Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No surprise he plays and we do much better in linking the play

Jaykespeare88

Superb tonight, him and pogba have the best close control in the team. Amazing coming in off the left and kept working all game. Seems more determined backing into defenders (like a proper no9) and his acceleration and close control will help burst away from them if he keeps at it.

Raven

He's just so important for us. His hold up play and foul winning is such a huge outlet, helps break the flow of the opponents game so well. Delighted to see him get his goal, he was looking low on confidence when it came to the final third but really came alive after that and delivered an excellent assist for Rashford's third.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was very good, glad he scored his first goal. Much needed goal

Ashish Negi

Really loved bruno/rashford let him take the penalty. Class act.
Rashy was taking it but ole shouted from sideline for antho to take. Anthony gave it Rashy before that. There is video on BT sports twitter

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Playing his way into form.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Love how he's showing true number 9 ability post lockdown and that continued and showed in spades tonight

We've missed him massively in the league as against Spurs before the red card he started that game brilliantly and has continued that form in the 2 UCL games since. Gutting he's missing at the weekend still :(

jamesjimmybyrondean

He looked terrifying on the left. And Rashford has been better centrally than on the left recently for some weird reason. I'd be tempted to swap their positions in a 4-2-3-1

Valencia Shin Crosses

He looked terrifying on the left. And Rashford has been better centrally so far. I'd be tempted to swap their positions in a 4-2-3-1
No, Rashford is always better on the counter but playing him as a lone striker is a bad move. Playing them as a pair behind 4 miss will work better because both can move all over the pitch to find space. Martial's link up play and close control against tough teams is vital, and is part of what makes him so dangerous as a 9

jamesjimmybyrondean

No, Rashford is always better on the counter but playing him as a lone striker is a bad move. Playing them as a pair behind 4 miss will work better because both can move all over the pitch to find space. Martial's link up play and close control against tough teams is vital, and is part of what makes him so dangerous as a 9
Whatever works really. They both tend to swap positions in game too

Dominos

He looked terrifying on the left. And Rashford has been better centrally than on the left recently for some weird reason. I'd be tempted to swap their positions in a 4-2-3-1
I wouldn't switch them permanently, but they should be rotating positions in game a lot more than they do when we play the 4231. They basically never switch which is frustrating.

The last 10 minutes against Sevilla in the semi is the only time I recall us giving Martial some time on the left in the last year. He's still so dangerous running with the ball from that position when he's on form, he shown some really good glimpses from the left once Cavani came on tonight.

His hold up and link up is good but I do think he needs a lot more ruthlessness and goal-poacher qualities to his game to be a world class number 9. Too often he goes through games without getting himself on the end of chances and threatening the opposition goal.

Mike Smalling

Really happy for him to open his account for the season. On top of the goal, he was really good throughout the game - had a lot of good touches and runs down the left.

Mick1

How many penalties has Martial won post-lockdown? I think the number is absurd

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Martial n Rashford both have to play. And we have Greenwood n Cavani now too. Great position for Ole to be in.

Maybe playing 2 up front is the way to go again.

Glorio

Was coming in here to say this - of all these penalties we score, how many have been won by Martial? That kind of dribbling ability from a central striker is unfair as in this VAR world, it will almost always catch defenders out in the box

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Glad he's opening his scoring for the season. Does he get two assists for the penalties he's won or just the one from last night?

georgipep

Just checked and from last season it was only one, in the Europa QF against Copenhagen. Add that one to the two in the CL this season and it's three in total.

Andersons Dietician

Rashy was taking it but ole shouted from sideline for antho to take. Anthony gave it Rashy before that. There is video on BT sports twitter
I thought Rashy gave him it to apologise for not passing to him a couple of minutes earlier when Martial would have scored for sure.

Started the game like he had a point to prove, then we eventually struggled to get him involved or the ball to him, but again the hold up play, fight and generally some of the touches were brilliant. Had a pretty decent battle with Konaté and Dayot and binned them a couple of times.

Overall a good game. Quite like him and Rashford playing as split strikers.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Here is my source. Prove me wrong.
Fair enough. Still seems wrong. Also that article is horrific, and at the bottom where they say “they got all the penalties they should have” well I can say for certain that’s bollocks because Martial had a stonewall pen denied against Crystal Palace last season. Makes me wonder the accuracy of the rest of that shite.

Adam-Utd

When he plays well, we play well - and usually win.

Adam-Utd

He’s still massively underrated by Utd fans, vital to the best football we play.
I get why sometimes people get frustrated with him, you can generally tell within 5 minutes which Martial has turned up.

He's either looking a bit lazy and half assed, or he's flying around the pitch playing 1-2s and dribbling passed 2-3 players. If we can get the "in the mood" martial more often than not he'd be given far more credit. Doesn't hurt to do it in the big european nights too!

georgipep

Fair enough. Still seems wrong. Also that article is horrific, and at the bottom where they say “they got all the penalties they should have” well I can say for certain that’s bollocks because Martial had a stonewall pen denied against Crystal Palace last season. Makes me wonder the accuracy of the rest of that shite.
I agree with the quality of the article and their obvious bias against Manchester United. But I couldn't find another source that has them all in one place and am too lazy to investigate game by game :)

georgipep

Vs Bournemouth - IIRC it was Martial shot that led to the hand ball
Vs Chelsea - FA cup
Vs Leicester
Vs Copenhagen

From last season after the restart.
You are absolutely right and going back to the website I quoted, they are also written there. Not sure how I overlooked those! Good spotting!

Status
Not open for further replies.