Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA

he has looked slower..Though quick Son made him look pedestrian on that one-on-one sprint
Yeah and Son had to pass a fitness test for his hamstring injury prior to the match. I really thought Martial would have outsprinted him through on goal

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Eesh. He’s such a streaky player. And when he’s not on form he’s garbage.

Something you can say about almost everyone in our team, unfortunately.
He's done well to escape serious criticism so far this season, I think he's been the worst of the front 3.

Shark

@NotShark
Eesh. He’s such a streaky player. And when he’s not on form he’s garbage.

Something you can say about almost everyone in our team, unfortunately.
It seems like this has been the case for the past eight years now. We've not had a single outfield player that's consistently delivered since RVP's season under Fergie despite spending an obscene amount of money. Something is going very wrong with the coaching at this club.

Renegade

This season has set up perfectly for him to take off. Trusted as the number 9 finally, back in the France fold ahead of the Euro’s and his giving so and so performances.

It’s sorry but if he doesn’t do the business this season we really need to move on and bring in a undisputed number 9. I really want him to succeed but he’s so streaky.

Last edited:

Bwuk

This season has started up perfectly to take off. Trusted as the number 9 finally, back in the France fold ahead of the Euro’s and his giving so and so performances.

It’s sorry but if he doesn’t do the business this season we really need to move on and bring in a undisputed number 9. I really want him to succeed but he’s so streaky.
I love Martial too but feel the same way. I’m not convinced we’d score more with him at 9 all season vs Greenwood at 9 either.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This season has started up perfectly to take off. Trusted as the number 9 finally, back in the France fold ahead of the Euro’s and his giving so and so performances.

I’m in agreement. I love Martial, possibly my favourite player at the club which is why I’m still backing him to come good and have a great season but if he doesn’t then we simply have to bring in first team competition for his spot. ST is the one position you really need continues quality. He did show that at the end of last season though so let’s hope he’s just not sharp.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I love Martial too but feel the same way. I’m not convinced we’d score more with him at 9 all season vs Greenwood at 9 either.
Would you be happy with Martial as your number 2 striker like Gabriel Jesus or Origi?

I would. Even if he cant start every game then I'm still happy with him being our Plan B because he is a plan that requires you to set up in a certain way.

If Greenwood or any other striker like Cavani, Kane, Haaland or others come to take his starting place they wont play the same tactical system as Martial so I'm happy with him being our plan B.

Bebestation

I’m in agreement. I love Martial, possibly my favourite player at the club which is why I’m still backing him to come good and have a great season but if he doesn’t then we simply have to bring in first team competition for his spot. ST is the one position you really need continues quality. He did show that at the end of last season though so let’s hope he’s just not sharp.
I agree with you but no one has been sharp either have they?

I dont see a single player creating a clear cut chance be that Bruno, Pogba, Rashford or Greenwood.

I dont see Rashford and Greenwood playing close to him as they did last season where Martial was playing a link up player between the two inverted forwards. Now the inverted forwards are looking like wide attacking midfielders playing deep and wide which isolates Martial from anything. I do t think our inverted forwards have been great either.

Where has our pressing from a front line gone?

I agree and think we should get/promote a world class striker one day that plays differently to Martial because he is a link up player in my eyes than a predatory forward & we cant always be following one plan.

However, When you look at the Liverpool front line - I just wished we played like that because i see Rashford being similar to Mane, Greenwood able to play like Salah on the RW but we dont ever place Martial or even Van De Beek as a false 9 either.

It's the other way around like where Salah and Mane are trying to create a chance for Firmino as their main attacking threat.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I agree with you but no one has been sharp either have they?

I dont see a single player creating a clear cut chance be that Bruno, Pogba, Rashford or Greenwood.

I dont see Rashford and Greenwood playing close to him as they did last season where Martial was playing a link up player between the two inverted forwards. Now the inverted forwards are looking like wide attacking midfielders playing deep and wide which isolates Martial from anything. I do t think our inverted forwards have been great either.

Where has our pressing from a front line gone?

I agree and think we should get/promote a world class striker one day that plays differently to Martial because he is a link up player in my eyes than a predatory forward & we cant always be following one plan.

However, When you look at the Liverpool front line - I just wished we played like that because i see Rashford being similar to Mane, Greenwood able to play like Salah on the RW but we dont ever place Martial or even Van De Beek as a false 9 either.

It's the other way around like where Salah and Mane are trying to create a chance for Firmino as their main attacking threat.
Yeh I agree overall. I think it’s clear that Utd are so underprepared for this season that it’s painful. We were dead on our feet at the end of last season and that showed and then we had very little break Into this one. It’s clear that every player to a man has been drained and is playing below their level, that’s why personally I’m not putting that much blame on Ole. The team will improve because we have the quality there and that’s why I still think Martial has time to have his best ever campaign this year once we get up to speed.

It’s just such a shame that the board didnt realise that and get some big recruitment in early in the window to lift spirits further and build on last season. Alas we have it all to do after our terrible start.

OldTrevil

All you can do is laugh at the myths and predictions that every low quality or past it striker we get will displace Martial, things that tend go against reality. Similarly the jumping to criticisms about his performances within a few games of the season start.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He did well the previous game, it's just this game the team was dominating but he wasn't as involved.
Actually I didn't see the match so thanks for correcting me. I just hope he doesn't miss out on Euro because France looks like they will win that tournament

ti vu

He did well the previous game, it's just this game the team was dominating but he wasn't as involved.
That's the issue with him all this time. It's not about his talent, or how his team does. He can be invisible even when his team does well. This should end the myth about him regarding not getting good supply. It's about workrate.

sillwuka

When he's on it he looks unplayable.

But when his form dips god nothing goes for him whatsoever. Very uninspiring lately and a bit concerning.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That's the issue with him all this time. It's not about his talent, or how his team does. He can be invisible even when his team does well. This should end the myth about him regarding not getting good supply. It's about workrate.
But nine times out of ten, that's exactly what the problem is at United. Cavani will go through the same issues if the rest of the squad doesn't get it together.

ti vu

But nine times out of ten, that's exactly what the problem is at United. Cavani will go through the same issues if the rest of the squad doesn't get it together.
Don't disagree on our issue.

Just making point about Martial individual issue that hampering him from getting involvement with France NT. He needs to take the chance. Anything can happen between now and when final EURO squad. If Martial fails to stake his claim now, it may cost him the chance during the this season where there is less international break.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Just making point about Martial individual issue that hampering him from getting involvement with France NT. He needs to take the chance. Anything can happen between now and when final EURO squad. If Martial fails to stake his claim now, it may cost him the chance during the this season where there is less international break.
True, but he has looked good the previous game, and it's not as shocking if he doesn't have as good of a game when the team is dominating. He should be on the end of some of those goals when it's a 7-1 drubbing, but Ben Yedder didn't either, although he was a bit more involved. I think Tony will come good if he stays healthy and with the shaky health of players like Dembe and Coman, along with the up and down form of Lemar, I can see Tony making it to the Euro with France, the competition isn't as fierce as it was a couple of years ago right now.

Glorio

Game before the last he had an assist and a goal which ended up being chalked up as an own goal, no?

Didn't watch the last game, just highlights, but seems he didn't really shine here.

Bebestation

Wasnt he playing with Giroud in a double role?

In my personal opinion, Martial isnt a player that you can put in any random system with any random player and turn in to some predatory striker.

Whilst I know not everyone agrees - but there is a reason why many people regard him as a clinical version of Firmino. Not because he doesnt have the number all the time; but he can bring a benefit to our front line if the rest of them are made to play off him.

I'm not sure what Martial playing next to Giroud in a partnership is supposed to do tbh & i dont think Firmino would be any better playing as a side striker to Giroud. They are not the most predatory but they bring interlinking ability for the rest of the front line as a false 9 would do.

I used to doubt Martial's pressing energy and work rate but last season showed that to me also.

I agree with @Sayros that he would be better with players like Dembele, mbappe, lemar, coman playing in the right set up.

ti vu

Wasnt he playing with Giroud in a double role?

In my personal opinion, Martial isnt a player that you can put in any random system with any random player and turn in to some predatory striker.

Whilst I know not everyone agrees - but there is a reason why many people regard him as a clinical version of Firmino. Not because he doesnt have the number all the time; but he can bring a benefit to our front line if the rest of them are made to play off him.

I'm not sure what Martial playing next to Giroud in a partnership is supposed to do tbh & i dont think Firmino would be any better playing as a side striker to Giroud. They are not the most predatory but they bring interlinking ability for the rest of the front line as a false 9 would do.

I used to doubt Martial's pressing energy and work rate but last season showed that to me also.

I agree with @Sayros that he would be better with players like Dembele, mbappe, lemar, coman playing in the right set up.
The different in style is far apart IMO. Never agreed to such comparison.

It's not like Martial is unfamiliar with playing as SS with other forwards. Until Berbatov, and Falcao (got injured then loaned to us), he played a fair bit with them as SS.

Firmino deserves the credit he gets, but there is this overrating hype about him. If Liverpool team doesn't have Salah and Mane, it would be pointless to have Firmino. Same with many other teams. There is Luis Suarez, Benzema of this world that can both score, work hard and be the support to their wide forwarders.

If you're all about building the team around Martial, then his chance to make France squad would be much lower. You need great wide forwards scorers to make it work. Mbappe is great but even him shouldn't be burdened to carry such task, especially in international football where you don't have as much preparation time to fine tune. You need more players that adapt well to tactic. Knowing Deschamps record, he can be ruthless when making the final trim for the tournament squad.

Bebestation

The different in style is far apart IMO. Never agreed to such comparison.

It's not like Martial is unfamiliar with playing as SS with other forwards. Until Berbatov, and Falcao (got injured then loaned to us), he played a fair bit with them as SS.

Firmino deserves the credit he gets, but there is this overrating hype about him. If Liverpool team doesn't have Salah and Mane, it would be pointless to have Firmino. Same with many other teams. There is Luis Suarez, Benzema of this world that can both score, work hard and be the support to their wide forwarders.

If you're all about building the team around Martial, then his chance to make France squad would be much lower. You need great wide forwards scorers to make it work. Mbappe is great but even him shouldn't be burdened to carry such task, especially in international football where you don't have as much preparation time to fine tune. You need more players that adapt well to tactic. Knowing Deschamps record, he can be ruthless when making the final trim for the tournament squad.
Martial wasnt playing as a SS though he was playing as a striker next to Giroud with Aouar being a creator.

It's not about overeating Firmino that I'm trying to talk - it's the position he plays in.

Would real madrid would have been good if it was Ronaldo and Bale trying to play Benzema in all the time in a 4231? Or what is better with the inverted forwards getting forward and narrow with Benzema trying to play them in?

Same with Firmino whose gameplay is their to help the midfield as much as it is there to help the forwards through positioning. He isnt the most creative yet he is their to create chances or help with positioning to allow Salah and Mane to be the main goalscorer.

I dont see why Martial should be the main goalscorer of this team just because he is in the middle. The game has move far long ago that the goals come out from out wide. Look at Kane vs son at spurs; hardly playing like a forward these days - yet in our matches its Martial the further forward. Even if we had Telles x 2 on either side it would make no difference to Martial because he isnt that type of forward.

Just because it doesnt work - doesnt mean he isnt good enough because there is clear tactical set up that would work with him just as much as their isnt. That's why I'm okay with a new Plan A striker or a Plan B; but it has to be different to Martial because the way he plays football is useful in the right set up.

ti vu

Martial wasnt playing as a SS though he was playing as a striker next to Giroud with Aouar being a creator.

It's not about overeating Firmino that I'm trying to talk - it's the position he plays in.

Would real madrid would have been good if it was Ronaldo and Bale trying to play Benzema in all the time in a 4231? Or what is better with the inverted forwards getting forward and narrow with Benzema trying to play them in?

Same with Firmino whose gameplay is their to help the midfield as much as it is there to help the forwards through positioning. He isnt the most creative yet he is their to create chances or help with positioning to allow Salah and Mane to be the main goalscorer.

I dont see why Martial should be the main goalscorer of this team just because he is in the middle. The game has move far long ago that the goals come out from out wide. Look at Kane vs son at spurs; hardly playing like a forward these days - yet in our matches its Martial the further forward. Even if we had Telles x 2 on either side it would make no difference to Martial because he isnt that type of forward.

Just because it doesnt work - doesnt mean he isnt good enough because there is clear tactical set up that would work with him just as much as their isnt. That's why I'm okay with a new Plan A striker or a Plan B; but it has to be different to Martial because the way he plays football is useful in the right set up.
Let agree to disagree.

The exaggeration in the bolded part, it's the talking topic in the decline of CF quality thread. Benzema had a great season playing the CF being the main goalscorer of the team. Zidane after falling out of Bale, had moved Ronaldo to be a forward. He still moved wide, but he's always at the tip of the formation, and allow to roam centrally whenever possible. That's what Mourinho is doing with Son and tried with Rashford when Zlatan was here in Mourinho first season: running the channel off the ball and finish, rather than taking on defenders one and one.

And it's not very different to Martial role playing with Berbatov who likes to roam and drop deep and create. Let's not forget James Rodríguez played with them before moving to Real Madrid. Then they later got Bernardo Silva.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I’m a massive fan, and while his overall game has been pretty good, his finishing has been uncharacteristically poor lately. 1 goal in his last 10, and he has missed some golden chances in that time. I can think of 5 one on ones in the last 2 games of the Europa alone.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He has somehow escaped criticism (well apart from Scholes daring to suggest we need a true CF) for his last few games (including the end of last season) and has also mostly escaped criticism for his stupidity against Spurs (instead those who remained on the pitch got all the criticism). He has also put us in a difficult situation in the league by getting banned for 3 games.
He hasn’t impressed for France either.
Time for him to find his form again.

I like him and the fact he is talented but this season he has to build on his good last season. He is 25 in a couple of months and I don’t want him to be the next “young Lallana or Lingard”.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
Advanced stats certainly don't like Anthony Martial very much:

Bebestation

Advanced stats certainly don't like Anthony Martial very much:

The passes, successful dribbles and Assists show exactly the type of striker Martial is and how he should be played - not as a made to be predatory striker that can barely get in to the positions of a header.

That's why during our best periods last season it was Rashford who was getting in to the box quicker and scoring tap ins. Martial helps that play because he occupies the central areas and provides a link to the two wider inverted forwards. When we play James out wide on the right then Martial becomes basically useless because all James can do is cross and Martial isn't going to feed off those chances. When we play Greenwood, passes are being played to martial and off of him, quick one two's with the ability to put a wider inverted forward through on goal just as much as Martial can find himself on goal. The three forwards (last season atleast) played as a cohesive compact front 3 which can break a defence by themselves through their own dribbling abilities and passing abilities- never mind the added creativity we get from players like Bruno Fernandes.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
How does he look? Is he smiling? joking

He'll need these international games to keep match fit for PSG.

Andersonson

Started for France. First one to be subbed off after 63 min.

Didnt get going at all and was maybe France worst player. Not sure he will be called up next time

yfoFC

Started for France. First one to be subbed off after 63 min.

Didnt get going at all and was maybe France worst player. Not sure he will be called up next time
Sure, the same player that should have had an assist but Mbappe missing a gaping goal should be his fault.

Should have had a penalty.

Hardly lost the ball while Griezmann and Mbappe were giving it away for fun.

Look, I'm not here to say he took his chance or played well cuz he didn't but he sure as hell was not the worst player on the pitch, not by a long shot.

Sylar

Sure, the same player that should have had an assist but Mbappe missing a gaping goal should be his fault.

Look, I'm not here to say he took his chance or played well cuz he didn't but he sure as hell was not the worst player on the pitch, not by a long shot.
Sawthe game and this is fair. I did like how he tried to assist mbappe too, shame it didn't result in a goal

Andersonson

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...EFA-Nations-League-A-2020-2021-Croatia-France
https://www.footballcritic.com/uefa-nations-league-croatia-france/player-stats/1907723

Ratings suggest otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.