Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GueRed

lacks the the drive and determination on the pitch to be top tier.

wonder what excuses his fanboys will come up with this time, or which other player will they deflect the blame on to?

this is his SIXTH season! he aint a newbie no more

MS4

Change Martial with Kane and we would be Top1
I don't know what it is. It's his 6th season. He should be better than in LVG era

I have to admit, had he scored the goal that was blocked by Townsand, we would "hail" him. It was a perfectly timed touch.

Raul Fernandez

Grew up watching Hughes, Cantona, Cole, Yorke, Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo, Van Persie... this feels like karma and payback making me watch an uninterested Martial walk around a football pitch for 90 mins whilst Bruno runs past him pressing their defence like a madman!!

lsd

The Oracle
Worst number 9 we have had. In no way or shape is he a centre forward and he never will be.

Out wide potentially a great player but through the middle he is garbage

Really surprised by the reaction tonight. Thought he was easily our best player with the ball at his feet and was unlucky not to score twice - nothing wrong with the finish in the first half, and was the victim of a great block near the end (after a lovely first touch). And the backwards header was good too.

However, I totally agree on the movement being a huge issue. Surely, surely our coaches are telling him to make more runs through the centre? Is he just not listening?

To sum it up - good footballing performance, poor number 9 performance if that makes sense. Big improvement on what we’ve seen so far this season, but probably best to stick him out wide for a bit as the goal drought might be playing on his mind at this point.

Also, enough with the “sulky” BS. His work rate may leave plenty to be desired at times but that doesn’t mean he’s sulking.Lazy, perhaps, but not sulky.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Yeah I mean when bloody Spurs have a player like Kane and this is our number nine we have to have high high standards and say we need better. I think Cavani looks decent to be fair give him a go.

Glorio

Been one of his biggest fans because I feel he has brilliant natural ability, and when he's on song, he's unplayable. However, definitely not a fan of his apparent sulking spells - like what's happening right now. His off the ball movement has been non-existent at times! :mad:That seemed to be changing last season but this season, he just stands flatfooted when the midfielders are looking for runs and has looked rather leggy and lethargic even when he does have the ball. Just doesn't seem as hungry as he did since Jan really.

If you only watched him this season, you would be forgiven for not realising that this is a naturally very very quick player, and that's a lot to do with attitude, and in my opinion, it's his attitude to the game that's holding him back from stepping up to a truly special player

ForeverRed1

Good player not deadly or clinical enough to be a sole striker playing as a number 9. Look at Haaland/lewandowski for the level and aspirations we should have.

amsoUG

Were people on here watching the same game? Martial was by far the better player on that pitch, bar David. Either a lot of folks on here DO NOT have an understanding of football, or they are just brainwashed by the media. Rashford, Bruno, Mata, Victor, AWB were all AWOL. I think OGS should play Cavani, and rest Tony, for a while just so these fans can understand Martial's contribution.

HowYouDoin

Not good enough for Manchester United, the biggest club in the world. Clear as day. Sell

Shark

@NotShark
As someone who rates him, he's been thrash so far this season. Highly disappointing.

lex talionis

Tony just doesn’t have the drive to excel for United. We’re stuck with him through the end of the season but we really need to start making plans for a proper 9,

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Really surprised by the reaction tonight. Thought he was easily our best player with the ball at his feet and was unlucky not to score twice - nothing wrong with the finish in the first half, and was the victim of a great block near the end (after a lovely first touch). And the backwards header was good too.

However, I totally agree on the movement being a huge issue. Surely, surely our coaches are telling him to make more runs through the centre? Is he just not listening?

To sum it up - good footballing performance, poor number 9 performance if that makes sense. Big improvement on what we’ve seen so far this season, but probably best to stick him out wide for a bit as the goal drought might be playing on his mind at this point.

Also, enough with the “sulky” BS. His work rate may leave plenty to be desired at times but that doesn’t mean he’s sulking.Lazy, perhaps, but not sulky.
Take off the rose-tinted glasses. He was woeful, from the lack of courage going into 50-50s, incessant loss of possession and lack of ability in front of goal point-blank. He kept giving the ball back to the other team, he did not move, he did not press. Zombie.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Come on admit it, he's much more natural on the left wing, LF role.
He is, his hold up/link up play is still at such a raw level and movement is absolutely diabolical. I'm pretty sure I said it in one of the threads I'd be absolutely worried about going into this season with him up front still. He's still a massive dice roll on match day.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Not good enough for Manchester United, the biggest club in the world. Clear as day. Sell
I hate when people call us this because I find it embarrassing. We havent been this for ages. We have never been this on footballing terms even when SAF was around except the occasional CL run and we have only ever been big on a commercial term and on a league basis which many clubs do in their own leagues too. Anyway different thread, agree on Martial.

Mr PG

I've said all I can about Martial. We need to sell at the end of the season especially he must be on high wages and just never good enough for this level.

Verminator

That time where him a AWB had to go for a loose ball sums him up, AWB broke himself to get there even though martial would have been closer, martial strolled around
I called him a twat for that in the match thread, and I don't usually go there.
AWB thought Martial was going to go for it, realised he wasn't, reacted, ran and still got there, from 3 times the distance, AM was.
He was about 8 yards from goal, and couldn't be arsed.

Strelok

Imo Ole should drop him next match and play Cavani. Then we'll see how he'd react to that. I still have hope in him but his recent form simply doesn't deserve a starting slot.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Always been an admirer of Martial and his technical brilliance but he really had to kick on this season from an excellent FY 19/20, and so far, he has been very disappointing. His abilities still stand out but A) he needs to be more of a goal threat and B) needs have that ruthless and clear mindedness in the final third.

Still hope he can revive his season. It's not been all bad but considering expectations and his ability there's no doubt that he needs to do better. His confidence also seems low due to no goals.

HowYouDoin

I hate when people call us this because I find it embarrassing. We havent been this for ages. We have never been this on footballing terms even when SAF was around except the occasional CL run and we have only ever been big on a commercial term and on a league basis which many clubs do in their own leagues too. Anyway different thread, agree on Martial.
I terrorize my friends with that. For example one friend is a Bayern Munich fan and I constantly rub it in his face that Schweinsteiger called us the biggest club in the world over the small tiny irrelevant club he spent most of his career at where hes a legend.
Other friend is a Barca fan. Same thing. Alexis said it, Zlatan said we are the biggest club he's played at too.
One is an Arsenal fan...Im always like..whos gonna follow in RVP's footsteps and join a big club some day?
Well needlessly to say Im not the most popular person in our whatsapp group.

Anyway I like saying it and having that mentality cuz if nothing it shows standards. Its not just banter and messing around.
And to be on topic here, those standards are the ones that Martial doesnt meet.
Have mid table strikers, be a mid table team. Simple as. Enough of our mediocrity mentality. Martial just isnt nearly good enough.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
never rated him, he'd be the 1st player i'd tell to find a new club if i found 4 billion down the back of my sofa.

Bondi77

Watched him against Portugal the other day and thought his movement was good but he was rubbish today.

Fergie 7ime

We will not win any big trophies with him as our no. 9, I would bet my house on it. But I do think he's a good player. I like him as a rotation player of sorts, but I'm not sure if that works with Martial, as he relies purely on confidence.

DomM

Thought he was poor last night. He will always get chances and do something good during the game but he just looks lazy, spends most of his time strolling around looking bored, he needs to up his work rate to compensate for when he isn't playing that well.

AJ Bullet

Doesnt know how to play the number 9 role. Cavani came on and even though age is against him looked like a player than knew what to do in the position, runs and movement aplenty. Martial is only 24 so perhaps might learn from him but is attitude doesnt really give off a sense of willing, compared to a Rooney or Tevez or RVN who even if not having the best games would at least run around and try and stop the opposition by kicking lumps out of them, Martial is a passenger at times. He will no doubt go on a run and get a few goals now but I dont think he really will turn into a great number 9.

Idxomer

Better performance than his last game and if he had played better the last few weeks, few would be complaining. He needs a goal badly though in the league.

Take off the rose-tinted glasses. He was woeful, from the lack of courage going into 50-50s, incessant loss of possession and lack of ability in front of goal point-blank. He kept giving the ball back to the other team, he did not move, he did not press. Zombie.
No rose-tinted glasses. Agree on lack of courage and movement, the latter of which I already acknowledged in my initial post.

Disagree with the rest. Firstly, you’ve mentioned his lack of ability in front of goal. Well, his shot inside the area in the first half was his best chance to score, and there was nothing much wrong with its power or placement. It was simply a very good save from a keeper that went on to have a blinder.

Then there was the header, which was clearly a fine effort and not one you’d realistically expect a striker to score from.

Finally, there was an attempt at goal near the end of the match that he opened up for himself through a lovely first touch to even get into a position where scoring was a possibility. There was no hesitation or anything wrong with his strike, the WBA defender simply made an excellent last ditch block.

As for ball retention, if you rewatch the match you’ll see he was easily our best attacker at holding up the ball and advancing with it in tight spaces. Passing was hit and miss, but saying that he constantly gave the ball back to the opposition is hyperbole.

For what it’s worth, I think Martial has had an awful start to the season, and his frequent reluctance to make even the most basic runs you’d expect from a CF continues to infuriate.

But there was clearly a lot more good in his performance than what he’s shown so far this season (which, admittedly, isn’t a very high bar). I’d put money on him scoring in his next start.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Change Martial with Kane and we would be Top1
I don't know what it is. It's his 6th season. He should be better than in LVG era

I have to admit, had he scored the goal that was blocked by Townsand, we would "hail" him. It was a perfectly timed touch.
As good as Kane is, that‘s just not a likely assumption. Our entire team‘s performance is simply too poor and to be honest, I think Kane would find it much harder to score in our team than he would with the current Tottenham.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
Martial is top quality. It’s the managers fault that they are not setting up the team as per Martial’s strengths. Give him time to adapt, he will be a world class player in few years time. He has the backing and prayers of a large fan base.

Mourinho wanted to replace this gem of a player (and Pogba too) with some experienced player with no flashy skills.... crazy.

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
I
I've said all I can about Martial. We need to sell at the end of the season especially he must be on high wages and just never good enough for this level.
Didn’t Mourinho said the same 2-3 years back? He also wanted to sell Pogba who is also on super high wages. But how did the fans and the board responded to it? They sacked Mourinho instead.

We could have easily got somewhere around 100 mil for Pogba and around 70- 80 mil for Martial at that time, saving a good amount from the wage bill as well. We could have reinvested that money on some dedicated quality players and may be even could have won trophies.

But the fan boys along with our CEO who’s expertise lies in the Financial/Banking sector screwed it...

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Martial is top quality. It’s the managers fault that they are not setting up the team as per Martial’s strengths. Give him time to adapt, he will be a world class player in few years time. He has the backing and prayers of a large fan base.

Mourinho wanted to replace this gem of a player (and Pogba too) with some experienced player with no flashy skills.... crazy.
How many more times do I need to read stale, repetitive, tired old crap like this? He’s a good player but nowhere near good enough mentally to utilise his talent.

I don’t blame Jose for wanting rid and wanting an experienced player.

Status
Not open for further replies.