Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I haven't been on here for a long time. I see that at least one thing hasn't changed. Martial is still crap. I'm guessing the same culprits are making excuses for him.
Two things haven’t changed in that case people unfairly slating him are still spouting crap too.

A balanced view is this season he started really poorly and since his red card has been in much better form scoring, creating and importantly being a key part of our build up play. But nuance is rarely a thing people value.

Not good enough yet this season but still plenty of time to have a successful season and also shown exactly the skills we need in our attacking play albeit not consistently since the start. However as the age old adage goes form is temporary and we’ll see if his post lockdown streak was just form or him finally showing his class.

Renegade

Ole should have started him yesterday and have him score some goals to boost his confidence. What is the point of wasting minutes on someone like Lingard who is not even got to stay. Wierd management that.
There’s no guarantee he would have even scored vs Watford if we’re honest. We’re in a busy period we can’t waste important rest time to try let our main striker boost his confidence. Especially with Cavani suspended.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Two things haven’t changed in that case people unfairly slating him are still spouting crap too.

A balanced view is this season he started really poorly and since his red card has been in much better form scoring, creating and importantly being a key part of our build up play. But nuance is rarely a thing people value.

Not good enough yet this season but still plenty of time to have a successful season and also shown exactly the skills we need in our attacking play albeit not consistently since the start. However as the age old adage goes form is temporary and we’ll see if his post lockdown streak was just form or him finally showing his class.
You just said he's not good enough yet this season and yet you called people who criticised his performance this season ''unfairly'' & ''spouting crap''. :lol: The best thing of Red Cafe is that we have some comedian to make people laugh reading ridiculous comment.

If player performs then he will get credit, if player is not performing for months already then he will get criticism. That's the most fair thing to do, can't get anything more fair than that.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
You just said he's not good enough yet this season and yet you called people who criticised his performance this season ''unfairly'' & ''spouting crap''. :lol: The best thing of Red Cafe is that we have some comedian to make people laugh reading ridiculous comment.

If player performs then he will get credit, if player is not performing for months already then he will get criticism. That's the most fair thing to do, can't get anything more fair than that.
And you’ve just proved my point exactly. No room for nuance and you rather than reading the full context of a point made jump on one thing.

It is entirely possible to hold the view that his start of the season wasn’t the best and still feel many have spouted crap about how poor he’s been overall.

I have no issue with people criticising performances however there are many who don’t do just that they write a player off and won’t be open to the good that they do either. If you don’t understand the difference I can’t help you.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
And you’ve just proved my point exactly. No room for nuance and you rather than reading the full context of a point made jump on one thing.

It is entirely possible to hold the view that his start of the season wasn’t the best and still feel many have spouted crap about how poor he’s been overall.

I have no issue with people criticising performances however there are many who don’t do just that they write a player off and won’t be open to the good that they do either. If you don’t understand the difference I can’t help you.
If you have no issue with people criticising his performance then why did you have issue about my post for criticising his performance but still give him credit few days ago? You have to be consistent of what you are arguing about, don’t just arguing to someone that actually don’t meet your argument. Few days ago you are arguing to someone who criticised his performance, now you are arguing about people who write him off. This is Martial performance thread and majority the comments from here are about how poor he has been this season, you have some issue with your reading skill mate.

NoPace

5 years from now, we'll still be waiting for him to show his full potential.

But no, let's keep a Striker who's never managed 20 goals in the league(and never will, really) to help us become a force for the league.

Right now, he's a serious liability. His wages for proving absolutely nothing mean he's never going to be an option as a squad player, so if we sign a proper 9, then he's got to be out the door.

I'm tired of the Martial fiasco now. There's a marked difference between him and players who want to be the very best. The talent is there but the application isn't.
I don't think he's as good as people think he is on here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he develops into a very very good striker. He has improved a lot at linking up and coming deep, and while we haven't seen him run at defenders as much we know he can. Can he ever get into good enough positions and become dangerous enough in the box to add 5-10 more goals in the box per season? I'm less sure of it. But he seems like the kind of guy that we should sell and replace with a better 9 and then just accept that he'll end up in the right system or some manager at the 4th best side in Serie A or something will build his attack around him and get him the right teammates and he'll score a ton of goals.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If you have no issue with people criticising his performance then why did you have issue about my post for criticising his performance but still give him credit few days ago? You have to be consistent of what you are arguing about, don’t just arguing to someone that actually don’t meet your argument. Few days ago you are arguing to someone who criticised his performance, now you are arguing about people who write him off. This is Martial performance thread and majority the comments from here are about how poor he has been this season, you have some issue with your reading skill mate.
Disagreeing about a performance is allowed.

Or is your opinion the only valid one now?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Disagreeing about a performance is allowed.

Or is your opinion the only valid one now?
Hey, you are the one who had issue about mine thus I asked you if you have no issue with people criticising his performance then why did you have issue about my post few days ago.

And you are the one specifically said that this thread hasn’t changed in that case people unfairly slating him are still spouting crap too when majority those people are talking about his performance this season. Thus why I stated If player performs then he will get credit, if player is not performing for months already then he will get criticism. That's the most fair thing to do, can't get anything more fair than that.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Hey, you are the one who had issue about mine thus I asked you if you have no issue with people criticising his performance then why did you have issue about my post few days ago.

And you are the one specifically said that this thread hasn’t changed in that case people unfairly slating him are still spouting crap too when majority those people are talking about his performance this season. Thus why I stated If player performs then he will get credit, if player is not performing for months already then he will get criticism. That's the most fair thing to do, can't get anything more fair than that.
I have disagreed with your opinion i have no issue with you having your opinion and I have not criticised you personally for having it. I can however disagree with what you say whilst not being bothered that is how you feel.

My statement was in response to someone making a broad statement not directed at you if I wanted to specifically criticise you I would. I am not doing that please stop thinking I am.

I agree a lot of posters here have made some good points but also there are some that do not show an informed opinion and appear agenda driven because we need a “proper” striker.

I do not think you currently are in that category so chill.

Classical Mechanic

His goal contributions per year since he's joined have been 17, 8, 11,12 & 23. Last season we were hoping that he'd turned the corner and would kick on to be a top class forward so only 2 Premier League goals and 5 overall is hugely disappointing at this point of the season. I think he's improved his team play in recent weeks so lets hope that he can start scoring with regularity again. It's a real possibility that Cavani will bench him if he doesn't.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I just don't get the obsession with selling him. On his day he's class as he showed pretty consistently in the second half of last season. We always play our best football with him on the pitch as he's got excellent hold-up and link-up play. I certainly now subscribe to the view that we need a more clinical striker but surely even if Martial is inconsistent he's worthy of a squad role here. Why would people want to willingly sell one of our best players for no reason, when we should be looking to strengthen.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I have disagreed with your opinion i have no issue with you having your opinion and I have not criticised you personally for having it. I can however disagree with what you say whilst not being bothered that is how you feel.
You replied to my post few days ago on that different opinion means you were being bothered :lol:

My statement was in response to someone making a broad statement not directed at you if I wanted to specifically criticise you I would. I am not doing that please stop thinking I am.
I'm not thinking that! Please read! My statement wasn't response directed at you criticised me, my statement was response directed at you who criticised majority people in here.

I agree a lot of posters here have made some good points but also there are some that do not show an informed opinion and appear agenda driven because we need a “proper” striker.

I do not think you currently are in that category so chill.
Just because they have different opinion doesn't mean they spouted crap.

Andersons Dietician

I just don't get the obsession with selling him. On his day he's class as he showed pretty consistently in the second half of last season. We always play our best football with him on the pitch as he's got excellent hold-up and link-up play. I certainly now subscribe to the view that we need a more clinical striker but surely even if Martial is inconsistent he's worthy of a squad role here. Why would people want to willingly sell one of our best players for no reason, when we should be looking to strengthen.
Kinda subscribe to the same idea although personally if we somehow buy Haaland to me he’s going to be better with Martial playing with him. He’s going to need someone to slip him through and hold up the ball and bring him in to play and that’s Martial.
If we were to bring Haaland in as well the system would have to change or either Bruno stops playing as a CF and focuses more on being in midfield. Or like what happens now Martial keeps filling in for Bruno. Which he can do off the left.
Haaland isn’t going to drop deep, hold the ball and create numerous chances for his team mates. Simply his touch and passing isn’t good enough to do it. Scores goals galore and has impeccable movement and desire to score so healthy trade off in my opinion.

People saying as well if we sell Martial he’ll end up at the likes of West Ham or something. Let’s not fool ourselves the best teams in Europe are going to want to buy him and probably some of the best teams in the prem.

Tomics

I don't understand it too. When will people realize selling him make us weak to some extent.
I don't understand it too. When will people realize selling him makes us weaker to some extent

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Kinda subscribe to the same idea although personally if we somehow buy Haaland to me he’s going to be better with Martial playing with him. He’s going to need someone to slip him through and hold up the ball and bring him in to play and that’s Martial.
If we were to bring Haaland in as well the system would have to change or either Bruno stops playing as a CF and focuses more on being in midfield. Or like what happens now Martial keeps filling in for Bruno. Which he can do off the left.
Haaland isn’t going to drop deep, hold the ball and create numerous chances for his team mates. Simply his touch and passing isn’t good enough to do it. Scores goals galore and has impeccable movement and desire to score so healthy trade off in my opinion.

People saying as well if we sell Martial he’ll end up at the likes of West Ham or something. Let’s not fool ourselves the best teams in Europe are going to want to buy him and probably some of the best teams in the prem.
Haaland is capable of what you think he isn't. His latest BL game is a good proof. Of course he is an amazing scorer but other aspects of his game are very good.
People are mistaking him for just a goalscorer

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I’ve never understood wanting to sell him he does have qualities not a lot of players in world football possess when he is playing well. However I have understood people’s frustrations at him. Last season was I think a good judge of him and showed what he can do for the side.

I do think any good squad always needs options in terms of strikers so have never been against competition for him but selling him would do more harm then good as I don’t see an available guaranteed better option. Of course there are better strikers than Martial but how affordable and attainable they are has always been a huge question mark for me.
There is no grey areas for some people :lol:. A player is either shit or great
I think that’s frustrating me most. I like Marital as most know but even I’ll admit he’s had poor games etc. Becomes impossible to talk to people about him at times as you can’t bring up stats as they’ll say they aren’t relevant or you can’t talk then about observations as they’ll just say it’s an opinion etc

Haaland is obviously better on behind defences but he can hold the ball up better than a lot give him credit for.

Of course Martial is in my view comfortably the better at linking and creating but there is nothing wrong with having different styles.

OldTrevil

This is the only season that Martial hasn't been highly clinical, and we're not even halfway through. His goal numbers are down, sure, but claiming he doesn't have the required finishing level is way off. Similarly to those clamoring for his replacement by a less clinical Cavani

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This is the only season that Martial hasn't been highly clinical, and we're not even halfway through. His goal numbers are down, sure, but claiming he doesn't have the required finishing level is way off. Similarly to those clamoring for his replacement by a less clinical Cavani
I'm a massive Martial fan and you are preaching to the choir about his abilities including finishing as he's shown some excellent finishing in his time here. However, he doesn't have the natural instincts of a predatory striker and that will likely ensure he never goes and scores 30 goals a season like a Haaland will guarantee you. I still personally think he's better than Cavani and this is shown as the team tends to play off of Martial really well but its been clear watching Cavani play that we need someone else who can offer that same movement in the box to give defences something else to think about. Haaland would be that player, but outside of him, I don't think theres as many upgrades available as his detractors seem to think.

rooney2009

We play better with Martial in the Team,
He may have lost his goal scoring touch atm but He is still a very important player for us

Andersons Dietician

Haaland is capable of what you think he isn't. His latest BL game is a good proof. Of course he is an amazing scorer but other aspects of his game are very good.
People are mistaking him for just a goalscorer
One game doesn’t negate the others But I disagree, hopefully it’s something he can work on and get a better touch and be better playing with his back to goal and bring others in to play. I still want him but for me he needs someone like Martial to get the best out of him.

OldTrevil

I'm a massive Martial fan and you are preaching to the choir about his abilities including finishing as he's shown some excellent finishing in his time here. However, he doesn't have the natural instincts of a predatory striker and that will likely ensure he never goes and scores 30 goals a season like a Haaland will guarantee you. I still personally think he's better than Cavani and this is shown as the team tends to play off of Martial really well but its been clear watching Cavani play that we need someone else who can offer that same movement in the box to give defences something else to think about. Haaland would be that player, but outside of him, I don't think theres as many upgrades available as his detractors seem to think.
The second half of last season after Bruno joined and we had someone else to create, and Rashy was injured, Martial showed all the instincts of an out and out nine when we needed him to deliver the goals. I believe he can be a 30 goals a season striker if we had a system to mainly feed the nine, but that's not our current system and we don't need it to be because we have goal scorers throughout the attack and midfield.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
One game doesn’t negate the others But I disagree, hopefully it’s something he can work on and get a better touch and be better playing with his back to goal and bring others in to play. I still want him but for me he needs someone like Martial to get the best out of him.
Have no doubt it I'd say. He is already doing consistently the most difficult aspect of his role.
The rest he will gain with experience and time. The early signs are amazing IMHO

Polar

Haaland isn’t going to drop deep, hold the ball and create numerous chances for his team mates. Simply his touch and passing isn’t good enough to do it.
Very funny.. Is it a joke? Perhaps it was the status a couple of years ago - when he was 18y.

I’ve been very impressed of how good he has become regarding everything you are mentioning. That’s what I call perfect development. His average air-skills is probably one of the few things to put the finger on.

Seems like you haven’t watched him play many times this season, are very biased:wenger: or just are trolling around.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That chance at the end was Cole-Yorke-esque between himself and Cavani. Shame about the finish.

el3mel

His finishing has become ridiculous.

5 goals in 21 and he played most of them as a striker. Feck me. :lol:

Anyway, top of the league so I don't want to spend more time on him.

snk123

Will be rated as the worst player now by the haters after the last miss. He had to connect to a bouncing volley ffs

I thought he was good today. Getting better.

rooney2009

People can’t just wait to have a go
We are top of the League for the 1st time in years and we need him against Liverpool
He will regain his form soon

Nr.7

For those defending Martial
If he was playing like that and scoring 5 in 21 for another team would you want us to sign him?

Status
Not open for further replies.