Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delano

I saw a lot of positives last season and I really thought he would kick on. For whatever reason, he has been atrocious this season.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Except the miss I must be the only one that thought he played well
He had decent moments, but totally undone by his lack of nerves in the moments of truth. That chance after the Cavani lob off the crossbar, a confident Martial fakes the shot, drags it back to his left and slots it in an empty net. Instead he shoots it straight at two defenders. Completely out of sorts, and he's paid to finish those chances. He wasn't the worst player, but he was the worst forward along with Rashford (who at least got a goal and didn't have those chances or misses).

Yagami

Good post resistant
Who else missed two sitters like Martial tonight though?
Off the top of my head, Bruno had two one on ones but decided against shooting both times which were pretty costly, and Cavani had a one on one, too

Two of those three good chances were brilliantly created by Martial. His finishing deserves stick but he could've had two assists himself.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
One good season out of 5. He’s not a shit player like some make out but he’s not good enough to be one of the main sources of goals at a club this size. Just not a top striker.

Djemba-Djemba

Off the top of my head, Bruno had two one on ones but decided against shooting both times which were pretty costly, and Cavani had a one on one, too

Two of those three good chances were brilliantly created by Martial. His finishing deserves stick but he could've had two assists himself.
You can't criticise Cavani for hitting the bar though, that would have been an incredible finish.

We had plenty of occasions with poor final decisions, as we always seem to have these days I agree but the only out and out terrible finishes were from Martial.

If it was a one off I think you'd just say it was one of those days but from the Europa Semi final last season Martial has been dreadful and his finishing has been atrocious. Has as many red cards and own goals as he does open play goals.

It's like he has the yips in front of goal, he either tamely hits it straight at the keeper or he blasts it hight and wide.

eire-red

Bruno scores from that brilliant pass from him, or Cavani scores from his through ball, and he gets praised tonight. Fine margins.
In a game like this you have to take those chances. End of. I like him but he'll never be the player we want, and tonight was an illustration of why we need Haaland instead of someone like Sancho.

You can't be a top club and when the ball falls to your no. 9, you're expecting him to miss. A few good moments, and some nice passes as you said, but you have to be judged by putting them chances in the back of the net when it matters most.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
You just cannot depend on him when something is needed. Reminds me of Sterling in that when city are three nil up, he will score a few. But when the chips are down, like against Lyon last year, you cannot depend on him.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
In a game like this you have to take those chances. End of. I like him but he'll never be the player we want, and tonight was an illustration of why we need Haaland instead of someone like Sancho.

You can't be a top club and when the ball falls to your no. 9, you're expecting him to miss. A few good moments, and some nice passes as you said, but you have to be judged by putting them chances in the back of the net when it matters most.
Agreed.

Telegram Sam

His worst period at the club infront of goal. Even if he wasn't playing well previouly you'd still trust him with a chance.

Almost as though he's trying too hard and/or has totally lost his confidence. Hopefully he takes his next chance and settles down a bit for the rest of the season getting back to a bit of normality. Still not convinced about him long term but there's still a player in him.

RooneyLegend

Had some great moments but let down by his finishing. His ability is really high though and you can see he belongs in that sort of company.

Yagami

Good post resistant

That's fair. And, as I said, he does deserve criticism for his misses and poor season in general. I just don't think him being singled out as the biggest culprit of loss tonight is right.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Fred 2 yellows to us missing chances to Martial missed a sitter and to Ole not subbed off Fred.

We can find excuses in defense for Fred, Ole & the missed chances but the Martial sitter, you just can’t find excuses to defend that. It was a beautiful ball from Rashford that rolling on the ground smoothly and Martial sent the ball to Mars.

predator

Youth NITK
Love the guy and wish he scored that goal as it would've kept alot of folks of his back but he has to score there.

His dribbling and agility is amazing and always will be but in a team like ours when chances against possession based teams come few and far between, you simply have to finish them.

As I say, I love martial and find it hard to tear into him, like all our players tbh, but sadly his lack of instinct infront of goal is worrying.

OldTrevil

Created so much? The only real chances we had in the game were created by Rashford and Bruno. He played one good long pass to Bruno.

Edit: Just remembered the Cavani one too.
There's also a beauty lob he did midway in the first half to Bruno, who miss-controlled and couldn't set his feet . Those are the glaring ones mind you

mav_9me

Personally I'm done with him. Always thought there was a top player but I don't think he has the desire or mentality.

snk123

The haters are out in full force but he was very good apart from one sitter. The second one was just good defending/block.

Really hope he leaves us for Barca/Madrid in the summer to show us why we don’t deserve to have nice things. We’re too toxic.

eire-red

That's fair. And, as I said, he does deserve criticism for his misses and poor season in general. I just don't think him being singled out as the biggest culprit of loss tonight is right.
No, you're right. The defending on the first goal is slack. Cavani and AWB are slow to get out for the second. Bruno squandered a couple good positions. It's just when you put Martial's performance in the context of his season so far it's hard to take.

I just feel like when you're on top like we were in those opening 20 mins of the second half, and you miss an open goal and another big chance shortly after, it can just drains thr team. He needs to be scoring, that's the difference between the 'nearly' teams and the the real top sides.

PoTMS

Used to be my favourite player but I'm slowly getting tired of his inconsistency. If we get an offer, we should move him on as there's an abundance of left sided attackers currently.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
That's not good enough. Terrible finishing. Expected way more from him this season. Annoyed.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He can do so much better than that and even after Jose's sacking he still can't excel to full extent of potential.

I'm seriously tired of guessing what is actually wrong with him.

kundalini

Had some good moments, decent shot that led to Wan-Bissaka setting up Rashford to score with help from a deflection. Also good pass for Cavani whose chip hit the bar. Super long pass to Fernandes who wasted the opening, opting to pass, rather than shoot, then failing to execute the pass.

Awful finish for his big chance from Rashford's pass at the start of the 2nd half. Not sure about his attempt on the rebound that got blocked after Cavani's chip hit the bar; blasting it may have been the only option.

Thought he didn't help out enough defensively. It was far too easy for them to create down their right.

Last edited:

el3mel

Is there anyone really that still sees Martial as a potential main player in a title winning team ? Teams which require their players to perform week in week out ? Is there anyone still chasing such potential in him ?

I'm sorry guys but I'm absolutely done. I'm done repeating the same mistake 100 times. I'm done being content with a player who won't be anything than a top 4 quality.

AshRK

One french striker scored 4 goals and the other missed sitters. One is regarded as shit and the other is rated as genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.