Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyBurner

Happy that he grew into the game. His biggest weakness right now is his low shooting percentage. Its really stopping him from being the very best. Why does he hesitate to shoot all the time? Does my head in so much.

Its still early and he has time to catch up now that most of our best players are getting back to fitness.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sometimes I feel he plays too much like he's on a five a side, playing with his mates. Too unselfish. Be a killer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sometimes I feel he plays too much like he's on a five a side, playing with his mates. Too unselfish. Be a killer.
He also takes too much time to strike. Ole should tell him that he will slap him every time he fails to shoot in a 1v1 situation, regardless of the outcome.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He also takes to much time to strike. Ole should tell him that he will slap him every time he fails to shoot in a 1v1 situation, regardless of the outcome.
Yep. He wins a few penalties but so many of them happen because he hesitates on shooting that extra bit. Pens are sometimes a harder chance than if he just shoots himself quickly, he's a quality finisher so just has to get his confidence and instinct back.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Yep. He wins a few penalties but so many of them happen because he hesitates on shooting that extra bit. Pens are sometimes a harder chance than if he just shoots himself quickly, he's a quality finisher so just has to get his confidence and instinct back.
Martial for me struggles to shoot with Power like Rashford. He always wants to finesse ot curve a chance he gets.

Its something he needs to add.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Agreed with the comments about his hesitation in shooting, he has some games where he goes for it, but most games he takes that extra touch which sometimes result in penalties, but it's something he has to iron out. He would score at least 3-4 more goals per season if he attempted more shots.

Rashford, on the other hand, is in a good form right now, and it's a good time for the two of them to switch positions several times a game to keep defenses guessing. Depending on the game, Martial may be a better fit for that left wing, when the teams are more compact and there's less open field to counter on (where I feel Rashford is better on the left in those situations with Martial making the runs centrally).

I also think him and Cavani could make a solid partnership once/if Cavani gets back into full match fitness. Ole is willing to experiment, I'd like to see him try this one out with a change of formation.

kidbob

Encouraging signs last night that he was getting back to his best and when he reaches that levels the output in goals and assists will absolutely come. First half he was fouled out of the game (soft pull backs on him but enough to starve him of open play possession) but he was impressive when we started to dominate. I used to be worried about him in terms of his future but that's no longer the case. For me he has developed into a very good player (with more to potentially come) and he is an incredible foil to both Rashford and Greenwood which is important for us in the long term. I think he has also shown for France that he is a very good player so thats a bonus. I'm one of those that believe that the start to the season was more fitness based than anything so I won't knee jerk criticise him for those first few games. Hopefully after the last suspension he comes out fully firing. I wouldn't be surprised if we continue with the front 2 that he develops kore into the Rooney type role where he is more of a creator while remaining a good, but not top class, goal threat. For the final Rashford goal I believe that he provided an assist that normally Rashford wouldn't do in that situation with the roles reversed. Not a criticism of Marcus more an observation that Martial is a bit more nuanced in his final thoughts (Rooney) whereas Rashford can be a bit more selfish (Ronaldo). Both have the talent on any day to subjugate those roles, which is very encouraging.

Finally the penalty incident was vital for us as a team. To see a player give up his hat trick at the time for a team mate in need of a goal was incredible and shows that the team spirit is really good. Even better was a few minutes later when Martial returned the favour by putting it on a plate for his partner.

El Jefe

I don't understand all the praise. While he did some good things, he showed all the reasons why he's not a top striker yet and probably won't be. The openings and half chances he had yesterday should've resulted in a hattrick but on two occasions he passed the ball, poorly might I add and he dawdled on the ball in another.

Last season he had the luxury of being an undisputed starter, he better step his game up even more because with Donny and Cavani in the team we have so many options.

yfoFC

Encouraging signs last night that he was getting back to his best and when he reaches that levels the output in goals and assists will absolutely come. First half he was fouled out of the game (soft pull backs on him but enough to starve him of open play possession) but he was impressive when we started to dominate. I used to be worried about him in terms of his future but that's no longer the case. For me he has developed into a very good player (with more to potentially come) and he is an incredible foil to both Rashford and Greenwood which is important for us in the long term. I think he has also shown for France that he is a very good player so thats a bonus. I'm one of those that believe that the start to the season was more fitness based than anything so I won't knee jerk criticise him for those first few games. Hopefully after the last suspension he comes out fully firing. I wouldn't be surprised if we continue with the front 2 that he develops kore into the Rooney type role where he is more of a creator while remaining a good, but not top class, goal threat. For the final Rashford goal I believe that he provided an assist that normally Rashford wouldn't do in that situation with the roles reversed. Not a criticism of Marcus more an observation that Martial is a bit more nuanced in his final thoughts (Rooney) whereas Rashford can be a bit more selfish (Ronaldo). Both have the talent on any day to subjugate those roles, which is very encouraging.

Finally the penalty incident was vital for us as a team. To see a player give up his hat trick at the time for a team mate in need of a goal was incredible and shows that the team spirit is really good. Even better was a few minutes later when Martial returned the favour by putting it on a plate for his partner.
Was nodding my head along to every word until I screeched when I got to the bolded.

It's a common misconception but Rashford absolutely was gunning for the hatrick there and would have gotten it save for Ole's intervention.

It has been conclusively proven that Rashford is selfish as Martial would have given up the hatrick to help a mate in that same situation especially when he demonstrated such a couple of minutes later by providing the assist for Rashford's third. He is the only player on that team that will do so in the same situation.

This is not bashing Rashford as if both can reach their potentials in their respective ways then we'll be the better for it.

kidbob

Was nodding my head along to every word until I screeched when I got to the bolded.

It's a common misconception but Rashford absolutely was gunning for the hatrick there and would have gotten it save for Ole's intervention.

It has been conclusively proven that Rashford is selfish as Martial would have given up the hatrick to help a mate in that same situation especially when he demonstrated such a couple of minutes later by providing the assist for Rashford's third. He is the only player on that team that will do so in the same situation.

This is not bashing Rashford as if both can reach their potentials in their respective ways then we'll be the better for it.
Well I din't realise that it was an Ole intervention at all. The overarching point I was making though is that it is vitally important that they bot have these traits in my opinion. If we base it off our last two World Class players then Rooney had the team, unselfish attitude whereas Ronaldo had the selfish individualistic attitude. However both of them could subjugate those roles and did on the pretty regular. Thats what we are building to right now I believe (although neither will probably reach that level, but no attacking players in the PL have since) and its vital that Marcus be the 'selfish' one in the partnership because that's what will ultimately make it work. However its clear that Marcus can and has taken on the role as provider many times too.

Ultimately Martial is the superior natural footballing talent (as I believe Rooney was, although I'm sure I'll be critiqued for this) but he needs the driven, selfish compatriot in order for us to reach the level we aspire to be and to bring out the best in each player. Overall we should be happy that they are forming such a partnership and we also have Greenwood who is a freak who will surpass either.

MattofManchester

He's been taking quite a lot of touches lately in the final phase, which is hindering him. There's been a few times where he can't sort his feet out and first touch has let him down in the important moments. I think he's lost a bit of composure, and hopefully the goal will help settle him again.

It also seems like he prefers to go down instead of finishing or staying up when in the box, which is weird.

Still think he needs to improve more and reach another level both in ability and consistency before he can lay claim to that No.9 for seasons to come.

acnumber9

This is not the Rashford thread and your comment is not relevant as I am assuming you are alluding to what Rashford is doing off the field.
Well you aren’t the boss of the thread and Rashford was already being discussed. So I don’t really care what you think or assume. Rashford is no more or less selfish than our other attackers.

TsuWave

Is anybody talking about the amount of penalties that he wins for us?

Bruno has been eating off of the Martial stimulus package for a while

edit - just skimmed through this page and seems like some have mentioned it

TsuWave

Ultimately Martial is the superior natural footballing talent (as I believe Rooney was, although I'm sure I'll be critiqued for this)
Rooney superior natural footballing talent to Ronaldo? :lol:

This isn’t the thread for it, and I tried to close the page without replying but that’s just so crazy to me I had to double back...wow

Mick1

Rooney superior natural footballing talent to Ronaldo? :lol:

This isn’t the thread for it, and I tried to close the page without replying but that’s just so crazy to me I had to double back...wow
whilst hindsight is 20/20, for years according to public Rooney was considered the more gifted indivudual. ROnaldo managed to add a few gears though

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He also takes too much time to strike. Ole should tell him that he will slap him every time he fails to shoot in a 1v1 situation, regardless of the outcome.
He seems to have a fear factor in missing. Likes to only shoot when the odds are massively in his favour whereas Rashford is complete opposite - backs himself to score from anywhere and not afraid of looking stupid.

Needs to take a leaf out of the Kobe Bryant and MJ notebook and just up the shot taking and even if his efficiency drops, his overall potency and numbers will get better.

As for Martial being more talented than Rashford - Rashford has more range to his game whereas Martial is more one dimensional. He is more refined (as in looks more polished) but that doesn’t mean more talented - as I think Rashford can do more different types of skills and shots and is more unpredictable.

Skills

Snitch
I'd keep him in the middle. He can disappear at times when played on the wing, but straight down the middle he's always involved.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
His movement is very important to us and allows Rashford and Bruno to play they best game, but i agree with what is said here.

He hesitates to much when in the box and while he wins a lot of pens i would prefer if he had a shot at goal instead.

TsuWave

whilst hindsight is 20/20, for years according to public Rooney was considered the more gifted indivudual. ROnaldo managed to add a few gears though
There’s no hindsight in my remarks, and I don’t know what public that was. I posted in this forum previously about this, I happened to live in Portugal at the time, and not a single one of my friends thought Rooney was more gifted, you can maybe attribute it to us being kids but that also was not an opinion shared by the adults . Regional bias? Maybe, but I guess the same could be said for Rooney. I don’t know, even re-watching them now the most I would be able to say for Rooney is that perhaps he was further ahead in his development, but that doesn’t translate into me thinking he was the more naturally gifted, no way. Ronaldo being the product of hard work always struck me as a weird narrative, the guy was godly gifted from early. Not too many players with that much skill and trickery plus capable of dribbling so well and at such pace. Guy was a menace.

Edit - This is not the thread though, apologies for the derailment.

HowieC

Correction, according to the English public. Ronaldo , despite not showing end result initially, was always the superior technical talent.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

That's not what happened. Ole screamed from the bench to let Martial take the penalty and he confirmed it post match. The pen was never Rashfords to give since Ole confirmed that Martial was the penality taker that game because he started.

I've seen this said a lot in the media that Rashford gave up the penality when in reality he wanted to take it but Ole shouted to let Martial take the pen.

Rashford was anything but altruistic that game. He was actually very selfish due to him seeking his hat trick. He should have assisted Martial earlier before the pen incident but selfishly refused to pass and decided to try to dribble everyone and score himself. That bit actually bothered me about Rashford that game.

Hopefully it was just the taste of his first hat trick that made him that selfish. Selfish can be good for strikers but not the selfish Rashford showed that game.

Glorio

Just checked and from last season it was only one, in the Europa QF against Copenhagen. Add that one to the two in the CL this season and it's three in total.
Who won it against Spurs this season? Pretty sure it was him (right?), or do I have my Martial FC blinkers on? :nervous:

yfoFC

That's not what happened. Ole screamed from the bench to let Martial take the penalty and he confirmed it post match. The pen was never Rashfords to give since Ole confirmed that Martial was the penality taker that game because he started.

I've seen this said a lot in the media that Rashford gave up the penality when in reality he wanted to take it but Ole shouted to let Martial take the pen.

Rashford was anything but altruistic that game. He was actually very selfish due to him seeking his hat trick. He should have assisted Martial earlier before the pen incident but selfishly refused to pass and decided to try to dribble everyone and score himself. That bit actually bothered me about Rashford that game.

Hopefully it was just the taste of his first hat trick that made him that selfish. Selfish can be good for strikers but not the selfish Rashford showed that game.
I second every word of this.

yfoFC

Well you aren’t the boss of the thread and Rashford was already being discussed. So I don’t really care what you think or assume. Rashford is no more or less selfish than our other attackers.
If you actually mean this after watching a good chunk of united games then I fear you've been watching the wrong sport.

Martial is as unselfish as they come almost to the point of it being a detriment.

Rashford has shown in the past that he's selfish to an unpleasant level and right now is more unselfish but that selfishness rears it's ugly head from time to time as it did yesterday.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For all the talk of our penalties in recent times, think it’s been overlooked just how many of them Martial wins. He’s been suspended but has won 3 already this season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For all the talk of our penalties in recent times, think it’s been overlooked just how many of them Martial wins. He’s been suspended but has won 3 already this season.
It was mentioned in the last page, since the restart he has won at amazing rate. Before that Rashford and IIRC James won more penalties than Martial.

-Supreme-

Agreed.

And it was great to see Martial being so unselfish when he assisted Rashford's 3rd goal.

Siri

If you actually mean this after watching a good chunk of united games then I fear you've been watching the wrong sport.

Martial is as unselfish as they come almost to the point of it being a detriment.

Rashford has shown in the past that he's selfish to an unpleasant level and right now is more unselfish but that selfishness rears it's ugly head from time to time as it did yesterday.
Interesting -- from the point of view of someone who loves both Martial and Rashford, I agree with whoever said Rashford is no more selfish than most footballers. I have watched even Martial try to score when he thinks he can, instead of passing. Rooney even used to do that on occasion. And this occurs more when the team thinks they are winning anyway. In fact I think Rashford had more assists for Martial than the reverse last season.

Mr PG

I don't understand all the praise. While he did some good things, he showed all the reasons why he's not a top striker yet and probably won't be. The openings and half chances he had yesterday should've resulted in a hattrick but on two occasions he passed the ball, poorly might I add and he dawdled on the ball in another.

Last season he had the luxury of being an undisputed starter, he better step his game up even more because with Donny and Cavani in the team we have so many options.
So true. I used to rate Martial but not anymore. Doesn't have enough fight in him and the number of times he lost the ball was too much for me. Poor in the air and not enough of a battler for me. Will eventually be replaced by Cavani I suspect.
For the first time in a long time we have a good number 9 we can compare with in Cavani and settle this Martial debate for once and for all. These debates persist when a team doesn't have enough good players so there's not much to compare the players with.

absolute bollocks mate.

things change during the course of a match. Many strikers would have taken that pen, no matter what the manager is shouting. Players who are confident to take a pen take the ball all of the time. Cheap shot to criticise Rashford, when there’s no need to, and we all got the result that we wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.