Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He let the club down massively. Martial is a bluffer and a good time player. Never rely on people like him when the chips are down. We need better.

ti vu

We should have 2 weeks to prepare him physically I believe.
I meant normally pre season for a player after long break is about 3-4 weeks. Even then players may take a month or 2 to get into form. Cavani played his last competitive match in March. Then Covid break, and he was not in PSG squad after the season resume as his contract ran out. Training alone without the help from coach, sport scientist wouldn't be adequate to keep players in best condition performance wise. By the time, teams come back from international duty, I believe more players, and teams would get even more match fit.

el3mel

I meant normally pre season for a player after long break is about 3-4 weeks. Even then players may take a month or 2 to get into form. Cavani played his last competitive match in March. Then Covid break, and he was not in PSG squad after the season resume as his contract ran out. Training alone without the help from coach, sport scientist wouldn't be adequate to keep players in best condition performance wise.
Hmm if he's not fit then it'll probably be Rashford as striker with Greenwood right and James left. Don't see many other options available bar this.

ti vu

Hmm if he's not fit then it'll probably be Rashford as striker with Greenwood right and James left. Don't see many other options available bar this.
Hope Iglaho can fill in, or new signing, even if it's just the Uruguay kid. Our fixture looks tough. Not optimistic at all.

That's why people are losing their shit about Cavani. He was available for pre contract since January. He is the kind of signing that has a deadline in August or early September due to the situation with his fitness.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It feels weird to blame him when none of our squad looks in form.

Pogba hasnt made a single quality long pass, Rashford & Greenwood look a step below this season even if it's just the start, Bruno isnt exactly playing like his first couple of matches and our defence is all over the place.

Get a striker to compete with him sure, but it's not like he is the main reason we are struggling all the time - it can be seen in all 11 players.

acnumber9

It feels weird to blame him when none of our squad looks in form.

Pogba hasnt made a single quality long pass, Rashford & Greenwood look a step below this season even if it's just the start, Bruno isnt exactly playing like his first couple of matches and our defence is all over the place.

Get a striker to compete with him sure, but it's not like he is the main reason we are struggling all the time - it can be seen in all 11 players.
It’s never Martial’s fault. Both Rashford and Greenwood have been better than Martial. He’s a fair weather player.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"

Just came across this on Reddit, as I mentioned yesterday, I felt one of our issues was that we couldn't get the ball to Martial enough. I also mentioned that this was a big problem before Bruno's arrival. This graphic backs up my point that nobody around him was capable of doing their jobs and getting the ball to him.
Nobody is capable of doing their jobs so Martial is not to blame? Martial is one of them, he does not make enough intelligent runs. Neville has highlighted it so many times with evidence in the Sky studios. He does not make enough runs into the right channels and spaces.

Genuine question, do you think Martial is a better striker than Jamie Vardy who is 33 years old? Vardy makes the right runs non stop throughout a game and is rewarded with a lot of goals and chances. Having potential only carries a player for so long and Martial is running out of time.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It’s never Martial’s fault. Both Rashford and Greenwood have been better than Martial. He’s a fair weather player.
It was his fault against sevilla. Missing chances.

Right now their is no fluidity to our game and Martial isnt exactly missing chances played on a plate for him.

Our only goal came from him today aswell.

We'd have Kane as a number 9 today and red card or not- we would not have won because as a whole team we are disjointed. Absolutely nothing that makes me believe that Kane would be the missing striker we needed today because the rest of the squad was passing, crossing, defending to perfection.

I repeat - martial vs sevilla wasnt good enough but now there is 11 not good enough to the standard we saw each player play last season.

I dont care if we get a world class striker so Martial drops to the bench but pointing out the striker as the missing dimension we need right now is rubbish analysis.

3 games in to the season and he gets ripped to pieces but we can afford Rashford 12 bad games post lockdown without a blink. Too much hypocracy on the CAF. He won the pen for Penandes to score.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I'm more sympathetic of him being stitched up with the red card, but that is the move of a first year raw player and I think that says a lot about who he is as a player and the level that he is at right now despite the fact that he's been here five years.

Our only goal came from him today aswell.
Lets face it, he toed it through and dived. I'll blame any player from any team who does this, including our own. It is a scourge on the game and I'm more annoyed when players engineer dives like this in the box instead of getting the ball, cutting it and spannering it into the bottom corner for a legitimate goal.

We'd have Kane as a number 9 today and red card or not- we would not have won because as a whole team we are disjointed. Absolutely nothing that makes me believe that Kane would be the missing striker we needed today because the rest of the squad was passing, crossing, defending to perfection.
And this.. Absolutely has to fecking stop. This is without a doubt the worst of the takes in this thread when it always appears. You're arguing that if we replace the striker who is one of, if not the worst player at holding the ball up in the league, has basically done a three month crash course in hold up play at 9 and is now really only showing raw signs of something minutely hopeful of building on with one of the best strikers creatively at holding the ball up in the league and it not being any different.

It is just a stupid argument that makes no sense. If we had a striker like Kane it would be a much different and much more functional team.

Just came across this on Reddit, as I mentioned yesterday, I felt one of our issues was that we couldn't get the ball to Martial enough. I also mentioned that this was a big problem before Bruno's arrival. This graphic backs up my point that nobody around him was capable of doing their jobs and getting the ball to him.
He barely moves because he doesn't get the service, they can't supply service because he barely moves and can barely hold the ball up. He barely moves because he doesn't get the service, they can't supply service because he barely moves and can barely hold the ball up. He barely moves because he doesn't get the service, they can't supply service because he barely moves and can barely hold the ball up. He barely moves because he doesn't get the service, they can't supply service because he barely moves and can barely hold the ball up. He barely moves because he doesn't get the service, they can't supply service because he barely moves and can barely hold the ball up. He barely moves because he doesn't get the service, they can't supply service because he barely moves and can barely hold the ball up.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
To get a red card because of Lamela, out of all people, that's silly. He must be disappointed. Could have punched someone better.

jungledrums

He let the club down massively. Martial is a bluffer and a good time player. Never rely on people like him when the chips are down. We need better.
When the “chips were down” post lockdown, he was our best performer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
His hold up play has been shocking in those 3 games. Normally I see him hold the ball like ball is sticked on his shoes by glue, but recently hasn’t been the same. And also there was a chance that he struggled to hold the ball in the penalty box against Sanchez.

SmallCaine

He was a big reason why Mourinho kept his job longer than he should have, he was a big part of the unbeaten run and basically bailed the team out when bruno ran out of gas.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He was a big reason why Mourinho kept his job longer than he should have, he was a big part of the unbeaten run and basically bailed the team out when bruno ran out of gas.
I am not disputing that he has good spells, but he also has too many periods of nothingness. His consistency is maddening.

Godfather

He is still one of few capable of producing when the team sucks.

Stupid from him yesterday of course but a ridiculous red card.

Does anyone think we should put him back on LW again when Cavani comes in?

Martial - Cavani - Dembele

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He is still one of few capable of producing when the team sucks.

Stupid from him yesterday of course but a ridiculous red card.
When he’s one of your leading players, that’s why you end up an also ran team. We haven’t just accidentally become a poor side relative to our stature and resources, it’s because we have lowered standards across the board and it’s warped perceptions of what a good level of performance is.

Barnslig

Any chance we can try and get the red card overturned? It was never a straight red, and getting a 3 match ban for touching your opponents chin is a bit too harsh, no?

AJ Bullet

Any chance we can try and get the red card overturned? It was never a straight red, and getting a 3 match ban for touching your opponents chin is a bit too harsh, no?
It was a hand to the face, no chance it gets overturned. If we appeal it the ban would get extended.

Member 90887

Really bad timing for him to miss out the next games.

He's given Cavani a chance to put him on the bench, 3 chances actually (next 3 games since it's a straight red card).

Let's see if Cavani takes his chances. I think that Ole is gonna like Cavani, he's a player that doesn't stop running...

SmallCaine

I am not disputing that he has good spells, but he also has too many periods of nothingness. His consistency is maddening.
Don't disagree with him being inconsistent but that's not what you criticized him for.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Don't disagree with him being inconsistent but that's not what you criticized him for.
I called him a bluffer, a good time player and someone you can’t rely on when the chips are down. Feel free to argue semantics but these are all tropes typically levelled at someone inconsistent.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The most he went without a goal last season was three games. Compare that to Rooney, van Persie, van Nistelrooy and others who even at their peak went 7+ games goalless, in much more creative teams, and it suggests your perspective is influenced more by aesthetics and historical bias than anything else.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
He didn't look good before the sending off. I strongly question the character of this player. Far too inconsistent!
That's the way he's always been. Now he's guaranteed a start he puts less effort in
Lazy player with flashes of genius

SmallCaine

I called him a bluffer, a good time player and someone you can’t rely on when the chips are down. Feel free to argue semantics but these are all tropes typically levelled at someone inconsistent.
In what world is someone being inconsistent turn them into someone who can't be relied on when chips are down. Its not semantics it horsehit, lukaku is not considered an inconsistent but you never count on him to do the business against the big teams, nani was accused of being inconsistent yet i have never heard anyone say he can't be relied on in when chips are down. They mean fundamentally different things.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The most he went without a goal last season was three games. Compare that to Rooney, van Persie, van Nistelrooy and others who even at their peak went 7+ games goalless, in much more creative teams, and it suggests your perspective is influenced more by aesthetics and historical bias than anything else.
You’re using a narrow sample size of last season for Martial, whereas the others mentioned produced a brilliant body of work over a number of years. Not a particularly fair comparison.

I also recall Martial fluffing his lines against Sevilla when it really mattered, although he was by no means the only culpable player.

Martial wouldn’t be getting a start in our number 9 role if we still had players like Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie or Rooney knocking around.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
In what world is someone being inconsistent turn them into someone who can't be relied on when chips are down. Its not semantics it horsehit, lukaku is not considered an inconsistent but you never count on him to do the business against the big teams, nani was accused of being inconsistent yet i have never heard anyone say he can't be relied on in when chips are down. They mean fundamentally different things.
Cool, if you want to argue that phrase, I’m happy to retract it.

Martial is a bluffer, a good time player and massively inconsistent. Happy?

I cannot believe the lengths some people will go to defend such an average player.

Status
Not open for further replies.