a 433) rather what suit Giroud with this target man and hoof ball football. Too much attacking talents right now for them to tie themselves in the feet with the way they chose to play.
It's a bit like the Fermino discussion. For some reason, France's most important attackers seem to play well with him in the side. And with reason, managers are often scared to change a winning formula. I would rather see Martial but I can understand if Deschamps wants to stick with the guy that led the line to a world cup victory. I am in no doubt Martial will eventually take the spot.

AshRK

Classic Martial winning yet another pen. He’s a nightmare for defenders, I still think he really deserves to start for France.
Absolutely but the issue is Deschamps doesn't know how to play without giroud. Even today mbappe was subbed for martial when they both should be playing together.

Paul_Scholes18

Classic Martial winning yet another pen. He’s a nightmare for defenders, I still think he really deserves to start for France.
Our players are so bloody good at getting pens. I have heard Van der Beek is good at that too.
We might beat scoring penalties record this season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

It made sense before where they had no clear striker and it brought the best out of Griezmann while he was their best player. He isn't their best player anymore though, is on the decline and so they shouldn't play around him like that. Going to take a while for it to happen but you can make a decent argument that France would be better off benching both Griezmann and Giroud.

RedStarUnited

The guy that somehow had one shot on target in a world cup playing for the winning team. As a starter nonetheless!

Thats exactly what people above are saying, this French team could be so much more than what it is.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
The guy that somehow had one shot on target in a world cup playing for the winning team. As a starter nonetheless!

Thats exactly what people above are saying, this French team could be so much more than what it is.
More than world champions ?

Idxomer

The hesitation in front of the goal from Martial lately is slightly worrying, he needs to pull the trigger quicker than that. He seems at times to want to dribble with the ball into the net. Hopefully, it's just a hiccup and he returns to his lethal self with the new season.

Paul_Scholes18

He needs to be challenged for his place to get the best out of him. Sancho in and Greenwood might challenge for that central role too. Hopefully that push Martial on to perform better.

Chief123

It was a joke of a penalty though. Martial just laid down. Obvious dive.
At first I did think it looked soft. But having looked at it again a few times, it does look like Martials left foot gets clipped immediately after the push which is what sends him down. It’s hard to see from the camera angle but it does look like he got clipped.

Foxbatt

Otto Rehhagel won the Euros for Greece with a team no one has heard of. Some played for lower end of the PL and most of them were not even regulars. Deschamps was lucky to win the WC too.
If he hadn't won then he should have been crucified. He should have won a lot more with that team. A better manager would have won more.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Otto Rehhagel won the Euros for Greece with a team no one has heard of. Some played for lower end of the PL and most of them were not even regulars. Deschamps was lucky to win the WC too.
If he hadn't won then he should have been crucified. He should have won a lot more with that team. A better manager would have won more.
Greece winning Euro 2004 still shocks me. Like...how the feck?

Status
Not open for further replies.