Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

He should have kept his cool and he didn't. Hopefully he learns from this.

Despite winning the penalty, I don't think he looked good. Amazingly, I don't think a single player has looked good thus far.

Craig Ward

On a bad day, you have to say that we probably would have been tanked with or without the sending off.

That being said, it was silly, amateur and unprofessional behaviour that cost his team at a time when we needed solidarity.

It's not like Martial to act out like that, but it just cannot happen in today's game.

He's let himself and the club down and should be ashamed

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You’re using a narrow sample size of last season for Martial, whereas the others mentioned produced a brilliant body of work over a number of years. Not a particularly fair comparison.

I also recall Martial fluffing his lines against Sevilla when it really mattered, although he was by no means the only culpable player.

Martial wouldn’t be getting a start in our number 9 role if we still had players like Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie or Rooney knocking around.
I'm using a narrow sample size, and yet you're pointing to one example when he fluffed his lines. Cool.

Van Persie only had one great season with us. In that season he fluffed his lines against Real Madrid, twice, while going on a goal drought much worse than Martial last season.

Rooney was one of our streakiest scorers in history. I suspect he never had a season where he went less than 4 games without a goal. If you feel like assessing this from an objective lens, look it up. Maybe he managed it once?

Van Nistelrooy was one of our most consistent scorers ever. He's a good barometer for what tolerance levels there should be for inconsistency. Martial rarely goes above that threshold but the aesthetics and narrative cloud that fact.

SmallCaine

You’re using a narrow sample size of last season for Martial, whereas the others mentioned produced a brilliant body of work over a number of years. Not a particularly fair comparison.

I also recall Martial fluffing his lines against Sevilla when it really mattered, although he was by no means the only culpable player.

Martial wouldn’t be getting a start in our number 9 role if we still had players of Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie or Rooney knocking around.
Its not about the sample size its about basic english, you have an agenda and wanted to paint a picture that fit your agenda and when called out on the bs you are trying to hide behind oh i didn't mean exactly what i said i meant a completely different thing.

You bring in nistelroy, van persie and rooney like we are comparing those players with martial, i am not doing that nor am i saying he is anywhere near their ability, so stop trying to shift goalposts. About the sevilla game, yes he should have scored and his finishing did cost us the game, its 1 game dude, unless you are trying to argue that the players you mentioned did not have more a fair few big games where they fluffed the lines.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm using a narrow sample size, and yet you're pointing to one example when he fluffed his lines. Cool.

Van Persie only had one great season with us. In that season he fluffed his lines against Real Madrid, twice, while going on a goal drought much worse than Martial last season.

Rooney was one of our streakiest scorers in history. I suspect he never had a season where he went less than 4 games without a goal. If you feel like assessing this from an objective lens, look it up. Maybe he managed it once?

Van Nistelrooy was one of our most consistent scorers ever. He's a good barometer for what tolerance levels there should be for inconsistency. Martial rarely goes above that threshold but the aesthetics and narrative cloud that fact.
The wound is still fresh there, we should have put the tie to bed in the first leg.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I will still give him time, but we all know that he's not good enough

Yesterday was not all due to the players, but more due to the coaching staff and their inability to prepare us physically.

While Spurs looked like planes when running, we were so slow, it's horrible

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The wound is still fresh there, we should have put the tie to bed in the first leg.
:lol: yeah it was a right kick in the balls. Especially because he was so good in the big domestic games! I can't remember what the competition was then but I thought we were good enough to be CL finalists at that point, in part because we were so good at finding big game moments then. Then we fluffed it completely. Feels a long way away now!!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He was brilliant in that away game though, proper hold up play and fighting.
He really was, only thing missing was the finishing touch.
:lol: yeah it was a right kick in the balls. Especially because he was so good in the big domestic games! I can't remember what the competition was then but I thought we were good enough to be CL finalists at that point, in part because we were so good at finding big game moments then. Then we fluffed it completely. Feels a long way away now!!
I remember the frustration I felt so vividly.

SATA

I thought he couldn't wait to get to take off his gloves and got off the pitch after seeing red. He should have contested the referee and his decision more if he felt entirely unjust but it looked like he just meekly accepted it. Even Son by the corner flag told him to wait before the VAR check was over

dogwithabone

Really disappointing start to the season from him. I was hoping he’d turned the corner and would continue from where he left off last season but he’s been the Martial of old - lazy, disinterested, sulky.

Andersons Dietician

For the brief period of time he was on he looked quite decent to me. Was working, pressing making runs link in things coming to collect the ball then Maguire happened and all of a sudden we looked a complete shambles he was sent off end of story.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Does anyone think we should put him back on LW again when Cavani comes in?
I do. I don't like Rashford there and I don't think he's suited to play there. In the couple of stretches this season they have interchanged Martial has looked way more comfortable in open pasture hoofing it with the ball than Rashford has.

Canagel

3 games in to the season and he gets ripped to pieces but we can afford Rashford 12 bad games post lockdown without a blink. Too much hypocracy on the CAF. He won the pen for Penandes to score.
Rashford is a PR machine thats why. people can turn a blind eye to his shit performances week in and week out because he will suck up to the fans on social media and get away with it.
Maybe Martial needs a better PR :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He needs attacking manager. Put him in Liverpool or City squad and he is 20+ goals striker.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

You're right about Van Persie having a massively lean spell during that title winning year, but either side of that his numbers were jaw dropping, both in terms of goals and assists. Rooney was a streaky forward, I'll give you that, but his impact on the team during his peak was far and above anything Martial has ever produced for United up to this point. You're talking about aesthetics and narrative clouding the fact that Martial is a consistent striker, but if you look beyond last season then he is anything but. He's a nice moments player, with lovely technique, good physicality and a pretty high ceiling, but how anyone could look at him and see a player consistent enough to lead the line for United is beyond me. I think he has to do it over a much more prolonged period than just one season tbh, otherwise I can more than fairly question whether that was the exception rather than the norm.

Raven

You're right about Van Persie having a massively lean spell during that title winning year, but either side of that his numbers were jaw dropping, both in terms of goals and assists. Rooney was a streaky forward, I'll give you that, but his impact on the team during his peak was far and above anything Martial has ever produced for United up to this point. You're talking about aesthetics and narrative clouding the fact that Martial is a consistent striker, but if you look beyond last season then he is anything but. He's a nice moments player, with lovely technique, good physicality and a pretty high ceiling, but how anyone could look at him and see a player consistent enough to lead the line for United is beyond me. I think he has to do it over a much more prolonged period than just one season tbh, otherwise I can more than fairly question whether that was the exception rather than the norm.
When Martial has played consistently, he has produced consistently. Last season and his first are the only seasons he has been trusted as a starter.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
When Martial has played consistently, he has produced consistently. Last season and his first are the only seasons he has been trusted as a starter.
See, this is all a bit chicken and egg, because the alternative argument could be that he didn't produce consistently after his first season to justify continued inclusion. The proof will be in the pudding this season, as he has a manager that backs him to the hilt. No goals in the opening three and now suspended for the next three – let's see if he can get lift off after that. I hope so, because there is a player in there.

Raven

See, this is all a bit chicken and egg, because the alternative argument could be that he didn't produce consistently after his first season to justify continued inclusion. The proof will be in the pudding this season, as he has a manager that backs him to the hilt. No goals in the opening three and now suspended for the next three – let's see if he can get lift off after that. I hope so, because there is a player in there.
He fought his way back into that team on multiple occasions only to be fecked over by Mourinho every time. Your rewriting of history is quite embarrassing.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He fought his way back into that team on multiple occasions only to be fecked over by Mourinho every time. Your rewriting of history is quite embarrassing.
Was Mourinho the only manager he played under?

He had an excellent debut season under LVG but then dipped considerably.

I'm not sure why you take the constructive criticism quite so personally.

Anyone reasonable would implore Martial to produce more, like every other highly heralded member of the squad.

Raven

Was Mourinho the only manager he played under?

He had an excellent debut season under LVG but then dipped considerably.

I'm not sure why you take the constructive criticism quite so personally.

Anyone reasonable would implore Martial to produce more, like every other highly heralded member of the squad.
Mourinho was the only manager who mismanaged him. Either side of Mourinho, he has played consistently and played consistently well. For spells during Mourinho's tenure he played so well he forced Mourinho's hand but was sidelined in incidents like Sanchez.

ReallyUSA

Must feel like shit. He is going to pushed out wide until Cavani gets hurt eventually. fecking hell.

LARulz

Must feel like shit. He is going to pushed out wide until Cavani gets hurt eventually. fecking hell.
I don't think Cavani is here as a starter, but more rotation. As things stood without him, we required Martial, Rashford and Greenwood to be basically fit for every single game.

Yeah we have Ighalo but I wouldn't trust him to lead our line if Martial/Rashford were out injured or suspend

ReallyUSA

I don't think Cavani is here as a starter, but more rotation. As things stood without him, we required Martial, Rashford and Greenwood to be basically fit for every single game.

Yeah we have Ighalo but I wouldn't trust him to lead our line if Martial/Rashford were out injured or suspend
200k and the number seven to sit on the bench? Honestly it doesn't seem like it's so. We shall see soon enough though.

LARulz

200k and the number seven to sit on the bench? Honestly it doesn't seem like it's so. We shall see soon enough though.
I'd be shocked if he is getting £200k straight. I know we have idiots running the club but even they can't be that stupid to not make sure the wage is built a lot on performance bonuses.

Also I think the shirt number is a bit overblown personally - not that bothered.

ReallyUSA

I'd be shocked if he is getting £200k straight. I know we have idiots running the club but even they can't be that stupid to not make sure the wage is built a lot on performance bonuses.

Also I think the shirt number is a bit overblown personally - not that bothered.
I don't know how Goal is seen here, but they said 190k in pounds.

DRM

I said before the season started that if we go with Marital as our main striker we'll be struggling. He's not a top level elite striker. He blows hot and cold and has moments where he cant stop scoring then has moments where he cant hit a barn door. His overall play isnt good enough to compensate when he isnt scoring.

We signed him for 40/50 million, what 5 years ago now and he hasnt progressed at all. I say we cut our losses and sell him at the end of the season

I said before the season started that if we go with Marital as our main striker we'll be struggling. He's not a top level elite striker. He blows hot and cold and has moments where he cant stop scoring then has moments where he cant hit a barn door. His overall play isnt good enough to compensate when he isnt scoring.

We signed him for 40/50 million, what 5 years ago now and he hasnt progressed at all. I say we cut our losses and sell him at the end of the season
troll. Appalling post.

Glorio

I thought he couldn't wait to get to take off his gloves and got off the pitch after seeing red. He should have contested the referee and his decision more if he felt entirely unjust but it looked like he just meekly accepted it. Even Son by the corner flag told him to wait before the VAR check was over
Because you've seen a player successfully contest a red card decision how many times? The only thing he'd achieve is a longer suspension.

His behaviour was idiotic and he was punished accordingly, nothing to contest

Glorio

I'm a proud member of Martial FC but he hasn't done himself any favours with a suspension that will give Cavani a clear run to stake the CF position as his own

Sea-Cow

I'm more sympathetic of him being stitched up with the red card, but that is the move of a first year raw player and I think that says a lot about who he is as a player and the level that he is at right now despite the fact that he's been here five years.

Lets face it, he toed it through and dived. I'll blame any player from any team who does this, including our own. It is a scourge on the game and I'm more annoyed when players engineer dives like this in the box instead of getting the ball, cutting it and spannering it into the bottom corner for a legitimate goal.

And this.. Absolutely has to fecking stop. This is without a doubt the worst of the takes in this thread when it always appears. You're arguing that if we replace the striker who is one of, if not the worst player at holding the ball up in the league, has basically done a three month crash course in hold up play at 9 and is now really only showing raw signs of something minutely hopeful of building on with one of the best strikers creatively at holding the ball up in the league and it not being any different.

It is just a stupid argument that makes no sense. If we had a striker like Kane it would be a much different and much more functional team.

He barely moves because he doesn't get the service, they can't supply service because he barely moves and can barely hold the ball up. He barely moves because he doesn't get the service, they can't supply service because he barely moves and can barely hold the ball up. He barely moves because he doesn't get the service, they can't supply service because he barely moves and can barely hold the ball up. He barely moves because he doesn't get the service, they can't supply service because he barely moves and can barely hold the ball up. He barely moves because he doesn't get the service, they can't supply service because he barely moves and can barely hold the ball up. He barely moves because he doesn't get the service, they can't supply service because he barely moves and can barely hold the ball up.
Agree with the whole post, especially the tone of frustration, but the bold part is 100% spot on. Its so annoying and embarrassing that he is in that position and wasn't for a second looking to actually shoot and score. He had one thing on his mind, pull a "Jamie Vardy", and he did it. And people praise it?

Granted, penalties are the only chance we have to actually get a shot on goal, so maybe he's right. But I really wish it would stop and I wish someone, maybe the manager, would tell our players to stop looking for penalties so fecking much.

And he was terrible before the red card. How many times did he take a touch, only for Sanchez to easily breeze past him with a minimum of physicality to nip in and knock it away.

Its only 3 games but man I am so incredibly frustrated with him. What is his best characteristic as a number 9?

Pace? Quickness? No. He almost never threatens anyone in behind and there was a point where he was breaking for a ball to try to catch Spurs out and Son easily beat him by 5 yards. Just blew past him. Tony did somehow miraculously win the ball here, but I swear Son easily had him for pace.
Target man? Threat in the air? Ha ha no real comment needed
Fox in the box? No
Taking people on? I guess, maybe this at a stretch. But it only actually works about once per game it seems. Too often he gets easily disposed.

Last edited:

Clermontois

Supports
France
I can understand Anthony hitting Lamela, but if I was him I would have hit him harder or we would have seen it about it later in the tunnel. Anyone who has spent time in the French Caribbean or the English Caribbean will tell you the people are laid back but any nonsense like what Lamela pulled and you are likely to lose some part of your body. That is where Anthony's family is from so it is almost automatic for him but Lamela should have been sent off as well though it seems referees in England work that way.

The main question is what will the club do, will they back him and appeal? They should but I doubt they will.

K_Ash

he has looked slower..Though quick Son made him look pedestrian on that one-on-one sprint

hungrywing

Opportunity for someone to teach/remind him how to act above it all when opposition players try this kind of stuff. Former probably not necessary; he's never shown a problem there thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.