Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli Zee

Thought he played well. Had some good dribbles and runs throughout the game. It didn't help that he was getting fouled very often

amsoUG

Too many fans here just remember who scored and who assisted, and you wonder why English football never amounts to much. If you think Martial did not play well, might be due to your nation's 'football tradition'. Some of us global fans enjoy players with actual ability on the ball, we do not like the headless-chicken-type football played for media and fan applause.

acnumber9

Would you rather he skipped off with glee?
I’d rather he didn’t look like somebody just run over his dog. It speaks to an issue with him seemingly thinking everything is owed to him. I don’t expect many here to agree though. There’s lunatics here that think he’s better than Harry Kane.

Last edited:
Too many fans here just remember who scored and who assisted, and you wonder why English football never amounts to much. If you think Martial did not play well, might be due to your nation's 'football tradition'. Some of us global fans enjoy players with actual ability on the ball, we do not like the headless-chicken-type football played for media and fan applause.
appalling post here pal. The posts criticising martial have nothing to do with nationality of where the fans are from. Personally I’ve said he did well in the first half, and then he took his foot off the pedal, as did the whole team. Crank back your xenophobic views, and we will all be better off.

Banana Republic

I agree with those who said he had a good first half.
He was much better tonight and early on was actually pressing and chasing down the opponents! Usually unheard of from Martial.

Some good dribbling and runs on the left, linking up well with Telles and was involved in quite a few of the slick quick passing moves.
Best moment was the burst from CM and playing a great through ball into the box, which should have been Bruno’s hat-trick from open play (after he gave the pen away to Rashford). If Bruno had connected with that ball, everyone would have been raving about Martial’s assist.

Started to fade after the break and vanished once the 3 subs were made and we started losing the midfield.
If only Martial can sustain that early motivation and effort in every other game.

Last edited:

tjb

Keep him on the left please. It's the position that masks most of his problems imo. Allows him more opportunities to have a run against a defender and uses his good dribbling abilities.

He'll never be a top goal scorer to play as number 9 but he'll be more useful for us on the left long term.
Start him over Rashford? No chance.

Rashfod can be inconsistent, Martial is average most of the time, then good in really short spells, with one or two seemingly excellent games sprinkled( which usually consistent of 20 minutes of excellence).

tjb

Martial's still not there. No idea what it is that's weighing him down but he's making bad decisions, doing bad things and making himself less effective as a result.
Being "there" requires a lot of attributes...so many attributes that make him potentially not even close to "there". That's the reason why people can't figure out Martial. He has a few sexy attributes, which he can turn on a few times every ten games, but for the most part, he's lacking in the areas his position requires a consistent player to have.

He is very limited with his feet, as he can only play off of his left side, which cuts him off from any dribbling, passing or shooting advantages he may have. His first touch is average, his off the ball movement is poor, his reading of the game is also poor, his passing and vision are average, he consistently lacks concentration, determination to get to the final ball, work rate in the press, anticipation and general in game awareness. These are a lot of attributes, in which the best and most consistent players have. As a left winger for example, Mane is aggressive, very concentrated, constantly anticipates passes and mistakes, works extremely hard off the ball both in his off the ball movement and pressing and has a good in game awareness. His ability to play on both flanks allows him to roam in attack and his work rate on the ball allows him to constantly attack. This is a similar set of attributes that most top attackers in the game today currently have, Martial isn't simply lacking one or two, he's lacking a boatload of areas.

Devil may care

Class in the first half, easily the best dribbler in the squad. Faded a bit in the second half but the whole team pretty much did.

SambaBoy

His attitude can be pretty poor in games I feel. Constantly throwing his arms up in the air if one of the attacker doesn't find him with a pass. He did it with Greenwood twice and it wasn't even a clear pass he should have made. Martial is probably guilty of taking one touch too many more than most.

MrBest

Has all the talent to be world class, just not the football brain. Takes too many touches at the wrong time, plays weird passes and tries to do too much. He's 24 now, he really needs to add consistency to his game. That being said, he may be lacking match fitness. I think Cavani will stake a claim for his position in big games, he plays the striker role more naturally. I don't understand what Martials best position is. A number of times crosses were going into the box and he was nowhere to be seen. Even as a wide forward or a number 10, i expect darting runs in the box to get on the end of something. He thinks he can score worldies every game, only Messi can.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I’d rather he didn’t look like somebody just run over his dog. It speaks to an issue with him seemingly thinking everything is owed to him. I don’t expect many here to agree though. There’s lunatics here that think he’s better than Harry Kane.
That's some ridiculious armchair psychology man :lol: Are you being serious right now ?

el3mel

Probably one of the worst posts I have read on this forum. You won't get promoted quickly with this stuff.

el3mel

Start him over Rashford? No chance.

Rashfod can be inconsistent, Martial is average most of the time, then good in really short spells, with one or two seemingly excellent games sprinkled( which usually consistent of 20 minutes of excellence).
Either rotate him and Rashford on the left periodically or try Rashford on the right. Anyway, neither should play centrally for us. Neither of them are suited for a long term lone number 9 that will bang on goals consistently every week. They are both better coming from the flank.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
That's quite presumptive. Nobody likes being subbed off.

HowieC

Wel
Well said. Some sophistication in watching our games is called for. Too much commentary on sulking, attitude, busting guts etc, and too little on whether our players actually are smart and able to manipulate the ball effectively.

tjb

Either rotate him and Rashford on the left periodically or try Rashford on the right. Anyway, neither should play centrally for us. Neither of them are suited for a long term lone number 9 that will bang on goals consistently every week. They are both better coming from the flank.
Truth is, I don't see the point in doing so anyway. We have Greenwood coming through, with Cavani already here.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He obviously had a terrible start to the season but there are signs that he's turning it around. I actually thought he was fairly good for the first 20 minutes against West Brom (despite the abuse he received after the game) and again today for the first half. Hopefully that improvement continues.

ti vu

Even when looking past scoring, we can see how a no 9 can force thing like Cavani did for the first 2 goals. He didn't assist, nor had the final touch, but the movement, the intent was enough to throw off the defender and GK even just a bit. Better defender, GK might not make the mistake, but still at top level a forward would at least try everything to gain an edge.

Cavani has hardly been as good as his prime, but it's enough to show what is lacking in both Rashford and especially Martial game as a no 9. Still mad that we let that "block X YZ player development and failed to land Haaland.

Number32

Well said. Some sophistication in watching our games is called for. Too much commentary on sulking, attitude, busting guts etc, and too little on whether our players actually are smart and able to manipulate the ball effectively.
You may enjoy his ability on the ball, but Adel Taarabt would be the best footballer if that was so valuable, let alone Robinho. At the end of the day, the score line is what matter for every footballer, Diego Maradona couldn't be so famous if he was not winning.

Martial could be more prolific if he change his attitude, and we would have won more games. That's why people keeps talking about it.

gajender

Even when looking past scoring, we can see how a no 9 can force thing like Cavani did for the first 2 goals. He didn't assist, nor had the final touch, but the movement, the intent was enough to throw off the defender and GK even just a bit. Better defender, GK might not make the mistake, but still at top level a forward would at least try everything to gain an edge.

Cavani has hardly been as good as his prime, but it's enough to show what is lacking in both Rashford and especially Martial game as a no 9. Still mad that we let that "block X YZ player development and failed to land Haaland.
Do you genuinely believe this nonsense.

youngrell

It’s clear that he’s annoyed at his own form/performance rather than thinking he’s too good to be replaced. Contrast this to when he got subbed after his hat trick against Sheff Utd.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Martial is top quality. It’s the managers fault that they are not setting up the team as per Martial’s strengths. Give him time to adapt, he will be a world class player in few years time. He has the backing and prayers of a large fan base.

Mourinho wanted to replace this gem of a player (and Pogba too) with some experienced player with no flashy skills.... crazy.
I honestly dont know if you are taking the piss here or actually mean this. "Setting up the team to accommodate x player" has become sort of a Caf meme these last years

Edit: I saw your post down below. Thank god :lol:

Rajma

Ive said that to my son more than once. He hangs on when a quick pass is the right option, tries his pirouette then drops to the floor. He needs benching and told he needs to up his game when he gets chances. I would try him the last 20 mins in the next 3-4 games. Give Greenwood his spot. Start Cavani Greenwood Rashford up top for next 3-4 games see how or if they gel. Cant do any worse.
Exactly, what’s what I want to see as well.

SSSSnake

Seemed to slow the play right down. Took too many touches and it enabled their defence to get into position. Rashford use to do this a lot last season. However I do appreciate some of his one touch link up play which I wish Rashford was better at. Sometimes I just wish we can combine the two players!!

zenith

The competition from cavani will do him good. I'm quite sure he will get back on the scoring track soon enough.

Lebo

I thought Martial had a decent game. Getting fouled a lot doesn’t help his rhythm either but he needs to improve his output. Other than that I can’t complain.

By the way can people stop judging players based on facial expressions? We don’t have the same facial expression for the same emotions.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Wel

Work rate is not some overrated thing that only shite players needs to do to compensate for their lack of skills. Its equally as important as talent

The problem with Martial when hes in this kind of form is that he offers very little and half the time you barely notice hes even on the pitch because he just fades out, and when he does get involved its usually not a very good one. Martial has always fluctuated between amazing and complete shit, and when he was 22 most fans accepted that because he was young and an inexperienced. He turns 25 in a few days and should really be in his prime years now. Unless he steps it up massively and shows consistent good form for the rest of the season, he should imo be one of the first ones we look to get rid this summer.

Plenty of players throughout history have looked amazing on their day, but ultimately failed to make it at a big club because they were not consistent enough and a couple of purple patches each season is not enough if you want to win silverware

wolvored

Martial does look happier and more effective on the wing. He just doesn't have the skillset to be a central striker. And I really don't like that he ducks out of aerial challenges, where he could have just really scored with his head. If we had managed to get Haaland last season, would have been interesting to see what would have happened to Martial.

Although, thinking about his skillset, Thierry Henry was probably similar, of course better in terms of intelligence and desire. Just wonder what made him SO much more successful?
Henry was head and shoulders better than Martial. Probably THE best player to play in the premier. He could score all sort of goals, go past players for fun, put other players through and win games on his own.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I actually thought he wasn't that bad. But I think the glaring issue really for both Martial and Rashford is that we have yet another triad where one player works in their position and pushes the other guys out into another position that isn't their strength. If we didn't have Martial or Rashford you could probably get away with having Cavani and some wide players in the attack. The problem is having a no9 that creates play with his movement really a) puts into stark contrast just how bad Martial's movement is and b) causes another huge selection headache.

The best way to describe Martial's game today was "get the fecking thing and go hard at the back line". When he did it he looked good, when I wanted him to do it I was left wondering what he would do with it. I think it must be a bit difficult for Martial being shunted around everywhere, we've seen Rashford can adapt to all three positions across the front 3 but I think it is taking a toll on Martial. Be mature and hold up play at 9, now go on the left get it and rinse feckers left and right, now be mature up front. I don't think he's comfortable playing this way the way Rashford is.

Rossa

You just managed to come across as an arrogant arse, my friend - speaking from outside of the UK.

Deery

Dreary
He wasn’t that good last night only remember one dribble and he lost the ball after it, but we have to keep playing him into form..

Rossa

I think he and Telles worked quite well together. He was constantly fouled and the opposition should have had a couple of yellows because of it. What I like about him on the left is his dribbling and close control. The defenders can do little but back away from him because he has such close control, strength and acceleration that they don't trust themselves trying to tackle. In the second half, he faded with the team. He isn't the talisman to lift the team, but when the team is playing well, he often contributes quite well and opens up space for others. He is far too inconsistent though.

Mick1

Being able to consistently win 4/5 fouls a game in dangerous areas, many of which penalties, is completely missed by people on here.
Do you realise the danger every single time Martial is on the ball? Hanging on to the ball too much usually means getting a free kick in a very dangerous area, a very useful skill when our team has giants in it and Bruno on dead balls.

Relax guys, he was litteraly voted best player last season.
No goals, but about 45 free kicks won.

Jeffthered

Nothing to do with nationality or culture. Martial continues to flatter to deceive, as he has done for years at Man United.

He's a limited player, with limited game intelligence, he over-plays, hoards possession, and STILL cannot decide where his best position is. He is not clinical in front of goal, he is inconsistent, doesn't score or guarantee loads of goals (ie Kane, Lewandoski, Aguero....), Doesn't lead the line or inspire the team, lacking personality and character..and these attributes are very, very important, especially in that role at that club. No one expects anything of Martial. I look to Rashford and Greenwood to inspire our team, our club, and make an impact on games.

The fact that we are STILL asking these questions about Martial, highlights and reflects the indecision which is currently defining our team, squad, playing style and ambition.

OGS answer to all this? Give him an improved contract ffs!

He will score a few goals soon, one or two will be great to watch. And then we will be back where we always are with Martial. Mourinho was right about him, and just brought in Ibra' in his late thirties, who had more impact in one season, than Martial had yet to achieve in years at OT.

Cash in and get rid , I have been saying this on here for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.