Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

Need a 7 goals in 7 games run right about now to cement ourselves as title challengers

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He can still end up putting decent numbers in for the season. If he stays focus and shows a bit more urgency he can get 15 for the season, Which will be an acceptable return for him.
That’s not the numbers you want from a Manchester United number 9 though,

I just don’t think he’s a central striker. Him and Rashford should be competing for that left hand side role.

Leonzo1

That’s not the numbers you want from a Manchester United number 9 though,

I just don’t think he’s a central striker. Him and Rashford should be competing for that left hand side role.
15 goals as the main striker for Man Utd is not good enough.

Absolutely not an acceptable return.
what I meant was that despite his horrid start he can turn it around into something acceptable. not saying 15 goals is good enough, just that it's the bare minimum we expect from him. plus the whole "number 9" is kind of a myth. we barely play with a proper 9 anyways so it's a lazy argument. Liverpool do alright and their so called number 9 barley scores any goals.

AR87

Thought his touches weren't quite as sharp as needed but that his movement and willingness to find spaces to make himself available in build up or running in behind was excellent.

I think he's very close to finding a good run of form.

Plymouth Red

Nothing but good can come from tonight for him. He scored, he created chances for others and the team won.
Martial is a confidence roller coaster player. When he’s high he’s stratospheric but when he’s low it’s a pretty deep trough.
Gotta hope that he can build on tonIght and stay up there for a long while.

Rossa

Looks slower. Even that run where he set up Rashford well, he looked heavy and not that exlosive. There was once a discussion of Martial vs Rashford for pace. Not anymore.

edcunited1878

Looks slower. Even that run where he set up Rashford well, he looked heavy and not that exlosive. There was once a discussion of Martial vs Rashford for pace. Not anymore.
What's the point of pace if you don't put it to good use by making the right decision? Play with the right tempo which is never just one speed.

interesting, I’ve not thought Martial has been particularly quick for a few years. He’s not slow, but he’s not a player who can run away from defenders.

He’s good dribbling with the ball, in the same way Hazard is, but wouldn’t describe him as quick either.

Rossa

interesting, I’ve not thought Martial has been particularly quick for a few years. He’s not slow, but he’s not a player who can run away from defenders.

He’s good dribbling with the ball, in the same way Hazard is, but wouldn’t describe him as quick either.
Agree with this. He can run pretty fast whilst carrying the ball close to his feet, and being able to change direction at that speed. His acceleration is also good, but his top speed isn’t great, or he just never uses it.

Get In Scholesy

I thought he was decent today. Very happy he got his goal, he was involved a bit more today than recent matches. Need him to start firing again.

By the way, that touch for Rashford’s second was so bad it turned out good haha. Got himself a nice assist from it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Even if he doesn’t score 20 plus or 25 plus league goals but if we can score 15 league goals plus 15 league assists, that’s good enough to me. You can view and judge strikers in different way. We need him minimum to hit more than 25 combined league goals & assists this season.

meamth

Even if he doesn’t score 20 plus or 25 plus league goals but if we can score 15 league goals plus 15 league assists, that’s good enough to me. You can view and judge strikers in different way. We need him minimum to hit more than 25 combined league goals & assists this season.
Let's make it 30. He will find his form and confidence back.

Sylar

Glad he scored. Hopefully can go on a run especially with Cavani looking to miss games

Rashford looks better with him around as well

UncleBob

I thought he was decent today. Very happy he got his goal, he was involved a bit more today than recent matches. Need him to start firing again.

By the way, that touch for Rashford’s second was so bad it turned out good haha. Got himself a nice assist from it.
How so? His first touch directs the ball where he wants it, into open space on the opposite side of where the defenders are going, where he can shoot from with his left. If Rashford doesn't come in from the side, Martial is shooting with his left.
It obviously wasn't meant as a pass, but it wasn't a poor first touch either

Cultured left ankle

Much better today; especially after the goal. Unlucky not to get 2, lucky to get the assist; but such is life as a striker I guess...

I was happy to see him dropping back a bit more to help out in midfield compared to some previous games; it reminded me of his purple patch last season where he'd be fighting for the ball in the middle of the pitch. He also seemed more certain with his running at the denfenders. Perhaps this was because he was up against a team of cloggers, but he showed his quality today. What a difference a goal makes.

Mcking

Good to see him back among the goals. A single goal after the thirteenth gameweek is not what I imagined at the start of the season. Need him to go on a run now.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Watching that third goal, I can't help drawing parallels to Lukaku's sharp decline in his touch/speed/stamina two years ago.

I know Martial has been inconsistent but the consensus on here generally was that this stemmed from his lack of application or his mentality, not making the right runs etc. What I'm seeing this season is him getting into the right places but being let down by his touch, finishing and speed. He looks a tad bit overweight, we all know he has lost a yard of pace, but now his close control and finishing which were always consistent seem to have gone too. I have never seen such a comically bad touch from him as the assist for Rashy's second goal.

If I'm not imagining all this, then I wonder if it's a far stretch to assume the fitness team have him on the same 'vitamins' or training regimen that Lukaku was on. I always felt all that talk about bulking up for the world cup didn't make any sense, it was so weird. So naturally it was quickly made into a talking point. I feel it hasn't been noticed yet with Martial because he already is a scape goat, so whenever he puts in bad performances his mentality and inconsistency is always going to be talked about.

Anybody else notice this?

UncleBob

Watching that third goal, I can't help drawing parallels to Lukaku's sharp decline in his touch/speed/stamina two years ago.

I know Martial has been inconsistent but the consensus on here generally was that this stemmed from his lack of application or his mentality, not making the right runs etc. What I'm seeing this season is him getting into the right places but being let down by his touch, finishing and speed. He looks a tad bit overweight, we all know he has lost a yard of pace, but now his close control and finishing which were always consistent seem to have gone too. I have never seen such a comically bad touch from him as the assist for Rashy's second goal.

If I'm not imagining all this, then I wonder if it's a far stretch to assume the fitness team have him on the same 'vitamins' or training regimen that Lukaku was on. I always felt all that talk about bulking up for the world cup didn't make any sense, it was so weird. So naturally it was quickly made into a talking point. I feel it hasn't been noticed yet with Martial because he already is a scape goat, so whenever he puts in bad performances his mentality and inconsistency is always going to be talked about.

Anybody else notice this?
:lol:

His first touch was perfectly fine against Sheffield United, watch the replay of the chance where he set up Mata.

In terms of our third goal, he puts the ball where he wants it, it's lined up in the opposite direction where the opposition is running and he's going to shoot with his left when he sees that Rashford is coming in so he leaves it for him. If Rashford doesn't come in from the side, Martial is shooting with his left.

Christ

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Still too cowardly on 50-50s, sometimes even when he has the advantage. Minute 54, favourable break, he pulls himself out when he had the advantage and was 3 yards from Sheffield's penalty box.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
:lol:

His first touch was perfectly fine against Sheffield United, watch the replay of the chance where he set up Mata.

In terms of our third goal, he puts the ball where he wants it, it's lined up in the opposite direction where the opposition is running and he's going to shoot with his left when he sees that Rashford is coming in so he leaves it for him. If Rashford doesn't come in from the side, Martial is shooting with his left.

Christ
Do you think his touch for his goal was suspect?

Get In Scholesy

How so? His first touch directs the ball where he wants it, into open space on the opposite side of where the defenders are going, where he can shoot from with his left. If Rashford doesn't come in from the side, Martial is shooting with his left.
The touch was overly heavy, he may have wanted to set it up for his left, but it was beyond where he wanted it to be. It fell perfectly for Rashfords run though.

OldTrevil

Yea it was the right pass to himself into space, but slightly overhit, and Rashford capitalized on it. I'm sure Martial doesn't mind as long as the ball's in the back of the net :keano:

I like how he's been varying his touch of late though, makes him even more unpredictable

RooneyLegend

He just doesn't suit our team and play. He's one of those strikers for technical sides that play a lot between the lines.

Man Utd 6:2 Leeds United

RuudtheRed

Not sure if he will get the credit for his performance today because people will dwell on his missed chances (rightly so). Regardless, he proved his worth by being heavily involved in at least 3 goals. He just gets penalties!

Holocene

His hold up play is underrated.

Did everything today apart from score. Getting his mojo back.

spiriticon

Fantastic game today bar missing chances.

Did he end up with like 4 assists or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.