Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

He did decent, a lot of people either going way ott in either their praise or criticism of him, 2 extremes.We were playing a team 16 th in the league, we were always going to have lots of possession, a little unusual for us maybe, so he was going to see plenty of the ball. He did some good things and some not so good. One thing he did though that I always criticise him for is his press, he seems so reluctant at times to press defenders on the ball.In around 82nd minute he chased after defender down towards their corner flag and kept the pressure on him, was refreshing to see, and hopefully Ole is reinforcing this to our strikers ie the need to press.
I tend to agree that he wasn't brilliant yesterday but he was good. Burnley being 16th means very little, themselves and Wolves are often some of our hardest games and we usually create very little against them. I was very happy with a 1 - 0 result.

Raven

The piece of play at the end between Cavani and Martial was great, you can see that Martial I'd learning from him, Cavani loves to dummy and let the ball run and Martial seems to be incorporating that into his game now. Hopefully it isn't the only thing he picks up from him.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I thought Martial did well yesterday. On another day we score 3+ goals with the chances we had. That front 4 of Martial, Cavani, Rashford and Bruno is as good as any in Europe...

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Even before the miss at the end, he fluffed other chances. I remember one in the second half where he was played through (by Cavani I think) but took too many touches rather than just trying to get a toe-poke on goal.

Just not that impressed with him lately. Rashford has had similar issues. It is a significant problem when none of our forwards are consistently scoring.

Hawks2008

His play is fine but the lack of goals is inexcusable as the main striker. 5 in 20 is nowhere near good enough. Needs a big 2nd half of the season.

Brad2020

His play is fine but the lack of goals is inexcusable as the main striker. 5 in 20 is nowhere near good enough. Needs a big 2nd half of the season.
I agree he seems to be able to do everything well this year but score.

I recognize he's not a natural number 9, but he's got to tie us over for at least the next year in the half until other transfer priorities are filled.

I hope he can get his groove back....some of the shots he's taking are going off a mile wide...it's making Tahith Chong look pretty good.

DRM

Huge game for him today, he simply has to step up!

Guv77

Up against 2 midfielders playing at CB. If he can’t do it today he never will.

Raven

Thought he was pretty good but I'm absolutely astounded by the decision to play him out wide and Rashford up top. Rashford should have made way for Cavani.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Well, that was an invisible performance. I didn't even notice he was playing till he was subbed off.
Yet he was still better than the other two attackers. Martial really should have been moved upfront to give their defenders a different problem instead of them being able to just stand still and let Rashford run offside every time.

amsoUG

Martial, Pogba, DVB, Mata play differently to Rashford, Bruno, Mason - the former want to work with the ball to play towards a team's objective (usually selfless), the latter want the ball to make individual contributions (usually selfish and glory hunters).

I like Bruno, Rashy and Mason but they have to realign their ambitions to be more selfless if everyone is to play (combine) well.

And why is Bruno always either in the wing or in the CF position? - possibly fears losing the ball in the congested #10 position. The coaches need to sort this out because our team shape is crippled by this
Came back to highlight what I observed after the Man City game as it seemed relevant today.

el3mel

Yet he was still better than the other two attackers. Martial really should have been moved upfront to give their defenders a different problem instead of them being able to just stand still and let Rashford run offside every time.
Better than Rashford today isn't really an achievement, because he was putting on a 1/10 performance. I mean it's not a competition between both. Martial did feck all at the end of the day.

Ashish Negi

If not injury then subbing him off instead of Rashy or any of scott & Fred was awful decision

rooney2009

Better than Rashford today isn't really an achievement, because he was putting on a 1/10 performance. I mean it's not a competition between both. Martial did feck all at the end of the day.
You are a joker
Martial was our best attacking outlet all game
I thought he had a very good game

acnumber9

Unless he’s still injured he probably should’ve stayed on instead of Rashford. He wasn’t particularly good either but he kept the ball a little better.

Sylar

Assuming he was physically done after the injury last game hence why he came off

He was better than Rashford and some of his hold up play and link with Shaw was good

Guessing he played wide instead of Rashford to try and exploit the high line

InfiniteBoredom

Thought he was pretty good but I'm absolutely astounded by the decision to play him out wide and Rashford up top. Rashford should have made way for Cavani.
I get the idea that Ole wanted Rashford’s pace up front to trouble their makeshift CB pairing, but surely in that case just play a front 2 instead?

Him not passing at the end was atrocious but can’t help but feel both him and Martial was hung out to dry today by the set up. Swap their position and I think we’d have score a goal.

el3mel

You are a joker
Martial was our best attacking outlet all game
I thought he had a very good game
Who said he was our worst attacking player. It's not a competition. Just because Rashford was crap it doesn't mean Martial was doing great.

Martial fans my man.

PoTMS

He's been better than Rashford recently despite him scoring less goals. Only thing is he is slower than him also so unfortunately is benched first.

Raven

I get the idea that Ole wanted Rashford’s pace up front to trouble their makeshift CB pairing, but surely in that case just play a front 2 instead?

Him not passing at the end was atrocious but can’t help but feel both him and Martial was hung out to dry today by the set up. Swap their position and I think we’d have score a goal.
Yeah, I suppose I do understand what Ole was going for but I would prefer Rashford making his runs from the left channel, he times them excellently, up front, not so much. That would leave Martial to do what he does, hold and link the play.

Andersons Dietician

Thought defensivly first half he was excellent. So you can kind of see why Ole put him there as he’s just a better defender than Rashford. Heat map after that first half had him further back than Pogba , Bruno and Rashford.

When he got forward he was probably the best out of the lot at holding and creating stuff even if at the start he was quite sloppy. He made some good runs and that one where he outmuscled like 3 Liverpool players was good.
Guessing he wasn’t fully fit hence why he was taken off becuase he was better than some of the others.

snk123

Who said he was our worst attacking player. It's not a competition. Just because Rashford was crap it doesn't mean Martial was doing great.

Martial fans my man.
Martial haters my man. He was dribbling past 3 players, keeping the ball and passing while we were constantly under pressure and were not having the ball at all.

Pablo76

Can’t be sold quickly enough for me, brings the mood down whenever he plays with his poor body language, miserable face and lack of effort.

Genuinely don’t know what he’s even good at anymore.

Ashish Negi

Can’t be sold quickly enough for me, brings the mood down whenever he plays with his poor body language, miserable face and lack of effort.

Genuinely don’t know what he’s even good at anymore.
You might have liked happy Rashford face and performance? Keep your hatred to yourself

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Great hold up great feet and linked up well again but never looked like scoring.

Taking him off at 60mins was sensible prevents injury but we lost his composure on the ball in that last 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.