Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

lex talionis

Of all the players on the squad, the one who for me suffers from the widest gap of proven ability to actual performances is Anthony Martial. Whatever it takes, he needs a rocket up his arse to put in the effort. The goals will come, but the goals will not back on the back of ability alone. Strikers, and we saw this from Ruud and Rooney and many others over the years, sometimes need to get angry to the bone to take their game to the next level.

Chief123

Forgetting his goal today, he was absolutely fantastic again today.

His hold up play and brute strength under Immense pressure against two strong centre backs was just beautiful. He does this for us so often which goes under the radar. His haters probably won’t notice what he does for us in his hold up. His touch and close control along with his hold up play is just perfect for the players around him.

Brilliant performance.

Idxomer

He has a great understanding with Pogba and Shaw.

Nice header too.

cyberman

Feck me he can hold the ball up. Never mind turn and make space when there isnt any.
Keep it up Anthony

el3mel

Has to be his best performance this season. Top notch overall, great header, great hold up play and linking with other.

InfiniteBoredom

My guy was like a shitting brick wall today, nobody could budge him.

Had chances either side of the goal that would have been lovely had one gone in.

Now put in a similar performance at Anfield and we’re Gucci.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Thought he struggled a bit for the last 20 minutes, but before that he was good. Took the goal well, linked well with others, held it up well (until towards the end).

There were also a number of times where he was in a really good position but Bruno or Rashford messed up the pass (or went for a worse option).

Valencia Shin Crosses

"Ah we need a proper 9 for the hold up play"

Nah feck off, this guy is as good as anyone in football in holding the ball up. Criticize him for missing the target and chances all you want, but Martial is as good as any striker in the world with his back towards the goal bringing other people into the game.

Chief123

Thought he struggled a bit for the last 20 minutes, but before that he was good. Took the goal well, linked well with others, held it up well (until towards the end).

There were also a number of times where he was in a really good position but Bruno or Rashford messed up the pass (or went for a worse option).
I actually thought he was crucial in the last 20 minutes. That’s where his hold up play became so important.

Rolaholic

He's slowly finding his stride at the best possible moment for us right now. We keep getting consistent goal contributions from him, Greenwood and Cavani when back and we really just might mount a proper title charge for #21 in 2021...

El Jefe

"Ah we need a proper 9 for the hold up play"

Nah feck off, this guy is as good as anyone in football in holding the ball up. Criticize him for missing the target and chances all you want, but Martial is as good as any striker in the world with his back towards the goal bringing other people into the game.
You must only watch us then. His hold up play isn't great at all. He's got a good first touch yes but when CBs are tight on him, he'll lose the ball or underhit the pass as he did quite a lot tonight.

Happy he scored and he looked more lively today but still not close to last season's form. Faded badly in the second half.

Devil may care

Took his goal really well and he made a number of good runs to open up space and passing angles.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Im his biggest critic but he was very good today. If he could replicate it next matches then I'd be more than happy.

Andersons Dietician

Thought he was very good today. Worked his socks off. Hold up play, link up play and he took his goal well. I loved one moment when he just drive at the back line. Really showed his pace there which I think he really underuses. For a moment looked like the only way to stop him was take him down.

Even did well defending. Even organising people to pick up players. He should probably have a word with Rashford to see why he doesn’t pass but meh.

Valencia Shin Crosses

You must only watch us then. His hold up play isn't great at all. He's got a good first touch yes but when CBs are tight on him, he'll lose the ball or underhit the pass as he did quite a lot tonight.

Happy he scored and he looked more lively today but still not close to last season's form. Faded badly in the second half.
And you must not watch us at all, because he’s the best we have at resisting pressure and holding the ball up

snk123

Under or over hit some passes today. Hold up play was excellent - he is better than Cavani at that - which people always miss.
Rashford was very selfish today, should link up with Martial more..

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Martial left wing, Rashford right wing, Cavani CF. Gives us a great balance.
I'd like to see Cavani right wing. Cut in and shoot. He's done that for Uruguay I think. Martial's hold-up play is better than Cavani's, Rashford much better on the left, their combination works better that way too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He did very well to get his first goal from open play of the season that wasn’t actually his first goal from open play of the season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Great to see Tony Martial on the scoresheet. Love it when he gets headed goals in the box. That's the kind of goal you need your #9 getting regularly.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'd like to see Cavani right wing. Cut in and shoot. He's done that for Uruguay I think. Martial's hold-up play is better than Cavani's, Rashford much better on the left, their combination works better that way too.
I don't think he has that in him anymore consistently. He had to do it at PSG as well and managed when Ibra was there, but that's not his strong suit when he was in his physical prime and pretty sure it'd be pretty awful to see in the last years of his career. The problem is no one really shines on the right wing, Greenwood had some moments there but he's gotta get past whatever's holding him back this season.

InfiniteBoredom

I don't think he has that in him anymore consistently. He had to do it at PSG as well and managed when Ibra was there, but that's not his strong suit when he was in his physical prime and pretty sure it'd be pretty awful to see in the last years of his career. The problem is no one really shines on the right wing, Greenwood had some moments there but he's gotta get past whatever's holding him back this season.
I think a sort of 4-2-2-2 could work with Rashford and Cavani furthest forward when we attack, would put a great strain on our fullbacks and midfield though.

El Jefe

Huh? This is a footy forum for Utd fans, not trolls.
And you must not watch us at all, because he’s the best we have at resisting pressure and holding the ball up
Whoscored records him having 2.2 dispossesions per game in the PL. Only strikers with more are Zaha and Antonio have more and that's understandable as their teams play more direct than we do.

He also has 2.7 unsuccessful touches per game. Not the worst among strikers in the league but nowhere near the best either.

The stats don't back you up. Martial's hold up play is average at best.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Whoscored records him having 2.2 dispossesions per game in the PL. Only strikers with more are Zaha and Antonio have more and that's understandable as their teams play more direct than we do.

He also has 2.7 unsuccessful touches per game. Not the worst among strikers in the league but nowhere near the best either.

The stats don't back you up. Martial's hold up play is average at best.
For centre forwards on whoscored (8 games+) only Firmino and Jiminez complete more passes per 90.

None attempt or complete more dribbles - hence the high dispossessions stat. He attempts nearly twice as many dribbles (4, successful 2.5) than any other striker other than Zaha (3.4, 1.6).

So which stats don't back up that his hold up play is good?

MetoTTT

Gifted lad with a lot of potential. Was very frustrated with him. If he works hard he could be a Benzema type of striker here. He can be a lot better than he is now. Cmon Tony!

ShinjiNinja26

Really happy Tony scored! Hopefully goes on a run now, also his hold up play has improved dramatically!! The ball is almost glued to his feet at times and he’s able to to simply turn the defender and start running at goal, it’s a very good attribute to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.