Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

Only PL striker I'd pick before him is aguero, in terms of finishing; for playmaking, none

Did you ever think of the possibility that Halaand didn't want to come here because he wasn't guaranteed a starting spot? We can play hypotheticals all day
Harry Kane is on the phone, he wants a word.

No I didn't think this in the slightest. Word is because of release clause which we now know does indeed exist and United would never have agreed to.

Quinzaine

Straw-man argument. I never claimed we would currently be better without him in the team. This nonsense that because we currently don't have a better option and as a result play worse without him, is justification that he can't severely be improved upon is laughable. Cavani is past it and was brought in as another option, whilst still scoring just as many goals as Martial despite barely playing football for god knows how long and struggling with fitness.

How has his general play or consistency improved? Has he significantly improved his movement off the ball, a clear issue with his game for years now? No. Has he improved his heading ability? No. Has he improved his hold up play significantly? No. The only thing you could maybe argue is an improvement to his finishing, but even then, bar the second half of last season, his finishing this season has reverted back to being extremely inconsistent and at times - poor.

He's simply not good enough. He has the ability, but the reason people compare him to Rashford is because unlike Rashford, he's stagnated as a footballer. He is better off the left IMO, but he will never take that position from Marcus who is continuing to improve as a player and is already a superior footballer imo.

You'd be fecking crazy to think he's even close to players like Haaland, Lewandowski etc. - the calibre of players we should be targeting as our main forward. He's 25 years old now, no longer a 'talent' and I haven't seen enough consistency to be confident he will ever be more than he currently is. A very good player on his day, who is too inconsistent to ever lead the line for a team that wants to win major trophies.
Almost every player we have can be significantly improved on, but you can't have the best player in the world in every position. If our player of the season last season is somebody we're looking at to be significantly improved on then I'd argue let's just replace everyone in the XI bar Bruno. His hold-up play has undoubtedly improved significantly (do you watch our games?), he has scored more headed goals in the last 18 months for us than he did in his first four years here so yeah he's clearly improved his heading. His finishing has historically been excellent for us and he's been our most clinical attacker infront of goal ahead of Rooney, Ibra, Lukaku, Rashford and other attackers he's played with for us so your comments on his finishing is nothing short of ridiculous. Aside from what he has or hasn't improved on, there are assets he has such as his link-up play, close control, spacial awareness and creativity which for all of Rashford's improvement he will never match, and the majority of other 9s in the world would fail to come close to.

You saying Martial isn't good enough is the exact same as the drivel that came out post-lockdown when Martial was impeccable and Rashford was struggling and there were shouts for Rashford to be replaced etc. It's short-sighted and reactionary, Martial and Rashford have played the same number of games in the league for us in their careers and Martial has more goals and more assists than the latter, but as usual most fans can't see past the last 2-3 months when it comes to making assessments of players unfortunately. Martial has all the tools to be a top top striker and his 2019/2020 season was borderline world-class, he had numbers which matched the likes of Kane and Aubameyang and his form post-lockdown was vital in our climb to getting in the top 4.

Ultimately, everything you have accused Martial of (inconsistency, poor finishing, not being close to the elite in their position) can also be applied to Rashford but either your inability to think more than 10 weeks back or a clear bias on your part has somehow led you to the conclusion that one is undoubtedly on course to being world-class whilst the other isn't even good enough to play for us, it's laughable. The reality is both are amongst our best players and I'm glad Ole can see that.

OldTrevil

Harry Kane is on the phone, he wants a word.

No I didn't think this in the slightest. Word is because of release clause which we now know does indeed exist and United would never have agreed to.
I ain't picking up as long as I have Anto...

Whatever the case, I'd put my money on Martial to win that battle

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What do you mean 1 in 4 finishers? You would expect or at least hope for both players to be hitting 20+ goals.
Large number statistics just do not lie. Marcus/Martial hover around 18% conversion (actually making them 1 in 5 finishers..) for the past 4 seasons. When you realize that they have been our only hope of goals for the past 4 seasons, you can see why we're nothing more than a 4-6th team. Stats aside, anyone that has watched all our games from the past 4 seasons know exactly what I'm talking about - Rashford and Martial are average at best finishers.

Obviously, with the rise of Bruno, these two horrible finishers have been getting significantly higher volume- but their conversion remains the same. They're just scoring more goals due to more chances. Put a Cristiano/Lewandowski/Kane in this volume and you would have them running at 50/60 goals a season. Instead we're praising the lord we have our heavily fed strikers putting 20-30 at best

Raven

Large number statistics just do not lie. Marcus/Martial hover around 18% conversion (actually making them 1 in 5 finishers..) for the past 4 seasons. When you realize that they have been our only hope of goals for the past 4 seasons, you can see why we're nothing more than a 4-6th team. Stats aside, anyone that has watched all our games from the past 4 seasons know exactly what I'm talking about - Rashford and Martial are average at best finishers.

Obviously, with the rise of Bruno, these two horrible finishers have been getting significantly higher volume- but their conversion remains the same. They're just scoring more goals due to more chances. Put a Cristiano/Lewandowski/Kane in this volume and you would have them running at 50/60 goals a season. Instead we're praising the lord we have our heavily fed strikers putting 20-30 at best
I'm pretty sure Martial has one of the highest conversion rates in the league before this season. You're talking bollocks.

Remember the geese

Well if 20 goal season's equate to being a one in four finisher, then expecting anything better than that is completely unrealistic. Also, referring to what they were producing four years ago is utterly irrelevant. Both players have shown an improvement in their productivity over the years. Rashford particularly.

troylocker

Had a great match on Sunday, dispite missing the two "sitters". Was very important for us with great movement, allways a threat and did some great stuff on his own.
Should work on finishing earlier and use his wrist more, takes one touch too many way too often and must stop passing it to the GK.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I'd give him 60 mins up front against Everton. See if he can bag, wrap him up for the weekend.

el3mel

Great cameo. He's regaining form in crucial time for us. Long may it continue.

Dante

Average bang
He looked relaxed when he took the finish for the goal, but really tense when he missed the earlier sitter.

I think his problem has been nerves/pressure. In the last seconds of a match we're already winning, there's nothing riding on Martial putting it in the net so he could let himself ease up. The next step is for him to get into that headspace for the rest of each game.

Hopefully the goal will help ease some of the tension he's been feeling.

Danillaco

What about that French hack? An assist and a goal in less than 20 minutes? Sell him.

acnumber9

Took a bit before he got into the game but played really well. Went looking for the ball and made things happen.

thepolice123

His assist today showed what a crucial player he can be for us. Picked up the ball in the midfield empty space and played the through ball for Cavani. The goal was all Cavani but Martial’s intelligence to drop into the space cannot be understated.

TrustInOle

Finding his form now. Delighted for him, if Greenwood can get going, with Rash Tony, Cavani and Bruno, we will score for fun.

Racking them assists up last two games. :drool:

Edit. Contributed in 9 goals now in 15 games. Not to shabby.

Superunknown

Very good for him to get that goal right at the end. Needs to do more of that, making the right run and just a simple and easy finish past the keeper. When it comes off for him, he looks really classy. Hope he goes on a run and gets a few more soon.

432JuanMata

Needed that. This season he has been poor when put through he either takes a extra touch or hesitates which is unlike him as he is cool in front of goal you can see his confidence is low. Hopefully he is back to his best

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He was very good against Leeds too, just unlucky in front of goal. That's a great sign, playing well even if he's not sharp in front of goal. And did well after he came on and thankful got a goal too. He's looking better.

Liked his movement when he came on. Didn't just mark himself out of the game by standing still out on the wing but actively provided an outlet when our midfielders were blocked off. Cavani's goal came from him drifting into right midfield so Maguire had someone to pass to.

Art

Art the artist
First goal was all Cavani, but it involved martial drifting all the way to the center realizing it was empty to receive it from Maguire. Chuffed for him.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
A goal and an assist, not bad work for 40 mins or so. Let's hope he goes on a run of goal getting now.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Just saw that he got 2 assists for the Leeds game - I'm guessing Mctominay's second and Lindelof. Does the penalty not count?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
What was that defender doing for the Martial's goal? Instead of staying with his runner (Martial) when we broke, he instead went toward the ball(to Rashford) and just let Martial quietly stroll into space to receive a simple pass from Rashford.

That was some awful defending. :lol:

Just saw that he got 2 assists for the Leeds game - I'm guessing Mctominay's second and Lindelof. Does the penalty not count?
No it doesn't for the PL. It counts for things like transfer market or FPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.